• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What is in my Father's notebook?

Started by Walks_At_Night, October 13, 2018, 06:20:43 PM

Quote from: albrecht on February 25, 2019, 10:08:28 PM
[size=78%]Going up for a few weeks into the belly of the beast again. Haha. Plan to check out the "new"  air n space museum out in Virginny.want to see Blackbird etc. Hear it is really nice. I recall someone (Birtchers? LaRouche?)  once gave away a little card so as you could ID embasy cars by license plates. Good stuff.[/size]

So you will be up in Northern Virgina then?

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 25, 2019, 09:50:46 PM

Those WWII a/c recognition manuals are fairly common, here one for sale currently on eBay.

ebay.com/itm/1943-WWII-Airplane-Recognition-Manual-FM-30-30-US-England-Germany-Japan-Aircraft-/283389993538?redirect=mobile

Autogyros, maybe?   They were used by most of the warring nations in WWII, although not in actual combat.

Thanks for the link Duke.  That isn't it. There is one on eBay that has a similar cover but isn't it.  It is much thin.  Dad's
was quite thick.  I'm positive it referred to those devices as a Gyrocopter but that picture is them.  I guess maybe just a
different name for a proto helicopter?

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 25, 2019, 10:23:39 PM
The run on smoke.  When you let the smoke out they do not work any more.   ;D

Public service message. In these times one must take care. A simple search for thing like tranny trouble or smoking tranny even with truck specs apparently derives some results not wanted. Clear cache also after said search lest your mechaical hobby is misunderstood.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 25, 2019, 10:24:15 PM
So you will be up in Northern Virgina then?

On the MD side but plan to check out that "new" museum there. Never seen it, Gonna try to see the new Indian one also. Apparently lotsa of corn involved. Serously, I was told that. I might need a stiff drink at the Willard after that. Love that place.

Quote from: albrecht on February 25, 2019, 10:39:57 PM

On the MD side but plan to check out that "new" museum there. Never seen it, Gonna try to see the new Indian one also. Apparently lotsa of corn involved. Serously, I was told that. I might need a stiff drink at the Willard after that. Love that place.

I'll send you a PM tomorrow with something to check out if you happen to end up nearby and have the time.
You might find it interesting.   ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 25, 2019, 10:43:31 PM
I'll send you a PM tomorrow with something to check out if you happen to end up nearby and have the time.
You might find it interesting.   ;)

Nice. Will look into.  Nothing beat finding a brown envelope at the, now removed, white citzens council momument in NOLA. Bizarre. Was several Xeroes of some guys id. Hispanic/Cuban even. A weird event, wished I kept it now,Mardi Gras early 90s. Unfortunate early AM walking home n saw said item. Had to climb/reach to get. Suffice.it to say I broke some operation amd saved our land. Haha.

Page 60 is a mechanical drawing of what I think should be an Inertia Starting Gear although it's labeled Inertia Stating Gear

Poking around, I've found this diagram on the Mark XV torpedo and I think the gear drawn lives in the upper right corner.

Page 60

Page 61 is a mechanical drawing entitled Fuel Spray complete with a fuel whirl.

Page 61

Some of the Benson/Gleaves Class Destroyers were armed with an Anti-Submarine Weapon called Mousetrap.   This was the little
brother to the Hedgehog mentioned earlier. 

The concept was the same - they were rockets that were thrown out in front of the Destroyer and would explode when they made contact with the targeted Submarine.   They were not as effective as the Hedgehog and well - they could be downright dangerous.  USS Turner (DD-648) was lost due to a Mousetrap.

USS Turner in happy times

Death of the USS Turner

It is a sad but interesting tale as it involved the first rescue
mission flown by a US helicopter.

Mousetrap

Thread is on another little hiatus for awhile - busy with work.

Page 62 is a drawing of the Starter System

Page 62

Page 63 is a rather intricate mechanical drawing of the SuperHeating system of the Mark XV Torpedo

Page 63

Page 64 is a mechanical drawing where Pops apparently had some spelling issues with the term  "Stop Valve". 
These things happen I guess.   :)

Page 64

So we've talked about about the various weapons that US Navy Destroyers carried onboard during the war.
5" guns, 40MM guns, 20MM guns, Depth Charges, Hedgehogs, Mousetraps and of course Torpedoes. 

