• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

ArtBellFan

I agree with you WestBorder, if Art were going to post I think he would have by now.  That hamcam picture speaks volumes.

FortRock

We need to be patient on all of this. Art worked on a contract with Coast Management just like all other hosts. Art told us of his feelings about current Coast Management with that Hamcam, but not about the future! Art's contract did not run out until the end of 2010, but the beginning of the 2011 business year did not begin until today, 01/03/11. I remember when Art made his return after the Mike Siegal catastrophy, we were told nothing until the Thursday night before his Monday return. Expect a more abrupt situation here because of the fact Art is changing management structures. We need to be vigilant! Monitor a station which will be key to Art's return, KDWN-AM 720 in Las Vegas! Also here's another station which has serious Art Bell associations to it, monitor KTNN-AM 660 from Window Rock in Navajo Nation. This station was assisted in the late 1980's by Art acting as a volunteer advisor in obtaining it's FCC Broadcast Licence, Art still is a Volunteer Advisior to this 50KW clear channel quasi-noncommercial station. They are a former affiliate of the Midnight Trucker Radio Network, and currently sign off at 1:00AM Mountain Time. We need to be aware that the Midnight Trucker Radio Network, based out of Fort Worth, Texas station WBAP-AM 820 is in potiential financial problems owing to stock market issues. This is an Art Bell take-over target for a base. KEEP MONITORING all of this, including their websites.

FortRock

In fact the more I think of it, I would monitor KTNN-AM 660 heavily! Art wanted to add KTNN as a Coast Affiliate around 1997-1998, and in they're first public act of resistance to The Master, Clear Channel Radio prohibited it. Clear Channel bans all programs under they're sydication for quasi-noncommercial stations such as KTNN, even at 50KW. This has to do with advertiser pressure they claim! But those in the know, feel it has to do with anti-Native American racism on Clear Channel's part because of KTNN's ownership by Navajo Govenmental authorities!

ArtBellFan

QuoteArt told us of his feelings about current Coast Management with that Hamcam, but not about the future!

Flat Rock, not so sure that message was for Clear Channel, it was for Noory..it was definitely a stab at him, think he was saying that he ruined the show and obviously doesn't know what he is doing.

As much as I will miss Art and would like if he came back in another venue I don't think it will happen.

blackmath

Lets not count out Art going to satellite radio.  He seems to be the type to embrace new technology, and the idea of total creative control and no FCC breathing down his neck must be very tempting to him.  I hope he comes back in some format so we can all enjoy Art's incredible talent.  If he does decide to retire for good, I wish him all the best.  At least we have the old shows to enjoy in the meantime.

Chupacabra

well when we think of Art we think of him as the healthy artbell of the 1990s, 15 or 16 years has gone past quick! But there shouldnt be any reason why he cant do it, I mean its a sit down job, what will he do if he packs it in, sit down some more?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: minnehan on January 02, 2011, 10:00:24 PM
I am sure Art is fine.  If something was wrong, Art is the type to say something.  No, the comment George made was just to mislead us.
hmm... i'm not sure about your assessment here.  art strikes me as the kind of guy who, if terminally ill, would wait until he's at death's door to say anything publicly about it... IF he were to say anything in advance at all.  this is just observation on my part, though, and i could be totally wrong.

all of this aside, my instincts tell me that art is fine and this comes down to politics within premiere.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: EvZe on January 03, 2011, 03:21:39 AM
Based on this trending in the thread I'm led to believe this is all a big stunt MV coordinated with Art to get more traffic to Coast Gab.
HAHA!!  the sad thing is, there are people out there who would believe this.  i shit you not.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: anagrammy on January 03, 2011, 03:21:54 AM
Isn't it silly to talk about political infoblocking when the very show we all think is going to model transparency is playing games like "code in fourth section of December 21st.  It is patronizing and insulting to the Coast audience.  Worse yet, we are being offered the same kind of plausible-deniability comments like "he's winding down, folks, he's winding down."
holy shit... is this a great point or what?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ArtBellFan on January 03, 2011, 10:59:04 AM
I see they are still putting up Art's Classic show for the week.

Art's interview with Sir Charles Shults lll on Mars from 10-16-04

Scientist Sir Charles Shults III discussed water activity and fossils on Mars, and possible manipulation of Mars photos by NASA.

Shults believes Mars was once an ocean covered planet filled with (non-intelligent) life, and stated emphatically, "It is very clear there is life on Mars; there was life on Mars." As evidence, he cited his recent discovery of Sea Urchin and other ancient marine fossils, water erosion, and geyser activity on Mars. According to Shults, NASA and JPL employees have told him privately that his findings are correct.

http://www.shultslaboratories.com/

http://www.marsnews.com/articles/20...ses
.html

Here is the show if you want to listen to it.
i remember hearing this show live.  it was a superior broadcast.  sir charles is a great guest.

