• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 26, 2018, 04:25:34 PM
Hahaha good story, Rix!  That is a new one on me.  I remember the bathrooms being much in demand; in fact, the place was often so crowded we had to wait outside for a table.  Whoever decided to keep it open made a good call, though I feel sorry for the hard-working staff.

Wow, it usually wasn't all that busy when I was there.  I do recall that about a good quarter of our customers were Black folk from a section West of the establishment.  There was actually a riot one weekend and you could go out and hear gunshots and explosions going off.  One night a group of Black Panther looking dudes came in and a few minutes afterwards, Don the cook approached me with a serious look on his face.  He slapped a quarter into my palm and said, "When I give you the signal, slip out to the payphone and call the cops."  Well, Don went back to cooking and I could see him down the service aisle though I couldn't see any customers from my dishwashing station.  So I stood there, with coin in hand, watching Don and then it occurred to me.  What was the signal?  A quick wave?  A furtive hand gesture towards the seating area followed by another to me?  A pantomime routine of talking on a phone?  Or was I take Don holding up his hands or handing his wallet over the counter as a sign to notify the police?  Anyway, I started to giggle so much that I wouldn't have been good for calling anybody.  Haha, luckily the problem didn't arise.  I can't remember if I kept his quarter or not.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 26, 2018, 07:31:49 PM
Wow, it usually wasn't all that busy when I was there.  I do recall that about a good quarter of our customers were Black folk from a section West of the establishment.  There was actually a riot one weekend and you could go out and hear gunshots and explosions going off.  One night a group of Black Panther looking dudes came in and a few minutes afterwards, Don the cook approached me with a serious look on his face.  He slapped a quarter into my palm and said, "When I give you the signal, slip out to the payphone and call the cops."  Well, Don went back to cooking and I could see him down the service aisle though I couldn't see any customers from my dishwashing station.  So I stood there, with coin in hand, watching Don and then it occurred to me.  What was the signal?  A quick wave?  A furtive hand gesture towards the seating area followed by another to me?  A pantomime routine of talking on a phone?  Or was I take Don holding up his hands or handing his wallet over the counter as a sign to notify the police?  Anyway, I started to giggle so much that I wouldn't have been good for calling anybody.  Haha, luckily the problem didn't arise.  I can't remember if I kept his quarter or not.

Wow, Rix, you lived through some stuff!  And kept a healthy sense of humor hahaha.

West of there you must be thinking of Yesler Terrace, our first housing project and the first in the country to allow all races.  My grandparents lived there for a while when my dad was little; they were poor missionaries.  Now it is mostly Vietnamese and Cambodian.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 26, 2018, 10:40:27 PM
Wow, Rix, you lived through some stuff!  And kept a healthy sense of humor hahaha.

West of there you must be thinking of Yesler Terrace, our first housing project and the first in the country to allow all races.  My grandparents lived there for a while when my dad was little; they were poor missionaries.  Now it is mostly Vietnamese and Cambodian.

Ha, my dear K.  I'm usually good at directions, hardly ever need a map, but I'm afraid I goofed up on this one.  Thinking back, I believe that a person leaving the IHOP would be facing in a relatively easterly direction.  That is where the black section of town was back in 1968/69.  As I recall, there was a downward slope to the place.  As a matter of fact, I became acquainted with an older lady who had started a paranormal center not far from where my apartment was.  She and her family were white and they lived smack dab in the middle of one of the black neighborhoods there.  I visited there a couple of times and the neighbors were all pretty friendly.  Once I was invited for Thanksgiving dinner and vegetarian turkey and ham was served.  The turkey tasted kind of 'off' but the ham was spot on, I could have swore that I was eating the real thing. haha 

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 27, 2018, 02:29:54 PM
Ha, my dear K.  I'm usually good at directions, hardly ever need a map, but I'm afraid I goofed up on this one.  Thinking back, I believe that a person leaving the IHOP would be facing in a relatively easterly direction.  That is where the black section of town was back in 1968/69.  As I recall, there was a downward slope to the place.  As a matter of fact, I became acquainted with an older lady who had started a paranormal center not far from where my apartment was.  She and her family were white and they lived smack dab in the middle of one of the black neighborhoods there.  I visited there a couple of times and the neighbors were all pretty friendly.  Once I was invited for Thanksgiving dinner and vegetarian turkey and ham was served.  The turkey tasted kind of 'off' but the ham was spot on, I could have swore that I was eating the real thing. haha

Ah that makes sense; Mt. Zion Baptist is right up that way on Madison.  Man I wish I knew what you know!  What would a paranormal center be at that time, I wonder?  I was pretty sheltered and didn't really get weird and out of our little Ballard enclave until early adulthood.

