• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

ziznak

judge dredd... don't write it off as a comicbook although its based on one.... All I have to say is the special FX  made the movie....other than that its a typical "trapped and have to get out" type action flick.... i sed flick?... anyways yeah... I give it 5 stars just for the slow-motion gunshots through the face stuff.

HorrorRetro

Not a movie, but I just finished up season 4 of Breaking Bad on Netflix.  I didn't expect to like the show.  I loved it.  Now I'm waiting on season 5.   :-\   "Yo, Gatorade me, bitch!"   ;D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 07, 2012, 03:27:51 PM
Not a movie, but I just finished up season 4 of Breaking Bad on Netflix.  I didn't expect to like the show.  I loved it.  Now I'm waiting on season 5.   :-\   "Yo, Gatorade me, bitch!"   ;D

the first half of season 5 (the final season) has aired, but i'd advise you avoid seeing it until you can watch the entire final season in one fell swoop.  it sucks to have the season broken into parts like this and to wait months for things to conclude.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: MV on October 07, 2012, 03:31:35 PM

the first half of season 5 (the final season) has aired, but i'd advise you avoid seeing it until you can watch the entire final season in one fell swoop.  it sucks to have the season broken into parts like this and to wait months for things to conclude.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to wait until it's all available.  I hate that it's the final season.  But I suppose you can only take the storyline so far.

Quote from: EgoFartSnooryBoy on September 19, 2012, 01:18:04 PM
ok here is my problem.

I always go on IMDB and piratebay and download the latest best reviewed films,

and they all suck.

really suck

Movies can't all be Streets of Fire.

ziznak

Watched "Taken 2" and "Stolen" recently.  Another popular action movie premise I'm totally sick of is this "stolen family members" plot.  I'm sure we haven't seen the last of them either. 

great scene:
in "Stolen" Nicolas Cage is handcuffed in the back of a car driven by 2 FBI agents.  His cellphone is on the dash.  If he doesn't answer the phone in 8 rings his daughter gets it.  It's about 4 rings in and then...
He breaks his hand/fingers? to squeeze through the cuffs, rams one FBI guys head into the wheel and the other through the window using his elbows so it's realistic right cause his hands broken. 
The car flips and smacks against some concrete barriers n other "hurty" things before coming to a stop where in the next scene our hero is stepping out of the upside down vehicle in an upright position answering the phone...

I suspend my reality driven assumptions when watching movies but sometimes they really push my limits.

Sardondi

I heard the very same thing from someone who is serious about movies, who said it was "surprisingly excellent".

ziznak

MV/Liberace!

on wednesday, i saw celebration day, a film of the 2007 concert reunion of page, plant, and jones of zeppelin.  i highly recommend it. plant's vocals really surprised me.  there were numerous moments during the show where i thought to myself, "he can still sing like that?"

Sardondi

Quote from: MV on October 21, 2012, 03:30:16 PM
on wednesday, i saw celebration day, a film of the 2007 concert reunion of page, plant, and jones of zeppelin.  i highly recommend it. plant's vocals really surprised me.  there were numerous moments during the show where i thought to myself, "he can still sing like that?"

I was unaware of this, but I see it's a current theatrical release. Plus there's something special planned for this November. Do you know what this is supposed to be, MV?

The 1994 MTV Unplugged show of Plant and Page is my guilty pleasure because it's probably my overall favorite filmed performance of LZ stuff, which is blasphemy since it's not the real Zep. But the spectacularly good audio and video quality make it candy for me. And I find The Song Remains The Same unwatchable. (Gangsters? Mythic heroes? It's such a shame there was no one who did or could tell them, "No!".) The absence of JPJ is regrettable (I think he says he wasn't asked to participate) but Jason Bonham was surprisingly good sitting in for Dad on drums. So if I want to watch, I watch this. If I want to listen, it's the cds. 