FortRock

I've been thinking all afternoon about that last Webcam photo of Art and family petting that seal in that Manila wildlife park. What does that seal represent in Art's mind? I finally realized that it symbolizes George Noory! George Noory is the trained seal barking and clapping for his food! Great image!! Art's coming back, I could hear it in Richard C. Hoagland's voice last night! By the way it's not Premire's politics, but their distributor's politics, Clear Channel!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: awguy on January 03, 2011, 12:03:29 PM
We will also never hear an official "Announcement" on Coast to Coast regarding this situation. As long as people THINK Art is still involved in the show, there is money to be made.
this is something i wish i'd been the first to say here.  damn it.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ArtBellFan on January 03, 2011, 04:18:47 PM

Flat Rock, not so sure that message was for Clear Channel, it was for Noory..it was definitely a stab at him, think he was saying that he ruined the show and obviously doesn't know what he is doing.

As much as I will miss Art and would like if he came back in another venue I don't think it will happen.
i'm not sure about this, artbellfan.  as far as i can recall, we've never heard anything from art directly suggesting he's dissatisfied with noory.  on the contrary, the only thing we've heard from art regarding noory's performance is that noory "gets it."

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: blackmath on January 03, 2011, 04:43:12 PM
Lets not count out Art going to satellite radio.  He seems to be the type to embrace new technology, and the idea of total creative control and no FCC breathing down his neck must be very tempting to him.
there is not as much creative freedom in satellite radio as one might assume.  just listen to the opie and anthony show, and you'll hear them incessantly complain about the things sirius won't allow them to do.  the list contains some ABSURD items.  in radio broadcasting, the FCC really is not the problem in terms of creative limitation.  it's corporate culture that's to blame.  all you need is one loudmouthed asshole threatening to boycott the advertisers on this show or that show, and a PC obsessed corporation will break very quickly (as will their cowardly corporate advertisers).  it's happened multiple times in recent years... even on the satellite end of things.

coastfan

Quote from: Fort Rock on January 03, 2011, 05:57:18 PM
I've been thinking all afternoon about that last Webcam photo of Art and family petting that seal in that Manila wildlife park. What does that seal represent in Art's mind? I finally realized that it symbolizes George Noory! George Noory is the trained seal barking and clapping for his food! Great image!! Art's coming back, I could hear it in Richard C. Hoagland's voice last night! By the way it's not Premire's politics, but their distributor's politics, Clear Channel!

Man, you're really up on your Crypto News, Rock. This and your other posts. You have some unique analyses.

FortRock

Art would NEVER go satellite, as I've said, Art is proud of the title "Broadcaster"! Also satellite is not egalitarian, in that you have to pay subscription fees. Art derided Howard Stern for the satellite radio decision.

Quote from: Fort Rock on January 03, 2011, 06:40:08 PM
Art derided Howard Stern for the satellite radio decision.
It's all fine and  dandy to be a crusader until somebody plops a 100 million dollar check in front of you. ;D

FortRock

TOUCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I'm a tad less stubborn that Art! BUT Asia has a college fund to pay for!

Hi I just registered to say I will really miss Art A LOT. This is sad and unfortunate. I just bought someone a Streamlink membership as a christmas gift and now the gift is less valuable. :-[  I would look forward to his Coast shows so much, and the thought of not hearing him EVER again is depressing. I hope he does go on another network. Whatever sort of radio network Art chooses, I will be happy to hear from him again. It is truly the end of an era. Does anyone know an email address for him so I can say good-bye, it would be nice even if he never reads it. Thanks

mib12890

Quote from: marklancedance on January 03, 2011, 07:08:24 PM
Hi I just registered to say I will really miss Art A LOT. This is sad and unfortunate. I just bought someone a Streamlink membership as a christmas gift and now the gift is less valuable. :-[  I would look forward to his Coast shows so much, and the thought of not hearing him EVER again is depressing. I hope he does go on another network. Whatever sort of radio network Art chooses, I will be happy to hear from him again. It is truly the end of an era. Does anyone know an email address for him so I can say good-bye, it would be nice even if he never reads it. Thanks
artbell@mindspring.com or artbell@aol.com. Just send it to both

Quote from: marklancedance on January 03, 2011, 07:08:24 PM

I believe that artbell@mindspring.com is still a good e-mail address for Art.

ArtBellFan

I always use artbell@aol.com, he still has it but I believe what he said was artbell@mindspring has a larger inbox.

Hey thanks for the speedy reply. I'll try both. Again Cheers

ArtBellFan

Thought I would put up Art's last show for those who would like to have it or didn't hear it.

