• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 04:04:35 AM

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 22, 2016, 05:33:39 AM
I messed with one of their pre-Alpha releases back before 2010. It needed a lot of work back then. It looks like they've released their alpha now though.

What exactly are you looking for ?

Nothing in particular - just had never heard of it and was wondering if it was a roaring disaster or not.

Lately I've been digging Elementary OS

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 23, 2016, 08:51:44 PM
Nothing in particular - just had never heard of it and was wondering if it was a roaring disaster or not.

http://distrowatch.com/   ;)

zeebo

I just salvaged a slow netbook overtaxed by Win 7 bloat, by loading the stripped down LXLE distro (which runs the lightweight desktop LXDE).  It's crept up to fairly high up on the distrowatch popularity list. 

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 23, 2016, 08:51:44 PM

Addendum: When I tried it, it was.
If you like Elementary, this might also tickle your fancy. http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/83087.html

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=rosa

Quote from: zeebo on February 24, 2016, 08:25:48 PM
I just salvaged a slow netbook overtaxed by Win 7 bloat, by loading the stripped down LXLE distro (which runs the lightweight desktop LXDE).  It's crept up to fairly high up on the distrowatch popularity list. 
LXDE window manager doubles as a desktop environment, that's what makes it quick. ;)

Here's another that's good on ancient hardware.
Sourceforge.net/projects/nelum-os/

If you're woried about Sourceforge adware bundled w/ your DL's, they're once again under new management.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/83031.html

Good info source (general) here:
http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/85195]http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/83031.html]

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on February 27, 2016, 03:47:35 PM
Addendum: When I tried it, it was.
If you like Elementary, this might also tickle your fancy. http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/83087.html

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=rosa

TY sir [I assume sir based of off Sandman] - I'm very pleased with Elementary but I'll definitely take a peek at what Ivan is up to with Rosa.  I like Debian under the hood
but Unity always chapped me.    Elementary is about as clean as it gets [unless you get into uEFI hell trying to install the damned thing]

analog kid

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 27, 2016, 10:37:42 PM
TY sir [I assume sir based of off Sandman] - I'm very pleased with Elementary but I'll definitely take a peek at what Ivan is up to with Rosa.  I like Debian under the hood
but Unity always chapped me.    Elementary is about as clean as it gets [unless you get into uEFI hell trying to install the damned thing]

I'm only interested in Debian based distros. I've used a lot of distros, starting with Mandrake in the 90s, but I'd rather have apt-get and the Debian/Ubuntu library of software. But I can't stand Unity and Gnome Shell. Mint Cinnamon is where it's at IMO. The built in graphics driver installer just works.

zeebo

Quote from: Ciardelo on March 08, 2016, 12:59:04 PM
The minute I saw that picture with the headline I wanted to run up to it and kick it over.  ;D

That's funny, I was thinking that too.  The only crime it'll have time to predict is it's own demise.

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 27, 2016, 10:37:42 PM
Unity sucks goat nuts ! 
I like Debian distributions too. Arch isn't bad either if you want total hands-on and are intermediate to advanced with the 'nixes.
Here's a couple of screen-shots that should give you an idea of what can be done w/ Xubuntu 14.04 running the XFCE4 environment. The icons are ubudao-style-1.4.5, the style is Azenis-Orange. Window manager style: Wallis. 14.04 is a Long Term Release. This system is running 3 workspaces.

Quote from: Value Of Pi on February 19, 2016, 04:37:45 AM
The security feature that blocks the brute force attack is the one that wipes the iPhone clean with too many wrong entries. That's the feature the government wants Apple to disable on this terrorist's iPhone. Whether the algorithm is unbreakable or not, the government indicates or implies that they can't do it, which says to me that it's as tough as it needs to be.

My question is, what's involved with disabling this feature? Presumably, if Apple can do it, so can someone else. I think Apple would rather not talk about the whole matter, or clarify anything for anyone.

Beyond the current situation, the company has a long history of designing things in such a way that customers or competitors can't mess around and make unauthorized discoveries or changes. It started with the proprietary operating system (which runs only on Apple hardware, although Hackintoshes are built by some) and runs right through all of their hardware and software design.
https://hacked.com/fbi-apple-snowden-iphone-horseshit/

Quote from: analog kid on February 28, 2016, 06:09:08 AM
I'm only interested in Debian based distros. I've used a lot of distros, starting with Mandrake in the 90s, but I'd rather have apt-get and the Debian/Ubuntu library of software. But I can't stand Unity and Gnome Shell. Mint Cinnamon is where it's at IMO. The built in graphics driver installer just works.
I just mentioned in another thread I'm testing AntiX MX-14 & loving it ! I'm a diehard Xubuntu fanBoi  and this distro kicks ass. It also runs on hardware w/ as little as 4GB HDD.
Edit: if you burn the PAE vers. to cd, you might have to add the "load=all" boot parameter if the distro can't find /dev/cd0.

