• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Blitz

Started by Heather Wade, June 25, 2015, 09:39:54 PM

NXOEED

gearing up to wheatpaste the shit out of Phoenix with a series of illustrations (it's what I do). Illustrations will be provided in both B/W and color at 300 ppi for anybody who wishes to join in the fun, or pee on them, or whatever.

chefist

Quote from: MV on June 26, 2015, 03:14:41 PM

or something like that.

GUR POSTED THIS LINK, WHICH IS GOOD: http://radio-locator.com/

THEN EMAIL THE FOLLOWING LETTER, AND FOLLOW UP WITH A PHONE CALL/VOICEMAIL. IF YOU CAN PLEASE PUT THE ACTUAL NAME OF THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR...MOST OF THE RADIO STATIONS HAVE THAT LISTED.  I GOT A CALL BACK FROM KVOI HERE IN TUCSON.

Program Director

Hello, my name is __________________, and I live in _______________.  Art Bell is returning with a new late night show on July, 20th.  I have been a huge fan of his for years, and was curious if your station could carry his show? He originated and built that late night paranormal talk genre.  If he were on I would absolutely tune into your station! The stations who have Midnight In The Desert will be carrying absolutely the best product late night radio has to offer.  Art is a radio pioneer, and now he is pioneering a new digital format for talk radio.

Here is a link for more information, http://artbell.com/terrestrial-affiliates-inquire-here/. Also, you can see the other terrestrial radio stations that have signed up at: http://artbell.com/radio-stations/.

Thank you for your time!

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ON HOW TO TWEEK THE LETTER...I THINK IT SHOULD BE SHORT AND TO THE POINT...

popple

NXOEED, that is exactly what I hoped someone would do. So much YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! Art's smoking avatar needs to be plastered on the side of a building.

SredniVashtar

I take the point, as Saucy said, that there is something backward-looking about radio, but it is still the present, whether we like it or not. It is destined to wither away eventually, but it is still with us for the time being and will be the main point of contact for new listeners coming to Art Bell, even now. The one problem I had with Dark Matter was that it felt that it was working from within a very minority audience, where Coast was plugged into the culture of the time, which can still be heard and felt when you listen back years later.

The importance of radio over the internet at this point, mainly, is that it will give us a wider pool of callers rather than hearing the same old voices each night (certain Australian agents of destruction notwithstanding, of course). I would hazard a guess that Art needs the challenge of new people on the phone to keep him on his game and retain his interest, otherwise it becomes a closed-shop members-only world, and he might think he has better things to do again.

I suppose a few bolder spirits in radio will take up the challenge of putting on Art and seeing what happens, while the more timid ones might go for the 'wait and see' approach for a while and watch how it all pans out. Midnight in the Desert is such a great name, for a start, and I can't help but think that Dark Matter was just a practice swing for the real thing that was going to come up later.

Anyway, I think, as people have said, that emphasising the fact that you have a peerless broadcaster out there waiting in the wings ought to convince most people with any sense that it is the right move to take. And it is also pretty low-risk, as these things go.

NXOEED

looking forward to it. I've got a couple little things planned to coincide with the campaign.

Also, some program director wished me a happy birthday on my FB profile the other day (I share a birthday with Art Bell and Jello Biafra, two of my heroes). I thanked him and asked if he knew about Art's show, that he could pick up the feed and broadcast it on his station. He seemed really excited about that. He asked me for contact info so I sent him to that affiliates page. I have no idea if anything ever came of that, but it'd be really cool to know if we get a Phoenix affiliate.

coaster

the stations who carry Midnight In The Desert will be carrying absolutely the best product late night radio has to offer. 

this^

Problem I'm seeing with the radio stations in my area is there are only a few companies that have their hands on all the individual stations. A lot of the same program director email addresses. On the bright side if one company does take the bait, it could mean more than one station in the area broadcasting Art.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: chefist on June 26, 2015, 03:32:14 PM

THEN EMAIL THE FOLLOWING LETTER, AND FOLLOW UP WITH A PHONE CALL/VOICEMAIL. IF YOU CAN PLEASE PUT THE ACTUAL NAME OF THE PROGRAM DIRECTOR...MOST OF THE RADIO STATIONS HAVE THAT LISTED.  I GOT A CALL BACK FROM KVOI HERE IN TUCSON.

