• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151123 - Michio Kaku - Sciencey Stuff - Live Show Chat

Started by jazmunda, November 23, 2015, 05:30:09 PM

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 24, 2015, 12:02:46 AM
I would love to be able to record my dreams, because the memory of them almost always evaporates in a few seconds and that's frustrating as hell sometimes.
I thought it would be cool to write down my dreams, but the "Where the f*** did THAT come from?" factor made it pointless.

Ciardelo

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 24, 2015, 12:05:27 AM
*Sigh* not yet, but if they go into futurology he will.
So we have that to look forward to!

zeebo

I would love to be able to record my dreams, because the memory of them almost always evaporates in a few seconds and that's frustrating as hell sometimes.

It would be weird to see that stuff on a youtube vid someday, no?  Some of mine are completely baffling.  But cool settings - weird buildings, landscapes, cities, etc.  Where does it all come from?  Oops, sorry, wrong show.  Back to string theory.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: inuk2600 on November 24, 2015, 12:06:01 AM
Sometimes cats do amazing things like this kid that got rescued from a dog attack...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBW5dfRoG7Q

Yeah, I remember that one.  Great video.  Cats can be cool.  I like both cats and dogs.  But birds are my favorite.   :D

Barfly

Quote from: TigerLily on November 24, 2015, 12:05:00 AM
Cranky? Better call Lisa
Just mad at Comcast, they raised prices and now my internet is cutting in and out.
Yup, I'm cranky, i need a Lisa on her knees

Juan Cena

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 23, 2015, 11:57:51 PM
Correct. It all depends on what their motives are. If they wish to achieve a perfect hedonistic utopia, then that can be done only within a computer simulation. They would choose the Matrix, which is basically what we do already with video games and the internet in a rudimentary form. They would hit type II and then ignore the universe at large and live within a simulation created by uploading their consciousnesses into a matroishka brain computer, which would be detectable as a some kind of Dyson sphere and never advance to Type III. Or they may just upload themselves into a nanotechnological cloud and be completely undetectable, even if you were right on top of them. They would look like a fog bank hanging around a planet emitting only low-level radiation.

What they could never ignore however are external threats. And that may well mean eradicating all other intelligent life within their galaxy.

At some point such a society would get bored and would search for new experiences.

WanagoBleu

there are ways you can learn to do that. Look up 'lucid' dreaming info.

the_peeve

I AM SPARTACUS PARTICLE

NO. I AM SPARTACUS PARTICLE.

FLLFlash

Quote from: maren on November 23, 2015, 11:56:53 PM
This is SO not about their faith, and they don't even bother to pretend anymore.   It's become some kind of a club for losers with a penchant for violence (IMO, natch).  They really do a grave disservice to those who are genuine in their beliefs.  Ugly.

They are PIRATES and should be treated accordingly.

albrecht

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 24, 2015, 12:05:38 AM
My Dachshunds are cute as hell and pretty clever - but under the covers they are savage little creatures. My younger rescue was abandoned and has survival skills. They are tough as nails.
I had friend with some of those...did same stuff. I always warning him, and will warn you...that breed is bred to fight varmints in tunnels underground...I would not want them under my sheets!!

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Juan Cena on November 24, 2015, 12:08:03 AM
At some point such a society would get bored and would search for new experiences.

That is better done in a virtual reality than the physical universe . . . . if this universe is in fact physical and not a simulation itself. We may live in someone else's utopia.

norland2424

Quote from: Barfly on November 24, 2015, 12:08:02 AM
Just mad at Comcast, they raised prices and now my internet is cutting in and out.

lol

maren

Quote from: WanagoBleu on November 23, 2015, 11:58:05 PM
The Dreaming Universe, by Fred Alan Wolf. My favorite other physicist 💜. Great book.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dreaming-Universe-Mind-Expanding-Journey/dp/0684801590

A fave of mine, too.  I actually think he's my number one since he's the first one I heard (in the 90's) who made me interested in this stuff. I've been lucky enough to see him a few times.  I think he was the first one I heard speak about ayahuasca.

zeebo

Quote from: WanagoBleu on November 23, 2015, 11:58:05 PM
The Dreaming Universe, by Fred Alan Wolf. My favorite other physicist 💜. Great book.

thanks for the reco wb ... i'm gonna check this out.

TigerLily

Quote from: Barfly on November 24, 2015, 12:08:02 AM
I can sympathize with your internet issues. Sucks big time for me too. (Not the Lisa type)

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Barfly on November 24, 2015, 12:03:14 AM
I like the song, so fuck you all
Barfly, my sigh was of love. I LOVE THIS song. You would understand my sigh if you heard it. 😁

Barfly

I see Dick posted this.
Let’s kick off this holiday week with your questions, comments, ideas, input, guest suggestions, theories, notions and all manner of miscellanea that’s relevant to Other Side of Midnight.
In other words, screed calls

Barfly

Quote from: WanagoBleu on November 24, 2015, 12:11:57 AM
Barfly, my sigh was of love. I LOVE THIS song. You would understand my sigh if you heard it. 😁
Gotcha  :)

My major problems with comcast:

- When we first moved in here (2011), there were existing comcast cables. We were told by their service guys that the cables were from a different era and wouldn't work. They didn't remove the old cables, they just cut the ends off, and then rewrapped my house with more cable. Turns out they are the exact same fucking cables. The first were wrapped under the gutters but still noticiable. The new cables were about 3-4 inches above the ground.

600 bucks. We were never told this would be a charge. Comcast settled for half and gave us a bunch of free stuff.

I have a long home with an attached garage and a guest house on the other side, all attached. Thus, I have 20 miles of cables, in which the internet travels through. Here's my speed test

233.00 a month for Cable and Internet

My biggest problem is the NBA and Comcast agreement. I live in the Sacramento Kings market. I am a GS Warriors fan. Comcast owns the rights to both teams games. Although both CSN Bay Area (Warriors) and Comcast California (Kings) are available to me, they block the Warriors games. O.co is 65 miles from me. The Sleep Train Arena is 62 miles from me.

To top it all off, when ESPN carries a Warrior game that is also available through comcast, there is 90 miles radius black out. So I get blocked there as well.

In order to watch the Warrior games, I can  pay 200 a year for the NBA package through comcast. I already pay 233 a month.

So instead I use tons of Comcast Bandwidth to illegally stream the Warriors game through an off shore site somewhere.

In my area, all things considered, there is nothing better offered. Stuck with this shit.

JamesMcDonald

It can be done.  I did it.  It just takes a lot of focus and determination.

What you do is keep a pad and pen beside your bed.  Right after waking up, write down as much of your recalled dreams as you can.  Keep doing this every single morning.  Don't skip one morning if at all possible.  Keep going, and I guarantee, absolutely guarantee that you will start writing down so much detail and so much of the story that you will easily run out of time and paper.  You'll be able to follow not only the people in your dreams but the story lines, the places, the emotions, and so on.  Also, you will be able to string together night after night of dreams, connecting them together like a mini-series.

It's as simple as that.  The hard part is doing it. Your mind will reel from doing this over how much recall and detail you will be able to get after doing this for months.  I did it for one year without missing a single day.  It works.   :D

zeebo

I'd like to celebrate gravity, but it kinda brings me down.

the_peeve

Do you think Type II civilizations still fart on their lighters?

TigerLily

Quote from: FLLFlash on November 24, 2015, 12:08:40 AM
They are PIRATES and should be treated accordingly.
Avast, ye matey. Make them walk the plank, hang em from the yard arm and keelhaul the scurvy louts. Love pirate talk