• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151008 - Kevin Mitnick - Hacking - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 08, 2015, 07:42:26 PM

Quote from: norland2424 on October 08, 2015, 11:17:16 PM
i havent heard the whole show, how much time did he spend in jail?
The first time he was slated for a year in solitary, but I don't remember if he said how much time he actually spent.

maren

Quote from: ShayP on October 08, 2015, 11:17:22 PM
I always thought Kurt Cobain was an insufferable douche.

I'm to the point where I've said "If I never hear a Nirvana tune again, that'd be fine with me."  It seems they ALWAYS play Come As You Are. 

Sorry, Sister Sandra.  :-\

Quote from: ShayP on October 08, 2015, 11:17:22 PM
I always thought Kurt Cobain was an insufferable douche.

Ace is going to burn your soul now.

jazmunda

This deer in the scope is getting shot in every show this week.

BobGrau

Quote from: Donald Noory on October 08, 2015, 11:13:52 PM
John Peel's record collection is more riveting.

You mean his slender man-thighs, of course.

Quote from: Gassy Man on October 08, 2015, 11:18:06 PM
Yawn -- listening to him is like listening to some hyperactive kid talk about how he got lots of Halloween candy . . . except the kid would be more articulate.  Turning it off.
Nothing's stopping you.

JamesMcDonald

If only geeks like this guy knew to hack the REAL enemies...   Like the Federal Reserve, for instance.

Then I'd call them good.

Donald Noory

Quote from: maren on October 08, 2015, 11:20:22 PM
I'm to the point where I've said "If I never hear a Nirvana tune again, that'd be fine with me."  It seems they ALWAYS play Come As You Are. 

Nirvana ripped off Killing Joke for Come As You Are. But you knew that already cuz you're real smart, right? Same reason Dave Grohl played drums for free on K.J. album, as payback.

Quote from: maren on October 08, 2015, 11:20:22 PM

>:(  >:(  >:(

Come as You are is actually one of my least favorite songs by them.

norland2424

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 08, 2015, 11:23:14 PM
If only geeks like this guy knew to hack the REAL enemies...   Like the Federal Reserve, for instance.

Then I'd call them good.

then he'd be dead along time ago and we wouldn't have a good show tonight  >:(

Quote from: Donald Noory on October 08, 2015, 11:23:21 PM
Nirvana ripped off Killing Joke for Come As You Are. But you knew that already cuz you're real smart, right? Same reason Dave Grohl played drums for free on K.J. album, as payback.

It actually goes deeper than that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pb8AAEsZAo

BobGrau

All this talk of hacks and yet Dave hasn't called in...

maren

Quote from: Sandra Kristen on October 08, 2015, 11:20:02 PM

I love the beginning of this Alice in Chains/Kashmir.  I know they play it a lot, but the beginning of this gives me chills.  The rest of it -- nobody can touch Plant, Paige, Jones and Bohham.  (it's the ringtone on my phone  :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S8dF7kCKCg

Quote from: albrecht on October 08, 2015, 11:14:21 PM
Remember the Russian guy who took the Goldman-Sachs proprietary software. I think he eventually got off on some appeal. Likely, -cue X-Files theme here- because if the public knew about the software manipulation going on in financial markets.....

Good memory Albrecht. That would make a good topic for Art as well.

Quote from: norland2424 on October 08, 2015, 11:24:31 PM
Agreed on both points !

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Sandra Kristen on October 08, 2015, 11:24:48 PM
It actually goes deeper than that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pb8AAEsZAo

I sort of look at it like this, there's only 12 notes in a scale. The more songs that are written, the more similarities there will be.

ShayP

Quote from: Donald Noory on October 08, 2015, 11:23:21 PM

Nice to encounter some one else knows this.  i don't think Grohl played as payback...he was a fan.  the dude from System of a Down was going to do it.

ArJuna

I used to almost always find peoples passwords taped to the bottom of their keyboard.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 08, 2015, 11:27:06 PM
I sort of look at it like this, there's only 12 notes in a scale. The more songs that are written, the more similarities there will be.

Pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pidokakU4I

ShayP

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 08, 2015, 11:27:06 PM

That is true.  Maybe it's a matter of tempo...key change.  i dunno.

Ahhh, my days of BBS and software testing for Apple....the good old days!!! When everyone was a freak and payed an enormous amount of money to buy a computer instead of a car. OR some of them didn't pay...Kevin, maybe?

maren

Quote from: norland2424 on October 08, 2015, 11:24:31 PM

I don't know -- I'm not sure we have the best and brightest. 

inuk2600

That would be funny if the key fob was Mitnick's invention. He sounded a bit defensive.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 08, 2015, 11:12:44 PM
Me too, but they would never tell us so we never knew which ones were plants or which ones were spies.

I caught this guy a couple of times lying about his education/college background. Other than that, it would be hard to know because if a programmer doesn't work out they will fire them in 2 months (so someone being with the company only a short time wouldn't gather much notice).
Anyway, he recommended to me some good cop stuff while he was there.