• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20130925 - Matthew Alper - God Part of the Brain

Started by MV/Liberace!, September 25, 2013, 04:48:13 AM

lonevoice

Quote from: dortmunder on September 26, 2013, 06:44:23 PM
Aaargh! Damned D.C.! Typical.
In my optimistic fashion, this could be a good thing.  Art mentioned last night that Sirius told him they are working on the problem of Dark Matter listeners reporting dropped internet streams.  Sometimes when geeks work on techy things, they break them - at least for a little while.  Imma just believe that Sirius, from their D.C. studio headquarters,  was working on some streaming problems for Dark Matter and it caused a temporary outage.   Yeah.

dortmunder

Quote from: lonevoice on September 26, 2013, 07:57:27 PM
In my optimistic fashion, this could be a good thing.  Art mentioned last night that Sirius told him they are working on the problem of Dark Matter listeners reporting dropped internet streams.  Sometimes when geeks work on techy things, they break them - at least for a little while.  Imma just believe that Sirius, from their D.C. studio headquarters,  was working on some streaming problems for Dark Matter and it caused a temporary outage.   Yeah.

I lived in D.C. for six years. Worst six years of my life. I'm guessing they had a breeze, which caused the city to shut down. Want to know how your government really runs things? Look no further than D.C. But now I'm finally back on the West Coast and that damned shithole is still fucking with my day lol. I just can't escape.

AshamanWolf

Feeling a bit under the weather but I logged on to listen and talk to all of you good people. But, as it is a repeat, I bid you all goodnight, going to rest and listen. Take care and be safe all.

Quick Karl

Hearing Dick Hoaxland's voice is like inserting framing nails into my own eyes - just something I cannot do.

Chine

This popped in my head during last night's show.  Athiest Grumpy Cat.

Falkie2013

Quote from: MV on September 26, 2013, 05:33:33 PM
well sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

I don't think it's just Art. I was listening to Siriusly Sinatra & they kept repeating the same songs over and over and suddenly the EMERGENCY broadcast system came on 3 times and it went back to the feed.
Maybe Snoory or Premiere paid someone to hack the satellite.
Or maybe JC did it.
;D
Now what in the hell do I do for the rest of the night ?
I guess listen to RCH.
*** HUGE GRUMP ! ***

herbalizer

Ok, admit it. Who's gonna listen to George tonight?

CoherentBlast

Seems the engineers of the SIRIUS satellite did not anticipate that which is the Art Bell fan base  ::)

dortmunder

Quote from: herbalizer on September 26, 2013, 08:58:02 PM
Ok, admit it. Who's gonna listen to George tonight?

I'd rather bathe in acid. Nope, catching up on some of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts tonight.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: Quick Karl on September 26, 2013, 08:29:22 PM
Hearing Dick Hoaxland's voice is like inserting framing nails into my own eyes - just something I cannot do.

;D

Scully

Quote from: lonevoice on September 26, 2013, 07:57:27 PM

This is my thinking, too, lonevoice.  I'm one of the listeners who gets knocked off Sirius several times a night, and it's frustrating, to say the least.

When Art mentioned the problem last night and said Sirius is "working on it," and then came back later in the show to say that he had talked to a top-level person at Sirius who told him they hadn't anticipated the "over the top" response Dark Matter is receiving, he seemed to be implying that this may be the reason for the glitches.

I can put up with it, knowing that 1) they're working to fix it and 2) Art Bell is rocking their boat! 8)

steelbot

Quote from: Scully on September 26, 2013, 09:37:44 PM
This is my thinking, too, lonevoice.  I'm one of the listeners who gets knocked off Sirius several times a night, and it's frustrating, to say the least.

When Art mentioned the problem last night and said Sirius is "working on it," and then came back later in the show to say that he had talked to a top-level person at Sirius who told him they hadn't anticipated the "over the top" response Dark Matter is receiving, he seemed to be implying that this may be the reason for the glitches.

I can put up with it, knowing that 1) they're working to fix it and 2) Art Bell is rocking their boat! 8)

I only had the first night where there were issues of disconnections - I was using the web-based player.  Then I switched to the iOS siriusxm app, and only 2 times have I had issue, that was because since it's my Brothers' Sirius account, he logged in and booted me for dual usage.  Other than that and the 90 minute time out.  I've since fixed my 90 minute time out on ios Devices that are jailbroken with a free tweak on cydia.

I for one am taking this as, THE TRUTH! - it's simple, for whatever reason, they have ONE series of land lines that ran through Washington D.C. and are suffering problems.  I heard issues on other channels yesterday too, throughout the day, and hoped it wasn't going to be a problem for Art.

I wonder what is up? I am trying to listen to the rest of the Alper interview.
I get an 1109 message. Is that like a 404 except bigger?
Sirius radio is up, but I can't get the interview.

Alper is pretty awesome, the fact that he upsets so many people isn't a very good sign:/

jinwicked

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on September 27, 2013, 07:09:02 PM
I wonder what is up? I am trying to listen to the rest of the Alper interview.
I get an 1109 message. Is that like a 404 except bigger?
Sirius radio is up, but I can't get the interview.

Alper is pretty awesome, the fact that he upsets so many people isn't a very good sign:/

About half-way through, and the On Demand is working fine for me today. I'm enjoying the banter between Alper and Art.

I'm a pretty laid-back atheist. I don't bring it up unless someone gets confrontational with me. Unfortunately, the fact that atheists even exist is offensive to some. People can tell me they hope I find Jesus without repercussions, but if I say I hope they learn religion isn't necessary to be happy -- well, that's an ass kicking. Maybe it's a product of living in Bible-thumping Texas.

You have to learn to ignore and let it go, it unless you want to be angry and bitter all of the time. 

If you think Alper is a militant atheist, I suggest you haven't met many atheists.

Zap Rowsdower

Quote from: jinwicked on September 28, 2013, 04:32:59 PM
About half-way through, and the On Demand is working fine for me today. I'm enjoying the banter between Alper and Art.

I'm a pretty laid-back atheist. I don't bring it up unless someone gets confrontational with me. Unfortunately, the fact that atheists even exist is offensive to some. People can tell me they hope I find Jesus without repercussions, but if I say I hope they learn religion isn't necessary to be happy -- well, that's an ass kicking. Maybe it's a product of living in Bible-thumping Texas.

You have to learn to ignore and let it go, it unless you want to be angry and bitter all of the time. 

If you think Alper is a militant atheist, I suggest you haven't met many atheists.

I'd like to second all of this.

Tarbaby

The problem is I have no way of knowing if Matthew has his causality correct. Did the peak experience cause the bio-chemical changes in the brain or vice versa. He offers no evidence either way to prove causality, just inductive inference.
   BUT, I would say that to me his premise is still open. A possibility.
The idea that existential angst has prompted the genetic mechanism to create a safety valve. Thus preventing mass suicide.
   When Art said wouldn't you (Alper) worry if we convinced everyone to become atheists wouldn't people become more unethical. Alper says NO because people aren't ethical because of religiosity anyway. Alper is a secular humanist.