• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Phil Hendrie

Started by Caruthers612, November 20, 2008, 11:35:40 AM

Who is your favorite Hendrie guest of all time..

Art Bell
Steve Bosell
Bobbie Dooley
Chris Norton
Raj Fahneen
Austin Amarka
Bob Green
Bud Dickman
Clara Bingham
David G. Hall
Dean Wheeler
Doug Dannger
Dr. Jim Sadler
Father James McQuarter
Harvey Wireman
Herb Sewell
Jay Santos
Jeff Dowder
Lloyd Bonifide
Margaret Gray
Pastor William Rennick
R.C. Collins
Ted Bell
Vernon Dozier
General Johnson Jameson

SredniVashtar

This is almost impossible. Every time I think of one, then two or three other names pop up to compete with it. You have to have pretty big brass balls to have a character who is a convicted child molester. There was one time when Herb Sewell called in from Chuck E Cheese, and he insisted that he was only there because of their meatball pizza. I also loved the way he would keep referring to his friend Walter Bellhaven - a "world class" serial killer. There was another one where he came on as a spokesman for divorced fathers or something, and he kept going on about there being "no rulebook for being a good parent", and it turned out that the reason his kids weren't talking to him was because he pushed their mother out of the car doing about 60 on the freeway.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 28, 2015, 09:50:21 AM
...he pushed their mother out of the car doing about 60 on the freeway.

and he said in the mirror he could still see her jaw flapping at him as she bounced on the highway, heh heh.

No General Jameson in the poll?

SredniVashtar

"Tell the lesbians that Bob Green is coming and hell follows"

I also like the bit where he faked a heart attack and then fired anyone who didn't come to visit him in hospital. Oh, and when he helped a female employee move house and thought the least she could have given him in return was an "open-mouthed tongue kiss".

PING

I'm in the DC area. We had a station change to talk in 2000 or 2001. Until they got more shows lined up it was Art all night (C2C live then replay) and Hendrie replays all day until his show went live at 7. God life was good back then.

PING

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 18, 2015, 04:21:47 AM
It comes from March 2001, so that should help you narrow it down. There are some others like the Peenman Hell Suit and the Bea Arthur crucifix. Of course, my favourite Art Bell bit was the Goblin Juice thing where he just lost it and couldn't get the name out.

He also loses it trying to say 'Santa Spunk'

That's on my go-to listen to list if I need a pickup. Hearing Phil lose it works every time

albrecht

Quote from: SredniVashtar on November 28, 2015, 09:50:21 AM
This is almost impossible. Every time I think of one, then two or three other names pop up to compete with it. You have to have pretty big brass balls to have a character who is a convicted child molester. There was one time when Herb Sewell called in from Chuck E Cheese, and he insisted that he was only there because of their meatball pizza. I also loved the way he would keep referring to his friend Walter Bellhaven - a "world class" serial killer. There was another one where he came on as a spokesman for divorced fathers or something, and he kept going on about there being "no rulebook for being a good parent", and it turned out that the reason his kids weren't talking to him was because he pushed their mother out of the car doing about 60 on the freeway.
Hendrie REALLY pushed the boundaries of radio broadcasting themes with some of his characters:
-the child-molester/killer stuff (I recall someone, was it Jay Santos, who was explaining about a recent child-killer on the news was "like a guy who you could go have a few beers with" and "anyone could 'come-down' with a child-killing kick) which Hendrie implied it was like a virus. And so they need to come a "take a peek around" for the signs at men's houses. And of course all the stories of Walter Bellhaven- who also was am expert coronet player and once on tour several children went missing- and Herb's stories and creepy laughing.

-Drunken Irish priest saying only Irish should celebrate St.Patty's day and the errant pedo Priests just "took a little peek" and didn't, really, do anything wrong.

-The guy who has sex with his daughter and was handing out phamplets at schools (Herb Sewell?) about Father-Daughter 'relationships'- only AFTER graduation. And NEVER between mother-son (because his ex left him)

-All the shows in which Margaret is so "hip" and "with it" and lets her children, and their friends, party at their house (sometimes Steve drunk and naked in hot tub, sometimes drunken boat trips, sometimes kids sex at home, showing them to strip-tease, etc.)

I wish there was someone as dedicated as you-know-who was who had the files, patience, and technical ability to make an "ultimate" Hendrie torrent archive. I know Hendrie would be against it but in the torrent worlds....and there are so many dupes, incomplete shows, mislabeled, missing, etc shows out there in places where Hendrie hasn't, yet, taken them down. For posterity's sake because he was/can-be genius but fights against his fans archiving/sharing (even way before he had a site to do so) and so stuff is disappeared.

