• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151027 - Tish Owen - Curses - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 27, 2015, 04:35:03 PM

Spinner

Quote from: norland2424 on October 27, 2015, 11:08:13 PM
God i just turned on the show on 790 kabc am and wow its weird to hear art on the real radio again
Lucky you!
I wish I could hear him on the radio.  In a way I do, thanks to my FM Transmitter, but it's not the same because I know it's not "real."

K_Dubb

Quote from: Barfly on October 27, 2015, 11:09:03 PM
If it wasn't for this forum i would tune out, i think many of us would

Haha If it wasn't for this forum I would think this was just another normal good Art Bell show.  I guess I don't know a good witch from a bad one.

trostol

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 27, 2015, 11:21:06 PM
The "tonewood" debate is a hot one.  Bottom line is, it's a giant crock of bullshit.  The tone from an electric guitar comes from the pickups and the fingers, not the damned wood.  There are a shitload of guys on Youtube who have made videos proving the point, but some people will never listen.   :)

The guitar has been a huge part of my life.  I've got around 14 of them now and the collection just keeps growing.  Getting into making my own now with the help of a great luthier.  Awesome stuff.

none of that means a thing to me..i just want to let it be know..i wanted to learn to play Bass lol

Kolchak

I asked a dear friend who's a wiccan for some information on black magic to research a screenplay recently, and she refused to give me any titles of books on the subject. Possibly because black magic is real and could open up a portal to let evil entities into our world, or possibly because she knew the witchraft in the screenplay would undoubtedly be unflattering to witches.

henge0stone

I'm starting to like the historic curses she is throwing out there. She should talk more about those.

norland2424

Quote from: Spinner on October 27, 2015, 11:21:45 PM

Lucky you!
I wish I could hear him on the radio.  In a way I do, thanks to my FM Transmitter, but it's not the same because I know it's not "real."

hopefully soon he gets picked uped by a station near your area  :D

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: trostol on October 27, 2015, 11:22:43 PM
none of that means a thing to me..i just want to let it be know..i wanted to learn to play Bass lol

Bass is great.   :)  I've got a Fender Jazz in mint shape.  Wonderful machines.

ShayP

totally random...but...I really would like some crawfish right now.

Lt.Uhura

While she's knowledgable, there's is a giddiness and superficiality about this guest that probably makes her popular with teacup junkies at parties, workshops and the like.  Today people want to be entertained by occultists.  I think there are few who have a deep interest in any esoteric traditions. 

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: ShayP on October 27, 2015, 11:24:55 PM
totally random...but...I really would like some crawfish right now.

That's weird.  I don't think I've ever had those.  Do they taste like lobster?

Barfly

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 27, 2015, 11:21:06 PM
The "tonewood" debate is a hot one.  Bottom line is, it's a giant crock of bullshit.  The tone from an electric guitar comes from the pickups and the fingers, not the damned wood.  There are a shitload of guys on Youtube who have made videos proving the point, but some people will never listen.   :)

The guitar has been a huge part of my life.  I've got around 14 of them now and the collection just keeps growing.  Getting into making my own now with the help of a great luthier.  Awesome stuff.
I'm down to 6, been playing my acoustic 12 string Hofner more and more lately, i still have my original 1964 Gibson Melody maker, 2 Strats, a Yamaha acoustic and a Ibenez that was given to me, it needs a lot of work.

Sean92008

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 27, 2015, 11:09:27 PM
You're incorrect about the finish affecting tone.  The pickups affect the tone.

Source: 42 years of playing guitar.   :)

p.s. the 70s were tone lame?  Yikes man.  Incorrect again.

Dude...  Sorry to be extremely disappointed in your extreme ignorance.  In addition to having toured and recorded, I have worked as a VP of Sales, A&R Rep. and was a top sales guy for a decade at two music manufacturing companies.  Backstage with the Eagles, The Pretenders, The Funk Brothers, ZZ Top, Allan Holdsworth... 

If pickups are your sole tone generation tool, that generally leads me to think of all the "tone is in the fingers" comments about the real players.  What about scale, tone woods, fretboard material, fret material, string height, string tension, body density, different bridges (brass vs. aluminum vs. stainless steel vs. steel vs. a piece of fret inset in grooved wood)?

So, if the pickups are your sole source of tone...  Something's wrong.  The player.

Just because someone has a nice camera and has money to go to pretty places does not make them a great photographer.  David Lindley proved that with all those crappy guitars he played because they "looked cool."

Weirdoradio

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 27, 2015, 11:25:41 PM
While she's knowledgable, there's is a giddiness and superficiality about this guest that probably makes her popular with teacup junkies at parties, workshops and the like.  Today people want to be entertained by occultists.  I think there are few who have a deep interest in any esoteric traditions.

This.

This x 100.

This is the kind of lady who sounds like she has a standing reservation at her local IHOP. There's a vapidness to her tone that contradicts the information she's delivering. Also she may be imbibing.

pyewacket

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on October 27, 2015, 11:25:41 PM

Totally agree, Lt.Uhura. It takes knowledge and discipline.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Barfly on October 27, 2015, 11:26:46 PM
I'm down to 6, been playing my acoustic 12 string Hofner more and more lately, i still have my original 1964 Gibson Melody maker, 2 Strats, a Yamaha acoustic and a Ibenez that was given to me, it needs a lot of work.

Hey!  I like the sound of that Melody Maker.   :D  That's GREAT man!  GREAT!

ShayP

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 27, 2015, 11:25:52 PM
That's weird.  I don't think I've ever had those.  Do they taste like lobster?

Prepared the same way, without knowing, I don't think you could tell the difference.  Of course the tail meat from the lobster would have to be cut up a bit since lobsters are bigger....otherwise....meh..

Council of Nicea...   Now It's getting interesting. 8) Let's see what her take is.

NTTjapan

Quote from: Barfly on October 27, 2015, 11:16:41 PM
I'm not getting in the middle of this one, i have been playing since 1964, its the only good thing i ever got out of a catholic school, we had to take a instrument, choices where the piano, accordion, trumpet or guitar, i grew up in a mostly Polish neighborhood and most of the parents made kids take accordion, my parents where cool and let me take guitar, i haven't put one down since .
And actually i got a great education from catholic school, cept for the forced religious aspects and Nuns beating me senseless

I've got Humbuckers on my Gibson F-hole.