• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Cooking With Chefist!

Started by chefist, July 01, 2015, 01:49:35 PM

Roswells, Art

I'm not a big fan of coleslaw so that might be my problem.

paladin1991

Quote from: Roswells, Art on July 08, 2015, 03:43:44 PM
I used to hate mayo...we are on shaky grounds presently. P.S I think that is way too much sugar...the first time I posted about too much sugar I thought it might be a transposing error but I think you mean it.

So Felchie didn't put you completely off of the mayo?

chefist

Quote from: Roswells, Art on July 08, 2015, 03:43:44 PM
I used to hate mayo...we are on shaky grounds presently. P.S I think that is way too much sugar...the first time I posted about too much sugar I thought it might be a transposing error but I think you mean it.
Trust me, it is not! 1/2 cup of vinegar is a CRAZY amount of acid...you need the sugar to counter balance, or you have to use around 2 cups of oil, which has A LOT more calories than the sugar...just try a small batch of it and you be the judge...when I first head the ratio I thought they were crazy, but it actually tastes amazing!

Roswells, Art

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 08, 2015, 03:50:05 PM

I am actively trying not to think of it.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: chefist on July 08, 2015, 03:54:49 PM
Trust me, it is not! 1/2 cup of vinegar is a CRAZY amount of acid...you need the sugar to counter balance, or you have to use around 2 cups of oil, which has A LOT more calories than the sugar...just try a small batch of it and you be the judge...when I first head the ratio I thought they were crazy, but it actually tastes amazing!

See, I actually like the taste of vinegar. I don't like the taste of sweet in savory food unless it is really well done. And by well done I mean flavor profile. But I will try the recipe and let you know.

chefist

Quote from: Roswells, Art on July 08, 2015, 03:57:52 PM
See, I actually like the taste of vinegar. I don't like the taste of sweet in savory food unless it is really well done. And by well done I mean flavor profile. But I will try the recipe and let you know.
you can always cut back on the sugar to your taste...I did...originally the recipe was a 1:1:1 ratio...just remember you may have to add more oil to maintain the emulsification and taste...

Roswells, Art

ok. I'll take a pic when I make it and post it here if I can figure out how to do that.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 08, 2015, 03:50:05 PM

It's Falkie's 'home-made' recipe we all need to be careful of.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 08, 2015, 04:01:02 PM
It's Falkie's 'home-made' recipe we all need to be careful of.

Nevermind, I don't think I will be eating again.

wr250

Quote from: Roswells, Art on July 08, 2015, 03:28:29 PM
Is this right? 1.5 cups of sugar seems like a lot.

considering the 1/2 C white (i used cider) vinegar ...

Roswells, Art

Quote from: wr250 on July 08, 2015, 05:25:15 PM
considering the 1/2 C white (i used cider) vinegar ...

This is crazy!

Quote from: Roswells, Art on July 08, 2015, 03:37:56 PM
ok, I'll just tell you. Take the meat you carved out of the shell and put it in a blender with ...oh nevermind. lol

No, that's a good start.  I'm really not sure what to do with it.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on July 08, 2015, 09:01:55 PM
No, that's a good start.  I'm really not sure what to do with it.

I made a long post but it got deleted accidentally..send me a pm and i can tell you on the phone if you want.

chefist

Quote from: Roswells, Art on July 08, 2015, 10:53:21 PM
I made a long post but it got deleted accidentally..send me a pm and i can tell you on the phone if you want.
Have fun you two!

I'm sorry, that's always very frustrating.  I really appreciate the effort. 

Don't sweat it.  I'll figure something out :).

paladin1991

900-pal-adin

wr250

the recipe for a good art bell show:

a couple of ghosts
1 bigfoot
10 greys
1 nordic
a ropen
a super christian conservative
5 ancient secrets
recordings of odd sounds (sounds of hell, bigfoot scream etc)
a bunch of open line callers

chefist

Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

1. All the seeds you remove from your Jack-O-Lantern
2. 2 T Olive Oil
3. 1 T Butter
4. 2 tsp salt
5. 1/4 tsp pepper
6. 1 tsp No Salt Seasoning from Big Lots
7. 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
8. 1/2 tsp chili powder

Spread out on a cookie sheet lined with aluminium foil and bake at 375 deg for 30 min or until golden brown.

Cool and PIG OUT!

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on July 12, 2015, 04:38:15 PM
Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

1. All the seeds you remove from your Jack-O-Lantern
2. 2 T Olive Oil
3. 1 T Butter
4. 2 tsp salt
5. 1/4 tsp pepper
6. 1 tsp No Salt Seasoning from Big Lots
7. 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
8. 1/2 tsp chili powder

Spread out on a cookie sheet lined with aluminium foil and bake at 375 deg for 30 min or until golden brown.

Cool and PIG OUT!
Yum. I like to use Old Bay Seasoning also.

The Mexicans have a great, tasty mole (sauce) made from pumpkin seeds (and some other ingredients can be be made spicy/or less and as a "red" or "green" sauce) which is very tasty and great with chicken, etc. It is called Pipián Mole

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on July 12, 2015, 04:40:30 PM
Yum. I like to use Old Bay Seasoning also.

