• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

EvB

Quote from: Nboy on March 11, 2009, 01:15:29 AM
That's a pretty awesome shitstorm you three got going on there. I'd say it was an F3, closing in on F4 status.

Bwahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaa!   ;D

Quote"Can't we all just get along."

Well, at a site call George Noory SUCKS - and with so few rules - there are bound to be times when fur flies.  That said, Centurion and I actually get along quite well. 

As for Boomer, I'm grateful for his post.  You see - some of us  had some discussions a while back about the idea that there was some implied need to show extra respect to moderators (when they were just speaking as any member) and how that could inhibit people's posts.   I've copied the permalink to his last reply to me to use as evidence of how UNTRUE that is. Just in case the subject ever comes up again  ;D   

EvB

A Peace Offering for Boomer:

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/662771317/59496836d91e06d049775790ca9d7967

And, anyone who is a fan of John Lee Hooker should grab it too.  You have 7 days before the link goes dead.

Boomer

Quote from: EvB on March 11, 2009, 01:13:56 PM
A Peace Offering for Boomer:

http://rcpt.yousendit.com/662771317/59496836d91e06d049775790ca9d7967

And, anyone who is a fan of John Lee Hooker should grab it too.  You have 7 days before the link goes dead.

Sorry...the only living things on this Planet I would consider clicking on that link would be George Snoory and Ian Punfart ;D

HAHAHAHAHAHA, Tug Boat Punnett, ahahahaha.  classic.

sociald

I used to like Ian but lately his stupid jokes are really getting on my nerves. If he really thinks he is some damn commedian, then why not give up hosting C2C on weekends and just go do stand up commedy. From listening to his pathetic jokes he would fail in an instant. I just don't get who ever told him he was funny.

Centurion73

Quote from: sociald on March 14, 2009, 02:21:01 PM
I used to like Ian but lately his stupid jokes are really getting on my nerves. If he really thinks he is some damn commedian, then why not give up hosting C2C on weekends and just go do stand up commedy. From listening to his pathetic jokes he would fail in an instant. I just don't get who ever told him he was funny.

His MOM told him he was funny and special, the band director at school, and the lady that plays the organ at church, OK!  ;D

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on March 11, 2009, 11:38:39 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA, Tug Boat Punnett, ahahahaha.  classic.

Personally, I prefer this one:

Quotethe Dipsy Deacon

;:)

Centurion73

Quotethe Dipsy Deacon

Do not know who said it but that is great, I like it too.

EvB

Quote from: Alexander the Least on March 17, 2009, 11:27:16 AM
I find most of the hosts dull to the point of tuning in to make myself go to sleep.

hahahahaaa -- Wanna know the embarrassing truth?  Every time my Streamlink come up for renewal - the things that ALWAYS decides for me is "But what will I listen to while I fall asleep?!"

Centurion73

OK, I must say my little calorie enhanced friend (Ian) did say a funny thing about "you don't know my mom" was funny but predictable but I gotta give him that one I laughed.

I think he did an admirable job trying to counter the information that the first hour guest presented as fact but he stopped himself from being very confrontational with phrases such as "I do not know enough about..." " I don't understand about..." Just seems like they wont let him go but he did bring up some very good counter evidence against the statements the guest made, however, he still let him shill away much more than the old Ian ever would have I just think they have a tight rein on him now?

I think Ian is the one doing the web design for the new site and if he is I hope he fixes it. The site looks like so many others and appears to be a clone of Alex Jones website. Now for his Bilbo Baggins picture and pose that is another thing all together  ;D

EvB

QuoteI think Ian is the one doing the web design for the new site and if he is I hope he fixes it.

Why do you think that?  I hope you're wrong - but no biggie if you're not. As a web developer (though novice) I have to say the new site is an improvement - but not by much.  It' like bringing something that was developed by 3early 90's standards up to 2000 standards.  Okay - better - but the web evolves quickly and we hare in 2009!

That is in relation to programming - the design is, also, trite.  So sad - they had the opportunity to do something that would have truly improved theimage of c2c.

Anyway - as for Ian as web designer - I know of only one site he has done himself (not the 107FM blog) and by his own admission, it is pure template - with the exception of the banner photo image.  THAT is simple enough to replace.  It is pleasant enough - but clearly a blog template - like so many others.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on March 21, 2009, 08:58:35 PM
Why do you think that?  I hope you're wrong - but no biggie if you're not.

That is in relation to programming - the design is, also, trite.  So sad - they had the opportunity to do something that would have truly improved theimage of c2c.

Anyway - as for Ian as web designer - I know of only one site he has done himself (not the 107FM blog) and by his own admission, it is pure template - with the exception of the banner photo image.  THAT is simple enough to replace.  It is pleasant enough - but clearly a blog template - like so many others.

I think he said he was involved with it and use words and phrasing in the possessive form I believe when he was talking about it. I know you have stream link maybe you want to listen to that part and see, I may be wrong however.

This also leads me to believe he may be involved and I think he should be involved if that is what he likes to do. That and being a host for the show he should at least be asked for his input but I agree that they could have done a lot better.

