• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Taaroa

Quote from: trostol on May 06, 2017, 11:00:38 AM
i am not surprised really..i guess in a way this is what happens when you saturate a market like Marvel has and have to fit stories in small windows of a 2 hourish movie...
I think it's more that they're risk adverse and unwilling to try things which are less bankable. Sounds like Marvel execs are the kind who are willing to interfere with a film's production to get their way (Ant Man comes to mind particularly for this - it had originally been Edgar Wright's baby but apparently the studio was making changes without his input).

trostol

just watched something called Midnight Special..kid is special..gets taken by his father from the ranch/cult he was at to be taken to a certain place and time to see that as the kid says a world on top of our world...interesting movie..not quite sure what the kid was at the end..whether he was an alien or something..for lack of a better term..angelic...interesting movie though

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on May 08, 2017, 01:04:59 PM
just watched something called Midnight Special..kid is special..gets taken by his father from the ranch/cult he was at to be taken to a certain place and time to see that as the kid says a world on top of our world...interesting movie..not quite sure what the kid was at the end..whether he was an alien or something..for lack of a better term..angelic...interesting movie though

Yeah, I like movies that stay with you awhile after you watch them. It was certainly intriguing, especially those scenes where he'd "link" with people. It didn't really try to draw any conclusions about it and just left it with you. Cool movie.

Watched Orson Welles Chimes At Midnight (1965) today.  I've always had a bit of a tough time with Shakespeare and that problem continues with this film.  It was sort of weird though as I really did not have much of an idea of what exactly the characters were talking about in the first half of the film but after the Battle of Shrewsbury, I understood 90% of it. Maybe it just took a while to get into the groove.

Chimes is a condensed version of the events in 5 Shakespeare plays ( Henry IV Parts 1 and 2, Henry V Parts 1 and 2 and The Merry Wives of Windsor) focusing mostly on the character of Sir John Falstaff, a vagabond knight and general ne'er-do-well. Filmed on a paltry budget and little seen over the years due to poor distribution, this film has been restored and looks beautiful hardly betraying its low budget.  Welles plays the rotund villain and John Gielgud brilliantly plays Henry IV and Keith Baxter (a stage actor of some acclaim) plays Henry V.  Jeanne Moreau,  Margaret Rutherford and Fernando Rey are some of the other names in the cast.

Welles allegedly designed every costume worn by every member of the cast so this was clearly a labor of love on his part.  The highlight of the film is the Battle of Shrewsbury.  This is the first time a medieval battle was realistically filmed and it was brilliantly  filmed at that.  This is not the romanticized view of war that Hollywood had presented previously. Blood and mud are everywhere and quick cuts abound.  To me, this is a film where the parts are greater than the sum but that may change with another viewing.  As  I said, I had a hard time following the events in the first part of the film.  That fault may be mine and I'm inclined to be lenient toward this film.  I do recommend it as a must for any fan of Shakespeare and even for casual moviegoers who like period pieces.  The notorious cult filmmaker, Jesus Franco, was assistant director on this film but his film credit was removed due to a dispute Welles had with him.  None of Franco's filmmaking techniques show and this film is totally the vision of Welles.  3.75 stars for Chimes At Midnight.

In a closing note of humor,  Welles was so fat before this film that he had to go on a diet to portray Falstaff.  LOL. 

GravitySucks

Question:

Has anyone watched the TNT series, The Librarians?

Is it worth starting? 

p.s. I didn't know Bob Newhart was still alive.

https://youtu.be/8zh87m7vP00

trostol

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 11, 2017, 08:31:56 PM
Question:

Has anyone watched the TNT series, The Librarians?

Is it worth starting? 

p.s. I didn't know Bob Newhart was still alive.

https://youtu.be/8zh87m7vP00

i have them all..just haven't gotten to watch them..the movies were decent..if it is like the movies its "fantastical" with action and humor

GravitySucks

Quote from: trostol on May 11, 2017, 10:26:41 PM
i have them all..just haven't gotten to watch them..the movies were decent..if it is like the movies its "fantastical" with action and humor

Thanks, I watched the first two episodes of season 1 before I knew there were 3 movies.

The premise is cool, a bit corny. The acting and the stunts of the tv series are batman-esque (as in the kapowie bam! Wham!   60's series). I guess I will rent or buy the movies from Amazon prime. I couldn't find them on Hulu or Netflix.

Bob Newhart, Jane Curtain and John Larroquette were pleasant surprises.

trostol

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 11, 2017, 10:34:11 PM
Thanks, I watched the first two episodes of season 1 before I knew there were 3 movies.

The premise is cool, a bit corny. The acting and the stunts of the tv series are batman-esque (as in the kapowie bam! Wham!   60's series). I guess I will rent or buy the movies from Amazon prime. I couldn't find them on Hulu or Netflix.

