• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Phil Hendrie

Started by Caruthers612, November 20, 2008, 11:35:40 AM

Who is your favorite Hendrie guest of all time..

Art Bell
Steve Bosell
Bobbie Dooley
Chris Norton
Raj Fahneen
Austin Amarka
Bob Green
Bud Dickman
Clara Bingham
David G. Hall
Dean Wheeler
Doug Dannger
Dr. Jim Sadler
Father James McQuarter
Harvey Wireman
Herb Sewell
Jay Santos
Jeff Dowder
Lloyd Bonifide
Margaret Gray
Pastor William Rennick
R.C. Collins
Ted Bell
Vernon Dozier
General Johnson Jameson

Caruthers612

As I was peeing just now, not surprisingly, a classic Phil Hendrie moment came to me. It was Phil on the line with Bob Bakian, in the news helicopter, who was describing the spontaneous demonstrations of jubilation breaking out around the Vatican and in the streets of cities around the world in respond to Sinead O'Conner's announcement that she was retiring from the music business. I laughed so hard I almost pee'd myself. Oh wait, I did pee.
      For those of you fellow gloids who were/are fans, please share your favorite moments or quotes.

M

timpate

Someone needs to host a Phil Hendrie Show Stream.
All the old Phil Shows are great. Even some of the new ones.

MV/Liberace!

problem is that even though phil is probably one of the more interesting figures ever to come along in talk radio, he doesn't draw much of an audience on shoutcast when people air a stream of his content.  don't know why.  i even tried it myself, once.  didn't pan out too well.

Caruthers612

Quote from: timpate on February 20, 2010, 01:35:24 AM
Someone needs to host a Phil Hendrie Show Stream.
All the old Phil Shows are great. Even some of the new ones.

My thoughts are based on having been a diehard fan of Phil's old show for a good six years, having given a generous listening to the new show he started when he returned to radio, and an even more extensive listening to his "new new" show, the modified version of his first new show that, in terms of format and content, combines elements of that first new show and his original one.

Would it be fair to state that Phil is an angry man? ;-) Without going into it, as this is a subject in itself, this point shouts as loudly as Phil shouts at his audience as the obvious and unavoidable starting point for any seeking an understanding of Phil, being as it is the genesis and architect of all the radio he's done in the last several years. The almost surreal intensity of Phil's anger--no, let's call it what it is: rage--is so alarming as to startle, daunt, puzzle, overwhelm and often repel the new listener; while long-time listeners, long since familiar with the facts of Phil's background and nature, may have likewise long since passed through the psychoanalyst period in which all the pieces came together. Whether they still listen or not is another thing--and partly the subject here.

I realize now that I am going to be much briefer than I at first thought, having since made the decision to stop listening to the current show, as I did its previous version. I can say with a high degree of confidence, after all these years, that I understand the man and his signature rage--and specifically why he expresses it in the particular way he does, this an allusion to the focus and content of his show--as well as anyone who doesn't know Phil personally can. And the conclusion? I am done with Phil Hendrie. My intellectual nature, which for a time made me willing to withstand his nightly barrages and sickening focus as I postulated and analyzed this and that element of Phil's background and nature, has by now lost all interest. I no longer care, it's that simple. Knowing that this is who and what he is and that this will not change, I decided to forego the passing moments of funniness strewn throughout his self-imposed living hell, it being obvious that this was more than counterbalanced by the emotional unrest and mental pandemonium I was subjecting myself to by listening. Perhaps the simplest summary I can make is: What a waste.

M

g1rock

OMG, The Lloyd Bonafide character driving his RV was the funnest thing I have ever heard! I played a Phil Hendrie CD on a family trip down to Washington DC and we laughed like Lunatics even in the worst traffic.. .....  Great Stuff!  ;D ;D ;D

Eddie Coyle

There's a real "Christine Chubbuck" type of vibe that Phil gives off,so even when he's awful, I feel compelled to listen. He's not particularly adept at hiding his frustration and that makes for very interesting listening experience...if you're a morbid miserabilist like me.

you're welcome croooow, and General, sir. :)

Art

Was General Johnson Jameson based on Col. Philip J. Corso

The General

Quote from: Art on June 16, 2011, 01:58:46 PM
Was General Johnson Jameson based on Col. Philip J. Corso?

I always thought it was a mix of John Lear and Col. Corso.

JustOneFix

I wish Phil would do a parody of Snoory the way he did with Art.

Some other possibilites:

Phil could have on Steve Bossell who is suing the Catholic church for all the angels that have been flying around his house looking into his windows while he 'has relations with his wife" Noron calls in and defends the angels.

Bobbie Dooley could do a segment ''about this no talent late night talk show host who moved into Western Estates". but Bobbie rightfully fears property values will go down because the only person that ever visits is this guy named "Tommy" and fears 'they may have the gay gene'.

Jay Santos could do a segment about "all the nutjobs that were at the local health fair where this guy who looked like a 75 yr old basset hound with a mustache was talking about Turmeric." Jay then proceeds to seize all the turmeric samples that noron passed out. As a Brigadier General of the Citizen's Auxiliary Police he's trying to save lives.

