• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 24, 2015, 04:00:50 AM
When Beane was doing his roster moves over the winter I thought the Giants should have tried to pick up some of those players. I think Brandon Moss would have been a good fit in a part time role. The whole Brandon Belt in the OF and Buster Posey at 1B situation seems to have the Giants unwilling to add a 1B/LF.

I think the last trade between SF and Oakland was the Ernest Riles / Darren Lewis deal 25 years ago.  I don't expect another one anytime soon.  Bean is always eager to get rid of young starting pitchers, I wonder what he'd want for Sonny Gray.

SF has over $50 million of current year salary in expiring contracts this year for players who won't be back next year, at least at anything near their current pay.  They ought to be very busy this offseason.  Too bad Cespedes is doing so well in New York, he'd look great in Left or Centerfield.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 24, 2015, 04:24:10 AM
Too bad Cespedes is doing so well in New York, he'd look great in Centerfield.  Bean is always eager to get rid of young starting pitchers, I wonder what he'd want for Sonny Gray.

SF has over $50 million of current year salary in expiring contracts this year for players who won't be back next year, at least at anything near their current pay.  They ought to be very busy this offseason

If Alex Gordon declines his option that might be a good fit in SF. I have no idea what the Giants are going to do about pitching. Sabean drafts so many pitchers every year that they should be getting better performance out of their farm. And the Giants need to solve the Diamondbacks-seems like AZ has their number.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 24, 2015, 04:37:11 AM
If Alex Gordon declines his option that might be a good fit in SF. I have no idea what the Giants are going to do about pitching. Sabean drafts so many pitchers every year that they should be getting better performance out of their farm. And the Giants need to solve the Diamondbacks-seems like AZ has their number.

They have some good bullpen guys either here or on the way - Broadway, Osich, Strickland, and a few others a little further away.  Chris Heston was a nice surprise this year as a starter, he'll be stronger next year after running out of gas at the end of August.  Hopefully Cain will get back to where he was with a proper Spring Training. 

pate

Kansas City Royals clinch a division title.

First to do so this year in baseball...

ediot: in all of MLB

Eddie Coyle

Any tribute to the "Moneyball" Oakland A's of yore that doesn't mention Victor Conte's magic medicines is incomplete. He helped the lineup more than Billy Beane did.

The fabled nostalgic matchup between Barry Zito and Tim Hudson in today's A's/Giants game didn't quite measure up to the hype. 

The 2 of them lasted a combined 3 and 1/3 innings, giving up 7 runs on 7 hits and 4 walks, striking out no one.

Next year perhaps the Reds and Astros (or Angels) can schedule a game featuring Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan, teammates with the Mets early in their careers.  Jerry Koosman can be on hand, and the 3 of them can throw out the first pitch(es).

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 26, 2015, 08:08:19 PM
Victor Conte's magic medicines

Rich Aurilia's 37 HR in 2001. That medicine was magic.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 27, 2015, 04:20:56 PM
Rich Aurilia's 37 HR in 2001. That medicine was magic.

Perfect example. Guys like Steve Finley and Jay Bell come to mind as well. Luis Gonzalez hitting 57, Brett Boone in '01 becoming a 37/141 guy, despite never having more than 25 homers or 100 RBI before.

3OctaveFart

Brady Anderson's 50 in 1996.

He had the physique of a boy band member before he "found his stroke" that year.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Meatie Pie on September 29, 2015, 09:28:25 PM
Brady Anderson's 50 in 1996.

He had the physique of a boy band member before he "found his stroke" that year.

I remember him reaching 40 that Labor Day weekend and ESPN running a piece about Anderson's new found power due to swimming and diet. It was almost pure out satire, and I don't know how the anchor/reporter were able to do it with a straight face. And then hit 10 more homers over the next 25 games.

And when my kid asks "when did you know steroids were rampant in baseball?' Brady Anderson is generally the stock answer. If that string bean was hitting 50...

Eddie Coyle

The Dodgers looked pathetic last night celebrating their division title like it was the WS. Makes their inevitable exit within the next two weeks all the more enjoyable.

GravitySucks

The Dodgers and Mets both win their division and bothe teams were no-hit twice. When is the last time something like that happened?

And the Nats... Serious MVP in Harper and a pitcher that throws 2 no hitters (seriously close to 3 perfect games) and they don't make the playoffs.

Cubs pitchers set the NL record for most strikeouts in the regular season and sit in third place with a record that would be leading any other division.

With the shuffling that could occur today within the AL West/wild card and homefield for the NL wildcard, MLB had the foresight to have all of today's games played at basically the same time, meaning a lot of teams have to play to win up to the last inning.

