• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: ShayP on April 30, 2018, 10:20:47 PM
Really?  Diet Coke.  C'mon man.  ;D

I've since poured a scotch to calm down from the ... rousing.

Bluejay

Taco Bell

Quote from: Element 115 on April 30, 2018, 10:20:15 PM
You need Adobe Audition, yeah you can use the same track for various takes.  Oh so once you stop recording on a track, that's it?  I've never used sawplus32 but do you remember the old Acid Pro?  That was my first music recording software I tried.  I love Adobe Audition.

Acid pro was the last program I used at home. Years ago.
Big jump from the pro tools of today. Any recommendations for a simple home recording program? I'll dig out my old fostex 4 track recorder for shits and giggles every now and again.

Hells Mole

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 30, 2018, 10:04:22 PM
Interesting how Art can read copy and make it sound conversational.

He just always talked that way.  I mean you're one of the few people who knows what he talked like in the privacy of his own home but you can hear in all of Art's recordings that he always talks in exactly the same way.
It became obvious to me in the 90's when he would read commercials in the same way he chatted about his cats and Ramona.

One could take from this that a recipe for success in talk is to become accustomed to speaking in your natural voice, cadence and tones no matter if you are reading, reciting, or anything else.  Of course if you don't have a naturally pleasing voice it doesn't matter how fake or real you come off to the listener.

albrecht

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on April 30, 2018, 10:23:28 PM
lol... i listen to prog rock and i listen to a lot of unknown bands i want to hear more of your work
You might like the "other" SAGA covers and stuff also. Just saying.  ;) Cover of "If This Is How It Ends..." is haunting.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Element 115 on April 30, 2018, 10:20:15 PM
You need Adobe Audition, yeah you can use the same track for various takes.  Oh so once you stop recording on a track, that's it?  I've never used sawplus32 but do you remember the old Acid Pro?  That was my first music recording software I tried.  I love Adobe Audition.

I'm not sure I understand the question, but I never did try Acid Pro.

I became familiar with SawPlus32 at my first radio gig in 1997 when I was 17.  I liked it, so I simply continued using it.  I haven't found anything I want to do that it can't do.

Hells Mole

Quote from: Sean92008 on April 30, 2018, 10:05:11 PM
I love the opening to the reading of his own book. Absolutely classic.

He approached it as if he was just doing another night of C2CAM.

I think I remember him playing part a good portion of this recording once long ago during a show, or as a show, or as a replacement when he was out for some reason.

Element 115

Quote from: Taco Bell on April 30, 2018, 10:24:21 PM
Acid pro was the last program I used at home. Years ago.
Big jump from the pro tools of today. Any recommendations for a simple home recording program? I'll dig out my old fostex 4 track recorder for shits and giggles every now and again.

My recommendation is definintely Adobe Audition.

Bluejay

Quote from: Tricky-D on April 30, 2018, 10:16:35 PM
So Art has two sisters...what if HW is the daughter of one of his sisters? Uncle Art?

Element 115

Quote from: mv on April 30, 2018, 10:25:30 PM

I became familiar with SawPlus32 at my first radio gig in 1997 when I was 17.  I liked it, so I simply continued using it.  I haven't found anything I want to do that it can't do.

I was thinking you meant with SawPlus32 once you stopped recording a particular track, you couldn't queue up that same track and resume so it makes you use another track for a vocal (not harmony).  hence you had to use a lot of individual tracks.

ItsTelly

No HW.

No guest host.

Way to fuck your (few) remaining subscribers raw.

Next time I'll just go to a bathhouse in San Francisco....it will be more pleasant (and frankly, understandable).

Telly

#Sad!

albrecht

Quote from: mv on April 30, 2018, 10:25:30 PM

Might humbly suggest you first ask advice of expert Aldous?

Dreamlander

Quote from: albrecht on April 30, 2018, 10:08:19 PM
That should have been something on the Art Bell webpage (with slow downloading at the old modem speeds) introducing some guests about little people, gnomes, elves, nisse, brownies, etc!