PING

Hendrie may be an ass off the air in real life. Meh so be it. The truly talented, whether it's music, acting or radio, are many times perfectionists and brilliant at what they do, but outside that arena aren't saints. Christian Bale having an epic meltdown is a great  example.

Hendrie definitely made a huge mistake going after traders of his shows. if they were selling it, fine.

As for not listening to him because you don't agree with his politics etc. your loss. If I like a performer/musician, I generally don't care what their political/religious/sexual/(fill in the blank with whatever people get butthurt and their knickers in a knot over) orientation is. After all, the world would be so very boring (but run SO much better) if everyone agreed with me.

I haven't listened to Hendrie in a while, primarily because of no callers. For me the great joy was him stringing some unsuspecting schmuck along. Is he still worth listening to these days?

albrecht

Quote from: PING on November 28, 2015, 08:14:39 PM
Hendrie may be an ass off the air in real life. Meh so be it. The truly talented, whether it's music, acting or radio, are many times perfectionists and brilliant at what they do, but outside that arena aren't saints. Christian Bale having an epic meltdown is a great  example.

Hendrie definitely made a huge mistake going after traders of his shows. if they were selling it, fine.

As for not listening to him because you don't agree with his politics etc. your loss. If I like a performer/musician, I generally don't care what their political/religious/sexual/(fill in the blank with whatever people get butthurt and their knickers in a knot over) orientation is. After all, the world would be so very boring (but run SO much better) if everyone agreed with me.

I haven't listened to Hendrie in a while, primarily because of no callers. For me the great joy was him stringing some unsuspecting schmuck along. Is he still worth listening to these days?
I agree, though these days independent thought or being not politically-correct- or simply being an asshole or not thinking logically through one's actions- is verboten. I've only caught the modern Hendrie a few times and he still can be good. But I haven't listened enough to give you a real opinion. Sometimes I catch a bit or when he does a replay from his archive. But, from what I heard over the past few years, less real callers, more politics, and more "all characters" at once barrage instead of a more focused program with a single, or few, characters. Still, I consider him a genius and a radio great.

ponyboysunset

I just got into Phil. Holy hell is he funny. Margaret Grey kills me. Recently he did a show where she sings Beyond the Sea and I lost my shit. Brilliant.

Auslandia

Quote from: ponyboysunset on December 30, 2015, 07:25:20 PM
I just got into Phil. Holy hell is he funny. Margaret Grey kills me. Recently he did a show where she sings Beyond the Sea and I lost my shit. Brilliant.

You should've heard him back in his heyday when he used to be live on the radio & take callers.  Holy shit that was hilarious.

Auslandia

Quote from: albrecht on November 28, 2015, 07:21:39 PM
Hendrie REALLY pushed the boundaries of radio broadcasting themes with some of his characters:
-the child-molester/killer stuff (I recall someone, was it Jay Santos, who was explaining about a recent child-killer on the news was "like a guy who you could go have a few beers with" and "anyone could 'come-down' with a child-killing kick) which Hendrie implied it was like a virus. And so they need to come a "take a peek around" for the signs at men's houses. And of course all the stories of Walter Bellhaven- who also was am expert coronet player and once on tour several children went missing- and Herb's stories and creepy laughing.

-Drunken Irish priest saying only Irish should celebrate St.Patty's day and the errant pedo Priests just "took a little peek" and didn't, really, do anything wrong.

-The guy who has sex with his daughter and was handing out phamplets at schools (Herb Sewell?) about Father-Daughter 'relationships'- only AFTER graduation. And NEVER between mother-son (because his ex left him)

-All the shows in which Margaret is so "hip" and "with it" and lets her children, and their friends, party at their house (sometimes Steve drunk and naked in hot tub, sometimes drunken boat trips, sometimes kids sex at home, showing them to strip-tease, etc.)

I wish there was someone as dedicated as you-know-who was who had the files, patience, and technical ability to make an "ultimate" Hendrie torrent archive. I know Hendrie would be against it but in the torrent worlds....and there are so many dupes, incomplete shows, mislabeled, missing, etc shows out there in places where Hendrie hasn't, yet, taken them down. For posterity's sake because he was/can-be genius but fights against his fans archiving/sharing (even way before he had a site to do so) and so stuff is disappeared.

My all time favorite is either when Steve Bosell "lost his mud" at a fireworks show because he suffered from ptsd after watching "Saving Mr Ryan" or when Paul Tubby Lane thinks he should be in the NASCAR hall of fame because he's so good at Sega racing.  I always lose it when I hear him say the caller is "racist" because he's making jokes about racing.