Bob Newhart, Jane Curtain and John Larroquette were pleasant surprises.

they are entertaining more than masterpiece theater if ya get what i mean..

GravitySucks

Quote from: trostol on May 11, 2017, 10:36:18 PM
they are entertaining more than masterpiece theater if ya get what i mean..

Yeah. They look like fun. That's why I think I will check out the movies before I continue the series on Hulu.

albrecht

TCM having "creature features" on Thursdays this month, so fun. But since the time, I guess, they interplay their commercials (TCM products and events)   >:( but also fun vignettes reals from the past.   :) Like this one just now about motorcycle dirt bike racing on "ash and dirt" circle tracks in Vienna. 500cc motors, run on alcohol, no gears, steel boot on left foot (you are drifting and using it and handlebars to keep momentum the "right" way, no brakes, roughly 90mph on straight sections and 60 in turns. But "the helmet" is an innovation who let's them walk away. Good stuff!

ps: decades ago I tracked down, internet was young and searching was easier, from a similiar short old program on, I think AMC then, about an archer featured in a news real. He was plugging stuff in the air and then was going after animals, fish, etc. And he was dead but the company he founded was still around, forget his name, but awesome stuff. And narrated hilariously/seriously. He got some game fish also (swordfish even I recall?) Forget his name but crazy good aim and stuff.

Taaroa

I watched Italian Spiderman last night before going to bed. Nice little Australian comedy short film from 2008 spoofing old 60s/70s Italian action movies. Only 37min long, but entertaining enough (and the whole thing is on youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zen_zRmbKaM

The people that made it went onto make a show called Danger 5, which follows a group of Allied fighters during a sort of pulp fiction version of WW2. You might've even seen screenshots or animations from it without realising it.

trostol

watching Unbranded and it seems like it is pretty decent, but perhaps it could have done better with out the political undertone..should have focused more on the guys and the trip

that being said..i would love to do what the guys did...of course i am pretty sure i wouldn't last a day

Quote from: trostol on May 24, 2017, 01:24:25 AM
watching Unbranded and it seems like it is pretty decent, but perhaps it could have done better with out the political undertone..should have focused more on the guys and the trip

that being said..i would love to do what the guys did...of course i am pretty sure i wouldn't last a day

Looked it up. Sounds like an interesting film except for the fact that some horses died making the film.  You should go on Knapp's twitter account and ask him what he thought of the film.  I love horseback riding though it has been ages since I did any.  I'd have to warm up for a day or two before I undertook anything like that.lol.  You'd have a very sore butt otherwise.  Note if you ever decide to take a horse on dangerous terrain like going down into Grand Canyon, you'd be smart to take the horseshoes off.    If these are mustangs in the film then most likely they are unshod.

trostol

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 24, 2017, 01:39:51 AM
Looked it up. Sounds like an interesting film except for the fact that some horses died making the film.  You should go on Knapp's twitter account and ask him what he thought of the film.  I love horseback riding though it has been ages since I did any.  I'd have to warm up for a day or two before I undertook anything like that.lol.  You'd have a very sore butt otherwise.  Note if you ever decide to take a horse on dangerous terrain like going down into Grand Canyon, you'd be smart to take the horseshoes off.    If these are mustangs in the film then most likely they are unshod.

these guys have done some stupid shit in their planning and how they went about things..also, while i would love to do it..it does seem like it would get boring riding all day every day lol

Quote from: trostol on May 24, 2017, 01:45:56 AM
these guys have done some stupid shit in their planning and how they went about things..also, while i would love to do it..it does seem like it would get boring riding all day every day lol

There is absolutely nothing like riding a horse at full gallop through a field with the wind blowing against you.  It is such a rush.  Something everyone should put on their bucket list. Riding a motorcycle on paved asphalt is different.

trostol

Quote from: Attention Whore on May 24, 2017, 02:03:54 AM
There is absolutely nothing like riding a horse at full gallop through a field with the wind blowing against you.  It is such a rush.  Something everyone should put on their bucket list. Riding a motorcycle on paved asphalt is different.

haven't rode a horse since i was a wee lad back in days of camp lol

Taaroa

I finally saw John Wick 2 yesterday.
It was a good old fashioned action film set immediately after the events of the first, but I don't think it was quite as good as the original. Plot was a bit too convoluted and they stretched the suspension of disbelief a bit too much to the point the film suffered for it.  It also had a couple of fight scenes (in particular fist fights between the same two characters) which went on too long for seemingly little reason and as a result wrecked the flow.