Program Director

Hello, my name is __________________, and I live in _______________.  Are Bell is returning with a new late night show on July, 20th.  I have been a huge fan of his for years, and was curious if your station could carry his show? He originated and built that late night paranormal talk genre.  If he were on I would absolutely tune into your station!

Here is a link for more information, http://artbell.com/terrestrial-affiliates-inquire-here/. Also, you can see the other terrestrial radio stations that have signed up at: http://artbell.com/radio-stations/.

Thank you for your time!

PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS ON HOW TO TWEEK THE LETTER...I THINK IT SHOULD BE SHORT AND TO THE POINT...

Doesn't a letter like that take it for granted that they know who Art is (also, best have the man's name spelled correctly too) and what his show was all about? I think it is often a mistake to underestimate people's ignorance, and their short memories. Perhaps a sentence or two telling them the sort of things they could expect to be getting? Also, is it a good idea to stress the paranormal side, or not? I am not sure one way or the other. We all know that he is capable of being more than the spooky guy on the radio, and covered all sorts of topics in a lively and entertaining way. Perhaps direct them to one of these trailers that keep on sprouting like mushrooms - and are uniformly excellent, from what I have seen. The  letter as it stands looks a little bland to me and probably needs to 'pop' a little more if it is to have the desired effect.

chefist

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 26, 2015, 03:52:54 PM
- and are uniformly excellent, from what I have seen. The  letter as it stands looks a little bland to me and probably needs to 'pop' a little more if it is to have the desired effect.

cool...any ideas on how to make it pop?

Heather Wade

Quote from: NXOEED on June 26, 2015, 03:22:03 PM
gearing up to wheatpaste the shit out of Phoenix with a series of illustrations (it's what I do). Illustrations will be provided in both B/W and color at 300 ppi for anybody who wishes to join in the fun, or pee on them, or whatever.

YES YES YES and YES.  If you get a chance, it would be so cool of you to post pics of your masterpieces.

NXOEED

Quote from: (Redacted) on June 26, 2015, 04:05:49 PM

YES YES YES and YES.  If you get a chance, it would be so cool of you to post pics of your masterpieces.

haha thank you for calling them that, although I don't know that they'll be able to live up to the description. I'll definitely do that though.

I'm really excited about the 20th.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: chefist on June 26, 2015, 04:01:00 PM
cool...any ideas on how to make it pop?

I was hoping that you weren't going to notice that I didn't offer any actual 'ideas'  :-[

I think of Art as a seminal figure in radio. Is it any coincidence that the boom in ufology and the paranormal etc happened at the same time as Art was doing his thing? Hell, I think AB should have got royalties from the X-Files for the way they hitched their wagon to his star and pilfered most of the themes from his show. And plenty of other people in those fields owe their careers to him for giving them a platform and making them interesting enough to make names for themselves.

I don't want to over-egg this, but just a brief sentence (attention spans being what they are) pointing out he is capable of shaking things up by himself and making late-night radio an 'appointment to listen' event again. Rather than the ponderous shit it is now. I will have a think about the actual words and get back to you as I am a bit tired right now, but I think something that has less of a form-letter look to it might make it less likely to get tossed without being read.

SaucyRossy

Quote from: NXOEED on June 26, 2015, 03:22:03 PM

Phoenix lights themed!?!?!

And I'm totally interested!

Heather Wade

Quote from: chefist on June 26, 2015, 03:50:59 PM
thanks! Letter updated!

Thanks Chefist.  It's all good, sometimes it takes another pair of eyes to spot a typo.  Your effort means alot.  A gawd damn lot.

NXOEED

Quote from: SaucyRossy on June 26, 2015, 04:13:24 PM

Phoenix lights themed!?!?!

And I'm totally interested!

hell yeah.

Heather Wade

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 26, 2015, 04:13:04 PM
I was hoping that you weren't going to notice that I didn't offer any actual 'ideas'  :-[

I think of Art as a seminal figure in radio. Is it any coincidence that the boom in ufology and the paranormal etc happened at the same time as Art was doing his thing? Hell, I think AB should have got royalties from the X-Files for the way they hitched their wagon to his star and pilfered most of the themes from his show. And plenty of other people in those fields owe their careers to him for giving them a platform and making them interesting enough to make names for themselves.