Excellent distro based off Wheezy Debian. :)

analog kid

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on March 17, 2016, 05:01:23 AM
I just mentioned in another thread I'm testing AntiX MX-14 & loving it ! I'm a diehard Xubuntu fanBoi  and this distro kicks ass. It also runs on hardware w/ as little as 4GB HDD.
Edit: if you burn the PAE vers. to cd, you might have to add the "load=all" boot parameter if the distro can't find /dev/cd0.

Excellent distro based off Wheezy Debian. :)

I'm not sure what distro I want to go with. Linux Mint just had a security breach - their Wordpress-based site was hacked and a link to a backdoored ISO was added. Everyone and their cousin is jumping on the Mint hate bandwagon. If you recommend Mint for new users now, you get attacked by a hoard of geeks. You're supposed to recommend Ubuntu -- and Unity is the second most used DE, so people do actually like it. But if you want to use the Cinnamon desktop, or want to recommend it, one is supposed to manually install it on Ubuntu and then remove Unity. I'm not sure why I dislike Ubuntu so much. I don't want to be a member of that club.

Quote from: analog kid on March 17, 2016, 06:26:49 AM
I'm not sure what distro I want to go with. Linux Mint just had a security breach - their Wordpress-based site was hacked and a link to a backdoored ISO was added. Everyone and their cousin is jumping on the Mint hate bandwagon. If you recommend Mint for new users now, you get attacked by a hoard of geeks. You're supposed to recommend Ubuntu -- and Unity is the second most used DE, so people do actually like it. But if you want to use the Cinnamon desktop, or want to recommend it, one is supposed to manually install it on Ubuntu and then remove Unity. I'm not sure why I dislike Ubuntu so much. I don't want to be a member of that club.
I think the idea behind unity was to get more DOZE users to switch. It has security problems and is best removed anyway. It is convenient for those that are computationally challenged though. ;)

md5sum path>to>download>directory  <filename.iso>  ;)

Go with what you like and to hell with what others say.

If you build from source, not only are you assured of file integrity(after sum checks[md5 & sha1]), but the program is also optimized for your system hardware and runs faster and more stable. (Even though MD5 has been cracked, it takes a lot of effort to fake a sum.)

All 'nix distro's have sum checking capability built in.

analog kid

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on March 17, 2016, 08:49:46 AM
I think the idea behind unity was to get more DOZE users to switch. It has security problems and is best removed anyway. It is convenient for those that are computationally challenged though. ;)

md5sum path>to>download>directory  <filename.iso>  ;)

Go with what you like and to hell with what others say.

If you build from source, not only are you assured of file integrity(after sum checks[md5 & sha1]), but the program is also optimized for your system hardware and runs faster and more stable. (Even though MD5 has been cracked, it takes a lot of effort to fake a sum.)

All 'nix distro's have sum checking capability built in.

I've never done a check sum on an ISO. But Mint's own ISOs were never compromised, so that I trust.

Unity is the product of years of well-funded focus grouped research, to be the easiest desktop scheme for someone who has never used a computer and knows nothing about them. Like grandparents, for example. Seems like a vanishingly small subset of users to cater to. They also wanted an interface that worked on both a desktop and a touchscreen mobile device, like MS attempted with Windows 8's Metro. Gnome went that direction as well with Gnome Shell.

I still like the standard desktop with a taskbar and a start menu.

Quote from: analog kid on March 17, 2016, 09:21:38 AM
I've never done a check sum on an ISO. But Mint's own ISOs were never compromised, so that I trust.

Unity is the product of years of well-funded focus grouped research, to be the easiest desktop scheme for someone who has never used a computer and knows nothing about them. Like grandparents, for example. Seems like a vanishingly small subset of users to cater to. They also wanted an interface that worked on both a desktop and a touchscreen mobile device, like MS attempted with Windows 8's Metro. Gnome went that direction as well with Gnome Shell.

