• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

radioguy81

Long time lurker, finally decided to make an account since no one else seems to have found these old articles. 

Found these on Newspapers.com, although I don't have an account I could still read the text of a couple articles from April 1979, apparently the video "dating" arrest made it to UPI news.  Seems that the swinger portion of Marsha's story is definitely true.

No private affair: About 160 prominent southern Californians are feeling the heat, and it's not because the sun is always shining. A San Diego dating service that videotapes its customers discussing their sexual fantasies has been raided by police, who took the titillating tapes into custody. If it's any consolation to the people involved, who the service's owners said were "freaking out" over the news, the cops forgot to seize the customers' names and addresses. However Art Bell and Marsha Boyd, owners of Video Encounters and self-proclaimed "swingers," said authorities wouldn't have much trouble tracing down the red-faced swappers. "There were a lot of prominent people in this town who came to Us some very highly placed people ,"Bell said. Among them, he said, were police officials, teachers, civil servants and company presidents. Bell and Ms. Boyd were charged with felony pandering, soliciting acts of prostitution, soliciting a lewd act and operating a lewd house. As soon as they were released on bail Bell stashed their clients' address files away from the peering eyes of police with the wistful explanation, "I promised them complete privacy."

LA MESA, Calif. (UPI) Videotapes with the mate swapping sexual fantasies of nearly 160 southern Californians are in the hands of authorities today, but police who raided a dating service forgot to seize the customers' names and addresses. That, however, is cold comfort to the "swingers" â€" law enforcement officers, school teachers, civil servants and company presidents â€" all of whom are recorded on the videotapes. Art Bell and Marsha Boyd, owners of Video Encounters, say their customers are "freaking out" at the news. Bell and Ms. Boyd, who describe themselves as swingers â€" participants in mate swapping and group sex â€" were arrested Friday on sex- related charges after a vice officer and a 23-year-old female "operative" visited their office and asked to be included in the mate-swapping program, called the "S-Group." During the 10-15 minute taped interviews, "S-Group" members discuss their sexual fantasies and sexual likes and dislikes, the owners said. Two of the couples appeared topless in their interviews but there was no sexual contact and the meetings did not take place in their office, they said. Bell said although San Diego County sheriff's deputies and La Mesa Police confiscated about $4,500 worth of taping equipment in the raid, the officers forgot the files necessary to match the interviews with names and addresses. "But it wouldn't do them any good to kick in my door tomorrow morning," he said.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 20, 2018, 11:14:37 PM
His autograph:

His writing in the letter actually looks kind of messy from the video, is there close-up or scan of the letter to Marsha? I've studied graphology and his writing holds a C-slant, very tight middle zone, strong lower zone.

Autographs do not tell us much because they represent the public persona, so its not as useful as a letter or even a true handwritten list.
I don't know the "Art" signature looks pretty damned close to me.
Here is a pic of the letter from another article with more pictures from the interview.
http://www.worldpronews.com/78905/7955/290/dc2f6be3db45c272b4c262f009e3b77fff4f7f22

AZZERAE

I don't care a fuck that Art was a piece of shit. So am I. He was a brilliant broadcaster, and that's all that matters to me. He admitted the things that Mr. Pontius said he did, on air - not directly - but always alluded to guilt he had about people he abandoned in his life. He also, on many occasions mentioned his love for women. I must be a sociopath too, because I know all the stuff Art did was awful, and wrong, but I guess I do really bad shit too and its water off a ducks back.

Sean92008

Quote from: Freyja on May 20, 2018, 05:49:31 PM
More likely she didn't want Art to take legal action against her.

Why on earth would you think she would expect to be in Art's will? He apparently didn't even include the children he spawned and ignored...why a sex toy whom he used?
My first inclination is thinking like that but, I think that's one of those places that he wouldn't want to go publicly. Especially with young kids, in spite of his inability to properly care for his children. If he went through a trial a slander or libel, wife and the kids would be off and his fortunes would be gone.. being that he is all about Art, I don't think that was the main concern. 

Now, possibly Marsha didn't want to bring shit up because of his kids, that's happened a few times with people...

Thing is, when it's the truth it is not slander or libel.  If she discloses 90% of what's in that interview, then she's got newspaper articles to back her up.

It could also be, that now Art is big again... She just wanted to ride the coattails of the dead.

Metron2267

Quote from: Azzerae on May 21, 2018, 08:36:38 AM
I don't care a fuck that Art was a piece of shit. So am I. He was a brilliant broadcaster, and that's all that matters to me. He admitted the things that Mr. Pontius said he did, on air - not directly - but always alluded to guilt he had about people he abandoned in his life. He also, on many occasions mentioned his love for women. I must be a sociopath too, because I know all the stuff Art did was awful, and wrong, but I guess I do really bad shit too and its water off a ducks back.

Rare candor there, how can we ever enjoy "entertainers" if we pull their private lives apart and analyze them. It just kills the wall of separation between their "art" and their difficult bits.

And man did Art have his difficult bits.