The Mexicans have a great, tasty mole (sauce) made from pumpkin seeds (and some other ingredients can be be made spicy/or less and as a "red" or "green" sauce) which is very tasty and great with chicken, etc. It is called Pipián Mole
Absolutely! Traditional mole may have over 20 ingredients, including pepitas (pumpkin seeds out of the carapace). I make a mole..it is a labor of love, but worth it
!

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on July 12, 2015, 04:43:12 PM
Absolutely! Traditional mole may have over 20 ingredients, including pepitas (pumpkin seeds out of the carapace). I make a mole..it is a labor of love, but worth it
!
I was going to mow the lawn, but now I'm hungry! I'm not much of a cook but can buy various fresh moles from the Mexican markets or the small taco places. It can be "hit or miss" sometimes, especially when they can't speak English and my Spanish is limited to ordering drinks, the bathroom, ha. And the freshness or type. The Pepian discovery was not intended (point at and gestured to want to buy some after tasting it on a dish.) I actually, stupidly, avoided "moles" because the only one I was familiar with is the popular kind with chocolate- which I can't stand, so assumed all were. Was missing out for so many years on other great ones! And I eat, or at least try, just about everything (at least compared to friends and relatives) and like some odd stuff.

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on July 12, 2015, 04:53:22 PM
I was going to mow the lawn, but now I'm hungry! I'm not much of a cook but can buy various fresh moles from the Mexican markets or the small taco places. It can be "hit or miss" sometimes, especially when they can't speak English and my Spanish is limited to ordering drinks, the bathroom, ha. And the freshness or type. The Pepian discovery was not intended (point at and gestured to want to buy some after tasting it on a dish.) I actually, stupidly, avoided "moles" because the only one I was familiar with is the popular kind with chocolate- which I can't stand, so assumed all were. Was missing out for so many years on other great ones! And I eat, or at least try, just about everything (at least compared to friends and relatives) and like some odd stuff.

I'll post a down and dirty home-made recipe soon!

chefist

Ok Folks! We will start with a reverse engineering project:

Enriched corn meal (corn meal, ferrous sulfate, niacin, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, and folic acid), corn and/or soybean oil, salt, corn starch, onion powder, sugar, soy flour, buttermilk, maltodextrin, hydrolyzed soy protein, monosodium glutamate, dextrose, garlic powder, artificial colors, spice, natural flavors, soybean oil, corn flour, and gum arabic.
Contains: Milk and Soy ingredients.

First: The corn chip itself.  That is the easy part, as you can find them in almost all Mexican Supermarkets. In Spanish, they are called “Duros”, meaning hard things.  They look like little, hard wagon wheels. You fry them like french fries at 350 deg, corn oil, then they puff up like Chinese rice noodles!.  Use corn oil to get the best flavor and color.

Second: Spice Mix

1. 2 T popcorn salt
2. 2 T finely powdered onion powder
3. ½ tsp finely powdered garlic powder
4. ½ tsp powdered sugar
5. ¼ tsp MSG
6. ½ tsp buttermilk powder

Ok, it's pretty easy! Mix up all the spice mix first and set aside.

Fry the duros and drain.  Immediately sprinkle spice mix on hot duros in a large bowl tossing vigorously.

Taste test and enjoy the goodness that beings travel across the galaxy for!

nbirnes

Quote from: chefist on July 13, 2015, 05:27:22 PM

Enriched corn meal (corn meal, ferrous sulfate, niacin, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, and folic acid), corn and/or soybean oil, salt, corn starch, onion powder, sugar, soy flour, buttermilk, maltodextrin, hydrolyzed soy protein, monosodium glutamate, dextrose, garlic powder, artificial colors, spice, natural flavors, soybean oil, corn flour, and gum arabic.

First: The corn chip itself.  That is the easy part, as you can find them in almost all Mexican Supermarkets. In Spanish, they are called “Duros”, meaning hard things.  They look like little, hard wagon wheels. You fry them like french fries at 350 deg, corn oil.  Use corn oil to get the best flavor and color.

1. 2 T popcorn salt
4. ½ tsp powdered sugar
5. ¼ tsp MSG

Fry the duros and drain.  Immediately sprinkle spice mix on hot duros in a large bowl tossing vigorously.

Wow. You are dead serious. Now I'm afraid. Do not mess with the Chefist.

chefist

Quote from: nbirnes on July 13, 2015, 05:38:31 PM
Wow. You are dead serious. Now I'm afraid. Do not mess with the Chefist.

Nancy...next will be my recipes for noodle kugel, potato latkes and matzo ball soup! To die for!

paladin1991

Quote from: chefist on July 13, 2015, 05:27:22 PM

First: The corn chip itself.  That is the easy part, as you can find them in almost all Mexican Supermarkets. In Spanish, they are called “Duros”, meaning hard things.  They look like little, hard wagon wheels. You fry them like french fries at 350 deg, corn oil, then they puff up like Chinese rice noodles!.  Use corn oil to get the best flavor and color.

1. 2 T popcorn salt
4. ½ tsp powdered sugar
5. ¼ tsp MSG

Little known fact, they are called 'Duros' in homage to me.

Jackstar

I just yesterday have discovered that browning the meat for chili in coconut oil makes it incredible. Like, oh, my God, this chili is so good. The light sweetness of the oil combines with the capsicum in a rather particular way. You must try this.

Jackstar

I can still taste it. So good. You must try this if you have not. I don't know what I've been doing my whole life. I could have been doing this the whole time.