• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 10:19:12 AM
Caligula used to do that too.

Hey I just tee them up you don't have to swing

K_Dubb

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 06, 2019, 10:19:23 AM
Mushy peas on meat pies sans offal is good eating.  Offal is awful (ever have steak and kidney pie?)

Yes, it is tasty.  I like the little pork ones too, with the jelly poured in the hole.

There's an actual British bakery about a half hour from me.  It is a running joke why you don't see any homeless people in Redmond.

albrecht

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 06, 2019, 10:19:23 AM
Mushy peas on meat pies sans offal is good eating.  Offal is awful (ever have steak and kidney pie?)

Yes. I love steak&kidney pies. I love black pudding also. Hard to find here though, likely some FDA crap. Oddly I'm a champion for British "cuisine," much better than fancy n small portioned Continental stuff- though jellied eels I'm not into.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: albrecht on May 06, 2019, 11:08:58 AM

Yes. I love steak&kidney pies. I love black pudding also. Hard to find here though, likely some FDA crap. Oddly I'm a champion for British "cuisine," much better than fancy n small portioned Continental stuff- though jellied eels I'm not into.

I've had various kinds of blood puddings/sausages that were good but IMO Portuguese morcilla es la mejor.

ItsOver

Quote from: chefist on May 05, 2019, 05:36:48 PM
Where is Eddie Coyle?  Miss that guy...
Too many beans?  Boston baked beans with lots of booze must be a killer.  It had to have been one hell of an explosion.

SredniVashtar

http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/index.htm

I recommend the sheep's ears stuffed with veal forcemeat. Twice the cruelty and only half the price.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: ItsOver on May 06, 2019, 11:34:20 AM
Too many beans?  Boston baked beans with lots of booze must be a killer.  It had to have been one hell of an explosion.

Well, there is that...

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 11:40:55 AM

I recommend the sheep's ears stuffed with veal forcemeat. Twice the cruelty and only half the price.

I recommend the Simnel Cake.  Easy to make and impressive-looking.  Light fruitcake with a layer of marzipan baked in, and more on top, with balls for the apostles.  Fruitcake is not just for Christmas.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 11:40:55 AM

OMG!  Imagine all those sheep running around with one or both ears missing.  Wanton barbarism in this day and age.  I'm shocked and appalled. 

ItsOver

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 06, 2019, 11:51:22 AM
I recommend the Simnel Cake.  ...with balls for the apostles. 
It should be interesting to see where this leads.

SredniVashtar

I recommend the Simnel Cake.  Easy to make and impressive-looking.  Light fruitcake with a layer of marzipan baked in, and more on top, with balls for the apostles.  Fruitcake is not just for Christmas.

When I was a kid we used to have something called Tunis cake. From memory is was Madeira cake with a thick layer of chocolate round it topped with candied fruits. It was a Xmas thing. I've heard of Simnel cake but never tried it.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 11:58:34 AM
When I was a kid we used to have something called Tunis cake. From memory is was Madeira cake with a thick layer of chocolate round it topped with candied fruits. It was a Xmas thing. I've heard of Simnel cake but never tried it.

Nice!  That is a new one for me; sounds tasty.  Will have to give it a shot -- I am practicing ganache, which is tricky.

Simnel tastes kind of like a Dundee cake (with grated fresh orange peel instead of the marmalade, which you can never really taste properly anyway) with the addition of marzipan, which always makes things better.  I love fruitcake and have tried a lot of yours, and this one is just about the zenith of British baking IMO.

And yes I deserved that hahaha

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 06, 2019, 12:06:07 PM
Nice!  That is a new one for me; sounds tasty.  Will have to give it a shot -- I am practicing ganache, which is tricky.

Simnel tastes kind of like a Dundee cake (with grated fresh orange peel instead of the marmalade, which you can never really taste properly anyway) with the addition of marzipan, which always makes things better.  I love fruitcake and have tried a lot of yours, and this one is just about the zenith of British baking IMO.