Love this game almost as much as hockey.

albrecht

Rangers! The ski googles antics are hilarious. I wish Emily was wearing white though. And hopefully the Stros will get in also. Finally a good game after a disastrous Saturday for me sports-wise.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 04, 2015, 04:27:46 PM
Rangers! The ski googles antics are hilarious. I wish Emily was wearing white though. And hopefully the Stros will get in also. Finally a good game after a disastrous Saturday for me sports-wise.
Astros got in once the Ranger won, but if the Astro ha won, the wild car would have been played in Houton

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 04, 2015, 04:31:33 PM
Astros got in once the Ranger won, but if the Astro ha won, the wild car would have been played in Houton
Yeah, which would've been bad for me. I don't like the realignment and now in both in AL and in same division even. I already have divided sympathies (used to be much easier when both in different divisions and, usually, at least one doing poorly!) Hahaha. And miss being able to watch NL ball. But I'm happy, especially since yesterday sucked for me sports-wise. Fall is like the best time, BB ending and getting tight and hockey starting (and college and HS football= those this is not doing well for me this year.)

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 04, 2015, 04:47:23 PM
Yeah, which would've been bad for me. I don't like the realignment and now in both in AL and in same division even. I already have divided sympathies (used to be much easier when both in different divisions and, usually, at least one doing poorly!) Hahaha. And miss being able to watch NL ball. But I'm happy, especially since yesterday sucked for me sports-wise. Fall is like the best time, BB ending and getting tight and hockey starting (and college and HS football= those this is not doing well for me this year.)
I live down by Galveston and I liked it better hen they were NL because I am a Cubs fan.  Figures they have a stellar year and never played Houston (yet).

GravitySucks

My daughter started at A&M this year, so far, so good for them. Next week not so sure.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 04, 2015, 04:50:50 PM
I live down by Galveston and I liked it better hen they were NL because I am a Cubs fan.  Figures they have a stellar year and never played Houston (yet).
It has been a weird deal and I don't know what machinations happened but where I am used to be Astros territory (tv, radio, and even shirts in Academy etc) then that Comcast deal happened/fell through, realignment, and Rangers became the team shown on tv (TWC and FoxSportsSW.) At Academy yesterday a Stros shirt (only two types available were $10 less than the cheapest Rangers shirts (many to choose from.) And only time I can see Stros on tv is when they play Rangers or, sometimes, rarely on TBS oddly. But I've liked them both so happy.
Cubs fan? Congratulations on making it!

GravitySucks

What part of the state are you in?

I hate not having the Cubbies on WGN. I listen to the games on XM radio.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 04, 2015, 05:06:46 PM
What part of the state are you in?

I hate not having the Cubbies on WGN. I listen to the games on XM radio.
Ouch. No more Cubs on WGN??! In Central Texas, mostly. XM is a frustrating thing. They changed the channel lineups and then even the other day has bad information for games on what channels. I like the OTR and Rural Radio channel but for games (baseball, hockey, etc I find searching frustrating.) Especially when driving different cars, trucks etc and not programmed, searching around and even the "voice telling which stations had which games" was wrong. But I'm happy.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 04, 2015, 05:16:16 PM
Ouch. No more Cubs on WGN??! In Central Texas, mostly. XM is a frustrating thing. They changed the channel lineups and then even the other day has bad information for games on what channels. I like the OTR and Rural Radio channel but for games (baseball, hockey, etc I find searching frustrating.) Especially when driving different cars, trucks etc and not programmed, searching around and even the "voice telling which stations had which games" was wrong. But I'm happy.
I have property up in Limestone County I will eventually settle on. Near Groesbeck. The home of the Galloping Goats. Gotta love Texas HS football.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 04, 2015, 05:18:50 PM
I have property up in Limestone County I will eventually settle on. Near Groesbeck. The home of the Galloping Goats. Gotta love Texas HS football.
Sounds nice. And birthplace of Joe Don Baker! Yeah, HS FB is awesome. Especially small towns but even in the large ones. (Though not liking some of this thug stuff n targeting refs etc and crap.)

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 04, 2015, 05:23:24 PM
Sounds nice. And birthplace of Joe Don Baker! Yeah, HS FB is awesome. Especially small towns but even in the large ones. (Though not liking some of this thug stuff n targeting refs etc and crap.)
Sometimes I go to the Sonic in Mexia and imagine what it would have been like to get served by Anna Nicole. 😎

Nothing like watching the Yankees look horrible in the playoffs. The playoffs are off to a good start.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 06, 2015, 09:00:03 PM
Nothing like watching the Yankees look horrible in the playoffs. The playoffs are off to a good start.

The worst team in the playoffs, played like garbage the final two weeks against sub.500 teams. Good riddance.

akwilly

I see the run total for Cubs Pitt is only at 5.5. I guess it could turn into a pitchers duel but there is no way I would bet the under. I havn't checked the weather report but I would expect this game to be around 9 runs.

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 06, 2015, 09:00:03 PM
Yep! And it seemed like a done deal from the pre-game. Lack of crowds, fans suspiciously low-key, it was sorta bizarre, or seemed to me. Go Stros!