• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Video Gaming

Started by trostol, December 20, 2015, 02:08:47 AM

the_Stranger

As someone who likes a very small number of Nintendo's IPs, there's little that they can do at this point to compete for my gaming dollar.
They've relied on churning out drivel to the fanboys to the detriment of game innovation for too long.
The last new Nintendo console I bought was the Wii, and that's the system that I own the fewest games for, by far. Also the one that never gets played.
The 3DS is fine, but I have to have more than 5 games that I would be interested in before buying one.
But I'm a Sony fanboy, so anything I say is bullshit anyway.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: the_Stranger on January 03, 2017, 10:58:03 PM
As someone who likes a very small number of Nintendo's IPs, there's little that they can do at this point to compete for my gaming dollar.
They've relied on churning out drivel to the fanboys to the detriment of game innovation for too long.
The last new Nintendo console I bought was the Wii, and that's the system that I own the fewest games for, by far. Also the one that never gets played.
The 3DS is fine, but I have to have more than 5 games that I would be interested in before buying one.
But I'm a Sony fanboy, so anything I say is bullshit anyway.

No, both Sony and Microsoft are doing cool things in video gaming. Although I saw little in the last gen of consoles to make me want. The Wii was the last console I bought but I have a half a dozen various old consoles and can emulate pretty much any system from the 20th century except the Dreamcast. I have one anyway and I understand that's coming soon in emulation. I just think it would be a big mistake for Nintendo to try to become a "me too" company now. They've never played that game. I think the Switch will succeed or fail based on the demand the games create. It's sometimes fun to discuss hardware specs but ultimately it's the quality of the games that matters and how much fun they offer.

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 03, 2017, 11:09:58 PM
No, both Sony and Microsoft are doing cool things in video gaming. Although I saw little in the last gen of consoles to make me want. The Wii was the last console I bought but I have a half a dozen various old consoles and can emulate pretty much any system from the 20th century except the Dreamcast. I have one anyway and I understand that's coming soon in emulation. I just think it would be a big mistake for Nintendo to try to become a "me too" company now. They've never played that game. I think the Switch will succeed or fail based on the demand the games create. It's sometimes fun to discuss hardware specs but ultimately it's the quality of the games that matters and how much fun they offer.

well..the specs are gonna see just what they can run..while they have a nice list of third party devs who say they are going to support it./.already Mass Effect guy said the game won't be on the switch...the problem i see with the switch is..its trying to be too much in one..good 3rd party games on the go..sounds great..but most handhelds can't/don't have the power to run those games..CoD..GTA..etc on a portable..would be great..but(just using those games as example) it would..from what i read..chug if playable at all on the switch..it is a weird concept to say the least..and will be good for their own games...but i just can't see them competing..or getting their share with this new...system

i will admit though..i do like the idea of them going back to carts for the games

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on January 03, 2017, 11:31:09 PM
well..the specs are gonna see just what they can run..while they have a nice list of third party devs who say they are going to support it./.already Mass Effect guy said the game won't be on the switch...the problem i see with the switch is..its trying to be too much in one..good 3rd party games on the go..sounds great..but most handhelds can't/don't have the power to run those games..CoD..GTA..etc on a portable..would be great..but(just using those games as example) it would..from what i read..chug if playable at all on the switch..it is a weird concept to say the least..and will be good for their own games...but i just can't see them competing..or getting their share with this new...system

i will admit though..i do like the idea of them going back to carts for the games

They're running the latest Dark Souls on it.

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 03, 2017, 11:34:00 PM
They're running the latest Dark Souls on it.

supposedly they were running Skyrim also..turned out not to be true

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on January 03, 2017, 11:44:32 PM
supposedly they were running Skyrim also..turned out not to be true

But wasn't the creator of Bethesda pimping it recently?

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 03, 2017, 11:48:36 PM
But wasn't the creator of Bethesda pimping it recently?

what i read was he said Bethesda was supporting it..but nothing solid on what..was actually going to be on it..people just assume it will be the newer edition...

