• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151022 - Douglas Mulhall – Nanotechnology - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 22, 2015, 08:28:51 PM

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 22, 2015, 10:17:25 PM

Hmmm not sure how to explain it to you that yes a 50% probability is a big deal. Maybe someone else would feel like doing that.

It's a big deal, but is it 50% certain that it's alien, or 50% certain that some unknown phenomenon is causing non-periodic occlusion of some starlight?  I think Art's playing up the first, when it's really the second.

Weirdoradio

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 22, 2015, 10:17:25 PM

Hmmm not sure how to explain it to you that yes a 50% probability is a big deal. Maybe someone else would feel like doing that.

I had a whole thing typed out but then I accidentally hit 'back' on my browser.

GO ME.

But 50% probability is huge. It's one of (if not the) biggest chance that we're going to make contact with another sentient civilization. A half-half chance has never come up like this before, to my knowledge. I look forward to having it move closer and closer so that more of our instruments can scan and surmise, evaluate and revise their findings.

Donald Noory

I still maintain the giant object circling the distant star is Tommy's giant dildo, and the other structure is a giant solar sail (a la Larry Niven)  flown by Jorch, chasing the dildo in order to retrieve it.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: trostol on October 22, 2015, 10:18:56 PM
i get what you mean..but its still..just 50%..will Art or RCH back down and admit they were wrong if it turns out to be the other 50%? in the end we need more facts..which we wont get for some time

Course they would, why wouldn't they? He's not saying it's definitive. It's not his opinion.

trostol

wonder if there is a "probe" being fast tracked to be sent that way

trostol

Quote from: SaucyRossy on October 22, 2015, 10:20:03 PM
Course they would, why wouldn't they? He's not saying it's definitive. It's not his opinion.

lol Art i will give you..Dick..eh...he will say its a cover up lol

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 22, 2015, 10:19:06 PM
It's a big deal, but is it 50% certain that it's alien, or 50% certain that some unknown phenomenon is causing non-periodic occlusion of some starlight?  I think Art's playing up the first, when it's really the second.

This is actually bad for science, because if Art is making people believe scientists are admitting to something they aren't really admitting to, it will further destroy people's trust in science when it doesn't turn out to be real.

Spinner

Hi, everyone!

I'm so glad Art is fine and sounds in good spirits. I want a fun and interesting ride tonight, without any scary stuff.

Tonight's topic, nanotechnology, is one of my favorites.

starrmtn001

Quote from: Donald Noory on October 22, 2015, 10:20:01 PM
I still maintain the giant object circling the distant star is Tommy's giant dildo, and the other structure is a giant solar sail (a la Larry Niven)  flown by Jorch, chasing the dildo in order to retrieve it.
Thanks Donald.  Now, how am I supposed to get that image out of my head???  ;D

Barfly

Quote from: Noorynoid on October 22, 2015, 10:15:56 PM
Not likely, ejected shell casings tend to travel a fair dinkum aways from the ignition point. Recovering spent brass in the dark would be difficult and time consuming and not worth the risk of being caught.
It depends on the weapon and if they where inside the car with the window slightly rolled down, im sure they are looking for casings,Art is a high profile figure.
the question is was the  DDoS and shooting is coincidence, if so its obviously someone that was hired to do it.

Noorynoid

You said 'dildo' twice. This confirms everything.

Quote from: Zenman on October 22, 2015, 10:17:05 PM
Rule 3. No ddos attacks on the website

Rule 4. No shooting from the circle during the show

Well Art did say he's thinking of some new rules

GravitySucks

Quote from: trostol on October 22, 2015, 10:20:08 PM
wonder if there is a "probe" being fast tracked to be sent that way
Why would you fast track a probe that woukd take about 85,000 years to get there and 1500 years to send back a picture?

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: trostol on October 22, 2015, 10:18:56 PM
i get what you mean..but its still..just 50%..will Art or RCH back down and admit they were wrong if it turns out to be the other 50%? in the end we need more facts..which we wont get for some time

RCH won't back down from anything, he'll just make stuff up, but Art's simply stating that there may be a 50/50 chance of this. He's not saying which 50 it is.

trostol

if it was..100% i think it would be cool..but i think we then would have to..tread carefully

SaucyRossy

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 22, 2015, 10:22:47 PM
RCH won't back down from anything, he'll just make stuff up, but Art's simply stating that there may be a 50/50 chance of this. He's not saying with 50 it is.

Yeah I should've simply said art.

WanagoBleu

Ack. Not a good mental image.....Ack.

inuk2600

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 22, 2015, 10:14:37 PM
Weirdly flickering star = 50% chance of aliens?  I'm all for it, but there's quite a bit missing.  They must have other data.

How do they come up with 50% odds?
I hereby do declare that it's a very very weak 90% chance it's aliens and a very very strong 10% chance it's natural.

Catsmile

Quote from: Spinner on October 22, 2015, 10:21:29 PM
Hi, everyone!

I'm so glad Art is fine and sounds in good spirits. I want a fun and interesting ride tonight, without any scary stuff.

Tonight's topic, nanotechnology, is one of my favorites.

Will Gray Goo SKEER you?

trostol

tech may be incredible..but i think it might be used in the wrong ways

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 22, 2015, 10:21:02 PM
This is actually bad for science, because if Art is making people believe scientists are admitting to something they aren't really admitting to, it will further destroy people's trust in science when it doesn't turn out to be real.

Oh please. Scientists are perfectly capable of destroying our faith in science all by themselves.