• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Windows 10

Started by Juan, July 29, 2015, 04:22:44 PM

Lilith

I like Windows 10 so much, I'm tempted to get a Windows 10 phone lol's  Never would'a thunked  I would hear myself say THAT!

wr250

get rid of the stupid start menu tiles
right click on each one and select "unpin"
once all are unpinned then resize the start menu (just like any other window)

Still validating Windows 10 for my PC.
That's what the message says. I guess its time to get a new one.

:(

inuk2600

I upgraded two laptops, A Dell 7737 and and an HP Envy 17.
The 7737 upgrade process went smoothly but had severe performance problems after the upgrade. The 17 got the following error...
Quote from: wr250 on July 30, 2015, 09:10:36 PM
windohs error messages :

sumtheens happeneen
http://www.techworm.net/2015/07/windows-10-something-happened-error-message-and-how-to-fix-it.html
I didn't know about the fix so I re-installed win 8.1 from factory image (which took an ungodly amount of time) then upgraded to Win 10.
I wanted a clean install on both PCs so I used Belarc Advisor to retrieve the Windows 10 Product Key http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and got the Windows 10 download tool to make a bootable USB drive https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.
There were some more road blocks that prevented a smooth and complete install, like needing to blank the hard drive with DBAN on the 17 first, and missing drivers on both which needed to be manually hunted down using vendor and device ID strings.
So I would rate the upgrade experience as a nightmare, but now that the clean install is completed and I've had a few days to dick around, I like it better than Windows 8.1.

136 or 142

It seems a lot of people, including myself are finding that Windows 10 slows their computer down, especially at start up (actually both start up and shut down)

This is supposed to be a fix:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-slow-boot-issues-after-free-upgrade-1513700

WOTR

Quote from: wr250 on July 30, 2015, 07:02:08 AM

in addition if you encrypt your hard drive(s) with bitlocker, the bitlocker key is uploaded to your (new) onedrive account.thus microsoft has access to that key, which would essentially make it worthless...
I'm sorry... WTF?  Really- they think that it is alright for them to seize the key to any privacy that I may wish to maintain?  I keep threatening to load another OS, and this may finally be the push that I need (either way, I will not be bothering with 10...)

orangecat

Here is my 2 cents, there is a major inherent wifi problem for many, it can be fixed manually, the biggest thing is your privacy, they may have exceeded Apple with this shit, Windows 10 has a thing called wifi sense, look it up and shut it off, here is an excerpt from Microsofts Windows 10 agreement:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services â€" however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

There is also a part where Microsoft reads your email and serves up tailored ads to you when on the internet, all this is setup by default, it gets worse, currently Im reseting my privacy settings to shut all of this shit off, this is getting stupid. between my Apple and Microsoft computers, Im being driven to Linux.
Maybe I do want to do something illegal, then again maybe I don't.

Windows 10 might not be what you think it is.
After spending many hours on windows 10, Im most likely going to revert back to windows 7 on this one laptop, if you are running win 8.1 and you don't like it, your possibly going to like it a-lot more than 10.
Windows 10 is not called a operating system anymore, its called a service, what is puzzling is what Microsoft calls free, between them and Apple there is nothing free, it is not yet proven if 10 is free for the product cycle or free to use for one year, then after one year you pay a licensing fee, Microsoft claims it is free for the product cycle, in other parts Microsoft claims its free to use for one year, this is mixed in with the "you have one year to upgrade for free", try to figure it out.
Windows 10 is missing many things such as a DVD player, ok maybe you dont watch dvd's anymore on a computer, but if you want to play your DVD's you have to purchase the DVD player from their app store for $15.00, the problem here is, MS wanted $9.95 per year for a licensing fee a few days ago for the DVD player, you can see a pattern forming here, the free time waster games MS used bundle with previous OS's are now free to download from their app store, the problem is they aren't fully functional unless you buy components through their convenient in-app purchases.
Win 10 is a huge in your face advertising platform, if you love intrusive advertising plastered in your face, then windows 10 is for you.
Windows 10 also has the the equivalent of zero privacy, 10 has a huge increase of incoming and outgoing data compared to win 8.1, 8 and 7, I haven't gone that far yet to see what services are using the data.

