• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151118 - Jeffrey Scott Holland - Feral Humans - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, November 18, 2015, 05:00:13 PM

lamr

half way through the show. callers are hilarious!! top value entertainment.

Dude, just listening to the archived version... had to go to bed early last night, so I'm alert for this holiday party thing I'm going to tonight... I sent an email to Art yesterday evening about why I thought UFO sighting reports might be on the decline, and he read the entire thing at the start of the show.  Cool as hell, and kind of surreal, to hear that out of the blue.  "WAIT, I recognize those words," as I was headed into campus to work.

Gotta hand it to him--of ALL the cool aspects of Art's work over the years, his engagement with fans and the public at large is one of the most valuable, admirable, and flat-out entertaining.  Whether it's here, open lines, wormhole, emails, etc., I'd imagine it's simultaneously one of the neatest and most challenging parts of being at all in the public eye, even if it's a relative niche of the public.  You'd like to think you could handle it with a certain amount of aplomb--but it's gotta cost something.

Cost him in LOTS of ways, thinking back over his years doing this.  Benefits must outweigh the drawbacks, and there's no underestimating what the creative drive will let you tolerate to keep working, even if he doesn't always like it (and there must be days people like that don't)--but it's a pretty special thing about him.

Skunk Ape

Quote from: chefist on November 19, 2015, 03:59:08 PM
That was just an amazing show! I'm still smiling!  :D

It got to a point where it became "Open Lines: Zombies" with the guest only speaking to say, "Yeah, that was a good call."

I'm still not sure how it happened, and I still have ~45 minutes remaining, but this zombie show has been great.

chefist

Quote from: Skunk Ape on November 19, 2015, 05:28:45 PM
It got to a point where it became "Open Lines: Zombies" with the guest only speaking to say, "Yeah, that was a good call."

I'm still not sure how it happened, and I still have ~45 minutes remaining, but this zombie show has been great.

Yea, it went into a direction Art clearly did not intend...but he expertly went with it! Art also made an interesting comment, I need to go back and hear it again. Something about how what happened couldn't happen on the "other show"...that may not have been the intent, but I need to go back and hear the statement again...

The previous shows had 11-14 pages on the thread...last night had 29 when I woke up! I knew it must have been pretty good!

jazmunda

That is why Art is the master of what he does.

I would have liked the show to go down the route of hearing tales of children who were "raised by wolves", found and reintegrated back into society. Also there are adults who have either snapped or got lost for extended periods of time and gone feral or even undiscovered tribes who have had no contact with civilization. Perhaps there could have been discussion about the psychology of reintegrating these children or adults back into society or even how someone who is civilised can become feral and how long it takes for the change to occur. Surely with adults there is a mental illness component and it's not just explained away by bath salts. I assume that Art and Heather expected the guest to go this way but the guest took it in another direction. Zombies!!!!

Art is so great at what he does and he was able to not only salvage it but turn it into radio gold.

I still would like to hear a show about feral children/people. That is a separate subject to what the guest presented last night.

albrecht

Quote from: jazmunda on November 19, 2015, 05:42:07 PM

I would have liked the show to go down the route of hearing tales of children who were "raised by wolves", found and reintegrated back into society. Also there are adults who have either snapped or got lost for extended periods of time and gone feral or even undiscovered tribes who have had no contact with civilization. Perhaps there could have been discussion about the psychology of reintegrating these children or adults back into society or even how someone who is civilised can become feral and how long it takes for the change to occur. I assume that Art and Heather expected the guest to go this way but the guest took it in another direction. Zombies!!!!

Art is so great at what he does and he was able to not only salvage it but turn it into radio gold.

I still would like to hear a show about feral children/people. That is a separate subject to what the guest presented last night.
Agree. Loved the show but the subjects you mentioned should have another show about, though it is a real sad thing and, though interesting, much of the cases were child-abuse where parents were abusive or dysfunctional. Jeff mentioned Kasper Hauser which was a documented, interesting case (good movie made about it.) I recall some scandal a year or so ago about almost feral human family in Oz where prosecutors had problems identifing the relationship between people due to all the incest, retardations, deprivation, etc. Sad and crazy tale, in a modern time and country!**
ps: I had a sort of growl during the bumper "Nothing But a Heartache" ? Art playing with the theme of feral humans and zombies?

** found it: "Keeping the rest of the world at arm’s length, they lived and travelled like ferals in old vans and survived on welfare cheques. Over time, the family tree began to get very complicated."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523555/Horror-Australian-incest-cult-spanned-generations-revealed.html

chefist

Quote from: jazmunda on November 19, 2015, 05:42:07 PM

I would have liked the show to go down the route of hearing tales of children who were "raised by wolves", found and reintegrated back into society. Also there are adults who have either snapped or got lost for extended periods of time and gone feral or even undiscovered tribes who have had no contact with civilization. Perhaps there could have been discussion about the psychology of reintegrating these children or adults back into society or even how someone who is civilised can become feral and how long it takes for the change to occur. Surely with adults there is a mental illness component and it's not just explained away by bath salts. I assume that Art and Heather expected the guest to go this way but the guest took it in another direction. Zombies!!!!

