• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: Art Bell on April 05, 2015, 09:52:10 PM
It's just such a shame because I was so very excited about the show. I got myself so worked up about it all. That is life I guess, your all up, then the World crashes down on you.

I am sorry I got all of you so excited along with myself. We really thought we had hit the jackpot with this Small Webcaster catagory, It lets you pay 10 to 14% of the income to cover music which would have been just great but they are most likely going to eliminate that catagory at the end of the Year.

Our Possible Partner is prepared to pay the big bucks for music but it is so insane in terms of cost that it feels like a setup for failure, however talks continue and we shall see.

I want you all to know that the support you have shown means a great deal to me.

Art

We are all behind you art. I have a feeling someone will find a way, somehow. Negotiations are always difficult, first offical contracts are always rejected. Keith will do they heavy lifting. If you can't come to an agreement it sucks but that's life.
You can still call in to darkmatter shows to say hi, if you want. Or even guest host one of your friends radio shows. Many host still talk about you and would be honored if you filled in.

Or you could always just enjoy your retirement and take your wife on that trip you promised.

raistlin

While of course we all have fond memories of the music you played over the years, it always been you, the guests and the callers that kept us listening and still do to this day. 

All I can say is please don't throw this all away over music royalty fees, that would be horrific.  There's a TON of royalty-free music out there that would be great to hear as bumper music.  Keep in mind, when you don't have a huge company behind you sometimes you have to make sacrifices. 

If it comes down to it.....we'd rather you do the show with open source music than not do a show at all.

100% agreed with above, it doesn't have to be all or nothing.  If we want music there's FM radio, iTunes, Pandora, and so many others.  A show with no music but good content is so much better than nothing at all.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: raistlin on April 05, 2015, 11:04:37 PM

If it comes down to it.....we'd rather you do the show with open source music than not do a show at all.
Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on April 05, 2015, 11:09:27 PM
100% agreed with above, it doesn't have to be all or nothing.  If we want music there's FM radio, iTunes, Pandora, and so many others.  A show with no music but good content is so much better than nothing at all.

Art has addressed this several times over the past few months. He says he's 100% not interested in doing the show without his choice of music.

WOTR

I am sorry I got all of you so excited along with myself.
I appreciate the thought... But as I have said on a number of occasions- you don't owe any of us anything (alright... I believe that Jaz seems to feel that he is owed his own dedicated line to your home- but that is it.)  Quite frankly, we are all enjoying the ride.  With any luck we can arrive at the destination that you want.  If not, Winnipeg will be fine (a Canadian reference.)

We are excited, but overall your health and well-being (and that of your family) needs to come first.  Tell them that if the contract remains unsigned at the end of this week that you are taking a couple of weeks for the vacation your wife wanted (if memory serves...)  The contract and lawyers will be here when you return; and we will be here when you return.

Do what you want and what you need.  You have stated that you want your music on a number of occasions and I get the feeling that if you did it without that it would not feel like the show you wanted (no matter how great it was.)  Ignore all of the pleading and advice that is dumped on the board (with the possible exception of what I had typed above.  I am a wealth of good advice for every bodies life but my own...)  ;)

DanTSX

Quote from: wotr1 on April 05, 2015, 11:17:08 PM
I appreciate the thought... But as I have said on a number of occasions- you don't owe any of us anything (alright... I believe that Jaz seems to feel that he is owed his own dedicated line to your home- but that is it.)  Quite frankly, we are all enjoying the ride.  With any luck we can arrive at the destination that you want.  If not, Winnipeg will be fine (a Canadian reference.)

We are excited, but overall your health and well-being (and that of your family) needs to come first.  Tell them that if the contract remains unsigned at the end of this week that you are taking a couple of weeks for the vacation your wife wanted (if memory serves...)  The contract and lawyers will be here when you return; and we will be here when you return.