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on January 03, 2017, 11:50:47 PM
what i read was he said Bethesda was supporting it..but nothing solid on what..was actually going to be on it..people just assume it will be the newer edition...

I thought they showed it running DS at a demo somewhere.  ???

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 03, 2017, 11:51:50 PM
I thought they showed it running DS at a demo somewhere.  ???

i'll take yer word on it..didn't see DS..frankly there is only one game i would probably get it for and i just can't justify buying a whole system for MArio Kart lol

maybe Zelda

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on January 03, 2017, 11:53:47 PM
i'll take yer word on it..didn't see DS..frankly there is only one game i would probably get it for and i just can't justify buying a whole system for MArio Kart lol

Still one of the best racing games though.  :D

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Skyfox too. I'm also hoping they try to continue some motion control games, at least as a niche market sort of thing. The new, the unexpected...that sorta thing.

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 03, 2017, 11:56:12 PM
Still one of the best racing games though.  :D

thats why i didn't get the Wii U..only 1 game i had wanted on it lol

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on January 03, 2017, 11:57:16 PM
thats why i didn't get the Wii U..only 1 game i had wanted on it lol

Think they'll attempt a VR offering, like the rest have?

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 04, 2017, 12:00:41 AM
Think they'll attempt a VR offering, like the rest have?

my guess.no...or a second iteration of the system...seems you need a semi powerful card for VR...plus...i am not sure the VR thing will be a lasting thing..i see it for now as a fad

zeebo

Two unrelated questions for the game-heads here.

1) Thought it would be fun to maybe get an old SNES system to play/replay some classics.  Then checked on ebay for Super Metroid and they're all like wtf a hundred bucks?  Is this for real?  Is there somewhere to get old cartridges for cheap?  (I know I know I can play w/ emulators on a pc, but idk it just doesn't feel the same.)

2) I wanna try strategy games again.  See the prob is, they always start out fun, but mid-game they get to be a management drag.  I've tried Civ 3 & 4, MOO 1 & 2, and a few others and always the same complexity moment happens where there's just too many damn colonies to deal with etc so I just let them all collapse on themselves.  So is there a game which is challenging but does not escalate geometrically as you build an unmanageable 'empire'?

norland2424

Quote from: zeebo on January 04, 2017, 12:44:42 AM
Two unrelated questions for the game-heads here.

1) Thought it would be fun to maybe get an old SNES system to play/replay some classics.  Then checked on ebay for Super Metroid and they're all like wtf a hundred bucks?  Is this for real?  Is there somewhere to get old cartridges for cheap?  (I know I know I can play w/ emulators on a pc, but idk it just doesn't feel the same.)

2) I wanna try strategy games again.  See the prob is, they always start out fun, but mid-game they get to be a management drag.  I've tried Civ 3 & 4, MOO 1 & 2, and a few others and always the same complexity moment happens where there's just too many damn colonies to deal with etc so I just let them all collapse on themselves.  So is there a game which is challenging but does not escalate geometrically as you build an unmanageable 'empire'?

the local game shops have them for cheaper in the 40 dollar range here locally. and what kind of strategy game are you looking for?

zeebo

Quote from: norland2424 on January 04, 2017, 12:46:29 AM
the local game shops have them for cheaper in the 40 dollar range here locally....

better!  i'll check that out

Quote from: norland2424 on January 04, 2017, 12:46:29 AM
and what kind of strategy game are you looking for?

turn-based ... something where you have to think, and plan ... but doesn't escalate in management complexity due to shear number of colonies/planets/ships/armies/etc.  So like chess ... it takes alot of strategy, but it basically stays at the same complexity level throughout - e.g. you don't have to deal with like 20 chessboards mid-game.   ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on January 04, 2017, 12:49:57 AM

turn-based ... something where you have to think, and plan ... but doesn't escalate in management complexity due to shear number of colonies/planets/ships/armies/etc.  So like chess ... it takes alot of strategy, but it basically stays at the same complexity level throughout - e.g. you don't have to deal with like 20 chessboards mid-game.   ;)