A classic "In Search Of"...

https://youtu.be/OSN_UFP2-1w

The music on "In Search Of" always scared the shit out of me when I was a kid!

Coffeeman

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 19, 2015, 01:23:26 AM
Want an argument for gun control? Do you want this idiot to have a gun? There is the only argument you need in favor of gun control

The only gun control required is making sure the firearm is pointed the right direction. Want proof private firearm ownership saves lives? Look to the United States. Look at states/cities hat flagrantly violate Consititutional Second Amendment rights (eg Chicago, Washington, D.C.., NYC) then compare crime stats with those communities that are gun friendly. Big difference.

But you're in the UK, am I right? You guys have been committing cultural suicide with the rest of Europe in taking in all those "refugees". Lay back and think of England, I guess it goes.

Lord Grantham

Did a mental hospital somewhere close recently? The nut job to normie ratio last night was absurd.

Skunk Ape

Saw a movie on Netflix a few months ago called The Woman about a feral gal that gets caught by a hunter. Pretty disturbing movie, but I liked it.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1714208/

Auslandia

There was a story about a family in the Siberian taiga who basically went feral.  The kids spoke in hums & whistles.

chefist

In this show Art said, "I've done a lot of shows in my life, Jeffrey. This one takes the cake. Any, uh, throws it in the face of somebody."

What does that mean? I took it as Art turned a sow's ear into a purse...F you Dave!

TigerLily

TigerLily back from the wilds of the land of no internet. Returning to the land of iffynet. Pretty tired so probably off to the land of dreams soon. Hope all the Sister Princesses and Sith Brothers and all Gabsters are well. *Kisses*

chefist

Quote from: TigerLily on November 19, 2015, 11:44:50 PM
TigerLily back from the wilds of the land of no internet. Returning to the land of iffynet. Pretty tired so probably off to the land of dreams soon. Hope all the Sister Princesses and Sith Brothers and all Gabsters are well. *Kisses*

Good evening, TL! Glad to see you back!

TigerLily

Quote from: chefist on November 19, 2015, 11:48:07 PM
Good evening, TL! Glad to see you back!
Hi chefist! Missed you guys. Do I dare ask for low/ highlights of the week?

chefist

Quote from: TigerLily on November 19, 2015, 11:52:02 PM
Hi chefist! Missed you guys. Do I dare ask for low/ highlights of the week?

Oh my goodness...busy week! You missed a bunch! That's good news! You have many of Art's shows to catch up on AND many pages of threads to read!

TigerLily

Quote from: chefist on November 19, 2015, 11:53:13 PM
Oh my goodness...busy week! You missed a bunch! That's good news! You have many of Art's shows to catch up on AND many pages of threads to read!
It's never boring here. Just got back this evening and dived in here. Haven't read one post yet. Putting that off until tomorrow. Hope it's a drama free weekend (hah) so I can get caught up.  In fact just noticed this is last night's show?

FLLFlash

Quote from: Coffeeman on November 19, 2015, 07:04:43 PM
The only gun control required is making sure the firearm is pointed the right direction. Want proof private firearm ownership saves lives? Look to the United States. Look at states/cities hat flagrantly violate Consititutional Second Amendment rights (eg Chicago, Washington, D.C.., NYC) then compare crime stats with those communities that are gun friendly. Big difference.

But you're in the UK, am I right? You guys have been committing cultural suicide with the rest of Europe in taking in all those "refugees". Lay back and think of England, I guess it goes.

Sister Sandra is Canadian. Try to forgive her. Their mass delusion is second only to Australia's.

Auslandia

Quote from: Coffeeman on November 19, 2015, 07:04:43 PM

That's not a great argument really.  By comparison to EUnor Australua, guns are fairly easily obtained even in the states that stretch the interpretation of the 2nd amendment.  Also since gun laws differ from state to state, the inflow of firearms obtained elsewhere is fairly steady.  I think fat head Mikey Moore hit a little closer to the mark when he correlated gun violence with media perpetuated fear.  The level of sensationalism in the US media is pretty alarming.

swordpoint9

Fun Show to call into to . Dosing reality into the Zombie Realm !

Weirdoradio

I almost gave up on the episode an hour into the show today, but hung in and BAM. Callers save the day. Curious to hear if all of those preppers/Zombie bullet-buyers were from terrestrial stations or from the Tune In app. Would have been nice to gauge just how much Art's getting out there.

Coffeeman

Hehe, sure tell who the sheep headed for th gas chamber are when mentioning any opposition to gun control.

Baaah baaaaah.