Do what you want and what you need.  You have stated that you want your music on a number of occasions and I get the feeling that if you did it without that it would not feel like the show you wanted (no matter how great it was.)  Ignore all of the pleading and advice that is dumped on the board (with the possible exception of what I had typed above.  I am a wealth of good advice for every bodies life but my own...)  ;)

Art should just open a 1-900 number line.

Jazz can call him all he wants.  $5.99 a minute.

I know he's addressed it, doesn't mean I agree.  But at the end of the day it's his show - so whatever happens, happens.

raistlin

Quote from: HorrorRetro on April 05, 2015, 11:14:28 PM
Art has addressed this several times over the past few months. He says he's 100% not interested in doing the show without his choice of music.

That's true, I just like to remind Art that for the most part it's really only him pushing for it as it would have no effect on most of us at all.  Which at the end of the day Art has always said as long as what he's doing is entertaining that's all the matters to him.  Well Art, you can be entertaining and not play 5 or 6 expensive songs per show. 

ks3484

Quote from: MV on April 05, 2015, 01:26:24 PM
i don't talk to keith about anything, and i have no plans to start.

Okay. Enough said.

ge30542

$ .02 here. No music okay with me too.

Quote from: Art Bell on April 01, 2015, 12:54:54 PM
I don't want to believe, I want to know, I want to prove, I want evidence.

Belief is for those willing to accept things without real evidence.

Art

I believe in Midnight in the Desert with Art Bell.  Damn the evidence.  Thank you, Art, in advance, for the great show I believe you will do.  Thank you, in retrospect, for all you have done for so many years to entertain, enlighten, inspire and scare the hell out of us!  Happy Easter.

zeebo

Quote from: Étouffée on April 05, 2015, 11:40:52 PM
I believe in Midnight in the Desert with Art Bell.  Damn the evidence.  Thank you, Art, in advance, for the great show I believe you will do....

Usually I'm a pure cynic, but this kind of good-natured optimism moves me closer to just pessimistically-leaning.

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: Art Bell on April 05, 2015, 08:52:34 PM
Well we (me and Keith) are in trouble here. I hate to bring possible bad news yet but here is the current situation:

Our possible partner has thrown a change into the Contract that for us is a deal killer, Keith) will explore with them Tomorrow. Can not talk about specifics yet.

So right now things do not look so good, but again there will be talks Tomorrow. I will keep you all informed. This has been so stressful that is is effecting my health so I am backing away and letting Keith talk with them, I have been living this every day, all day.

Art

With all due respect to your webmaster Art, perhaps a deal this important might find a solution in the hands of a lawyer or professional negotiator.  In addition, I think it's important to stress to the "possible partner" that your fans are already in place and many (most?) are willing to be good consumer$ if it buys us a quality show hosted by Art Bell.  They should know there is no substitute.  Surely they wouldn't want to miss out on such an opportunity.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on April 06, 2015, 12:11:46 AM
With all due respect to your webmaster Art, perhaps a deal this important might find a solution in the hands of a lawyer or professional negotiator.  In addition, I think it's important to stress to the "possible partner" that your fans are already in place and many (most?) are willing to be good consumer$ if it buys us a quality show hosted by Art Bell.  They should know there is no substitute.  Surely they wouldn't want to miss out on such an opportunity.

Give keith a chance. I am sure art is tired of paying attorneys. Maybe keith can negotiate directly. If he fails maybe then give the attorneys one last shot.

Gassy Man

Royalties for anything digital skyrocketed in the past few years.  For example, in print work that has a digital counterpart (e-book), royalties for photos and illustrations tripled.   I admire Art for sticking to his guns, but I caved and used more generic images and illustrations.  Even the argument that the resulting publicity can generate sales is lost on the companies that own the rights.  There is public domain stuff out there, but I don't think it would apply to the sort of music Art wants.

DesertFox

It's just such a shame because I was so very excited about the show. I got myself so worked up about it all. That is life I guess, your all up, then the World crashes down on you.