Jackstar

Quote from: orangecat on August 09, 2015, 09:52:27 PM

nine eleven OH seven

albrecht

Quote from: aldousburbank on August 09, 2015, 10:06:32 PM
AOL WTF?
it is, after all the government. Maybe black-budget, maybe off-the-books accounting, but still government bureaucrats. Maybe(?) our saving grace. Or maybe, our death star, and why much of this stuff is being outsource to private, even foreign, companies?

you can add a couple more clocks to the taskbar time. handy for the central, eastern, western confused.  8)

stargazr1976

Hate win 8 hate win 10. Ill stick with seven for a while. Hell I revert to 3.11 and resurrect the bbs, 8)

stargazr1976

and of course my great typing ability after being up almost forty eight hours.

sbaustin

One thing to note, if you have a VPN program on your non windows 10 machine, the upgrade may break your entire connectivity.  It happened to me as I have a few vpn's to connect to my servers and some clients' networks.  I had to downgrade back to 8.1, remove the vpn's and re-upgrade.  Fortunately the downgrade process is very fast.

Besides that, it is on par with windows 8.1 as far as speed/reliability/etc.  I haven't had any other issues (sp3 and a home built desktop).

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: NW Kro͞oˈsādər on August 06, 2015, 04:18:21 PM
Still validating Windows 10 for my PC.
That's what the message says. I guess its time to get a new one.

:(

Just run the upgrade utility and force the process to start.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: inuk2600 on August 06, 2015, 06:45:55 PM
I wanted a clean install on both PCs so I used Belarc Advisor to retrieve the Windows 10 Product Key http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html and got the Windows 10 download tool to make a bootable USB drive https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

That's exactly the way to do it. Magic Jellybean Keyfinder also works fine.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: WOTR on August 09, 2015, 04:15:47 AM
I'm sorry... WTF?  Really- they think that it is alright for them to seize the key to any privacy that I may wish to maintain?  I keep threatening to load another OS, and this may finally be the push that I need (either way, I will not be bothering with 10...)

I would never have trusted an encryption scheme devised by Microsoft anyway. The company is too closely tied to the government. You should instead use Truecrypt or one of its forks.

Hank

As far as the media player and DVD capability, there are plenty of open source goodies to use. I'd load VLC and keep the $15 anyhow.

Hank

I should have also noted, I have 3 machines running Windows 10, and no trouble whatsoever. Two are set to broadcast on shoutcast streams. One does all the time. No trouble at all. My invoicing software runs fine. It's copyright is listed as 2004. Haha

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Hank on August 15, 2015, 07:14:26 PM
As far as the media player and DVD capability, there are plenty of open source goodies to use. I'd load VLC and keep the $15 anyhow.

yeah, the dvd thing is a non issue.  it's completely overcome by installing vlc or any application capable of dvd playback.  i agree with microsoft's decision in this regard.  it was silly for them to continue paying those licensing fees.

Quote from: Hank on August 15, 2015, 07:16:25 PM
I should have also noted, I have 3 machines running Windows 10, and no trouble whatsoever. Two are set to broadcast on shoutcast streams. One does all the time. No trouble at all. My invoicing software runs fine. It's copyright is listed as 2004. Haha

what's your shoutcast stream?

Sehnzeleid

Updated my back-up i3 to 10 a few weeks back, the only real issue I encountered is the "Post Win10 Installation" of Spybot - Search & Destroy damn near bricked the OS. After it installed the solid gray install screen wouldn't exit back to the desktop, even after rebooting the PC several times (log-in, suddenly all gray screen again?!). Thankfully the keyboard still worked so I pulled up msconfig and successfully booted into Safe Mode. Uninstalled Spybot completely and Windows booted as usual. Scared and PO'ed for a few minutes there for sure.

That and like Windows 8/8.1, I had to fiddle a lot with cryptic options in the Sound menu to get my little 2.1 speaker system to work in 10. Looks like a common issue for many judging by all the search results online.             

Also somehow the DVD-ROM got locked into Region 2 (have many European DVDs), so the Win10 DVD Player doesn't play any US discs. VLC does though!

Juan

I have a friend who upgraded to Win 10.  He used it a few weeks without problem, then something happened to, in his words, mess up the color on his monitor.  He has tried to learn how to restore default color, but has been to multiple websites with instructions, none of which work for him.  He is furious.

Lilith

Quote from: Juan on September 23, 2015, 06:11:53 PM
I have a friend who upgraded to Win 10.  He used it a few weeks without problem, then something happened to, in his words, mess up the color on his monitor.  He has tried to learn how to restore default color, but has been to multiple websites with instructions, none of which work for him.  He is furious.