If you're really trying to do this on the cheap there are lots of SNES emulators out there. The actual stuff has become VERY collectible in the past decade.  ;)

norland2424

ive been playing this one alot lately, http://store.steampowered.com/app/312450/

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 04, 2017, 12:55:47 AM
If you're really trying to do this on the cheap there are lots of SNES emulators out there. The actual stuff has become VERY collectible in the past decade.  ;)

Is there a way to run an emulator on your pc, then pipe it to your tv, whilst using a real controller?  I want the old-school vibe yo.  ;)

trostol

if you can find it..Rise of Nations...or the Age of Empire series...maybe the Anno series or even Tropico

norland2424

Quote from: zeebo on January 04, 2017, 01:09:45 AM
Is there a way to run an emulator on your pc, then pipe it to your tv, whilst using a real controller?  I want the old-school vibe yo.  ;)

that doesnt sound to hard to do, well not sure about the real controller tho lol

zeebo

Quote from: norland2424 on January 04, 2017, 12:58:52 AM
ive been playing this one alot lately, http://store.steampowered.com/app/312450/

This looks cool.  Am I to take it that it kind of works like a fixed board game, where you figure out how to place your units etc. for battle but you're not really building an ever-expanding empire which usually requires mega-management skills which I lack?   :D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: zeebo on January 04, 2017, 01:09:45 AM

Abso-fucking-lutely! Most modern vid cards have HDMI out. I use a PS3 controller because it's a wireless bluetooth controller I like but they actually have these now too: https://shop.xgaming.com/collections/retro-game-accessories

If you want to use an original controller though you'll have to track down some adaptor cable on ebay or something:. I see they have them for about $5 there.

norland2424

Quote from: zeebo on January 04, 2017, 01:12:26 AM
This looks cool.  Am I to take it that it kind of works like a fixed board game, where you figure out how to place your units etc. for battle but you're not really building an ever-expanding empire which usually requires mega-management skills which I lack?   :D

pretty much, its a good mindless time killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxA4ebFkSk

Dr. MD MD

A lot of people are doing this for their old school gaming fix now, zeeb:

https://retropie.org.uk/

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 04, 2017, 01:24:54 AM
A lot of people are doing this for their old school gaming fix now, zeeb:

https://retropie.org.uk/

Neat .. there was something similar Logan posted awhile back on the tech thread, some dedicated linux OS ... sounded cool but wasn't sure if I'd get bogged down in details.  But I like the idea of a dedicated machine I could use for this.  I actually have an old laptop I never use, maybe I could run an emulator on that or whatnot. 

zeebo

Quote from: trostol on January 04, 2017, 01:10:34 AM
if you can find it..Rise of Nations...or the Age of Empire series...maybe the Anno series or even Tropico

I've heard of the first two ... popular in their day as I recall, will investigate further thx.

zeebo

Quote from: norland2424 on January 04, 2017, 01:14:53 AM
pretty much, its a good mindless time killer

now you're talkin lol  ;D

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on January 04, 2017, 01:31:53 AM
I've heard of the first two ... popular in their day as I recall, will investigate further thx.

Rise of Nations got re-released about 2..3 years ago

AoE 2 actually just got an expansion i think..or has one coming out

Anno is a longish running series..the latest 2270 or something like that

Tropico is up to 5

last 2 series might be considered more city builders but not sure

norland2424

Quote from: trostol on January 04, 2017, 01:35:44 AM
Rise of Nations got re-released about 2..3 years ago

AoE 2 actually just got an expansion i think..or has one coming out

Anno is a longish running series..the latest 2270 or something like that

Tropico is up to 5

last 2 series might be considered more city builders but not sure