• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151102 - Cody Lundin - Survival - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, November 02, 2015, 09:08:37 PM

ziznak

Quote from: chefist on November 03, 2015, 12:16:09 PM
I have been a Cody fan for years...he is definitely not soft spoken...I hope he comes on again and focuses on OTG sustainability and survival after a major disaster...
ehhh... his tone has often come off as "hippie-ish" to me.  Remember "David Van Driessen?" (thats right a Beavis and Butthead Ref.) well, he kinda sounds a bit like him to me... at times.

chefist

Quote from: ziznak on November 03, 2015, 12:39:02 PM
ehhh... his tone has often come off as "hippie-ish" to me.  Remember "David Van Driessen?" (thats right a Beavis and Butthead Ref.) well, he kinda sounds a bit like him to me... at times.

I guess my definition of soft spoken hippie is Bob Ross the painter...but that's just me...

VtaGeezer

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on November 03, 2015, 02:06:47 AM
Same here. Yah, a bit to focused on fecal material and cannibalism, but I thought it was a good change up. Wish he would have talked a bit more about specific survival situations. Art was in good form and sounded like he was having fun.
Then I'm quite glad I dropped off after an hour.  I'd seen bits of Lundin's TV show and thought it was another lame bickering-in-the-wilderness show.  After an hour of Lundin bad-mouthing everyone exploiting his TV niche, I decided i didn't really want to lose 2 hours of sleep to hear a 45+ yr old who's obsessed with the Boy Scout Field Book...and himself.  I have my 1960 edition somewhere in my packed stuff and I figure it (and my hoard of ammo and duct tape) will get me through the apocalypse.  Lundin doesn't seem to understand that virtually none of those barefoot primitives he met in his travels are unshod by choice.  I was also reminded me how much I enjoyed listening to a relatively modest Les Stroud (Survivorman) on C2C a several weeks ago.

Dyna-X

Quote from: ziznak on November 03, 2015, 12:39:02 PM

Splattered coffee everywhere I laughed so hard.... "You really should clean that up, Ohhhhkayy?"  ;D

GravitySucks

Quote from: VtaGeezer on November 03, 2015, 01:17:43 PM
Then I'm quite glad I dropped off after an hour.  I'd seen bits of Lundin's TV show and thought it was another lame bickering-in-the-wilderness show.  After an hour of Lundin bad-mouthing everyone exploiting his TV niche, I decided i didn't really want to lose 2 hours of sleep to hear a 45+ yr old who's obsessed with the Boy Scout Field Book...and himself.  I have my 1960 edition somewhere in my packed stuff and I figure it (and my hoard of ammo and duct tape) will get me through the apocalypse.  Lundin doesn't seem to understand that virtually none of those barefoot primitives he met in his travels are unshod by choice.  I was also reminded me how much I enjoyed listening to a relatively modest Les Stroud (Survivorman) on C2C a several weeks ago.

If you look at the Halloween picture that Art posted on FB, there is a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook on his bookshelf. Maybe he was prepping for the show.

ziznak

Quote from: Dyna-X on November 03, 2015, 02:12:00 PM

Splattered coffee everywhere I laughed so hard.... "You really should clean that up, Ohhhhkayy?"  ;D
I still do some pretty bad ass voices from that show from time to time....

"mmmkay... now, Beavis and Butthead... if you want to survive mmmmkaaay then you need stop lighting frogs on fire."

jblank

Quote from: ShayP on November 02, 2015, 11:44:19 PM
I personally think this is a nice break from the usual stuff.  Know what I mean?

I agree. I listened to the podcast today and enjoyed it quite a bit, even if Mr. Lundin comes off as a bit prickly. Sure beats hearing the same stuff about Bigfoot for the 6,841st time.

jazmunda

Quote from: chefist on November 03, 2015, 07:33:59 AM
I was really hoping Art and Cody went more into survival and sustainability topics in depth, and not spend so much time on the bitter TV breakup of Dual Survival...Art used to do a lot of off the grid technology shows in the 1990's that I liked...hopefully he covers that topic soon!

I agree. Not knowing much about the guest I was not interested in his beef with the show he was on. I thought too much time was spent on that. I can see how that might have been interesting to fans or people acquainted with the show but for me I would have preferred that that time be spent talking about survival skills in different situations or ways that the average joe can make his house more sustainable.

I can't rebuild my house in suburbia from scratch but surely there are things that I can do. I would have like the show to go more in that direction.