Ted Bell could do a segment where he kicks Noron out of "Ted's of Beverly Hills for ordering a side of turmeric and not participating in the lighting of the Baked potato christmas tree."

Austin Amarka could call in about 'a bad experience I had calling into this late night talk show and the host didn't know a damn thing about the topic, leaving me to research via many internet search engines."

The possibilities are endless. Too bad Phil's new show isn't what it used to be.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: JustOneFix on June 16, 2011, 05:36:41 PM

The possibilities are endless. Too bad Phil's new show isn't what it used to be.

Phil did an Art Bell bit on the final hour of his Friday June 3 show. Sadly, it was painful, Phil's "Ross Mitchell" was horrible(Phil admitted as much), the musical bed ran out, the bit was pretty lame(General Johnson Jameson had X ray vision) and far too typical of the Hendrie show in 2011.

Quote from: Art on June 16, 2011, 01:58:46 PM
Was General Johnson Jameson based on Col. Philip J. Corso?
No, it was not Colonel Corso.
Actually, the correct answer is..
Richard C. Hoagland!!!!!

morphiaflow

Thanks 999, I was coming here to post the demonoid torrent but you beat me to it.

It is absolutely the fullest and most complete Hendrie/Bell archive I've ever seen.

I think Hendrie's stuff needs to be preserved and played side by side with Art's.

For the record Hendrie was on Coast with Noory around 2006 and--Noory notwithstanding--it was a pretty fun show, and I think he not only did his Art voice but yes, also, he did a Noory impression. (As to why a Noory impression wouldn't hold up in the long term, here's why: with Art it was done with love and respect, and also, he was parodying the format of the show as much as Art himself; with Noory, it would have to be done out of a sense of "what an idiot this guy is", and also, the format has changed anyway--AND Noory is a self parody. WE can make fun of him, but I think it's beneath Phil's notice.)

There is one clip I used to have but can't find anymore, and that's a caller asking Art about "Phil Hendrie did a spoof on you". Art pretends to be outraged but then goes on to say that he loves Hendrie's impression, he's flattered, not insulted by it. I think it was from an open lines around 2005 (NOT certain on the year!) If anyone knows the date or has the clip please let me know!!!

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: morphiaflow on July 02, 2011, 05:30:36 PM
Thanks 999, I was coming here to post the demonoid torrent but you beat me to it.

It is absolutely the fullest and most complete Hendrie/Bell archive I've ever seen.

I think Hendrie's stuff needs to be preserved and played side by side with Art's.

For the record Hendrie was on Coast with Noory around 2006 and--Noory notwithstanding--it was a pretty fun show, and I think he not only did his Art voice but yes, also, he did a Noory impression. (As to why a Noory impression wouldn't hold up in the long term, here's why: with Art it was done with love and respect, and also, he was parodying the format of the show as much as Art himself; with Noory, it would have to be done out of a sense of "what an idiot this guy is", and also, the format has changed anyway--AND Noory is a self parody. WE can make fun of him, but I think it's beneath Phil's notice.)

Going on pure memory for this, but I think Phil's appearance was the night of June 22,2006 when he unwisely decided to retire to do a sitcom nobody watched.

timpate

I watched it. That show was great. It was called Teachers.

Art

Cupid, February 10, 2005

It's pretty worthless, but I don't see it at demonoid.

edit:  Oh, and there are two Phil Hendrie streams on Shoutcast, at KBLO.

timpate

That dude has done that stream for years. He had emailed me and asked me how I got some of my shows. This was a few years back. I had hosted some archives on my site.

Art

I like that stream; it leaves out the repetitive 10-20 minute set-ups that help make each show tiresome.

Quote from: Mordred478 on February 26, 2010, 10:34:22 AMWould it be fair to state that Phil is an angry man? ;-)

With his voice now gravelly, Phil has become Harvey Wireman.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Art on July 15, 2011, 09:11:08 AM
I like that stream; it leaves out the repetitive 10-20 minute set-ups that help make each show tiresome.

With his voice now gravelly, Phil has become Harvey Wireman.
oh no, i liked the setups.  it was funny to hear the characters' assertions become progressively and incrementally more ridiculous as the segment evolved.  during that buildup, it was funny to imagine what an unwitting listener/caller must be thinking.

too bad phil has turned into a dickhead who resents his fans.  at least i have my pirated recordings of his show's glory days.  oops.  perhaps i shouldn't have said that.  sue me, phil.  it won't change the fact that you're a miserable man.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on July 15, 2011, 01:11:36 PM

too bad phil has turned into a dickhead who resents his fans.  at least i have my pirated recordings of his show's glory days.  oops.  perhaps i shouldn't have said that.  sue me, phil.  it won't change the fact that you're a miserable man.

Uh oh, an armada of attourneys are headed your way. Herr Hendrie is displeased.

I always thought Michael "Savage" hated his fans the most, but Hendrie goes even further in his madness. Totally oblivious to how foolish he looks when he attacks his fans...reminds me of Lars Ulrich vs Napster.

