• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The NFL Football Fan Podcast - With The Mud King and Eddie Dean

Started by eddie dean, August 09, 2015, 06:09:36 PM

jazmunda

Quote from: jazmunda on September 13, 2015, 03:16:01 PM
ESPN here has been advertising that game on all the other major cable stations here. The main feature of the ads has obviously been Hayne and his highlights so far. You have to understand that this type of advertising for an NFL game never occurs and is unprecedented here. The game is live on ESPN at midday here and then repeated that night in prime time. This also never happens save for the Super Bowl.

Having said all that I doubt whether the average Aussie will be slitting his wrists if he doesn't play. The only people sweating it would be the ESPN Asia Pacific (as I doubt there is an Aussie division) execs who have probably conned advertisers to pay more for a midday timeslot for an NFL game.

If he does play this week it will be splashed all across our news even if he just looks pretty on the bench.

Quote from: jazmunda on September 13, 2015, 03:47:35 PM
Having said all that I doubt whether the average Aussie will be slitting his wrists if he doesn't play. The only people sweating it would be the ESPN Asia Pacific (as I doubt there is an Aussie division) execs who have probably conned advertisers to pay more for a midday timeslot for an NFL game.

If he does play this week it will be splashed all across our news even if he just looks pretty on the bench.

With Seattle losing today, the 49s are already a half game ahead of them in the NFC West.   :)

It will be interesting to see how good (bad?) they are after losing so many of their top players in the off-season.  That level of roster destruction has to be unprecedented in the NFL.  Watching it as it happened, it looked like one of Billy Bean's routine off-season dismantling massacres of the Oakland A's

eddie dean

Oh no, I sence Manning face will be making an appearance soon if the Broncos continue to go three and out in the second half.
5/13 in 3rd down conversions so far.

coaster

At least Denver's defense is awake. The same can't be said for Manning.

Juan

Once again, the Jaguars suck.  Who's in the running to be the first draft pick?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Juan on September 13, 2015, 07:15:36 PM

Jax looked bad today...and still not the worst NFL team in Florida.

Not to worry, I'm sure they'll be able to find an un-coachable head case.   

Being in the same state as Florida, Florida St, and Univ of Miami, they won't even have to look far

Eddie Coyle

I want the world to end on Sept 23, just for the promise of never seeing another Draft Kings commercial ever again.

albrecht

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 13, 2015, 09:54:35 PM
   I want the world to end on Sept 23, just for the promise of never seeing another Draft Kings commercial ever again.
I second that. It is friggin' EVERYWHERE, even pop-up ads on phone/computer not just commercials on tv/radio. I still don't quite understand how this thing is suddenly legal everywhere but simply placing a bet isn't (in most places.)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: albrecht on September 13, 2015, 09:58:40 PM
I second that. It is friggin' EVERYWHERE, even pop-up ads on phone/computer not just commercials on tv/radio. I still don't quite understand how this thing is suddenly legal everywhere but simply placing a bet isn't (in most places.)

Buses, taxis, seemingly every garbage receptacle and billboards in and around Boston are plastered with their ads. Unrelenting. The "real people, not actors" commercials are a sharp stick in the eye. During the Oregon-Michigan State game alone, I think I was subject to at least 20.

The legality thing I'd like to know as well. A bookie I know says fantasy football is a bigger threat to their livelihood than a vice investigation.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 13, 2015, 09:54:35 PM

Just another advantage to not actually watching the games.

I may tune into the beginning of the 49er game tomorrow night, just for the spectacle, I doubt I'll make it to the end of the first quarter

coaster

That draft kings commercial guy who grabs his face and shoves his fingers in his mouth..ugh. they should call it douche kings.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: coaster on September 13, 2015, 10:31:14 PM
That draft kings commercial guy who grabs his face and shoves his fingers in his mouth..ugh. they should call it douche kings.

I'm happy for him and his husband, though. I like the fake Patriots/Brady shirt he's wearing at the simulated game he's supposed to be watching to "win". That commercial was probably filmed in May.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 13, 2015, 10:25:45 PM
Just another advantage to not actually watching the games.

The commercial free Red Zone channel is a godsend. What a difference it makes.

eddie dean

Good question. I'd say Oak could be in the running. QB1 D. Carr got hurt by trying to stiff arm a linebacker.  IDK how long he will be out, but it doesn't look good for the Raiders this season.

eddie dean

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 13, 2015, 10:52:28 PM
   The commercial free Red Zone channel is a godsend. What a difference it makes.

it's beautiful isn't it? As long as they don't cut to HD video of this guy too often:

I'd rather sit through a Draft Kings commercial

Quote from: eddie dean on September 13, 2015, 11:02:56 PM
Good question. I'd say Oak could be in the running. QB1 D. Carr got hurt by trying to stiff arm a linebacker.  IDK how long he will be out, but it doesn't look good for the Raiders this season.

The Raiders could do worse than backup QB McGloin.  He started some games for them in 2013 and knows the system - well, they have a new coach and new system, but he knows it and the offense as well as anyone.