A close second to both is when Jay Santos was putting a belt sander to cars on the highway to find a sniper or some shit.  I can't for the life of me remember wtf the sander was for.  Then Lloyd Bonafide calls in and says he'll sodomize him if he sands his Winnebago to which Santos replies "so now I'm a faggot and I'm gonna have my skull sexed.  Anything else gentlemen?"  God damn that shit was funny.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Auslandia on January 05, 2016, 10:07:13 PM

A close second to both is when Jay Santos was putting a belt sander to cars on the highway to find a sniper or some shit.  I can't for the life of me remember wtf the sander was for.  Then Lloyd Bonafide calls in and says he'll sodomize him if he sands his Winnebago to which Santos replies "so now I'm a faggot and I'm gonna have my skull sexed.  Anything else gentlemen?"  God damn that shit was funny.

haaaahahaha, yeah, that's among my favorite.

it was during the DC sniper panic, and police had gotten word that the sniper was possibly driving a van that had been repainted.  jay was going to take a belt sander to vehicles just to verify they hadn't been repainted, and then "send people on their way."  goddamn that was a funny one.  i remember hearing that one air live.

Auslandia

Right the DC sniper -- I forgot all about that.  Does anyone remember when Ted Bell was having some special night to spotlight all the countries the USA had beaten in wars? He said he had photos of Hitler in the urinals & such.  I just remember it devolved into a bunch of semi racist hilarity and I laughed my ass off while trying to drive on a trip.  I never did find it in any of his archives.  It may have been in that 90s period where not a lot of his material was recorded.

ponyboysunset

I ordered a Ted's Of Beverly Hills hoodie. The best is what's on the back:
"We want to put our meat in your mouth"

How could I not? So much funny shit and loads of archives.

Auslandia

Quote from: ponyboysunset on January 06, 2016, 06:49:41 AM

What was funnier about that is when he actually played the audio jingle for Ted's before each Ted Bell segment, the word "mouth" was bleeped out because of a fake controversy Phil made up after Janet Jackson's 'wardrobe malfunction' at the Super Bowl.  His claim was that the FCC cracked down and made the show censor it.

Here's a free Ted clip I found on TRN's website where he's talking about serving an unruly kid alcohol to quiet him down: http://www.trn1.com/uploads/mp3/showclips/041311PHILTEDBELL.mp3

It doesn't have the bleep unfortunately. That simple addition was was turned funny into genius.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ponyboysunset on January 06, 2016, 06:49:41 AM

i had the ted's bowling shirt years ago.

Quote from: ponyboysunset on December 30, 2015, 07:25:20 PM
I just got into Phil. Holy hell is he funny.
Isn't it great when you first discover Phil?  It's kinda like with Art.  Magic!

ponyboysunset

Awesome MV!

Yes it is magic and I can't get enough.

And the customer service on that website is dynamite. Also Phil does Friday night chat. And watching him do the voices is just fucking amazing.

Auslandia

Quote from: ponyboysunset on January 06, 2016, 02:44:45 PM
Thank you.
I had to laugh all this started for me because some posted that three hour binge of him doing Art Bell.

that was me lol. 

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Auslandia on January 06, 2016, 03:16:29 PM
that was me lol.
Thank you kindly. I listened to all of it that night. And laughed.

albrecht

@mv and others. Archive.org now has a bunch of good, old Phil Hendrie on it. For now. Grab 'em while you can because I'm surprised he hasn't sicced his lawyers.  ;)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: albrecht on February 08, 2019, 07:15:34 AM
@mv and others. Archive.org now has a bunch of good, old Phil Hendrie on it. For now. Grab 'em while you can because I'm surprised he hasn't sicced his lawyers.  ;)

thanks.

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on February 08, 2019, 07:15:34 AM
I haven't listened to Phil in years.  Maybe it's time for a go.  I can always go for some of Ted's of Beverly Hill and his Art Bell was hilarious.

starrmtn001

Quote from: ItsOver on February 09, 2019, 08:32:22 AM
I haven't listened to Phil in years.  Maybe it's time for a go.  I can always go for some of Ted's of Beverly Hills and his Art Bell was hilarious.
"Let Us Put Our Meat In Your Mouth."

I LOVE Phil! ;D  And, yes, he did a perfect Are Bell.  (Wiping tears from my eyes).

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on February 09, 2019, 08:32:22 AM
I haven't listened to Phil in years.  Maybe it's time for a go.  I can always go for some of Ted's of Beverly Hill and his Art Bell was hilarious.
Hendrie is a friggin genius, especially back in the day. The way he can set-up the situation and spiral what "seemed" like an almost normal subject/"guest" into something very perverse and then as host be "surprised" on the way the subject is going and shocked at the "guest" views and get the callers enraged and engaged. Amazing. Genius. Made fun of everyone including the whole radio system. He should be taught in school along with Aristophanes and Swift; even more of a master of satire.  Too bad he seems to hate his listeners and unofficial archivists.  ;)