I don't want to over-egg this, but just a brief sentence (attention spans being what they are) pointing out he is capable of shaking things up by himself and making late-night radio an 'appointment to listen' event again. Rather than the ponderous shit it is now. I will have a think about the actual words and get back to you as I am a bit tired right now, but I think something that has less of a form-letter look to it might make it less likely to get tossed without being read.

You have plenty of time to throw something together, and the less cookie-cutter, the better.  Can't thank you enough.

chefist

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 26, 2015, 04:13:04 PM

I hear ya...let me work on a sentence to add...

chefist

Quote from: (Redacted) on June 26, 2015, 04:13:28 PM

Thanks Chefist.  It's all good, sometimes it takes another pair of eyes to spot a typo.  Your effort means alot.  A gawd damn lot.

absolutely...I corrected it...no ego involved here so I'll work on some of the other suggestions now...thanks!

chefist

Program Director

Hello, my name is __________________, and I live in _______________.  Art Bell is returning with a new late night show on July, 20th.  I have been a huge fan of his for years, and was curious if your station could carry his show? He originated and built that late night paranormal talk genre.  If he were on I would absolutely tune into your station! The stations who have Midnight In The Desert will be carrying absolutely the best product late night radio has to offer.  Art is a radio pioneer, and now he is pioneering a new digital format for talk radio.

Thank you for your time!

starrmtn001

Quote from: GuerrillaUnReal on June 26, 2015, 02:37:50 PM
Man pimping Art Bell to radio stations is like selling weed around a high school. Got back a couple replies so far and just about all of them said they were interested and will pursue it. Also most of the program directors said they were fans of Art and were excited to know he's coming back.

Seriously, if everyone takes just a few minutes and send a nice e-mail to the programming directors of their local radio stations asking them to look into carrying Art's show, it seems to have some pretty good results.

All you got to do is write up a nice letter
go to this website http://radio-locator.com/
Find local stations with a format that would fit Art
E-Mail them your letter
BOOM! You just struck a blow for truth, justice and the American way.
Awesome GuerrillaUnReal!  Thanks for the link.  Bookmarked. ;)

Heather Wade

Quote from: chefist on June 26, 2015, 04:18:02 PM
absolutely...I corrected it...no ego involved here so I'll work on some of the other suggestions now...thanks!

Same here.  From what you have told me so far, you are certainly doing more than your fair share. 

jazmunda

My reply would be, "Yeah, sure, Art did quit his show in the past, just as lots of people quit their jobs for lots of reasons every day.  And it's true, nobody knows how long Art's going to be around this time, but what everybody does know is that the stations who carry Midnight In The Desert will be carrying absolutely the best product late night radio has to offer.  You can keep shoveling safe mediocrity in the overnight or take a chance on something you already know will be a superior product."

or something like that.

This post reminds me of Lyle Lanley from the monorail episode of The Simpsons. 

"Oh it's not for you. It's more of a Shelbyville idea."

Perhaps we need a catchy song and dance number.

http://youtu.be/sZBPoRwog00

Heather Wade

Quote from: chefist on June 26, 2015, 04:22:11 PM
Program Director

Thank you for your time!

The Blitz High Command, an adjunct of the SCORPION ARMY, approves of this message.

starrmtn001

Quote from: chefist on June 26, 2015, 03:32:14 PM

Program Director

Thank you for your time!

You beat me to the punch Chefist.  I like yours better.  I'll use it instead. ;)

Ms. C

Quote from: (Redacted) on June 26, 2015, 04:25:21 PM

The Blitz High Command, an adjunct of the SCORPION ARMY, approves of this message.

Here I am first  to report for duty to the Blitz HIGH Command   ....    8)

chefist

Quote from: (Redacted) on June 26, 2015, 04:25:21 PM

Cool...now folks have a form letter that they can use...don't forget to follow-up with a call/voicemail! Good luck Gabbers!

Heather Wade

Quote from: Ms. C on June 26, 2015, 04:33:19 PM

Here I am first  to report for duty to the Blitz HIGH Command   ....    8)

As someone who saw all the cool bands, we're proud to have you on the team, Ms. C.   8)

Heather Wade

PathoJen has kindly given us permission to include her Bigfoot trailer in The Blitz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-pCAtQFDZw

Heather Wade

Another fine work of genius we have permission to use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwi4fQKKM08