All well and good but there was a confrontation where the humble Maine Tuber was pressed into service.
The confrontation had two parties - Destroyer USS O'Bannon versus Imperial Japanese Navy Submarine RO-35.
On a dark night in the South Pacific the O'Bannon came across the RO-35 running on the surface.   As was common
in warm climates many of the Subs crew was sleeping on deck.  Apparently the look outs were asleep as well as the
O'Bannon got the jump on the slumbering Japanese.   For some reason, the Americans decided that the best
option was to ram the enemy submarine and they made a beeline right for it.  At the last minute they thought
better of it and changed course so that they were parallel to the IJN Sub and so close that guns could not be depressed
enough to be brought to bear. With nothing else on hand and the Sub literally right *there* the American sailors
began grabbing potatoes and whipping them at the sleeping Japanese.  The Japanese of course flipped their gourd
and thinking that the objects were hand grenades and began throwing them back.   So for several minutes there was
quite the pitched battle going on.   Eventually the  O'Bannon was able to bring its guns into a position where
the  RO-35 was dispatched.

When the Maine Potato growers learned of the weird encounter and presented the ship with the following plaque
that was hung in the ships dining area:

More info: http://www.historybyzim.com/2012/03/the-maine-potato-episode/

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 04, 2019, 08:57:29 PM
So we've talked about about the various weapons that US Navy Destroyers carried onboard during the war.
5" guns, 40MM guns, 20MM guns, Depth Charges, Hedgehogs, Mousetraps and of course Torpedoes. 

All well and good but there was a confrontation where the humble Maine Tuber was pressed into service.
The confrontation had two parties - Destroyer USS O'Bannon versus Imperial Japanese Navy Submarine RO-35.
On a dark night in the South Pacific the O'Bannon came across the RO-35 running on the surface.   As was common
in warm climates many of the Subs crew was sleeping on deck.  Apparently the look outs were asleep as well as the
O'Bannon got the jump on the slumbering Japanese.   For some reason, the Americans decided that the best
option was to ram the enemy submarine and they made a beeline right for it.  At the last minute they thought
better of it and changed course so that they were parallel to the IJN Sub and so close that guns could not be depressed
enough to be brought to bear. With nothing else on hand and the Sub literally right *there* the American sailors
began grabbing potatoes and whipping them at the sleeping Japanese.  The Japanese of course flipped their gourd
and thinking that the objects were hand grenades and began throwing them back.   So for several minutes there was
quite the pitched battle going on.   Eventually the  O'Bannon was able to bring its guns into a position where

Eventually the Maine Potato growers learned of the weird encounter and presented the ship with the following plaque

THAT is hilarious and I had never heard of that! At first thought I figured Stielhandgranate in this case actual potatoes! Classic! Thanks.

Quote from: albrecht on May 04, 2019, 09:00:37 PM
THAT is hilarious and I had never heard of that! At first thought I figured Stielhandgranate in this case actual potatoes! Classic! Thanks.

I had thought it was just a legend but from what I can tell it actually happened.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 04, 2019, 09:02:58 PM
I had thought it was just a legend but from what I can tell it actually happened.
Several sources say: it is true. Bizarre. And I only thought potatoes were involved in various and sundry political affairs regarding spelling or famine and mass migration!

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 04, 2019, 08:57:29 PM

When the Maine Potato growers learned of the weird encounter and presented the ship with the following plaque

That is a great story, sort of a WWII version of that story from the Revolution where a minister plundered his hymnals when they ran low on wadding -- whether for cannon or muskets I forget -- shouting "Give 'em Watts, boys!" i. e. Isaac Watts.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 04, 2019, 09:56:34 PM
That is a great story, sort of a WWII version of that story from the Revolution where a minister plundered his hymnals when they ran low on wadding -- whether for cannon or muskets I forget -- shouting "Give 'em Watts, boys!" i. e. Isaac Watts.
Didn't you have some weird historical potato story. Like some kind of intercine conflict with regard to Japanese, Irish, or maybe some Canadian/British dispute, or SOMEONE up in that neck of the woods? I recall some weird tale regarding potatos, land ownership, sabotage/mining, etc? I could be totally off here....just off a long flight.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 04, 2019, 10:07:18 PM
Didn't you have some weird historical potato story. Like some kind of intercine conflict with regard to Japanese, Irish, or maybe some Canadian/British dispute, or SOMEONE up in that neck of the woods? I recall some weird tale regarding potatos, land ownership, sabotage/mining, etc? I could be totally off here....just off a long flight.

Maybe the Pig War?  The pig was eating the guy's potatoes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 04, 2019, 10:15:32 PM
Maybe the Pig War?  The pig was eating the guy's potatoes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)
Indeed! That was it! Classic. Just off a long flight so didn't, quite, recall. On the good side got, not my me but for me, some great Norskie Chocolate as a gift, and, more importantly, salty licorice. So funny, one brand named after some opera singer? WTF? Had before but never really paid attention as to who, why, this branding?