I don't think Garrett Gilbert (on the practice squad) is going to be helpful, let's see who else is out there as a Free Agent or available in a trade?  What can the Raiders offer in a trade?

eddie dean

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 13, 2015, 11:12:56 PM
The Raiders could do worse than backup QB McGloin.  He started some games for them in 2013 and knows the system - well, they have a new coach and new system, but he knows it and the offense as well as anyone.

I don't think Garrett Gilbert (on the practice squad) is going to be helpful, let's see who else is out there.  What's Michael Vick doing these days?  Who might be available in a trade?

Dare I say it......Tebow!  kidding, Del Rio knows why TT isn't playing in the NFL.  He witnessed it first hand in Denver. He had to cater the offensive playbook specifically for Tebow's strengths.

As bad as big Ben played, I don't think the Steelers would want to trade Vick, a solid backup with a years of experience training dogs to fight playing in the NFL.

TigerLily

Overall, great week 1 of football. I think just about every game went the way I wanted or at least expected. I'm glad to see Seattle is not infallible, and once again it was the Rams who showed them up. And nice to see some things never change like the dependable suckiness of Oakland and Tampa Bay.  One more game to go tomorrow.  Boot and rally!

eddie dean

Quote from: TigerLily on September 14, 2015, 12:37:42 AM
Overall, great week 1 of football. I think just about every game went the way I wanted or at least expected. I'm glad to see Seattle is not infallible, and once again it was the Rams who showed them up. And nice to see some things never change like the dependable suckiness of Oakland and Tampa Bay.  One more game to go tomorrow.  Boot and rally!

Like your avatar. Is that Anderson?
I have high hopes that Anderson can play well this season & stay healthy.  He didn't seem to have the ability to find the holes in the line and bust through into the secondary. Let's face it, Balt's D line is good against the run, so it was a tough challenge for both RB's, especially in the new system. I think Hillman looked more comfortable today even though he didn't get as many carries as his counterpart.

The Den. O didn't look sharp at all. I hope it's simply a matter of learning the new system and adjusting to it They better do it quick! they play at the Cheifs in 4 days. An early test & an important division game, with little time to recover from today's defensive struggle.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 13, 2015, 08:24:47 PM
   Jax looked bad today...and still not the worst NFL team in Florida.

That may be true, but how does the bench look?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: eddie dean on September 13, 2015, 11:11:34 PM
it's beautiful isn't it? As long as they don't cut to HD video of this guy too often:

I'd rather sit through a Draft Kings commercial

That Siliciano goof? A jug eared assault on the eyes of sports fans for a decade now. A radio guy who should still be a radio guy.

TigerLily

Quote from: eddie dean on September 14, 2015, 12:56:37 AM
Like your avatar. Is that Anderson?
The Den. O didn't look sharp at all. I hope it's simply a matter of learning the new system and adjusting.
It's Ronnie Hillman. From what I read, he has a whole collection of "colorful" mouth guards. There's some speculation that the NFL might not let him continue to use them. Hope it's not true.
As far as Denver's O, there has to still be some adjusting with the new coach and system.  Denver's D seems stronger and hopefully the offensive line will do a better job protecting Peyton than last year.
I don't have one particular home team I root for, more like quite a few teams I really like. Denver is one one of them, mainly because of Peyton. I really like the Ravens too so that game was a win-win either way for me.
It's fun that you have a podcast. Not sure if I can listen live but I'll check out the one you posted.

eddie dean

the Niners home jerseys are black this year? It's an odd look.

Quote from: eddie dean on September 14, 2015, 08:24:31 PM
the Niners home jerseys are black this year? It's an odd look.

Black jerseys just for this game.

See Hayne drop that punt?, that's why he needs more seasoning - if you aren't going to catch it for sure, get the hell away from it

eddie dean

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 14, 2015, 09:09:37 PM
Black jerseys just for this game.

See Hayne drop that punt?, that's why he needs more seasoning - if you aren't going to catch it for sure, get the hell away from it

It's not a good look for them. The 49ers cheerleaders in slinky black however, is a very good look.
I didn't realize he dressed out for the game until I saw Hayne take a carry on offence. Short gain. I'd imagine he is a bit overwhelmed by the speed of the game being ramped up to yet another level now that it's the regular season.

I can't tell if the 49ers D is halfway decent or if the Vikings offense is horrible. one thing's for sure Chris Berman's play by play calling is awkward as hell.

Quote from: eddie dean on September 14, 2015, 09:37:06 PM
... I didn't realize he dressed out for the game until I saw Hayne take a carry on offence...

He fielded the first punt - it was shorter than it looked, he dove for it and fumbled it, recovered by Minnesota

eddie dean

Quote from: Paper*Boy on September 14, 2015, 09:50:44 PM
He fielded the first punt - it was shorter than it looked, he dove for it and fumbled it, recovered by Minnesota

I  must have missed that play. The special teams plays have been quite eventful so far.