I am sorry I got all of you so excited along with myself. We really thought we had hit the jackpot with this Small Webcaster catagory, It lets you pay 10 to 14% of the income to cover music which would have been just great but they are most likely going to eliminate that catagory at the end of the Year.

Our Possible Partner is prepared to pay the big bucks for music but it is so insane in terms of cost that it feels like a setup for failure, however talks continue and we shall see.

I want you all to know that the support you have shown means a great deal to me.

Art

Art--please don't stress over this and please do not give up.  You have plenty of time to look for and focus on solutions for this.  We support your efforts in this.  And hey if this possible partner thinks it plausible for them to pay for the music--then why not!  Give it a try.  They are businessmen, they should know if it makes financial sense.  Regardless there are solutions out there with all of us so close.

Good luck...I know you can do it, Art.

Makes me sick to my stomach.  Fingers crossed. 

phrodo

I know Art wants his music... but I think it's illogical for him to be so stuck on playing music. We don't listen for his taste in music -- we listen for ART and his interviewing talent. THAT's what makes his show unique. Music can be heard damn near anywhere... but WHERE ELSE can you hear ART BELL's TALENT??

Hell ART - just use the thunderclaps and some generic production music for intros and bumpers and get on with the show!!!

Quote from: phrodo on April 06, 2015, 08:43:15 AM
I know Art wants his music... but I think it's illogical for him to be so stuck on playing music. We don't listen for his taste in music -- we listen for ART and his interviewing talent. THAT's what makes his show unique. Music can be heard damn near anywhere... but WHERE ELSE can you hear ART BELL's TALENT??

Hell ART - just use the thunderclaps and some generic production music for intros and bumpers and get on with the show!!!

Art has made it clear he is not doing the show without his music. End of story. Full stop. It is pretty clear that it is either going to happen or not happen within those parameters. He's earned that right, obviously, so let's just hope it all works out.

dan7800

Art, you will find a way.

Don't put too much pressure on yourself. I've always said that you should take it easy with this new show and do what you feel most comfortable doing. This means limiting the hours/shows per week etc.. or even anything with the music. Your health is the most important thing.

You got this & we got your back.

laserjock

Ok, Art:  It's YOUR show, YOUR business, YOUR life.  And yet, it's OUR dream too, quite honestly, we hang on your every word, we are that much of a fan, each of us.  Here's the thing:

For you, the magic of the show is enveloped in the bumper music, which is like beautiful book ends for a glorious library of fine collectible books.  However, as nice as antiques are, there is something to say for those who blaze a trail and do something new in a new way.  We all either adapt or we fade away, just like MacArthur described.  We don't want you to fade away, because you will always loom large in our eyes and hearts, and yet, intransigence about any given issue in a world that requires ALL of us to adapt and change in order to continue to live, would be a tragic mistake.

My Brother in Law made me a fan of your show, and he honestly never was too crazy about your choices in music.  I liked the music, but it's more my generation.  Sure, I'd hate hearing hip hop for a show, but the show must go on.  I'd like 3 more years with you, sir, and if you have to do it like you did with Dreamland with a single theme song, it would make little difference for me.  There are a few good programs in the media that don't depend on genre music.

You should do things your way, but remember, sir, the alternative to being stuck on any given thing: fading away is not your style.  You are a big bang person.  If you'd like, this site could do a poll to find out how many of us care about what bumper music you play, or if you play it at all, and I think you'd see that over 85% of us don't care, we just miss you and love you.  It's your time to shine.  Build it and they will come.  If the old way won't work, do it a new way, we all must adapt or accept unemployment.  I think if you asked everyone here if we've each had to do shit we hated in order to continue to work, you'd hear a resounding YES! from all of us.

I used to be a LASER technician and thought what I did was glamorous.  I've had to come to terms with doing different work of late, at least for now.  I didn't kick and scream, I just put my head down and kept going.  The tortus often wins the race.  You have a picture in your mind of how something should be, but if you let that picture cloud your judgement into preventing something great it will be tragic and it will leave you beaten, and you will never forgive yourself.  We all have an image of how we would do something, and we've all had to adapt, it's a fact of life.  To prevail we each adapt and continue.