Sardondi

Forgive the consecutive posts, but I'm really shifting gears. I've been having a hoot watching the Turner Classic Movies the last week or so as they've been showing the glorious old Hammer Films horror films of the late 50's and 60's. The re-dos of Universal's Dracula and Frankenstein stories starring the fantastic Hammer team of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Lee is almost always the "straight man", playing the educated professional as a doctor, archaeologist or professor. The marvelous but shamefully underutilized Christopher Lee is always the monster/vampire/mummy.

A far cry from the stark atmosphere of the black-and-white Universal movies, Hammer films were simply drenched in overripe tint. And they were drenched in blood too, with what for the day seemed like buckets of blood...but which as the decades went on we saw was laughably mild. I think I prefer the old Universal spareness, but I dearly love the Hammer camp as well as the early Roger Corman and AIP movies with Vincent Price in the 60's. But after that I lose interest. Think I'll go watch Hammer's The Mummy from about 1959 which I DVR'd: it's a great movie to go to sleep by.

BigDave

I watched Flash Gordon(1980),it was so freaking bad it was great. The only great things were how hot Melody Anderson and the Woman who played Ming's daughter were 8)

Eddie Coyle

Because I exist in a dissociative state that seems to impel me to watch things that were released prior to my conception...I watched two old favorites this weekend(all on "the cable") and currently watching an absurdly awful time waster.

The two old favorites were the somewhat brilliant satire Smile from '75, and the blaxploitation/cop/mob masterpiece Across 110th Street from '72.  I'm currently watching the lugubrious biker flick Chrome and Hot Leather from '71. I doubt there was a second take in this film.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 21, 2012, 10:41:52 PM

Because I exist in a dissociative state that seems to impel me to watch things that were released prior to my conception...I watched two old favorites this weekend(all on "the cable") and currently watching an absurdly awful time waster.

The two old favorites were the somewhat brilliant satire Smile from '75, and the blaxploitation/cop/mob masterpiece Across 110th Street from '72.  I'm currently watching the lugubrious biker flick Chrome and Hot Leather from '71. I doubt there was a second take in this film.

Smile is hilarious.  I re-watched it a few months back.  I saw it was on today, but I skipped it this time around.

Morgus

I rented and watched the new Dark Shadows movie starring Jonny Depp on Blu-Ray and it was much better than I expected.
They did a good job of recreating the early 1970s and the music of the period and even featured an appearance by Alice Cooper.
The movie vibe reminded me a lot of Tim Burton's earlier movie "Beetlejuice"

Also Eva Green was hot...

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: HorrorRetro on October 21, 2012, 11:27:08 PM
Smile is hilarious.  I re-watched it a few months back.  I saw it was on today, but I skipped it this time around.

I hadn't watched it in a long time(at least 8 years)...but it is excellent. I have a cousin who was in those type of beauty pageants in that mid 70's era and it's like Spinal Tap for her. Bruce Dern is one of the most underappreciated American actors.

Sardondi

Smile is a wickedly funny parody. I think my fave is Tony Bill's character, the choreographer who absolutely hates trying to teach these girls to dance, yet has to do it for a living. Funny, funny movie. But then I thought Fernwood 2 Night and Martin Mull and Fred "Hey, How Did My Pants Get Unzipped?" Willard, was hilarious

BigDave

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 21, 2012, 11:33:51 PM
          I hadn't watched it in a long time(at least 8 years)...but it is excellent. I have a cousin who was in those type of beauty pageants in that mid 70's era and it's like Spinal Tap for her. Bruce Dern is one of the most underappreciated American actors.

