• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Classic & Vintage Home Audio Gear

Started by Swishypants, October 11, 2017, 08:24:05 AM

Swishypants

When I was a kid the Hi-Fi was the height of technology in most average American homes. A prize possession that lived in the corner of the family room or your fathers home office that you were never allowed to touch usually. I now have one of my own simply due to the fact that as an adult I can put my dick on it if I want to and I find that very satisfying. However, there is indeed a richness to the sound that comes from it's imperfections versus modern home audio equipment that lends itself to a more "live" feel in the music in my opinion. If anyone has any old--but still working--gear they would like to get rid of, let me know here and lets discuss it; perhaps a price if you would like to sell it. Any other "Golden Age" of home audio geeks here?

My current setup: (All 1980 and older; all beautifully restored)

-Marantz SR 8000 Receiver
-Pioneer PL - 530 Automatic Turn-table with Ortofon Blue Cartridge
-JVC KD530 Cassette Deck
-Pair of Pioneer HPM - 60 Speakers

I'm looking for some HPM - 100's, and a quality EQ to complete my setup.

Swishypants

Quote from: Juan on October 11, 2017, 09:23:57 AM
You need a tube amp

80 watts; REAL, 1970's watts in the receiver. That's more than double how they rate it now. I'm good for a home system with that. It is already far louder than need-be. It will drive the 60's and a set of 100's to ear splitting volume no problem.  I think I found the EQ I want. Just need the HPM -100's (basically JBL's with a gimmicky super tweeter) now.

=Schlyder=

you should get a pair of Yamaha NS10 monitors.   These would have been in every recording studio around at the time.
I have the modern version HS80M monitors.  Better sound than any home stereo speakers.

=Schlyder=

JBL.. Cerwin Vega...  B&O.... Bose... Pioneer...Marantz... etc.   they all made good home stereo speakers for the era, but they still really didn't have great bass drivers yet. Those were found in the studios... and they all had Yamaha NS10 monitors.

If you are looking for speakers that will reproduce the recording faithfully, with a flat response, without adding any coloration from the speaker design, a good studio monitor like the Yamaha is golden.  I wish the audio/music gear from the 70s would have been better.. that music would have been even better at that time. Most of the time we heard that music playing through utterly garbage gear compared to today. LOL

Swishypants

Quote from: =Schlyder= on October 11, 2017, 09:45:56 AM
you should get a pair of Yamaha NS10 monitors.   These would have been in every recording studio around at the time.
I have the modern version HS80M monitors.  Better sound than any home stereo speakers.

You have a great point, but style and period appropriateness is also a factor in my decision making.  The performance desires are mitigated by a certain amount of personally driven nostalgia on my part.  It's infantile but there is a partial "look Dad, I got my dick on the Hi-Fi" lokiness to this. :)

=Schlyder=

Quote from: Swishypants on October 11, 2017, 09:58:21 AM
You have a great point, but style and period appropriateness is also a factor in my decision making.  The performance desires are mitigated by a certain amount of personally driven nostalgia on my part.  It's infantile but there is a partial "look Dad, I got my dick on the Hi-Fi" lokiness to this. :)

The NS10s are period correct.  ...and your Dad would have said..."Don't ever rub your dick on these speakers."   ;D

Swishypants

Quote from: =Schlyder= on October 11, 2017, 10:10:06 AM
The NS10s are period correct.  ...and your Dad would have said..."Don't ever rub your dick on these speakers."   ;D

FUCK YOU DAD! I'M IN JAIL! :) LOL!

Swishypants

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do some research into them.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Swishypants on October 11, 2017, 08:24:05 AM
When I was a kid the Hi-Fi was the height of technology in most average American homes. A prize possession that lived in the corner of the family room or your fathers home office that you were never allowed to touch usually. I now have one of my own simply due to the fact that as an adult I can put my dick on it if I want to and I find that very satisfying. However, there is indeed a richness to the sound that comes from it's imperfections versus modern home audio equipment that lends itself to a more "live" feel in the music in my opinion. If anyone has any old--but still working--gear they would like to get rid of, let me know here and lets discuss it; perhaps a price if you would like to sell it. Any other "Golden Age" of home audio geeks here?

My current setup: (All 1980 and older; all beautifully restored)

-Marantz SR 8000 Receiver
-Pioneer PL - 530 Automatic Turn-table with Ortofon Blue Cartridge
-JVC KD530 Cassette Deck
-Pair of Pioneer HPM - 60 Speakers

I'm looking for some HPM - 100's, and a quality EQ to complete my setup.

If your setup doesn't include a Neve mixing board you ain't jack shit! Savvy?  >:(

Swishypants

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 11, 2017, 02:25:38 PM
If your setup doesn't include a Neve mixing board you ain't jack shit! Savvy?  >:(

MD is MEXICAN!!!

Swishypants

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 11, 2017, 02:42:27 PM
Neve is British, you toad.  ::)

But mixing board at home is MEXICAN! Dr. Mexican Doctor Mexican Doctor!

Swishypants

Now I see why he's a Trump supporter. He came over illegally and is afraid his cousin will cross over next month and put him out of business!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Swishypants on October 11, 2017, 02:43:12 PM
But mixing board at home is MEXICAN! Dr. Mexican Doctor Mexican Doctor!

So, the Beatles were Mexican then? Dave Grohl is Mexican?!  ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ktw6INq0Yk

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Swishypants on October 11, 2017, 02:44:31 PM
Now I see why he's a Trump supporter. He came over illegally and is afraid his cousin will cross over next month and put him out of business!

Just cut a hole in the back of those stupid pants and start fucking yourself.  ;)

Swishypants

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 11, 2017, 02:49:46 PM
Just cut a hole in the back of those stupid pants and start fucking yourself.  ;)

CUT MY LAWN! And YES, I will buy a bag of those home-made tamales! :)

Dr. MD MD

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Your gear sucks! 2nd rate faggots wouldn't be caught using it so it makes sense that you are.  ;)

Swishypants

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 11, 2017, 04:58:14 PM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Your gear sucks! 2nd rate faggots wouldn't be caught using it so it makes sense that you are.  ;)

Swishypants

Come back MD! I was just funnin' ya! You know you're my favorite Mexican Midget!

https://youtu.be/f8aT9oRp95A

starrmtn001

I love the Swishy/Doc, banter.  You guys crack me up!!!    ;D ;D ;D    ;)

Swishypants

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 11, 2017, 05:50:07 PM
I love the Swishy/Doc, banter.  You guys crack me up!!!    ;D ;D ;D    ;)

I do love him you know. :)

https://youtu.be/lF5mIooP2S8

Swishypants

I'm a Coonass and he's a Mexican Midget! Perfect duo for this circus!

Swishypants

I collect things from my childhood because I miss the dead MD and it makes me feel closer to them. Happy?  I am an old Confederate--not that many today take the time to understand what that really is--and you Mexican's have won. I am the last of my kind and fade away with a middle finger raised high ole son. :)