Art Bell - G2G - 10-31-10

[attachment deleted by admin]

morphiaflow

I have been keeping an eye on this situation. I am the person who created and has been maintaining the "events of 2010" subsection in Art's Wikipedia entry.

I wrote an email to Lisa Lyon earlier today; to my surprise I received a substantial response. Both are copied below.

Yes, perhaps I was a little harsh (some would probably say not harsh enough...) but then I honestly didn't expect a reply, much less a timely one, as my other messages to them have been ignored.

Make of it what you will.

from   Matthew *******
to   lisa@coasttocoastam.com,
tom@coasttocoastam.com
date   Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 5:37 PM
subject   Lost Listener

Hello,

I have been a faithful Coast to Coast AM listener for nearly ten years and a frequent Streamlink subscriber since 2006. This message is to notify you that as a result of Art Bell's no longer being associated with Coast to Coast AM in any capacity except archival, combined with the general decline in quality and increasingly fringe-right/end-times agenda/mentality that seems to have gripped the show under George Noory, and capped with the virtually unlistenable predictions show, I will no longer be an active listener to Coast, with the exception of shows hosted by George Knapp.

Furthermore, unless the archives of episodes prior to 2006 (particularly and especially the years of Art-hosted shows) are opened and made available for download, I will never again subscribe to Streamlink so long as Noory is the primary host of the show. And I will do all that I can from this point forward to actively discourage anyone I know both from listening to Coast to Coast AM and from subscribing to Streamlink.

What was once a great, proud, groundbreaking and independent radio institution is now nothing more than a product hosted by a tool with an audience of fools. I sincerely hope that Mr. Bell finds a new and worthier forum--or finds a way to reclaim the one he founded. Its current occupant is unworthy of the throne.

I speak for myself in this message, but I am certain, and you can be too, that my letter represents the feelings of countless numbers of other lost listeners.

Thank you for your time,

Matthew *******

from   Lyon, Lisa <llyon@premiereradio.com>
to   Matthew ******
date   Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 6:29 PM
subject   RE: Lost Listener

Thanks for your thougtful reply Matthew. I'm sorry that your feelings for Coast to Coast AM are so hostile. Art Bell will always be associated with our show, and he is welcome back to the mic whenever he feels the need. As for the doom, Art himself had a much more heavy hand with the end of the world as we know it scenario that we have at the current time. As you recall Y2K was a huge theme on his shows at the time as was huge Earth changes, mass extinction and even contact. Coming up on our current horizon is the countdown to 2012. We would be remiss not to consider all the possible scenarios. There is even a movement among Christians right now that the end will happen this spring, and we had yet to go there, but have been aware of it. We had listeners mentioning during our predictions show this year.

There is not doubt that Art Bell has been an award winning broadcaster, but it is also true that George Noory is enormously popular. I'm sorry that you feel the need to denegrate this show simply because your favorite host has chosen to retire.

I wish you well.

Lisa Lyon, Producer

ArtBellFan

Thoughtful reply, give me a break Lisa, what did you expect her to say, she is covering her butt, if Coast goes she goes..she is the only leftover from the old crew in Medford, everyone else lost their jobs when Art quit at the end of 2002, she worked directly with Art for years and you would think she would have some nicer things to say about Art.  Just lip service in my opinion.  If you call 2-3 Million listeners compared to Art's 20 Million popular so be it, I guess.   There are local stations in cities across the country who have more listeners then Noory and he has a national show.

I am sure that Lisa and Tom are getting a lot of emails about Art and responding for damage control.

morphiaflow

I imagine they are. But other than the "listen on December 24th" message, I haven't seen anyone post them anywhere. This is as close as we have gotten yet to any sort of official, albeit private, statement that Art Bell has in fact "retired"--though of course with nothing said about the circumstances of or reasons for that retirement we can still only speculate as to WHY. Not just why he retired, but why he's being scrubbed from the site as well....

Silent

Interesting emails there.  There's a big difference to me between 2012 and the scenarios she listed as Arts topics or guest choices.  Y2K in particular was a known threat.  It was real.  The others maybe were speculation but nonetheless were based in science and probability.  Maybe shaky or pseudo science, or maybe extremely low probablity, but still it had grounds in reality somewhere.  2012 is based on nothing.  An ancient race decided to stop adding days to their calander....wow.  Somehow you jump from there to the end of the world.  I'm sure Art would've covered 2012 also but not a show per week and he wouldn't have believed a bit of it.  Y2K was known to be a threat and based on technology.  Real threats from technology is what CTC is about.

I'm sure you can find plenty of shows Art did with as much reality in them as these 2012 shows but he didnt obsess over them.

Wow, yet another possible Art Bell retirement? So how long might this one last (if true) before he wants to exercise the pipes again?

At least there are still archived shows to listen to.