Tip of the cap to Liberace for a respectful and compassionate interview coupled with some valuable evolved parenting dialog.

Mega-props to Vincent for turning down a run at the estate because Airyn and the kids need it more. A very classy man who's been through life's spin cycles a few too many times.

out

im not losing any sleep over what Art has done. however, his legacy is tainted by his serial abandoning and the other odd situations that he himself made public. personally, i don't think Art had a conscience. he also seemed to think his bullshit would fly. tbh, he thought we were all rubes.

i can separate the man from the broadcaster. he was a legend--no doubt about it. too bad he was such a peice of flamming shit with tits. god how i miss those tits.

Quote from: Shithead on May 21, 2018, 09:40:06 AM
R.I.P. :-\

Accurate. Anyone who comes out only after someone has died is low brow. It is really easy to attack someone when they are dead and can't defend themselves. 

Vincent is not in the category, actually the opposite. If anyone has the right to be upset it is him, and he isn't. Vincent is actually pretty calm about everything, he seems like an OK dude who had some tough circumstances thrown at him. I hope he does do some movie reviews with Dave Schrader on MITD.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on May 21, 2018, 09:53:53 AM
Accurate. Anyone who comes out only after someone has died is low brow. It is really easy to attack someone when they are dead and can't defend themselves. 

Vincent is not in the category, actually the opposite. If anyone has the right to be upset it is him, and he isn't. Vincent is actually pretty calm about everything, he seems like an OK dude who had some tough circumstances thrown at him. I hope he does do some movie reviews with Dave Schrader on MITD.

i attacked him when he was alive. i have no remorse.

Vincent said Art had another son named Paul?

Metron2267

Let's hand out major props to MV for his generous offers to get Vincent into podcasting.

That was class all the way.

Shithead

Vincent has every right to speak out. I wish him well. Some sort of guest spot or pod cast would be great.

It's almost always a bad idea to get to know your favorite celebrity. After reading the shit storm on the Midnight in the Desert thread it's sad to think that people will never listen to old Art Bell shows the same way. Maybe rightfully so. Don't know.

I'll still listen to the old shows knowing we all are flawed human beings. Some have bigger flaws than others. I guess some have much bigger flaws than others.

Yes, Art was attacked here when he was alive. No surprise it continues. It is what it is.  Sorry to see the broadcasting legacy take a hit. You know it has. Sorry to see that happen.

Jackstar

QuoteAnyone who comes out only after someone has died is low brow.

bullshit

teknoslag

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 21, 2018, 09:18:51 AM
Rare candor there, how can we ever enjoy "entertainers" if we pull their private lives apart and analyze them. It just kills the wall of separation between their "art" and their difficult bits.

And man did Art have his difficult bits.

Tip of the cap to Liberace for a respectful and compassionate interview coupled with some valuable evolved parenting dialog.

Mega-props to Vincent for turning down a run at the estate because Airyn and the kids need it more. A very classy man who's been through life's spin cycles a few too many times.

out

It depends on what it is about their private lives that's being pulled apart and analyzed.

If you're talking about someone like a children's author who turned out to be a child-molesting pedophile, it's quite difficult to separate their art from their private life, as they're obviously interconnected. If you're referring to, say, a musician who suffered from drug addiction, it's a bit easier to do.

I think a lot of the problem people have is that, with everything that's been made public about Art and his private life, we've begun to see what a massive fraud he was in certain aspects. He wasn't what he presented himself to be in many regards by any stretch of the imagination. For some, that raises questions about being able to trust him in any other aspect of himself that he presented. Whether it's an accurate concern or not, it's still a legitimate one.

At the end of the day, though, the fact remains that he was still a great entertainer, whether you believed what came out of the mouths of him and his guests or not. That was sort of the appeal to begin with.

GravitySucks

Now you know why Art Bell never went to any paranormal conferences. Ramona would not allow him to travel alone.

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 21, 2018, 12:35:28 PM
Now you know why Art Bell never went to any paranormal conferences. Ramona would not allow him to travel alone.

why was Whitley's wife so fond of Art? it really makes you think.

It’s not good to speak ill of the dead, or so the saying goes. Though; the more of Art’s personal life that comes out, the more one begins to wonder who he really was. Hero worship is a funny thing. For those who elevate “celebrities” to godlike status, it can be quite devastating to find out they have feet of clay. In the end, we’re all human, and fallible. Seems some more than others.

Asuka Langley

Quote from: god of thunder on May 21, 2018, 01:28:19 PM
It’s not good to speak ill of the dead, or so the saying goes. Though; the more of Art’s personal life that comes out, the more one begins to wonder who he really was. Hero worship is a funny thing. For those who elevate “celebrities” to godlike status, it can be quite devastating to find out they have feet of clay. In the end, we’re all human, and fallible. Seems some more than others.

Art slug his baby batter from here to Asia (mostly Asia).

Art sexualizing Asian girls got to the point where eve i have a problem with it and it shouldn't be that way.

