• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Shoveler

The countdown..

[attachment=1]

Quote from: whoozit on May 24, 2018, 11:27:47 AM
I didn’t have a problem with Dave calling people who called grieving families liars assholes.  I was a little taken aback about approved news but I did agree 24 hour news coverage isn’t a good thing.

it was emotional and completely off topic. i don't think it was a big deal, just cringy a moment.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Robert on May 24, 2018, 10:03:30 AM
The place is pronounced Pall Mall.  The adjective in the sense of unrestrained, crazy, is pronounced pell mell.

Makes more sense that if the cigaret wanted to be thought of as classy, it'd be pronounced Pall Mall.  They'd only be Pell Mell if they were supposed to be kinda nutty.

Since neither of our English pedants has weighed in, I'll give it a shot:  neither Pall Mall nor Pell Mell are right.  The vowel used in the pronunciation of London's Pall Mall (as well as the Mall) is the a in pal.  The commercial actors saying "pell mell" are likely a hypercorrection due to unfamiliarity.

bellNwhistle

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 24, 2018, 11:36:28 AM
Since neither of our English pedants has weighted in, I'll give it a shot:  neither Pall Mall nor Pell Mell are right.  The vowel used in the pronunciation of London's Pall Mall (as well as the Mall) is the a in pal.  The commercial actors saying "pell mell" are likely a hypercorrection due to unfamiliarity.

My parents just smoked Camels. Much easier to pronounce. LOL

K_Dubb

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 24, 2018, 11:38:15 AM

Au contraire!  They are pronounced "Camille"  ;D

K_Dubb

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 24, 2018, 11:36:27 AM
it was emotional and completely off topic. i don't think it was a big deal, just cringy a moment.

Plus it was campfire nite dammit

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 24, 2018, 11:36:28 AM
Since neither of our English pedants has weighed in, I'll give it a shot:  neither Pall Mall nor Pell Mell are right.  The vowel used in the pronunciation of London's Pall Mall (as well as the Mall) is the a in pal.  The commercial actors saying "pell mell" are likely a hypercorrection due to unfamiliarity.

I'm not quite sure what this is all about (and I can't be bothered to hunt around) but 60-70 years ago the a often sounded like an e. For example 'back' would sound like 'beck'. At least in the south where all the best people live. Now the vowel has gone further back whereas before it was placed further forward. For an example listen to Celia Johnson in the film Brief Encounter. So Pall Mall would have sounded very much like pell mell.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: HumanBeing on May 24, 2018, 11:33:22 AM
What size was your hoodie?  :P

Well, when I denied him he asked if it was because I needed an extra-large. What happened to ol' sensitive nice guy then?  ;D

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 24, 2018, 11:57:00 AM
Well, when I denied him he asked if it was because I needed an extra-large. What happened to ol' sensitive nice guy then?  ;D

I was feeding him his lines.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 24, 2018, 11:54:51 AM
I'm not quite sure what this is all about (and I can't be bothered to hunt around) but 60-70 years ago the a often sounded like an e. For example 'back' would sound like 'beck'. At least in the south where all the best people live. Now the vowel has gone further back whereas before it was placed further forward. For an example listen to Celia Johnson in the film Brief Encounter. So Pall Mall would have sounded very much like pell mell.

Isn't that a little like getting your pronunciation cues from Katherine Hepburn?

Context:  Good Dave said it last night (in the usual American way we say "mall") when telling a story and much discussion ensued.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Shoveler on May 24, 2018, 11:34:03 AM
The countdown..

[attachment=1,msg1230134]

Hi Leo! Nice voice!

Dyna-X

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 24, 2018, 11:54:51 AM
Or a living example many here would know, Richard Hoagland.  :)

Bluejay

What a creep.

Quote from: Bobs Your Uncle on May 24, 2018, 10:39:48 AM
Well, that is more than a little creepy.

All the passive aggressive bullshit he directs at MV is nauseating, I'm not surprised he's a creeper tbh. He sounds like one of those hard up for pussy feminist allies that always wind up being totally deviant.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 24, 2018, 11:58:34 AM
I was feeding him his lines.

Was that before you became witty?

double XL?

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 24, 2018, 12:06:18 PM
That PTSD really did a number on you.

lol, im a sociopath. im impervious to such things.

Dyna-X

He had always struck me as a deep state asset of some sort and the nice guy thing was just a facade.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: malachi.martini on May 24, 2018, 12:02:34 PM
All the passive aggressive bullshit he directs at MV is nauseating, I'm not surprised he's a creeper tbh. He sounds like one of those hard up for pussy feminist allies that always wind up being totally deviant.

Well, now that I know his schtick he is amusing. I do get mildy white knighty when someone new shows up and he gets their info to send them a hoodie right away before they know any better.

timebandit

Quote from: bellNwhistle on May 24, 2018, 11:38:15 AM
lemacs in my day

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 23, 2018, 01:23:18 AM
the hardest thing ive ever done is zip up the body bags of fallen brothers. the silence is deafening.

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 24, 2018, 12:10:37 PM
lol, im a sociopath. im impervious to such things.

Your story is falling apart.

#stolenvalor

Quote from: Roswells, Art on May 24, 2018, 12:29:23 PM
Your story is falling apart.

#stolenvalor

You remember, Roswells.  He pulled you into that foxhole, patched you up....'member?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 24, 2018, 11:58:55 AM
Isn't that a little like getting your pronunciation cues from Katherine Hepburn?

Context:  Good Dave said it last night (in the usual American way we say "mall") when telling a story and much discussion ensued.

Ah, I see. Pall Mall, incidentally, is famous for its tobacco shops. You see a whole row of fancy cigar outlets like Davidoff there. I guess it's not too egregious pronouncing mall that way. I object to 'Buckingheeam Palace' though.

I cited Celia Johnson because she was Received Pronunciation at its most clipped, but you could just as easily listen to any pre-war BBC radio broadcast for the same thing.

Quote from: Billy Joe Mulgreavey on May 24, 2018, 12:32:17 PM
You remember, Roswells.  He pulled you into that foxhole, patched you up....'member?

no,.id let her bleed out. also, she's too fat to carry/drag.