In settings, choose personalization. In personalization, choose themes, in themes, choose theme settings, in theme settings choose windows, and that will be the default windows 10 colors. 

If you want to choose your own colors and background, in settings choose personalization then background, to select your own background. To choose your own colors, in personalization, choose colors.

Quote from: Juan on July 31, 2015, 08:36:02 AM
This article says Windows 10 spies on almost everything you do and reports it to Microsoft, but there are ways to opt out
http://news.yahoo.com/windows-10-spying-almost-everything-opt-130502898.html

Unix is looking better and better.  If I could only figure out how to run Cakewalk Sonar in WINE.
Instead of wine, try playonlinux. It uses wine as a base, but has more libs /DLLs that can be added for compatibility. It even allows you to add your own DLLs if you can scrape up a list of all the needed dependencies.

Has anyone tried dual-booting 7 / 8 & 10 ? If you have the partition space and you section off enough, during the upgrade Windoze used to let you pick the partition to install on. I'd be curious to know if anyone has tried this. That way if it borks the proprietary software people were worried about losing (in 10) you would still have your 7 / 8 partition to fall back on.
NOTE: If you've never dual-booted, I wouldn't recommend trying it with data you can ill afford to lose. [Back-up first]

Quote from: brig on July 31, 2015, 08:44:05 AM
The one that collects all your information and saves it in a monster computer on Pluto lol's

LMAO      ;)

Quote from: Dyna-X on August 02, 2015, 09:04:53 AM
Wouldn't touch Windows 10 with a ten foot pole. I've barely got comfortable with 7, as its not heaven.  Seriously, I am increasingly disliking the way Microsoft thinks, they are turning our software more and more towards the direction of being a subscription or 'rentware'. And thats not even addressing the exploit issues or the fery foreign look and feel which I will spend days getting under control if I were to get it.  There is hope though, its called ReactOS - a true open-source Windows binary clone being developed.
How do you like React ? It was one of the first distro's I tried when I switched away from Doze. At the time, (2008-9 ish) it still needed work. It had just recently come out.

Quote from: orangecat on August 09, 2015, 09:52:27 PM
Here is my 2 cents, there is a major inherent wifi problem for many, it can be fixed manually, the biggest thing is your privacy, they may have exceeded Apple with this shit, Windows 10 has a thing called wifi sense, look it up and shut it off, here is an excerpt from Microsofts Windows 10 agreement:

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to: 1.comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies; 2.protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone; 3.operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or 4.protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services â€" however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer’s private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

There is also a part where Microsoft reads your email and serves up tailored ads to you when on the internet, all this is setup by default, it gets worse, currently Im reseting my privacy settings to shut all of this shit off, this is getting stupid. between my Apple and Microsoft computers, Im being driven to Linux.
Maybe I do want to do something illegal, then again maybe I don't.

After spending many hours on windows 10, Im most likely going to revert back to windows 7 on this one laptop, if you are running win 8.1 and you don't like it, your possibly going to like it a-lot more than 10.
Windows 10 is not called a operating system anymore, its called a service, what is puzzling is what Microsoft calls free, between them and Apple there is nothing free, it is not yet proven if 10 is free for the product cycle or free to use for one year, then after one year you pay a licensing fee, Microsoft claims it is free for the product cycle, in other parts Microsoft claims its free to use for one year, this is mixed in with the "you have one year to upgrade for free", try to figure it out.
Windows 10 is missing many things such as a DVD player, ok maybe you dont watch dvd's anymore on a computer, but if you want to play your DVD's you have to purchase the DVD player from their app store for $15.00, the problem here is, MS wanted $9.95 per year for a licensing fee a few days ago for the DVD player, you can see a pattern forming here, the free time waster games MS used bundle with previous OS's are now free to download from their app store, the problem is they aren't fully functional unless you buy components through their convenient in-app purchases.
Win 10 is a huge in your face advertising platform, if you love intrusive advertising plastered in your face, then windows 10 is for you.
Windows 10 also has the the equivalent of zero privacy, 10 has a huge increase of incoming and outgoing data compared to win 8.1, 8 and 7, I haven't gone that far yet to see what services are using the data.

The really sad part about all this is you (everyone that bought a Doze computer or paid for their OS) are paying to have them spy on you. Not to mention the fact that anything on your box can be used against you in a court of law.