While it works as a fairly self contained sequel, it also has a bit of a cliffhanger ending setting up another film.

aldousburbank

Just finished watching Amazon's "Long Strange Trip", concerning all things Grateful Dead. This self congratulatory look at a bunch of dudes, and Donna, who just want to get high on drugs and live free, is an endless hippie reach around, on acid. And stuff.  I mean you've got your flashbacky parade of spinner chicks with bells, shirtless kinda gay looking smelly dudes with a look of bliss like they're peeing on your leg, all practically worshiping drugged up losers who couldn't hold a real job. I mean, could you even call them musicians? It's like, a girlfriend of mine once nailed it when she said "These guys could be pretty good if they'd all get together and play the same song."

So on this goes for six episodes of fansplaining the hippie ethos; live free and whatever. The right to tape shows for distribution becoming an accidentally successful business catalyst, demonstrating the hippie didactic vis a vis, be so stupid you're smart again. And be so dead you're alive. These guys lost so many members to El Muerte (the dead life was particularly hard on keyboardists) that it reminds one of Clinton associates. There is an appropriate Frankenstein theme laced throughout. I am not kidding. Speaking of Frankenstein, special guest appearances by Sen. Al Franken. I am not kidding.

Regardless of the endless lines of blow and hippie chicks, and money, the mystic life of the psychedelic shaman musician is not all it's crack piped up to be, but somebody's got to do it. This predicament is thoroughly over explored for the last half of episode six where we are treated to many many images of glowing white Jerry- like an overexposed beluga unde the white lights, in full opioid illumination, with sweat, in a t-shirt.

I am not just a little surprised that Amazon would stoop as low as this presentation which claims to be about music but is really just sublimated drug sophistry and a Chick tract for the false religion of psychedelic revelation and oneness with the universe. Keep your children from viewing this. It represents the downfall of what all normal people would consider good and proper. In other words, it was just as I remembered it. Highly recommended. But only highly.

Jackstar

Quote from: aldousburbank on June 03, 2017, 03:57:00 PM
Just finished watching Amazon's "Long Strange Trip", concerning all things Grateful Dead. This self congratulatory look at a bunch of dudes, and Donna, who just want to get high on drugs and live free, is an endless hippie reach around, on acid. And stuff.

What follows is a mandatory follow-up:

https://youtu.be/XgxH6O_GR6Q

There will be a quiz later and it will be significantly weighted as part of your midterm grave. Grade. Whatevah.

Just finished watching Amazon's "Long Strange Trip", concerning all things Grateful Dead. This self congratulatory look at a bunch of dudes, and Donna, who just want to get high on drugs and live free, is an endless hippie reach around, on acid. And stuff.  I mean you've got your flashbacky parade of spinner chicks with bells, shirtless kinda gay looking smelly dudes with a look of bliss like they're peeing on your leg, all practically worshiping drugged up losers who couldn't hold a real job. I mean, could you even call them musicians? It's like, a girlfriend of mine once nailed it when she said "These guys could be pretty good if they'd all get together and play the same song."

So on this goes for six episodes of fansplaining the hippie ethos; live free and whatever. The right to tape shows for distribution becoming an accidentally successful business catalyst, demonstrating the hippie didactic vis a vis, be so stupid you're smart again. And be so dead you're alive. These guys lost so many members to El Muerte (the dead life was particularly hard on keyboardists) that it reminds one of Clinton associates. There is an appropriate Frankenstein theme laced throughout. I am not kidding. Speaking of Frankenstein, special guest appearances by Sen. Al Franken. I am not kidding.

Regardless of the endless lines of blow and hippie chicks, and money, the mystic life of the psychedelic shaman musician is not all it's crack piped up to be, but somebody's got to do it. This predicament is thoroughly over explored for the last half of episode six where we are treated to many many images of glowing white Jerry- like an overexposed beluga unde the white lights, in full opioid illumination, with sweat, in a t-shirt.

I am not just a little surprised that Amazon would stoop as low as this presentation which claims to be about music but is really just sublimated drug sophistry and a Chick tract for the false religion of psychedelic revelation and oneness with the universe. Keep your children from viewing this. It represents the downfall of what all normal people would consider good and proper. In other words, it was just as I remembered it. Highly recommended. But only highly.

I never understood the popularity of the Grateful Dead.  Their music was boring, pseudo-country crap.  Touch of Grey was probably their best song and that is about the only one I can stand.  If I want to listen to psychedia, give me the Amboy Dukes, The Small Faces or The Beatles.

Dr. MD MD

Yeah but was Wavy Gravy there?  ???

Saw Going In Style with Caine, Arkin and Freeman tonight.  Pleasant and engaging comedy if also a bit predictable.  I liked this one better than the original with Burns, Carney and Lee Strasberg which I also saw in the theater in '79.  The original had kind of a depressing ending which was common for 70's films.  I'm not a big fan of that sort of dour ending.  This isn't Duck Soup or Modern Times.  Just a formulaic film from 3 greats....make that 5.  Nice to see Ann-Margret once again and Christopher Llloyd steals his scenes acting a lot like an older maybe slightly more demented version of his Reverend Jim character from Taxi.  You'll have a good time watching these treasures do their thing. 3.5 stars out of 5.