And yes I deserved that hahaha

Bakewell tart (talking of marzipan) is popular here but it is usually made with a thick layer of icing, which is wrong. Frangipanes are another almondy thing. Not forgetting Battenburg cake which my grandfather always called 'Trevor's Trousers'.

Kidnostad3

As a lad I once got sick from eating too much of my grandmother's mincemeat pie topped with Cross and Blackwells Hard Sauce (a holiday treat.).  I haven't trusted the Brits since and here you are recommending a dessert that includes something called apostle balls.  No offense but that's going to require elucidation and assurance that no animal parts are involved. 

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 12:22:14 PM
Bakewell tart (talking of marzipan) is popular here but it is usually made with a thick layer of icing, which is wrong. Frangipanes are another almondy thing. Not forgetting Battenburg cake which my grandfather always called 'Trevor's Trousers'.

Ha I am curious who Trevor with the checkered trousers was.  Also how you come by that bit of knowledge on the Bakewells.  Every one I've tried has the icing as you say.

I think every country in Europe has their version of the little almond tart; we have sandbakkelse which are basically the shell, sometimes filled with almond macaron (but we keep the skins on), and I know the Dutch have one that's pretty close to yours but with a much stronger almond flavor.  It's funny I think their years of the spice trade dialed up their palates for everything -- whole handfuls of spice where other people use a pinch.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 06, 2019, 12:29:28 PM
As a lad I once got sick from eating too much of my grandmother's mincemeat pie topped with Cross and Blackwells Hard Sauce.  I haven't trusted the Brits since and here you are recommending a dessert that includes something called apostle balls.  No offense but that's going to require elucidation and assurance that no animal parts are involved.

Haha no animal parts unless you count the eggs which were once a part of the fowl.  Just good, honest butter.

When you make marzipan at home there is raw egg and the apostle balls barely get browned under the broiler so there is an added frisson of danger.  For me that's a plus.

For reference: Simnel, the cake with balls

It actually comes out looking like that, too.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 06, 2019, 12:31:13 PM
Ha I am curious who Trevor with the checkered trousers was.  Also how you come by that bit of knowledge on the Bakewells.  Every one I've tried has the icing as you say.

I think every country in Europe has their version of the little almond tart; we have sandbakkelse which are basically the shell, sometimes filled with almond macaron (but we keep the skins on), and I know the Dutch have one that's pretty close to yours but with a much stronger almond flavor.  It's funny I think their years of the spice trade dialed up their palates for everything -- whole handfuls of spice where other people use a pinch.

It's supposed to look more like this:

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/bakewell_tart_90600

The kind of thing you get in shops is nowhere near that, with a thick layer of icing on it. You should try it, you'd never go back.

At one point over here, people would put nutmeg in almost everything. I suppose that must have been to do with the spice trade.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 12:39:22 PM

The kind of thing you get in shops is nowhere near that, with a thick layer of icing on it. You should try it, you'd never go back.

At one point over here, people would put nutmeg in almost everything. I suppose that must have been to do with the spice trade.

Oh see I would never even think that was a Bakewell looking at it -- where's the half a cherry?  That is a lot more like what we call fyrstekake - prince's cake.  Ok that's going on the list; looks simple, too.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 06, 2019, 12:42:43 PM
Oh see I would never even think that was a Bakewell looking at it -- where's the half a cherry?  That is a lot more like what we call fyrstekake - prince's cake.  Ok that's going on the list; looks simple, too.

I'm going to bookmark this and use it as evidence against you the next time you say rude things about British cuisine.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 12:39:22 PM

Funny you should mention nutmeg.  My home state of Connecticut is known as the "Nutmeg State" because "Yankee Peddlers" were accused of selling a piece of wood in place of nutmeg to some who thought the spice was a nut and tried crack it not realizing that it was actually wood.  Of course that's the Yankee Peddlers side of the story. 