Ian's Bio
Name: Ian Punnett

Hometown: Winnetka, IL

Been with FM107 since: From the first day.

What is your role at FM107?: Morning show host

What do you wish your role was at FM107?: Web designer

EvB

QuoteIan's Bio
Name: Ian Punnett

Hometown: Winnetka, IL

Been with FM107 since: From the first day.

What is your role at FM107?: Morning show host

What do you wish your role was at FM107?: Web designer

Siiiiiiigh . .

Yeah - I've seen that before, and if people are wiling to give him the chance to play with it, great! But - it's one of the "popular" skills that looks Sooooooooooo much simpler than it is.  In fact, I'd say the only technical career that looks like more fun and is even harder work is game design. WYSIWYG programs HELP - but don't do it all by a long shot, and, the ones that do what they do best (such as Dreamweaver or Apatana Studio - which is open source freeware by the way -) have their own learning curve.  Now- if you just want to slap up a site with basic info - you can do an acceptable job with templates and WYSIWYG - but it's rather like paint by numbers.  Do it well, and it can look quite nice - however, you have little to no flexibility and in the end, anyone with an eye will know it's paint by numbers.

More and more - web surfers want interactivity.  They don't want to just look, they want to DO.  And that is a whole other layer of skill and work.

A good web author or developer is also a PROGRAMMER. Action Script, JavaScript, Python, CSS, XML, and so on.  And - with the disclaimer that the portfolio I have linked here is old as the hills and I'm much better now - gotta get my own site and new work up dammit! - I have to say that even as a relative apprentice I could wipe the floor with whomever did the c2c site.

Sound arrogant?  Maybe, but trust me, it wouldn't take much.  That's more my point.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on March 22, 2009, 12:04:53 PM
Siiiiiiigh . .
I have to say that even as a relative apprentice I could wipe the floor with whomever did the c2c site.

Sound arrogant?  Maybe, but trust me, it wouldn't take much.  That's more my point.

WOW! Bitch slapping session is now open please form a line to the right  ;D.

I must admit about all I understood is what I quoted above, lol. I agree almost everyone thinks they can be a web designer or are good at it and most are not. I have no doubt that a very high percentage of posters on here could and would do a lot better than that lame shit they are touting as a C2C website. I still like the older one better and I guess I am biased towards the darker background (eyesight issues) the contrast makes it easier for me to see and read it. Wonder if anyone in the streamlink chat will ask Ian if he is involved or not maybe SOMEONE that has streamlink might ask?

Centurion73

My little R2-C2C buddy did a good job interviewing about MI5 & 6 and was interesting subject or so I thought. He played an adult this week as I suspect he knew it would not fly to do other with the guest and he seemed to have a lot of respect for the guest as well. Good show little buddy you may make me a fan again but you and I have a lot of work for that to happen.

EvB

QuoteWOW! Bitch slapping session is now open please form a line to the right  ;D.

Okay - looks like I have some 'splanin to do!

I'm guessing these are the things that may have flown over your head:

WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get - it's a description of a type of design interface.  Not EXACTLY accurate - it's more like "what you see is almost, with luck, what you get - but it depends"  Since it's modular - you plug in what they have for you to plug in, their way, there is a limit to what you can do unless you know how to use come basic programming code to override or add to their options.  Both Dreamweaver and Apatana Studio are GOOD WYSIWYG programs, with many options, but you still need the flexibility of writing some of your own code if you want your site to be really GREAT - on all browsers.  Think of them like Legos - it's amazing what you can do with Legos - they even have robotic capability.  But, if you know how, you'll do better with some material you can mold yourself and the electronic components to make your creation responsive to commands.

Ummm - interactivity?  Well, this site is interactive, in a very functional way.  Look at this site for an example of some great web developers who have taken multimedia interactivity to the absurd - on purpose.  http://www.stolen.la/

The ultimate interactive web experience may be on line roll-play gaming.

Action Script, JavaScript, Python, CSS, XML, and so on = just names for some programming languages that are commonly used to create interactivity.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on March 24, 2009, 08:17:37 PM
Okay - looks like I have some 'splanin to do!

I'm guessing these are the things that may have flown over your head

No, not me, not ever  ;D. Tell the truth I had no f-ing idea what you said,lol.

QuoteAction Script, JavaScript, Python, CSS, XML, and so on

Sound like gang member names to me, now that I can understand.

xpmark12

I gave this man a fair hearing and now it's time for him to resign.He is intolerant of any opinion that he doesn't agree with.He always has to get the last word in, as if all differing opinions must be dealt with.Why not just move on to the next caller, so long as nothing illegal has been proposed.

EvB

I'm not sure I'd use the word "intolerant" but yes, he does control conversations.  I prefer that to Noory's "Duh-oh" and drool ways but Art was the master of a middle ground, using that infamous "oooOOO?"  to tease more out of a guest or caller. 

The way it seems to me is that Ian likes dialogue.  He doesn't mind presenting a challenge to get one going.  Now, on his morning show, most of this dialogue takes place with his wife - and after 25 years she can handle him. 

Sometimes I, too, wish he were a little more patient with callers, but I've also seen him struggle with that balance and gt very frustrated when things were just moving too slowly for him. 