Zetaspeak

Got to see Donnie Darko on DVD. Was really trippy, but I enjoyed it a lot. So good I watched it again a few days later, which I hardly ever do. You know it's a good movie when the deleted scenes were quality, the could have added those scenes easily as there was some good stuff left on the the cutting room floor.

trostol

Quote from: Zetaspeak on June 04, 2017, 11:51:58 PM
Got to see Donnie Darko on DVD. Was really trippy, but I enjoyed it a lot. So good I watched it again a few days later, which I hardly ever do. You know it's a good movie when the deleted scenes were quality, the could have added those scenes easily as there was some good stuff left on the the cutting room floor.

need to watch that again..its been a while

gnooryblows

itttttttttts basically a bunch of BS jooish propaganda. im watching it and im just marveling. first of all, there's this guy charles grodin, he plays the "evil capitalist" who essentially is the films antagonist (naturally). he gets stomped on in the end by the big gorilla in what becomes an obvious and transparent anti-capitalism, pro-"environmentalism" move. then there's jeff bridges, this faggot hippie bitchman and i realize he is essentially a literal cuck. why? because the ape kidnaps the girl but the girl falls in love with the ape too. and here's this big monkey, running aorund literally stepping on innocent families that went to go see him at the circus and we're supposed to feel sympathetic toward this beast? he is carrying around his woman and just wholesale slaughtering people. then these mighty heroic white heroes come with flameflowers and climb up on top of the twin towers to try to stop him. they're flaming at him and faggot jeff bridges is shouting "noooooooooooo!" from the window like a pussy cuck because he doesn't want the gorilla that just kidnapped his girl (and who his girl enjoyed being kidnapped by) to get hurt! he's one of these faggot "nature preserve" assholes, naturally.

so then what happens? i shit you not, this giant primitive marauding beast picks up a big gas tank or something and hurls it at our mighty white heroes who are trying to keep the innocent citizens of the city safe from this murderous monster. and when it hits them, it blows them all up, killing them, and jeff bridges starts fucking cheering hysterically!! "YEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!" HE LITERALLY SAYS "FUCKING ASSHOLES!"  OR "PIECES OF SHIT" OR SOMETHING SIMILAR (that part was a couple minutes ago and i can't remember the exact words, but basically it was swearing and he was really condemning them and it was clearly a genuine statement from the film that these guys trying to stop the monster that kills innocents are "the bad guys" cuz "muh animal rights"!). then finally, some more mighty whiteys come and gun this monster down. the chick is so in love with the beast that she is trying to block him from the bullets. she literally wants to be the monkeys bullet shield! make no mistake! kong is a 100% alpha chad! fine. i understand that. but the part that pisses me off is that the jeff bridges character is supposed to be "our hero" and most sympathetic character, and he's watching the whole thing and he is on the gorillas side!

he is a literal massive fucking cuck! finally, the gorilla just died. credits are rolling now. everyone is sad. the woman lost her stud and now she only has her cuck. fine.

the best quality of women is that they are drawn to alpha chads. don't believe those MGTOW people or mens rights activists who try to paint that as a "bad thing". sex isn't owed to anybody. it's a beautiful magical experience that creates life, and it genuinely should only be engaged in by the most beautiful and the most strong. but the part that is awful is the cuckoldry and the glorification of literal cuckoldry by the jooish media via the faggot jeff bridges character!

and it's shitty too because in the original kong story, if i remember right, the "big bad capitalist" is essentially the hero of the story, but that was made back in a time when we weren't totally 100% under their control yet. they jooliberaled this way the fuck up, and even though it was a decently made movie the fucking ultra-left politics and absolute bullshit was just too much to handle.

oh well. you know what? i should know better. i don't really watch movies. i stopped watching movies and TV in like 2012. because i'm aware that it's all genuinely just jooish propaganda. but lately i've been falling off the wagon on that one. i've been watching some of this shit and it's basically just making me scratch my head. it's caked on so fucking thick, i don't understand how people don't see it

gnooryblows

omfg here's the scene! go to 2 minutes! he blows them up, bridges cheers and says "dirty rotten bastards!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2cw5GmGhdI

If the King Kong story isn't a complete cuck story, I don't know what is.  You didn't know that?  You are quick to point out the cuckery but not the _uckery where Bridges is concerned.  His daddy got him into show business, I suppose that is some sort of Jewish thing?  Now, having said that, the movie's strength lies in the fact that Jessica Lang is a stone fox,and of course, is scantily clad at times.  Granted, you might not think her ass is as fine as your own sister's but still....'twas beauty wot kilt that ape.