• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Revisionism and American History

Started by 21st Century Man, June 28, 2017, 02:35:16 PM

Read a couple articles from noted black economist and onetime Rush substitute host Walter E. Williams about secession and our slave-holding founders.  Of particular note is that John Quincy Adams favored secession at one point.  Also Ulysses S. Grant was a slaveholder.  Anyway, the point of one of the pieces is that secession was a viable option within our Constitutional framework and secessionists were merely following in the footsteps of the original founders who rebelled against England.  It is funny how some folks in our country venerate the Founding Rebels and eagerly tar the reputations of the Confederate Rebels.

I'm not here to justify slavery as it has been and always will be an evil institution but I do believe that states have a right to secede if those in the federal government have stopped considering the interests of said states when setting policy.  The Founders thought so too.  So stop disrespecting Confederate monuments and  stop rewriting American History.

https://www.creators.com/read/walter-williams/06/17/were-confederate-generals-traitors

https://www.creators.com/read/walter-williams/06/17/rewriting-american-history

A last thought, here are some select lines from a Wikipedia entry about Nathan Bedford Forrest  about how he evolved from someone who was racist into someone that demanded equal rights for blacks.  Think about this when you suddenly get an urge to support the destruction of monuments.

"In August 1874, Forrest “volunteered to help ‘exterminate’ those men responsible for the continued violence against the blacks.” After the murder of four blacks by a lynch mob after they were arrested for defending themselves at a BBQ, Forrest wrote to Tennessee Governor Brown, offering “to exterminate the white marauders who disgrace their race by this cowardly murder of Negroes.” [65]

By the end of his life, Forrest’s racial attitudes would evolve â€" in 1875, he advocated for the admission of blacks into law school â€" and he lived to fully renounce his involvement with the Klan that he headed and abolished."

Speaks to black Southerners:
In July 1875, Forrest demonstrated that his personal sentiments on the issue of race now differed from those of the Klan, when he was invited to give a speech before an organization of black Southerners advocating racial reconciliation, called the Independent Order of Pole-Bearers Association. At this, his last public appearance, he made what the New York Times described as a "friendly speech"[12] during which, when offered a bouquet of flowers by a black woman, he accepted them as a token of reconciliation between the races and espoused a radical agenda (for the time) of equality and harmony between black and white Americans.[68] His speech was as follows:

"Ladies and Gentlemen I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. (Immense applause and laughter.) This day is a day that is proud to me, having occupied the position that I did for the past twelve years, and been misunderstood by your race. This is the first opportunity I have had during that time to say that I am your friend. I am here a representative of the southern people, one more slandered and maligned than any man in the nation.
I will say to you and to the colored race that men who bore arms and followed the flag of the Confederacy are, with very few exceptions, your friends. I have an opportunity of saying what I have always felt â€" that I am your friend, for my interests are your interests, and your interests are my interests. We were born on the same soil, breathe the same air, and live in the same land. Why, then, can we not live as brothers? I will say that when the war broke out I felt it my duty to stand by my people. When the time came I did the best I could, and I don't believe I flickered. I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe that I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to bring about peace. It has always been my motto to elevate every man- to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going.
I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, that you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Use your best judgement in selecting men for office and vote as you think right.
Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. I have been in the heat of battle when colored men, asked me to protect them. I have placed myself between them and the bullets of my men, and told them they should be kept unharmed. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.)

TL:DR  I know but please give the articles and my post a read.

Juan

Most people refuse to acknowledge that Forrest attended the Congressional hearings on lynchings and was so appalled, he disbanded the KKK.  It didn't exist for about 35-40 years until an idiot, influenced by a Hollywood movie, climbed Stone Mountain (outside Atlanta), burned a cross, and started the second KKK. It was more anti-immigrant and anti-Catholic than anti-black.

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 28, 2017, 02:35:16 PM
Read a couple articles from noted black economist and onetime Rush substitute host Walter E. Williams about secession and our slave-holding founders.  Of particular note is that John Quincy Adams favored secession at one point.  Also Ulysses S. Grant was a slaveholder.  Anyway, the point of one of the pieces is that secession was a viable option within our Constitutional framework and secessionists were merely following in the footsteps of the original founders who rebelled against England.  It is funny how some folks in our country venerate the Founding Rebels and eagerly tar the reputations of the Confederate Rebels...

The topic of whether states could succeed once they joined the Union was hotly debated from the day the 13 individual colonies joined together until the Civil War.  Lincoln's view prevailed by force.