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on May 04, 2019, 10:32:24 PM
Indeed! That was it! Classic. Just off a long flight so didn't, quite, recall. On the good side got, not my me but for me, some great Norskie Chocolate as a gift, and, more importantly, salty licorice. So funny, one brand named after some opera singer? WTF? Had before but never really paid attention as to who, why, this branding?

Every now and then, I think I'm the only one in the world who likes the salted licorice. If I offer it to people, I "warn" them. If they help themselves, I sit back and wait for it to hit them.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: WOTR on May 04, 2019, 10:39:43 PM
Every now and then, I think I'm the only one in the world who likes the salted licorice. If I offer it to people, I "warn" them. If they help themselves, I sit back and wait for it to hit them.  ;)
It is an "acquired taste," as they say. But, once hooked. Maybe worse than fentantyle etc. Kidding. To wit: I bitched that no " tyrkisk pepper!!! (My favorite due to the maximum, likely by some international law, salmialk, ammonium chloride!! Haha. A different kind of salt that most aren't familiar with, but oh so good. As you know. My brother once accused me, when I mentioned, in passing, hey "if you happen to be going.." I'm running out and he said- "are you rationing!" Like a junkie. Take a fix but also scheming and preparing not to be without. Hahaha

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on May 04, 2019, 10:32:24 PM

Cool never heard of him before.  Should have used this pic:

WOTR

Quote from: albrecht on May 04, 2019, 10:47:41 PM
It is an "acquired taste," as they say. But, once hooked. Maybe worse than fentantyle etc. Kidding. To wit: I bitched that no " tyrkisk pepper!!! (My favorite due to the maximum, likely by some international law, salmialk, ammonium chloride!! Haha. A different kind of salt that most aren't familiar with, but oh so good. As you know. My brother once accused me, when I mentioned, in passing, hey "if you happen to be going.." I'm running out and he said- "are you rationing!" Like a junkie. Take a fix but also scheming and preparing not to be without. Hahaha

I used to worry about running low. Years ago, I was only aware of one candy store 2 hours away that sold this (I'm sure that others did, but I had not searched.) Then Loblaws started importing the Venco brand. Not the best- but they would do in a pinch.

Still later, the bulk barn started handling the standard DZ's. Again, selection was very limited between Loblaws and bulk barn- trips to the candy store were still necessary.  But then fate intervened, and I drove past the "Dutch wholesale" store in an industrial part of town beside the tracks. It was like the candy store- but closer, with better prices, and with better selection (yes, they carry other products as well.)

Finally, the world is right. a 15 minute drive and I'm in ammonium chloride heaven. Hard candy, licorice and pure drops of sugar mixed with salt plaster an entire wall.  :)

Jojo

Quote from: WOTR on May 04, 2019, 10:39:43 PM
Every now and then, I think I'm the only one in the world who likes the salted licorice. If I offer it to people, I "warn" them. If they help themselves, I sit back and wait for it to hit them.  ;)g
Sounds really interesting.  Is it available online?  Unfortunately, licorice isn't usually gluten free.  I wonder if there is any GF ammonium chloride candy.  Isn't that in antiperspirant.  Wiki says it can raise blood pressure, but so can any salt...

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 04, 2019, 11:39:04 PM
Cool never heard of him before.  Should have used this pic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OYfHAsfTKrw

This'll put some hairs on your pasty, pigeon chest.

WOTR

Quote from: 14 on May 05, 2019, 12:40:05 AM
Sounds really interesting.  Is it available online?  Unfortunately, licorice isn't usually gluten free.  I wonder if there is any GF ammonium chloride candy.  Isn't that in antiperspirant.  Wiki says it can raise blood pressure, but so can any salt...
Anxiety and stress have been shown to raise blood pressure... Worrying about your blood pressure can elevate it. You should follow the advice of Strangelove (to paraphrase) "How I learned to stop worrying and ingest the ammonium chloride".

Anyhow, just add some "salted licorice" to your next amazon order. There is lots to choose from. Or you can order from a specialty online store. For the "uninitiated" I would suggest schoolkrijt. They are soft and the chloride is not overpowering. They have a nice, sweet coating, and the saltiness is not as pronounced as many of the other versions. I think most people would like them. When you get to the more hardcore candy, the reactions that I have seen tell me that many people do not appreciate them.  :(

*Your research on ammonium chloride should also have shown that it can be used in cough syrups. It's amazing, wonderful stuff.

** If you want the more extreme flavours, search out salmiak.

***Last edit... I finally found them. I had taken mine out of the original packaging as it was a 1KG bag and put it into a jar (almost gone.) So I didn't know what the name for the perfect drops of sugar mixed with salt were (licorice flavour- but no "chewiness.") They are called Zoethoutjes