• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Music

Started by RealCool Daddio, April 24, 2011, 10:21:45 PM

Sean92008

I didn't want to clutter up the Heather Wade thread...

In honor of MV's Liberace avatar (May is the anniversary month of his death), I'm posting a picture of the first time my then 5-year old played at the now shuttered Liberace Museum.  I submitted this to C2C as (if you can see past the bad resolution, etc...) there's a little Lee Liberace face next to the "N" in Baldwin.  I don't know if they ever published it.  I know that the museum staff were incredible with my daughter.  They approached us the first time almost knowing who she was and inviting her to play. For the record, there were no pictures or likenesses of Liberace in that room other than small B&W photos.  The outfits were on headless mannequins.  She played on a day that was celebrated as the anniversary of his death.  The staff told us that they had seen similar things happen, especially when kids were in the picture.  As for why they approached her...  It was out of the blue...  Seriously creepy but in a paranormal way.

She remained prodigious until about 14 years old, practicing twice a day stopped around 13 and every day practices ended around 14.  She masterfully played Scott Joplin, gaining the attention of cats who played with En Vogue, Oingo Boingo, Beach Boys and some column writer from Keyboard Magazine.  She's constantly asked to accompany various singers, play weddings, etc. but she just doesn't want to practice.  She's addicted to streaming Brooklyn 99, The Office and Parks and Recreation.  I've done my warnings and anger thing...  If she wants to screw herself out of a career or whatever, she can go fuck herself.  I sacrificed a lot (including a lot of happiness, money and time), I want her to be happy and successful...  She's gotta want it herself though.  I hope her kid does the same thing to her. 

aldousburbank

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 04, 2018, 02:58:42 PM

In honor of MV's Liberace avatar (May is the anniversary month of his death), I'm posting a picture of the first time my then 5-year old played at the now shuttered Liberace Museum.  I submitted this to C2C as (if you can see past the bad resolution, etc...) there's a little Lee Liberace face next to the "N" in Baldwin.  I don't know if they ever published it.  I know that the museum staff were incredible with my daughter.  They approached us the first time almost knowing who she was and inviting her to play. For the record, there were no pictures or likenesses of Liberace in that room other than small B&W photos.  The outfits were on headless mannequins.  She played on a day that was celebrated as the anniversary of his death.  The staff told us that they had seen similar things happen, especially when kids were in the picture.  As for why they approached her...  It was out of the blue...  Seriously creepy but in a paranormal way.

She remained prodigious until about 14 years old, practicing twice a day stopped around 13 and every day practices ended around 14.  She masterfully played Scott Joplin, gaining the attention of cats who played with En Vogue, Oingo Boingo, Beach Boys and some column writer from Keyboard Magazine.  She's constantly asked to accompany various singers, play weddings, etc. but she just doesn't want to practice.  She's addicted to streaming Brooklyn 99, The Office and Parks and Recreation.  I've done my warnings and anger thing...  If she wants to screw herself out of a career or whatever, she can go fuck herself.  I sacrificed a lot (including a lot of happiness, money and time), I want her to be happy and successful...  She's gotta want it herself though.  I hope her kid does the same thing to her.

Dude, sweet.

Sean92008

Not as talented as some say but this has a great Siouxsie and the Banshees meets Motown vibe.

https://youtu.be/mVAxUMuhz98

albrecht

Quote from: Sean92008 on May 04, 2018, 02:58:42 PM

THAT is cool. And regardless if she pursues the training, or career, it will not be wasted. Sources say music study is good for the mind and even if just later entertaining friends etc sometimes. And also you never know when people will retake up stuff and easier when foundations layed.

albrecht

Two versions of an old Grieg hymn from 1913&14. Pictures added later.  ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Itcty5ZvM

Sean92008

Quote from: albrecht on May 04, 2018, 10:43:06 PM
THAT is cool. And regardless if she pursues the training, or career, it will not be wasted. Sources say music study is good for the mind and even if just later entertaining friends etc sometimes. And also you never know when people will retake up stuff and easier when foundations layed.

Very true. Also, knowing famous people at a young age, I believe, takes the barriers down on the road to success.

I met Mike Bloomfield when I was 6 or 7 through a neighbor.  Same with Mark Hamill (he and his family were neighbors), David Foster, Jason Scheff, Jennifer Batten, etc...  All of those exposures as a kid through my teens gave me a comfort zone and dealing with them and I turned it into my job.

Especially in music, but also valid in all performing arts and media, attitude goes a long way over talent.  I was hardly a good musician, I was serviceable. I went into situations with an attitude that people liked me.

I wonder what happened to me that turned into such an asshole...  Just kidding, I'm more intolerant of idiots than anything else.

PS, I equate her playing Liberace's piano to playing John Lennon's guitar.