SredniVashtar

:-*
Quote from: Kidnostad3 on May 06, 2019, 12:57:15 PM
Funny you should mention nutmeg.  My home state of Connecticut is known as the "Nutmeg State" because "Yankee Peddlers" were accused of selling a piece of wood in place of nutmeg to some who thought the spice was a nut and tried crack it not realizing that it was actually wood.  Of course that's the Yankee Peddlers side of the story.

I can't imagine being a nutmeg seller is a very lucrative trade, one lasts forever and I can't remember the last time I bought any. Fun fact, in soccer when someone puts the ball through an opponent's legs it's called a nutmeg, no idea why.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 12:47:47 PM
I'm going to bookmark this and use it as evidence against you the next time you say rude things about British cuisine.

Oh I have nothing against your traditional food -- baking-wise you didn't get in to viennoiserie like we (Norwegians) did (that's a whole interesting story about bakers in Denmark going on strike and having to import some from Vienna) but that's hardly your fault.

I think you guys bought into convenience food much like we (Americans, now) did, perhaps a bit more since those apartments you all moved in to weren't up to American kitchen standards.  Even now, a friend of mine who lived in Dover and London for a while made do with nothing but a glorified hot plate.

Kidnostad3

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 01:12:28 PM
:-*
I can't imagine being a nutmeg seller is a very lucrative trade, one lasts forever and I can't remember the last time I bought any. Fun fact, in soccer when someone puts the ball through an opponent's legs it's called a nutmeg, no idea why.

Yup.  Back in the day, a fight between players on a baseball diamond was called a "rhubarb."  One can only speculate. 

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 06, 2019, 01:18:02 PM
Oh I have nothing against your traditional food -- baking-wise you didn't get in to viennoiserie like we (Norwegians) did (that's a whole interesting story about bakers in Denmark going on strike and having to import some from Vienna) but that's hardly your fault.

I think you guys bought into convenience food much like we (Americans, now) did, perhaps a bit more since those apartments you all moved in to weren't up to American kitchen standards.  Even now, a friend of mine who lived in Dover and London for a while made do with nothing but a glorified hot plate.

Historically we've never been all that interested in food. People used to cook vegetables until they disintegrated, you could only get olive oil from the chemist shop, everything was loaded with suet to fill you up. The dreary weather accounts for a lot of it - you just want something solid and soporific to take your mind off things - and maybe there's a Protestant side that finds it suspicious to be too interested in food.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on May 06, 2019, 01:42:51 PM
Historically we've never been all that interested in food. People used to cook vegetables until they disintegrated, you could only get olive oil from the chemist shop, everything was loaded with suet to fill you up. The dreary weather accounts for a lot of it - you just want something solid and soporific to take your mind off things - and maybe there's a Protestant side that finds it suspicious to be too interested in food.

That is a good point.  Babette's Feast is one of my favorite movies.

You guys certainly seem to be making up for it now.  I have never seen more beautifully produced cooking shows, and there's that abominable new coinage "gastropub" to think of.  I am sure we will start getting them here soon.

Roswells, Art

That's it! I'm making a baking thread. Please join me there! It's something I've been wanting to do ever since reading about K_Dubb's inspiring Pfeffernusse excursions.

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 05, 2019, 11:22:38 PM
It's really just ertesuppe enriched with cream and sometimes some mint -- nothing wrong with that.  I think the most entertaining part of this whole episode is that we learned Walks is a giant baby whose bowels turn to water at the sight of some decomposed legumes.  He must have huddled indoors all day today lest some festive frijoles pass by on the street.

I have been sneaking some cream into the pea soup the past couple years on Christmas Eve and everyone wonders why it is so good.

Well I wouldn't go as far as bowels turning to water but this is the way the Pea was meant to be:

Round, covered in green dye and right out of the freezer bag that has that big green dude in the skirt on it...........................

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on May 06, 2019, 05:20:10 PM
Well I wouldn't go as far as bowels turning to water but this is the way the Pea was meant to be:

Round, covered in green dye and right out of the freezer bag that has that big green dude in the skirt on it...........................
"
I eat my peas with honey;
I've done it all my life.
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps them on the knife." 

Apparently no honey needed with this item!