Rix Gins

Here is the historic Antoine's Restaurant down New Orleans way.  It was established back in 1840.  Quite a history behind the place.  http://www.antoines.com/about

Let's have dinner there.  How about we order the Chateaubriand?  Grilled center cut tenderloin of beef for two, served with potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, and Antoine's Marchand de Vin and Béarnaise sauces.  $120.00 but that's an order for two, so not that bad, I guess.

Lots of famous people have eaten there over the years.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt had Oysters Rockefeller at Antoine's in 1937. Mayor Robert Maestri commented to Roosevelt "How you like dem erstas?", as the national press transcribed Maestri's Yat accent.
By WPA photographer not named; may be Earl S. Martin.  Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7752285

Rix Gins

Not in my collection but I wish it was.

Info: http://www.sealioncaves.com/FAQ.php

Having lived on the West Coast, I was able to visit this place once.  The building is perched on top of a cliff that overlooks the Pacific Ocean.  An elevator takes you down to the cave where, if you are lucky, you will see the sea lions gadding about.  When my group entered the cave, there were no sea lions to be found.  They are only there at certain times of the year, but still, it is really cool to be down there in the cave, and you can always see the sea lions playing around outside by looking down from the cliff top.  I was mildly irked that the elevator walls weren't transparent.  It would have been ultra cool to have seen the various striations of rock on the way down and on the way back up.  Love that Science of Geology.   

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 27, 2018, 05:26:57 PM

Here is the historic Antoine's Restaurant down New Orleans way.  It was established back in 1840.  Quite a history behind the place.  http://www.antoines.com/about

Let's have dinner there.  How about we order the Chateaubriand?  Grilled center cut tenderloin of beef for two, served with potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, and Antoine's Marchand de Vin and Béarnaise sauces.  $120.00 but that's an order for two, so not that bad, I guess.

Lots of famous people have eaten there over the years.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt had Oysters Rockefeller at Antoine's in 1937. Mayor Robert Maestri commented to Roosevelt "How you like dem erstas?", as the national press transcribed Maestri's Yat accent.
By WPA photographer not named; may be Earl S. Martin.  Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7752285
I think you can see his wheelchair in that shot? Though known in personal circles, and likely in the media, much was done to not show his disability and his apparatus. Sort of, like other issues though of a more 'choice issue' like sexual liaisons, of politicians of old. Or, if you look at some photos today of Hillary, Bush, etc. I ate there once. It is still around.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on May 28, 2018, 09:02:25 PM
I think you can see his wheelchair in that shot? Though known in personal circles, and likely in the media, much was done to not show his disability and his apparatus. Sort of, like other issues though of a more 'choice issue' like sexual liaisons, of politicians of old. Or, if you look at some photos today of Hillary, Bush, etc. I ate there once. It is still around.

Very cool that you ate there.  Do they still have those framed pictures on the wall?  I'm assuming they are like those artist sketches of famous people who ate at the Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood?

Rix Gins

This postcard sized real photo shows a train wreck that occurred back in 1916.  This is a re-posting as the image was lost the first time around.  Despite it's size, it was never used as a postcard.

Rix Gins

This is the publishing house for the monthly magazine Successful Farming.  Edwin T. Meredith was the owner of the publishing house.  Meredith took over publishing from his dad, who ran a newspaper called Farmer's Tribune and he stayed with the subject of farming/gardening throughout his career.  He served as United States Secretary of Agriculture under the Wilson administration before returning to the publishing trade.  One of the last magazines he created was Better Homes and Gardens.

Bio of Edwin Meredith: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_T._Meredith 

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 31, 2018, 02:32:47 PM

This is the publishing house for the monthly magazine Successful Farming.  Edwin T. Meredith was the owner of the publishing house.  Meredith took over publishing from his dad, who ran a newspaper called Farmer's Tribune and he stayed with the subject of farming/gardening throughout his career.  He served as United States Secretary of Agriculture under the Wilson administration before returning to the publishing trade.  One of the last magazines he created was Better Homes and Gardens.

Bio of Edwin Meredith: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_T._Meredith
Also, poor Edwin was not able to crack the 'top ten' in 'most influential people in remodeling' per Professional Remodeler  magazine.

Rix Gins

Here is a view of The, ooops, pardon me, Ye Old Time Mill located in New London Connecticut.  The mill is still there and tourists can still look the place over.

I found another card online similer to mine.  The pic was taken from the same camera angle but I like mine better because it has water flowing over the water wheel.

By Tichnor Brothers, Publisher [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Rix Gins

We should all converge on the Schraders and eat at this cool looking place called the Hotel East Bay in Grand Marais, Minnesota.
Oh wait, they are out of town.  Dave mentioned that he would be appearing at a convention in Iowa.  Oh well, we'll take a raincheck...or perhaps not.  I couldn't find any info on the Hotel East Bay.  Lots of inns, resorts and lodges, but no Hotel East Bay.  Too bad, it would have been a cool place to eat.