Classic Bell.  Wow...that takes me back
https://web.archive.org/web/19970723104213/http://www.artbell.com:80/

popple

Quote from: mv on April 30, 2018, 09:32:26 PM

For your listening pleasure:

Vocals so hauntingly stimulating my scalp hair grew 5 feet in 3:11 mins.

albrecht

Quote from: Dreamlander on April 30, 2018, 10:30:15 PM
Classic Bell.  Wow...that takes me back
https://web.archive.org/web/19970723104213/http://www.artbell.com:80/
You will note that many current guests in the genre he, basically, created still use Hotdog html, geocities-style pages, and etc!? It is awesome, that they do so. A tribute to him. Even C2C with Norry redesigned several times to make it a harder site to deal with, depending on platform and black backgrounds.  ;D

Kolchak

Quote from: ItsTelly on April 30, 2018, 10:29:36 PM
No HW.

No guest host.

I think this is a pretty cool thing to hear. It's available elsewhere, but my guess is that most of the listeners don't realize that. It's an attempt.

Bluejay

Quote from: ItsTelly on April 30, 2018, 10:29:36 PM
No HW.

No guest host.

Next time I'll just go to a bathhouse in San Francisco....it will be more pleasant (and frankly, understandable).

Telly

#Sad!

Hells Mole

Quote from: albrecht on April 30, 2018, 10:34:29 PM
You will note that many current guests in the genre he, basically, created still use Hotdog html, geocities-style pages, and etc!? It is awesome, that they do so. A tribute to him. Even C2C with Norry redesigned several times to make it a harder site to deal with, depending on platform and black backgrounds.  ;D
]]

The thing that bugs this old timer when people say "Geocities style" is that it really is just HTML 1.0 and occasionally 2.0 that people make that association with.  It was not Geocities style it was the most current HTML
tech of the day.  Calling it "Geocities style" furthers the misconception that the internet has always been centralized to a few sites and servers like it is so much today.  I think people started to refer to it thusly because a lot of Geocities sites continued to remain online for a few years after HTML 3, 4, etc had been developed.

Art Bell's websites were not "cutting edge" but they were on the high end of average for their time.  The fact that he had one at all with the amount of content on it that he had was unusual in that day for a nationally syndicated show.

albrecht

Quote from: Hells Mole on April 30, 2018, 10:39:06 PM
]]

The thing that bugs this old timer when people say "Geocities style" is that it really is just HTML 1.0 and occasionally 2.0 that people make that association with.  It was not Geocities style it was the most current HTML
tech of the day.  Calling it "Geocities style" furthers the misconception that the internet has always been centralized to a few sites and servers like it is so much today.  I think people started to refer to it thusly because a lot of Geocities sites continued to remain online for a few years after HTML 3, 4, etc had been developed.

Art Bell's websites were not "cutting edge" but they were on the high end of average for their time.  The fact that he had one at all with the amount of content on it that he had was unusual in that day for a nationally syndicated show.
Yah. But it was such a "thing" and recognized, so a laugh. Sorry. So what is the latest version of Hotdog do you use?

Catsmile

Sean92008

Quote from: Element 115 on April 30, 2018, 10:26:16 PM
My recommendation is definintely Adobe Audition.
I'd recommend Acoustica Mixcraft, powerful tool...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ShayP on April 30, 2018, 10:22:59 PM
Saga does rule.

https://youtu.be/A51gkF7eu_A

Yeah, Saga's a pretty solid band.  If you add in time recording Sadler for things beyond Saga, I probably logged (at least) a couple hundred studio hours with him.  There were some solo items, some vocal "fixes" that needed to be re-recorded for a live Saga DVD set, etc.  I'm most proud of the work we did for a French prog-rock band on an album that, years later, still hasn't been released.  He and two other "guest" vocalists recorded four tracks each on that one.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Taco Bell on April 30, 2018, 10:24:21 PM
Any recommendations for a simple home recording program?

Lots of people like Audacity.