I still like the standard desktop with a taskbar and a start menu.
B1: Canonical put lots of time, effort, and money into trying to make Unity the most easy to use interface they could come up with. You're exactly right.  It's a heavy application though.
B2:  Same here. That's what i like about the XFCE4 panel, it can be used as a dock / launcher from the top, bottom, left, & right of the screen with as many or as few applications as you like. It can be sized statically or set to automatically expand or go opaque.  You can also bring it up on hover and hide it to reclaim screen real estate. Hell, you can even make it look like an Apple shelf launcher. More than one can be added to the desktop too. Full customization is the name of the game. ;)
You may get a kick out of this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fedora-16-gnome-3-review,3155-27.html. I pretty much ditch things I can't customize to my liking. With DOZE, I learned how to hack the registry - not without some major f-ups though, but I exported the hives beforehand and re-merged when I borked them. For me, that's what's fun about computing, learning the guts of how something works, and then improving upon them to suit my needs.  :)

Correction to my previous post:

Terminal: md5sum  /path/to/file/from/root

^^^ this works on my version of 'nix ^^^  The following tutorial is incorrect regarding linux, but it gives you the basic gist for the major OSes.
http://www.droidviews.com/check-md5sum-of-a-file-on-windows-mac-and-linux/

Replace md5sum w/ sha1sum to check the sha1. All files should have both. 10 seconds is all it takes to check to make sure of any files' integrity. Hope this helps.

DEEP & DEEPER.
True heterogeneous computing - an HPC Cluster Booster.

https://sciencenode.org/feature/boosting-science-with-the-next-generation-of-supercomputers.php

Combining this w/ directly connected switchless nodes is the way to go.

Ciardelo

So I have a wireless HP printer Deskjet 3520 on my home network.

It "wakes up" at random times and appears to be responding to some kind of signal. It will wake up, the screen will light and I can hear the print heads aligning just like it is ready to print.

Is this caused by random signals or something? I think I'm pretty secure on the network but I've been reading about the "internet of things" problems and wonder if it might be waking to intrusion attempts...

Any help?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Ciardelo on March 23, 2016, 02:27:40 AM
So I have a wireless HP printer Deskjet 3520 on my home network.

It "wakes up" at random times and appears to be responding to some kind of signal. It will wake up, the screen will light and I can hear the print heads aligning just like it is ready to print.

Is this caused by random signals or something? I think I'm pretty secure on the network but I've been reading about the "internet of things" problems and wonder if it might be waking to intrusion attempts...

Any help?

New printer! The kind you're using you can usually find on sale somewhere for $50 or less. You'll probably pay almost that for the replacement cartridges  ;)

Ciardelo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on March 23, 2016, 02:38:25 AM
New printer! The kind you're using you can usually find on sale somewhere for $50 or less. You'll probably pay almost that for the replacement cartridges  ;)
mmm  >:(

Clark Howard (consumer guru) has long said that it is far cheaper to just buy a whole new printer on sale than it is to buy the replacement inks. I think nowadays the printer companies have figured out what we are doing and just give niggardly amounts of ink in new printer packs.

What about the consumer-grade laser printers? I just need B/W. Maybe I'll get more duty cycles for my home office that way... 

cweb

Quote from: Ciardelo on March 23, 2016, 02:51:24 AM
mmm  >:(

Clark Howard (consumer guru) has long said that it is far cheaper to just buy a whole new printer on sale than it is to buy the replacement inks. I think nowadays the printer companies have figured out what we are doing and just give niggardly amounts of ink in new printer packs.

What about the consumer-grade laser printers? I just need B/W. Maybe I'll get more duty cycles for my home office that way...
I bought a decent Brother laser printer 3 years ago. Been buying high-capacity replacement toners from Monoprice since then. They last at least as long as the regular toners and cost half as much. YMMV on the Monoprice refills, but even if you use one and a half of them in the same span you would use a "brand name" toner, you're still ahead.

Juan

Quote from: Ciardelo on March 23, 2016, 02:51:24 AM

I bought a Brother laser printer 8-years ago and it's still going strong.  I've found toner to be reasonable, even the manufacturer's stuff, and I've replaced the drum once. I find it far, far superior to inkjet printers.

Quote from: analog kid on March 24, 2016, 05:20:34 AM
The latest Gnome desktop is looking pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU2f_jkPRq4
The functionality looks much improved, especially for development. I don't care for the deault eye candy. It looks like Chrome - YUK. I'm sure it can be skinned though. Thanks for the drop. :)