There was a show that Art did in the 90s with a guy who was Living Off the Grid and it was fascinating. This show had the potential to be as great as that one but was mired by the talk of the beef with the reality show.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: jazmunda on November 03, 2015, 05:01:05 PM
I would have like the show to go more in that direction.
Me too, but it was clear that Lundin was going to make it about him so I switched off.  I think C2C/PremNet have some kind of leverage thats keeping published guests off any Art Bell show, but then I'm a sucker for conspiracies.  Seems Art's lucky to get one decent guest a week.  Hope that changes soon.

ZomZom

Well it finally happened.  I knew eventually there would be a show I couldn't finish, and this was it.  Lundin reminds me of the new South Park character, PC Principal, just that he has a different issue where everyone is doing it wrong but him.

And never wearing shoes because you're afraid of depending on them in some shoe-failure scenario is just beyond loopy.  Yeah, the military has been doing it wrong since...forever.  :o

So, I did some Googling of this guy and I understand what he was saying about his issues with Discovery channel and all, but what the hell is his problem here:

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/dual-survival/videos/farewell-to-cody-lundin/

Seriously, he is walking around in Norway in winter in shorts and socks. Why? What does this teach about survival? I don't understand. Anyone?

Quote from: demosthenes131 on November 03, 2015, 08:34:40 PM
So, I did some Googling of this guy and I understand what he was saying about his issues with Discovery channel and all, but what the hell is his problem here:

Seriously, he is walking around in Norway in winter in shorts and socks. Why? What does this teach about survival? I don't understand. Anyone?

Maybe he's trying to toughen his body up so he doesn't go into shock in extreme environments?

Gumby, Dammit

The man's a shit eating cannibal. Ok.

Ciardelo

To be fair, those were pretty thick socks.

VtaGeezer

Trying out for a gig as a troll on Steve Van Zandt's "Lillyhammer"?

Sehnzeleid

I liked the show actually, Lundin knows his shit, errrmm...literally. Really though, his books are very informative and the man knows what he's talking about. Still remember reading about the rumors that eventually became fact about his departure from Dual Survival (and how his co-host was indeed a fraud). He showed Art great respect and Art seemed to enjoy conducting the interview.   

Dr. Zillions

To each his own......but the "fraud" was Dave Canterbury who inflated his military resume (but still knew his chops and is on a new show called Dirty Rotten Survival) and was the first partner.

Joe Teti a former special operator and Matt Graham, a primative survivorist with little to no ego....aren't about the drama and who is right or who is wrong. They effectively show you what it takes to survive in the wild and if you havent seen this duo you may want to give them a try!

albrecht

I prefer dark socks and sandals during those times, but to each their own. One cool thing about Norway is the allemannsrett, though, oddly, some States here have their own version, though via other laws and common-law, with even more access, like for hunting even. And, like everything, some people take advantage. But a nice concept if not interfering with land-use, owners, etc. And I strongly support private property but still, in the right society it is a neat concept.

whatNOW

Quote from: jazmunda on November 03, 2015, 05:01:05 PM
I agree. Not knowing much about the guest I was not interested in his beef with the show he was on. I thought too much time was spent on that. I can see how that might have been interesting to fans or people acquainted with the show but for me I would have preferred that that time be spent talking about survival skills in different situations or ways that the average joe can make his house more sustainable.

I can't rebuild my house in suburbia from scratch but surely there are things that I can do. I would have like the show to go more in that direction.

There was a show that Art did in the 90s with a guy who was Living Off the Grid and it was fascinating. This show had the potential to be as great as that one but was mired by the talk of the beef with the reality show.

Not a huge Cody fan these days, Cody BE CODY..you bet ! You can PAY CODY for his latest course...a BBQ and lecture where he tells you all about TV being fake....WILL cost you half a grand to listen to him whine.  8)

But CODY BE LIKEN CASH AS MUCH AS He does the sound of his own VOICE, and HIS CLASSIC cars, travel vacation tax write offs, and well...Warrior years he learned much most of it illegal. Most cons, smooth talkers and the nicest folk you ever met.

Just remember it takes a fake to know a fake....Survival skills have little to do with it....Not surprised to see Cody doing another UFO promoting radio station either. Tell ya what to fear and whos to blame for it, and how you can spend your money to find a sense of false security from it. To hell with warm clothes and shoes, GIVE ME YOUR MONEY!
Fairly sure Cody should be doing the Comedy Channel.