Have you ever seen a 1980s Bruce Dern movie called "Tattoo" where He plays a tattoo artist obsessed with a woman.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on October 22, 2012, 12:30:39 AM
Smile is a wickedly funny parody. I think my fave is Tony Bill's character, the choreographer who absolutely hates trying to teach these girls to dance, yet has to do it for a living. Funny, funny movie. But then I thought Fernwood 2 Night and Martin Mull and Fred "Hey, How Did My Pants Get Unzipped?" Willard, was hilarious
Judging by the events on this very board today...let's just say my sense of humor is close to yours. Call me snob I guess for hardly cracking a smile at that "fish in a barrel" bit of alleged satire on another thread.
         Here's a barometer of society, Pee Wee Herman's 1991 contretemps opposed to Fred Willard's event this summer. Granted, Pee Wee had a higher level of fame and was on a putative "kid's show"...but Willard has seen very little punitive action taken against him. He's still doing commercials.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: BigDave on October 22, 2012, 12:32:43 AM
Have you ever seen a 1980s Bruce Dern movie called "Tattoo" where He plays a tattoo artist obsessed with a woman.
Too bad they chose the rather meh Maud Adams as the lead. She never did much for me...flatline sex appeal.

Young Frankenstein.  My backup for a sure laugh when real life isn't so funny.

And.....My all time favorite:  S. O. B.     "Hi, Polly.  Come to see my boobies?"

I also enjoyed the new Dark Shadows.  I was pretty leary because I watched the original after school way back when. 
I'm glad Jonathan Frid got to make the cameo before he died.

Pragmier

I remember fondly Bruce Dern's Silent Running. Haven't seen it in ages, wonder if it still holds up.

Sardondi

Quote from: Treading Water on October 22, 2012, 05:32:27 AM
Young Frankenstein.  My backup for a sure laugh when real life isn't so funny....

YF is a movie I can watch over and over. I just ordered it in Blu-ray although I doubt it will make any real difference. I know what you mean about the importance of a "comfort movie" though. My idea of heaven is a cold night, fireplace roaring, the whole quilt-covered family dug into our favorite snuggle spots and Young Frankenstein just coming on. It's in a three-way tie between The Princess Bride and This Is Spinal Tap for my all-time favorite comedy. With The Third Man, Rear Window, To Catch A Thief and North By Northwest for drama. (Yeah, I got a thing for Grace Kelly...and for Cary Grant....and Hitch too.) Okay, The Lion In Winter too if I'm not already feeling cruddy and can take all that resentment, family cruelty and raw emotion.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 22, 2012, 12:56:54 AM
        Judging by the events on this very board today...let's just say my sense of humor is close to yours. Call me snob I guess for hardly cracking a smile at that "fish in a barrel" bit of alleged satire on another thread....

Not so fast: my affinity for Blazing Saddles, above, may make you want to reconsider (although Mel's obsession with farting and grade-school dick jokes always left me cold). But yeah, like I said, Benny Hill isn't my thing. More accurately, he makes me want to shoot my eyes out with a stapler.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 22, 2012, 12:56:54 AM....Here's a barometer of society, Pee Wee Herman's 1991 contretemps opposed to Fred Willard's event this summer. Granted, Pee Wee had a higher level of fame and was on a putative "kid's show"...but Willard has seen very little punitive action taken against him. He's still doing commercials.           

Is that not a perfect social metric for the last 20 years? Pee Wee Herman was literally run out of the front-of-the-camera side of the business for, what?  10 years? More? Fred Willard appears to have gotten a pass. Wow. And my guilty confession is I actually sat and watched the last 45 minutes of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure just last week. But I promise my clothes were on.

Quote from: Pragmier on October 22, 2012, 06:11:07 AM
I remember fondly Bruce Dern's Silent Running. Haven't seen it in ages, wonder if it still holds up.

I can't separate Silent Running from the circumstances of my having first seen it as a high-school junior on one of the most painfully awkward dates in the history of Western Civilization. It stings to this day to think of it. And the parking we felt obligated to do afterward, in which I drooled...literally drooled...on this girl's face, to the point when we broke the clinch she had to backhand-wipe my slobber off her cheeks. *sigh* Anyway, seeing the name Silent Running makes me break out in a cold sweat. And picturing R2D2's daddy scooting around a botanical garden in space makes me want to puke. Plus I'm just embarrassed for the sheer earnestness and implicit self-righteousness of this movie. And yes, I even saw Bless The Beasts And The Children, which embarrasses me even more. The only explanation I have is that there simply weren't that many movies to see in those days

onan

Quote from: Treading Water on October 22, 2012, 05:32:27 AM
Young Frankenstein.  My backup for a sure laugh when real life isn't so funny.

