• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Future Is Here - Self Driving Cars

Started by area51drone, September 08, 2014, 12:58:28 AM

area51drone

It's not just Google anymore folks...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-07/gm-to-introduce-hands-free-driving-in-cadillac-model.html

After having driven 4 freeway hours today myself, I cannot wait for this technology to reach the average every day car.

Quote from: area51drone on September 08, 2014, 12:58:28 AM
It's not just Google anymore folks...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-07/gm-to-introduce-hands-free-driving-in-cadillac-model.html

After having driven 4 freeway hours today myself, I cannot wait for this technology to reach the average every day car.

"GM’s Super Cruise technology is not a self-driving car and the feature will require drivers to remain alert and ready to take the wheel if traffic conditions become too complex, Lauckner told reporters at a briefing before Barra’s speech. "

So you mean they'll have to stop posting on Facebook, put down the burger and the makeup and the cigarette and take control again to avoid a collision?  Gee, I can't fuckin wait! To be killed by one.

b_dubb

Public transit would be better. Self driving cars would be a huge target for terrorists.

area51drone

Quote from: b_dubb on September 08, 2014, 06:08:46 PM
Public transit would be better. Self driving cars would be a huge target for terrorists.

Here's what I don't get - why is it that terrorists don't pack some C4 onto a self GPS guided drone with FPV and blow whomever to kingdom come when they want to?  It seems so easy to create a cruise "missile" of sorts now a days.

WOTR

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on September 08, 2014, 11:09:17 AM
So you mean they'll have to stop posting on Facebook, put down the burger and the makeup and the cigarette and take control again to avoid a collision?  Gee, I can't fuckin wait! To be killed by one.
I think that in the event that the car cannot drive itself because traffic becomes "too complex" that the car should veer to the left or right into the nearest light standard, power pole, bridge abutment or cliff.  If the driver is not alert enough it kills him and nobody else gets killed.

They are really going to trust people to know when they need to take the wheel and trust they have paid enough attention in the preceding seconds to know how to react?  It seems like GM is trying to avoid lawsuits (we told the driver they had to remain alert- it is strictly the drivers fault that our car plowed into a pedestrian while our software was driving...)

Quote from: wotr1 on September 11, 2014, 12:03:25 AM
I think that in the event that the car cannot drive itself because traffic becomes "too complex" that the car should veer to the left or right into the nearest light standard, power pole, bridge abutment or cliff.  If the driver is not alert enough...

Or he's in the backseat joining the 80 mph club.  But the auto industry has high safety standards to adhere to so I'm sure they'll have well tested fail safes to prevent the car from becoming an unguided missile or they won't bring it to market.

I don't like the whole idea though.  I like to drive and to be in control of my car.

cweb

I think the self-driving cars should have settings that allow it to simulate real-life drivers.

There's the 80mph cell phone Beamer asshole, the 20mph sunday driver grandma, the unable-to-brake-properly Honda Civic kid, and the 7am intoxicated night shift worker.

Get on it, GM.

WOTR

Quote from: cweb on September 11, 2014, 07:20:58 AM
I think the self-driving cars should have settings that allow it to simulate real-life drivers.

There's the 80mph cell phone Beamer asshole, the 20mph sunday driver grandma, the unable-to-brake-properly Honda Civic kid, and the 7am intoxicated night shift worker.

Get on it, GM.
You are forgetting the weaving in and out of traffic because I am late for something, the student driver who stops in the merge lane and the always popular driver who cannot shoulder check and nearly side swipes you...

Quote from: wotr1 on September 11, 2014, 11:42:42 AM
You are forgetting the weaving in and out of traffic because I am late for something, the student driver who stops in the merge lane and the always popular driver who cannot shoulder check and nearly side swipes you...

Or my two favourites, the passing lane driver who speeds up to get beside someone in the slow lane, and then just sits there for miles and miles and miles blocking traffic, or the aggressive tailgater who's irate because I'm only doing 10k above the limit to avoid a fine.

albrecht

Quote from: area51drone on October 24, 2014, 03:49:02 AM
This is an interesting article...

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/10/google_self_driving_car_it_may_never_actually_happen.single.html
Interesting article. I think IF this happens it will be first in a other, less litigious country. Also I would think to be safe (take randomness of human decisions out as much as possible.) Like a city, say Singapore, mandates that only google cars. Urban, so less speed danger, and if all cars were "smart" they could talk to each other and share/update maps, traffic conditions, etc.

Kelt

I'll be more excited  when the announce mass production rocketpants.

We were promised rocketpants,  and they think they can fob us off with self-driving cars?

Rocketpants or gtfo.