• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

U.S national soccer team fails to qualify for World Cup

Started by 136 or 142, October 11, 2017, 12:34:02 AM

136 or 142

First time since 1990.  U.S lost today to Trinidad and Tobago while both Panama and Honduras won, so the U.S ended up in fifth in the Hexagonal (ahead of Trinidad and Tobago.)  Top thee finishers in the hexagonal qualified automatically while the fourth place team plays the fifth place team in Asian qualifying.

Swishypants

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 11, 2017, 12:34:02 AM
First time since 1990.  U.S lost today to Trinidad and Tobago while both Panama and Honduras won, so the U.S ended up in fifth in the Hexagonal (ahead of Trinidad and Tobago.)  Top thee finishers in the hexagonal qualified automatically while the fourth place team plays the fifth place team in Asian qualifying.

Who gives a fuck about Soccer!?

136 or 142

Quote from: Lord Grantham on October 11, 2017, 06:29:50 AM
"Radio and Podcasts"

Yes, I thought I put this in 'random topics.'  Not sure what happened.

ShayP

I look forward to the World Cup.  I follow the USMNT and haven't been this disappointed in a long time.   Well...The last World Cup actually.  ;)  Total shock at yesterdays result.  The entire hierarchy needs replaced from Sunil Gulati on down.  I liked Jurgen Klinsmann, but I think he was hired 4 years too late.  I'm not sure what direction the team goes now.  The old standards like Dempsey and Howard will be gone.  Michael Bradley is awful.  Pulisic is the future star but he needs more help.  Speaking of Dempsey, I was hoping to see him in one last WC.  :(  Oh well.  At least he tied Donovan's goal record.  :-\

Lord Grantham

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 11, 2017, 10:59:22 AM
Yes, I thought I put this in 'random topics.'  Not sure what happened.

Must be something up, there's a few threads that seem to be misplaced.

Swishypants

Quote from: Lord Grantham on October 11, 2017, 11:44:34 AM

MV received no lady-lovin' last night; we must all suffer.

136 or 142

Quote from: Lord Grantham on October 11, 2017, 11:44:34 AM

It could have been my fault.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ShayP on October 11, 2017, 11:32:17 AM
I look forward to the World Cup.  I follow the USMNT and haven't been this disappointed in a long time.   Well...The last World Cup actually.  ;)  Total shock at yesterdays result.  The entire hierarchy needs replaced from Sunil Gulati on down.  I liked Jurgen Klinsmann, but I think he was hired 4 years too late.  I'm not sure what direction the team goes now.  The old standards like Dempsey and Howard will be gone.  Michael Bradley is awful.  Pulisic is the future star but he needs more help.  Speaking of Dempsey, I was hoping to see him in one last WC.  :(  Oh well.  At least he tied Donovan's goal record.  :-\

Fox looked forward to the World Cup as well. They paid $400 million to cover it. I wonder if they can sell those rights on eBay.

SredniVashtar

This is a step in the right direction and I can only hope that it will clear the way for a permanent ban. Americans have no business playing football for one thing, and then have the cheek to call it by another name (soccer ffs!). The whole thing looks weird and I think you should be confined to your own fatuous  pseudo-games. By the way, this is nothing personal. Much as I loathe and detest you nitwits, I have come to this conclusion quite impartially.

GravitySucks

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 12, 2017, 07:50:10 AM
This is a step in the right direction and I can only hope that it will clear the way for a permanent ban. Americans have no business playing football for one thing, and then have the cheek to call it by another name (soccer ffs!). The whole thing looks weird and I think you should be confined to your own fatuous  pseudo-games. By the way, this is nothing personal. Much as I loathe and detest you nitwits, I have come to this conclusion quite impartially.

I agree. The act of owning a soccer jersey should be automatic justification for a FISA warrant.

I agree.  It's time to stop trying to like this dumb sport, and pretending to care every four years.

The rest of the world should go back to kicking a bloody goat's head around in the dirt

ShayP

136 or 142

Soccer is a British word derived from 'Association football.'  The association being football and rugby.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: 136 or 142 on October 12, 2017, 09:26:07 AM
Soccer is a British word derived from 'Association football.'  The association being football and rugby.

Learn something new...

GravitySucks

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 12, 2017, 09:30:50 AM
Learn something new...

Actually it is derived from the French saying “sacre bleu”, an old phrase meaning “where are the rest of my pants”.

TigerLily

Soccer. Boring. Where's the maiming and mayhem? The CTE's? Maybe in the stands but certainly not on the field. Beach volleyball. Now there's a sport. I'd put our girls up against any other country's anytime

GravitySucks

Quote from: TigerLily on October 12, 2017, 09:54:02 AM
Soccer. Boring. Where's the maiming and mayhem? The CTE's? Maybe in the stands but certainly not on the field. Beach volleyball. Now there's a sport. I'd put our girls up against any other country's anytime

Yep. And they can stuff Team Handball and rhythmic gymnastics.

Add Barrel Jumping to the Winter Olympics

p.s. They are finding that CTE may be persistent in soccer for people that do too many headers or ... party with too many hooligans.

3OctaveFart

Soccer was invented by European men to keep their women busy while they cooked.

TigerLily

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 12, 2017, 09:59:16 AM
Yep. And they can stuff Team Handball and rhythmic gymnastics.

Add Barrel Jumping to the Winter Olympics

p.s. They are finding that CTE may be persistent in soccer for people that do too many headers or ... party with too many hooligans.

Between the CTE's and all the lead in the water causing brain damage we're all doomed. But it does explain Bellgab

Zetaspeak

Is there a sports equivalent of Alex Jones. The World Cup is in Russia, and US doesn't qualify, there's got to be a conspiracy somewhere.

I like soccer, it's interesting hearing the blame game now. Some are saying it due to US team being too money driven and only scouting kids with the means to go to college and ignoring inner city kids who might have pure talent but not the resources.

Or we can just blame Trump as under Obama the US went to TWO World Cups!!!  ;D

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Zetaspeak on October 12, 2017, 11:45:41 AM
Is there a sports equivalent of Alex Jones. The World Cup is in Russia, and US doesn't qualify, there's got to be a conspiracy somewhere.

I like soccer, it's interesting hearing the blame game now. Some are saying it due to US team being too money driven and only scouting kids with the means to go to college and ignoring inner city kids who might have pure talent but not the resources.

Or we can just blame Trump as under Obama the US went to TWO World Cups!!!  ;D

If they had the raw talent, they'd be playing somewhere.

Lord Grantham

Quote from: albrecht on October 12, 2017, 12:31:15 PM
http://www.thefixisin.net/

Alex has interviewed the sports world version, sorta, of Alex.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP8OmDBZMsI

That's a bold move Alex. Not many people would have an image of Hitler in the backdrop of their videos.

I'd rather play kickball than soccer but that's just me.

Zetaspeak

Quote from: albrecht on October 12, 2017, 12:31:15 PM
http://www.thefixisin.net/

Alex has interviewed the sports world version, sorta, of Alex.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP8OmDBZMsI

That's a good choice, if you are interested in that sort of stuff I will bring your attention to Declan Hill who wrote books on match fixing especially in world soccer. He also likes wearing a pompous scarf on his twitter photo and went to Oxford, which an elitist loving lib like myself makes him very relatable ;D

Rix Gins

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 12, 2017, 07:25:21 AM
Fox looked forward to the World Cup as well. They paid $400 million to cover it. I wonder if they can sell those rights on eBay.

If Fox covers it I will watch because I love the World Cup.  Just so long as they don't get a stupid assed idea to run commercials during gameplay, like USA network did twenty or so years ago.