Rix Gins

I took part in Lightfoot's weekly postcard auction yesterday.  As usual I won some bids and lost some.  I didn't bother to bid on the one shown below because I knew it would be a hot item.  The winning bid was thirty plus dollars so as it turns out I could have bid on it after all, but then I wouldn't have been able to afford the other postcards that I did win, so it was a trade off.  It is a pretty cool postcard, all in all.

Rix Gins

Another old postcard, this one from 1910.

Rix Gins

Yes, of course, even politicians utilized postcards.  In this particular case, Alabama Governor George Wallace was making a run for the presidency.  Date wise I'm not a hundred percent sure what year this is because George ran for president on four separate occasions, from 1964 to 1976.  But looking online at his campaign pictures, etc. I would lean to 1968 or possibly even 1972.  I did locate another postcard like this one but there was no date on it.

Rix Gins

I don't cover very many Colorado restaurants here in the postcard thread, but here is one.  Those bowls of food look awful tasty there on Johnson's Smorgasbord's counter.  Authentic Scandinavian food and just our luck, served from June to September only.  But wait, I can't locate a menu, and worse, I can't locate the restaurant.  Too bad, I was looking forward to those cocktails in the Old Gold Coin Saloon.

Rix Gins

Not in our collection.  An old postcard showing a lady sitting in a chair and joined by her sister who had died a couple months previous.  Haha, I know, the woman on the right moved while the film was being exposed, but still, she inadventantly added a nice ghostly effect to the picture.   

GravitySucks

Rix,

Are you familiar with “postcrossing”?

https://www.postcrossing.com

Rix Gins

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 10, 2018, 08:30:40 AM
Rix,

Are you familiar with “postcrossing”?

https://www.postcrossing.com

No, I haven't heard about it but it is interesting.  I just might join up, especially if I wind up with the same postcard twice.  I have almost acquired the same restaurant postcard twice because those linen covered dining room tables can look pretty much the same.  So far my brain's memory banks have managed to remember the ones that I have acquired thus far but it gets harder the more postcards that I get.

Rix Gins

Some lost bids from Sunday's postcard auction.

Rix Gins

A long ago soldier sitting atop a garden wall.  Obviously circa WWI judging by his uniform.  Was he home on leave or better yet, home sometime after November 11, 1918?  This is a real photo that has been turned into a postcard.  In fact, it's nice and glossy, just like a picture in a photograph album.  It was never sent through the mail.  There is a nice design where the postage stamp would have been placed.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Renegade Smurf on June 12, 2018, 02:20:25 PM
The real chupacabra. Goat sucker in Spanish.  Postcard of  cuban Peasant boy nursing à goat instead of his mothers milk.

You just searching for a way to sneak in pedo shit?

Scumbag

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 08, 2018, 03:50:38 PM

I don't cover very many Colorado restaurants here in the postcard thread, but here is one.  Those bowls of food look awful tasty there on Johnson's Smorgasbord's counter.  Authentic Scandinavian food and just our luck, served from June to September only.  But wait, I can't locate a menu, and worse, I can't locate the restaurant.  Too bad, I was looking forward to those cocktails in the Old Gold Coin Saloon.

Nice one, Rix!  120 Main St. -- you can see the Old Gold Coin next door in this old postcard.  The Coin is still there, but the restaurant is now Millie's.

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 12, 2018, 02:38:32 PM
You just searching for a way to sneak in pedo shit?

Scumbag
Maybe you should cover your eyes.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Renegade Smurf on June 12, 2018, 03:03:55 PM
Maybe you should cover your eyes.

Fuck off pervert. There aren’t many rules. Try following them.

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 12, 2018, 03:04:53 PM
Hey asshole, you ignorant sack of shit. It's a postcard from Cuba in the early 1900s. It depicts rural life in Cuba. It is a warm climate and children didn't wear clothes at that age. They still don't. It was common for them to drink goat milk like that. It's on google images. It is not in violation of the rules. If the site owner has a problem with it, he can delete it.

If you find it perverted or erotic, you have a mental problem. You're a pedophile or a repressed pedophile. Get psychiatric help now.

If you're joking or trolling me, good job. You have further lowered my opinion of the intelligence of the average person with internet access. You win. Fuck yourself and die. You ruined bellgab for me.

chefist

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 12, 2018, 03:04:53 PM

Quote from: Renegade Smurf on June 12, 2018, 03:41:23 PM
Hey asshole, you ignorant sack of shit. It's a postcard from Cuba in the early 1900s. It depicts rural life in Cuba. It is a warm climate and children didn't wear clothes at that age. They still don't. It was common for them to drink goat milk like that. It's on google images. It is not in violation of the rules. If the site owner has a problem with it, he can delete it.

If you find it perverted or erotic, you have a mental problem. You're a pedophile or a repressed pedophile. Get psychiatric help now.

If you're joking or trolling me, good job. You have further lowered my opinion of the intelligence of the average person with internet access. You win. Fuck yourself and die. You ruined bellgab for me.

Hallmark would be proud.