I don't recommend the morning show to most people here - it's a little too "Family friendly down home local yokel" for the taste of many- kind of Prairie Home Companion meets Regis and Kelly (though I get a kick out of it and they have a solid fan base) But one of these days I'm gong to capture a clip for you all of how Margery Punnett handles him when he gets like that.  It's quite funny.  She actually sllllllooooowwwssss doooooownn (you can almost hear her breath) and then says, quietly and slowly "you just have SO MUCH going on in that head of yours,  don't you?"

bobcollum

QuoteThe way it seems to me is that Ian likes dialogue.  He doesn't mind presenting a challenge to get one going.

That is how I would put it, though not as succinctly.

However with Snoory tainting my ears on a regular basis, I find it more difficult to determine what is good or bad. He alters(vomits on) the grading curve. My favorite foods don't even taste good anymore, and I have a new found pleasure(I think) in jabbing sharp things in my ears, mainly from 10pm to 2am pacific time, Monday through Friday.

Centurion73

QuoteI'm not sure I'd use the word "intolerant" but yes, he does control conversations.

Read as anal, controlling, overbearing, self important and pompous.

QuoteThe way it seems to me is that Ian likes dialogue.

Only if it agrees with his type of thinking or thought.

QuoteI've also seen him struggle with that balance and gt very frustrated when things were just moving too slowly for him. 

OH, silly me, I thought the show was for us (listeners) not Ian, I am so sorry things move so slow for HIM.

QuoteMargery Punnett him when he gets like that... says, quietly and slowly "you just have SO MUCH going on in that head of yours,  don't you?

Talk about feeding an ego, no wonder he thinks he is so smart, give me a fucking break!

Great post XP you're batting 1000% with your post here.

Centurion73

Two Saturday shows where Ian has acted like and adult could it be? I liked this interview I liked the one last week also. He seems to have weeded out a lot of his usual banal outburst due to having a "lot of things going on in that head of his." Now when he seems to get serious about an interview he has been doing rather well.

EvB

Quote from: Centurion73 on March 29, 2009, 11:56:50 PM
He seems to have weeded out a lot of his usual banal outburst due to having a "lot of things going on in that head of his." Now when he seems to get serious about an interview he has been doing rather well.

If it were not for the fact that I'm weary, and have had 3/4 of a beer (sorry Dude, I'm a cheep date) I'd think of a reply that had lots and lots of semicolons.  But, I'll limit myslef to reminding you that a paraphrase does not call for quotation marks (no matter how much sense it SEEMS to make, and I admit it does) The correct way to cite the above would be: "a lot of things going on in that head of [his]"

Meanwhile, I'll settle for this:

PS: I have to 'fess that your nick-name for Ian: "R2-C2C" makes me giggle.   ;D

Centurion73

Cheap dates can be fun but I am sure you are not the cheapness  ;D.

I too made a mistake due to my consumption of 1/2 bottle of wine and in my attempt to "jab" (ooops did it again) and old friend. I thought I was using a direct quote that should have been "and then says, quietly and slowly "you just have SO MUCH going on in that head of yours,  don't you?" I apologize to all the grammar gods and genuflect in my supplication for my sins. I don't know it could be part of my dyslexia, learning disability, but is probably just plain laziness on my part. And as for bite me, I think I have told you before my dear friend just point to the spot  ;D.

Ruteger

Punnett was discussing the topic of LED light bulbs, and asked (paraphrasing) "I wonder if there's a light bulb to make one look studly."

I another show there was a story involving some guy who's last name was "Duran." You can guess what failed attempt at humor came next.

He's close to dethroning Snoory in my opinion, as worst talk show host ever.

>:(

Centurion73

Quote from: Ruteger on April 01, 2009, 06:37:28 AM
Punnett was discussing the topic of LED light bulbs, and asked (paraphrasing) "I wonder if there's a light bulb to make one look studly."

I another show there was a story involving some guy who's last name was "Duran." You can guess what failed attempt at humor came next.

He's close to dethroning Snoory in my opinion, as worst talk show host ever.

>:(

Ruteger my new hero  ;D. I thought I may be the only one that thinks his attempts at levity are rather contrived and or middle schoolish at best.

EV, your new avatar is creepy but in a cool way does this mean you are not the board big mouth anymore  :-[.

EvB

QuoteEV, your new avatar is creepy but in a cool way does this mean you are not the board big mouth anymore  :-[.

Note today's DATE, Centurion  ;:)

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on April 01, 2009, 03:41:18 PM
Note today's DATE, Centurion  ;:)

Once again I am oblivious to the obvious. My defense is that I was so upset that you may not be the board big mouth any longer I became bereft of all happiness  ;D.

EvB

QuoteI was so upset that you may not be the board big mouth any longer I became bereft of all happiness  ;D.

I think there is little danger of that.  ;:)

I can barely stand him anymore. He manages the discussion to a microscopic degree and treats the guests like children; very passive-aggressive too. At the same time he acts like a pre-pubescent boob. A person like this would be on my shit list if I had to interact with them in my daily life.

Please, no more personality disorder am.

Save us, Knapp; you're our only hope.

:'(