Quote from: Kizuna Ai on May 21, 2018, 01:40:29 PM

Art slug his baby batter from here to Asia (mostly Asia).

Art sexualizing Asian girls got to the point where eve i have a problem with it and it shouldn't be that way.

the thought of Art busting a nutt is straight up ghoulish.

PaulK

Art Bell was attacked accused confronted when he was alive as well.
This is not new. Some of the disgusting and very disturbing facts are new now.
I'm sure more will be revealed in due time.
Art Bell is not untouchable. He was a bully, but he got confronted and put in his proper place. In the garbage can. 

PaulK

Quote from: teknoslag on May 21, 2018, 12:27:56 PM
It depends on what it is about their private lives that's being pulled apart and analyzed.

If you're talking about someone like a children's author who turned out to be a child-molesting pedophile, it's quite difficult to separate their art from their private life, as they're obviously interconnected. If you're referring to, say, a musician who suffered from drug addiction, it's a bit easier to do.

I think a lot of the problem people have is that, with everything that's been made public about Art and his private life, we've begun to see what a massive fraud he was in certain aspects. He wasn't what he presented himself to be in many regards by any stretch of the imagination. For some, that raises questions about being able to trust him in any other aspect of himself that he presented. Whether it's an accurate concern or not, it's still a legitimate one.

At the end of the day, though, the fact remains that he was still a great entertainer, whether you believed what came out of the mouths of him and his guests or not. That was sort of the appeal to begin with.

EXACTLY
Very well put.

Quote from: PaulK on May 21, 2018, 03:36:53 PM
Art Bell was attacked accused confronted when he was alive as well.
This is not new. Some of the disgusting and very disturbing facts are new now.
I'm sure more will be revealed in due time.
Art Bell is not untouchable. He was a bully, but he got confronted and put in his proper place. In the garbage can.

Art sure acted like a crybully on here. he honestly thought we were rubes. lol, fuck him.

Metron2267

Quote from: teknoslag on May 21, 2018, 12:27:56 PM

Great example, it's hard to think of many rockers who've suffered at the hands of their alleged lifestyle choices, even Rick James.

QuoteI think a lot of the problem people have is that, with everything that's been made public about Art and his private life, we've begun to see what a massive fraud he was in certain aspects. He wasn't what he presented himself to be in many regards by any stretch of the imagination. For some, that raises questions about being able to trust him in any other aspect of himself that he presented. Whether it's an accurate concern or not, it's still a legitimate one.

All the quittenings, the stalker, then the lie about Heather having just moved in - yes, fair point.

QuoteAt the end of the day, though, the fact remains that he was still a great entertainer, whether you believed what came out of the mouths of him and his guests or not. That was sort of the appeal to begin with.

He provoked thought and imagination, layered with the plausible and the utterly ludicrous, but the nuance was in separating which portion was active and where was he leading the program at any given time. That delicious bit of uncertainty made the magic happen.

Hells Mole

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 21, 2018, 12:59:02 PM
why was Whitley's wife so fond of Art? it really makes you think.

For those of the type Art is looking to have been, and I've known some of those types myself, they are so sex-obsessed that it comes into every aspect of their lives with respect that nearly everyone they are close to is part of it.  They also tend to weed out their personal lives of anyone they cannot be sexual with.  Therefore it would not surprise me to find he was swinging with the Whitleys for all the time they spent at the compound.

Metron2267

Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 21, 2018, 03:41:18 PM
Art sure acted like a crybully on here. he honestly thought we were rubes. lol, fuck him.

Hey Richard...um...he's DEAD  now man...you know on the other side...

Let it go.

Or get after his Spiricom line and have plenty of candles lit. ;)

Metron2267

Quote from: PaulK on May 21, 2018, 03:36:53 PM

So you figger those 24/7 Art Bell streams will just dry up straight away?

Think Coast will seal the classic Art vault?

Think Belgabbers will move on to some other target after Heather is gone and we hear the last of the tell-all interviews?

::)

Quote from: Metron2267 on May 21, 2018, 03:54:54 PM
Hey Richard...um...he's DEAD  now man...you know on the other side...

Let it go.

Or get after his Spiricom line and have plenty of candles lit. ;)

let what go? im not mad, im having a great time. thanks for chiming in tho.

ericdxx

Quote from: Shithead on May 21, 2018, 09:40:06 AM
R.I.P. :-\
Quote from: Richard Groyper on May 21, 2018, 09:56:14 AM
i attacked him when he was alive. i have no remorse.

I've been a member of this site for almost 10 years. And here comes people who's been here for a week, a month or two years and insinuate that I can't speak my mind because he's dead!?

Quote from: ericdxx on May 21, 2018, 04:04:27 PM
I've been a member of this site for almost 10 years. And here comes people who's been here for a week, a month or two years and insinuate that I can't speak my mind because he's dead!?

lol, what? i don't care what you post.

GravitySucks

Quote from: ericdxx on May 21, 2018, 04:04:27 PM

Lying POS. It’s been less than 8 and a total of 20 posts. Go suck an egg.