And.....My all time favorite:  S. O. B.     "Hi, Polly.  Come to see my boobies?"

I also enjoyed the new Dark Shadows.  I was pretty leary because I watched the original after school way back when. 
I'm glad Jonathan Frid got to make the cameo before he died.

Young Frankenstein is a very funny movie. Always in a skirmish for first place with Monty Python and the Holy grail and Dumb and Dumber. Yeah I know my taste is questionable.

I also think There is something about Mary is an "always gets me laughing" movie.

OH and not to forget Used Cars... "nobody ever died over 50 dollars" gets me snickering every time.

Sardondi

Quote from: onan on October 22, 2012, 06:14:24 AM
Young Frankenstein is a very funny movie. Always in a skirmish for first place with Monty Python and the Holy grail and Dumb and Dumber. Yeah I know my taste is questionable.

I also think There is something about Mary is an "always gets me laughing" movie.

OH and not to forget Used Cars... "nobody ever died over 50 dollars" gets me snickering every time.

How could I forget about MP and the Holy Grail? I'm so ashamed. Then I have to go with A Fish Called Wanda. And Trading Places. But then there's any Blackadder ever done, although technically tv. The depressing and hilarious Withnail and I. The sweet and terribly funny My Favorite Year in which a transcendant Lainie Kazan should have won an Oscar. Venus, in which Leslie Phillips (whom folks under the age of 112 probably know better as the voice of Hogwart's Sorting Hat) should have won a couple of Oscars just to make up for notr having won a bunch before. The sleeper ensemble known as IQ. Another sleeper, Dean Spanley. Bright Young Things for the Usual British Comedy Supects. Topsy Turvy for the same reason, although probably more a drama.

And yes, Used Cars : "They're too fucking high!"

And then the sports humor - Major League - "Just a bit outside." , Even Goon.

And of course Slap Shot.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on October 22, 2012, 06:14:10 AM

Not so fast: my affinity for Blazing Saddles, above, may make you want to reconsider (although Mel's obsession with farting and grade-school dick jokes always left me cold). But yeah, like I said, Benny Hill isn't my thing. More accurately, he makes me want to shoot my eyes out with a stapler.

Is that not a perfect social metric for the last 20 years? Pee Wee Herman was literally run out of the front-of-the-camera side of the business for, what?  10 years? More? Fred Willard appears to have gotten a pass. Wow. And my guilty confession is I actually sat and watched the last 45 minutes of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure just last week. But I promise my clothes were on.

I love Blazing Saddles, more for the gut level socio/racial jokes and lampooning...but fart/dick jokes from intelligent people is anathema to me. Ain't because I'm a prude either -it just seems too facile and made for the easily amused.

It is all in the timing...Lance Rentzel and George Michael were too early in their depravity. Mores are declining by the second. And amnesia is an American pastime...look at Marv Albert, a laughingstock in 1997-98, but his issues are pretty much long forgotten now.

Pragmier

Quote from: Sardondi on October 22, 2012, 06:14:10 AM
Anyway, seeing the name Silent Running makes me break out in a cold sweat. And picturing R2D2's daddy scooting around a botanical garden in space makes me want to puke. Plus I'm just embarrassed for the sheer earnestness and implicit self-righteousness of this movie.

That seals it I'm not gonna mess with an affectionate recollection by watching again. As far as comedy, I must confess to enjoying slapstick. The Pink Panther movies come to mind. Martin & Lewis and Abbott & Costello were also among my favorites.

Sardondi

Quote from: Pragmier on October 22, 2012, 10:16:11 AM
That seals it I'm not gonna mess with an affectionate recollection by watching again. As far as comedy, I must confess to enjoying slapstick. The Pink Panther movies come to mind. Martin & Lewis and Abbott & Costello were also among my favorites.

You know, just reading these posts and being reminded of these movies is like a big shot of endorphins washing over my brain. Thank you.