Danger!UFO

Art's music is important to him. It's like and old, trusted friend. It provides a comfort zone. It's part of the show. It makes Art feel good!

If things don't work out and people start to complain they are only being selfish. Whatever happens thank Art and respect his decision.

Art has left us an incredible radio archive that we can enjoy for years to come. And maybe he'll hang out on BellGab for years to come, too.

b_dubb

As falls Bell ... So falls BellGab

I can't keep track of whether this is going to happen or not. It's like a ping pong match between hope and despair.

Blargh

Laurakinch

Quote from: Art Bell on April 05, 2015, 08:52:34 PM
Well we (me and Keith) are in trouble here. I hate to bring possible bad news yet but here is the current situation:

Our possible partner has thrown a change into the Contract that for us is a deal killer, Keith) will explore with them Tomorrow. Can not talk about specifics yet.

Plan B looks dead because the catagorys of "Small Webcaster" will most likely disappear at the end of the year, making doing it on our own out of reach.

So right now things do not look so good, but again there will be talks Tomorrow. I will keep you all informed. This has been so stressful that is is effecting my health so I am backing away and letting Keith talk with them, I have been living this every day, all day.

Art

Art, just curious: why is Keith handling the negotiations? No offense meant, but I doubt he has the expertise nor the interpersonal skills needed for such an undertaking. If you truly want to come back (and I believe you do), you will need to hire a professional to handle it. No wonder you are stressed out. Get the proper assistance and you won't have to bother with all of this back and forth. I'm sure you have friends in the biz who can help you find the right entertainment lawyer. Please do it. We are not willing to let go of the dream of your return just yet!

rzr1911

Maybe not the best idea - plan to spend $20k on equipment, but let a webmaster handle the talks with lawyers instead of hiring a decent one with media contract skills. Maybe Keith is a legal genius?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: b_dubb on April 06, 2015, 09:26:24 AM
As falls Bell ... So falls BellGab

this place was around long before there was any hope of art coming back in any capacity.  we will persevere.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Laurakinch on April 06, 2015, 09:33:09 AM
Art, just curious: why is Keith handling the negotiations? No offense meant, but I doubt he has the expertise nor the interpersonal skills needed for such an undertaking.

Ms. C

Quote from: laserjock on April 06, 2015, 09:11:20 AM

I've had to come to terms with doing different work of late, at least for now.  I didn't kick and scream, [but] I just put my head down and kept going.  The tortus often wins the race.

Edit:  The tortoise ALWAYS wins!!!!  Sigh, the story of my life also ... and patience (being an Aries, I am very limited with this trait) -- Art, I so relate to your frustrations with this whole process ... I'm in your corner, along with the rest of our family of Bellgabbers!  Whatever winds up happening, again, I'll repeat myself from other posts ... its been a great ride so far  and we all  'wanna' take a ride'  with you in the future! 

"The Tortoise and the Hare
Our world is fast, and getting faster. The internet is fast, our cars are fast, and our news is even fast. We are always in a hurry, and most of the time it is for good reason. It takes speed to keep up with competitors.

But, with all of this speed, I think we’ve forgotten that the hare never wins the race.

The tortoise ALWAYS wins.

We’ve attempted to replace ‘focus’ with ‘speed.’ The old story of the tortoise and the hare is a perfect example of this. The hare tried to win the race by going fast and doing it all at once. The tortoise, on the other hand, took the focused approach. He was focused on the goal, and steadily moved towards it.

The tortoise did it the hard way, and he won."

http://todaymade.com/blog/why-the-tortoise-always-wins-the-race/

DesertFox

Frankly Art says this business partner is willing to PAY for the music--if worse comes to worse I say let them do that and lets get the show started.

Art is dubious about that being feasible BUT this business partner thinks it will work so I say go for it!  The business partner would not offer unless they thought it would work.  If nothing else works--I say go for it and give it a shot!