Art

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on July 15, 2011, 01:11:36 PM
oh no, i liked the setups.  it was funny to hear the characters' assertions become progressively and incrementally more ridiculous as the segment evolved.  during that buildup, it was funny to imagine what an unwitting listener/caller must be thinking.

Well, yeah, I like the escalation too.  I meant more like the part before there's a good caller, when Phil and/or bad callers repeat the premise five times.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 15, 2011, 01:34:49 PMI always thought Michael "Savage" hated his fans the most, but Hendrie goes even further in his madness. Totally oblivious to how foolish he looks when he attacks his fans...reminds me of Lars Ulrich vs Napster.

Phil seems to hate everybody, and I don't know him personally, so I don't take it personally.  Like Mordred said, his misanthropy brought about the version of the show we like.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Art on July 15, 2011, 05:28:32 PM

Phil seems to hate everybody, and I don't know him personally, so I don't take it personally.  Like Mordred said, his misanthropy brought about the version of the show we like.

As a misanthrope, I LOVE that hatred of others. But the litigious side pf Phil annoys me greatly, it's so wormy. Phil's "I'm calling my lawyer" routine..well, call a doctor motherfucker and have him surgically extract your head from your ass. Nobody is screwing you out of money by posting a bit from 2002 on YouTube.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 15, 2011, 01:34:49 PM
   Uh oh, an armada of attourneys are headed your way. Herr Hendrie is displeased.

I always thought Michael "Savage" hated his fans the most, but Hendrie goes even further in his madness. Totally oblivious to how foolish he looks when he attacks his fans...reminds me of Lars Ulrich vs Napster.
yup... he really went off the deep end... and his new show is like a funeral.

JustOneFix

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on July 15, 2011, 06:10:40 PM
yup... he really went off the deep end... and his new show is like a funeral.

Very true. I've tried listening to the new show, but after listening to his old show for years there's no comparison. I listen to my archive of old PHS shows and that satisfies the urge. To anyone that hasn't listened to the old stuff (1999-2006) you need to. Not only were the characters more varied, Phil actually put in a serious effort to make quality satire radio. 

Austin Amarka, Steve Bosell, Bobbie Dooley, "General" Jay Santos are among my favorites- but it's hard to pick just one or two! Can't forget Bob Green either.

Eddie Coyle

I think age,obesity and smoking have begun to take it's toll on Phil's "voices". His attempt at Ross Mitchell last month was pitiful...

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 15, 2011, 07:51:12 PM

I think age,obesity and smoking have begun to take it's toll on Phil's "voices". His attempt at Ross Mitchell last month was pitiful...
oh god.  it pains me just to read this.

i briefly followed the whole incident where a fan in canada was providing a daily podcast in which he would highlight a classic phil bit.  that's right, just a bit.  not a whole show.  the fan did so with phil's blessing, and then suddenly, out of the blue, phil turned on him and started accusing him of being a worthless lump of shit who was pirating his material. it was unreal... like jekyll/hyde unreal.  who knows how much free publicity phil's show was getting as a result of this podcast and all of the work this fan was putting into it on a daily basis.  the problem is, phil is old and thinks like an "old media" guy.  he doesn't understand publicity in 2011.  he doesn't comprehend the benefit of a fan expressing his appreciation by promoting phil's work, completely free of charge to phil and the podcast's listeners.  in his eyes, it's just some dude "stealing my product."  it's almost like he's been infused with the DNA of rupert murdoch... another senile old man who doesn't understand new media.

when the "new phil hendrie show" started (after phil's lame attempt at becoming a tv star failed), there were no characters on the show AT ALL... well, at least not in the same context as before.  it was just a straight-up political show... you know... the type phil himself used to make fun of on a nightly basis back when he was funny.  i think phil consciously made the decision not to continue hosting a comedy show because he wanted to raise the middle finger to his old fans even more prominently.  he then realized he wasn't going to pull it off as a hacky AM radio political host, and decided he'd better go back to the old show format if he had any interest at all in staying on the radio.  problem was... the magic was gone.  he left his old show for all the wrong reasons, returned for the wrong reasons, and failed to deliver the product that made him a success to begin with.  he's alienated his old fans to such an extent that i think there's just a funk... a festering black cloud hanging over the show... and you can hear it when you listen now.  it's like listening to a guy named phil hendrie trying to do in impression of a once great radio host named phil hendrie.  it saddens me greatly, because i continue to list hendrie in my top 5 greatest radio hosts of all time.  however, it's over, johnny.

i believe this is the episode of that SFJ podcast where they talk to the fan who set up that hendrie podcast only to have phil pull a bat-shit-crazy 180 on him.  an interesting listen for any former phil fan.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on July 15, 2011, 09:19:32 PM
oh god.  it pains me just to read this.

i briefly followed the whole incident where a fan in canada was providing a daily podcast in which he would highlight a classic phil bit.  that's right, just a bit.  not a whole show.  the fan did so with phil's blessing, and then suddenly, out of the blue, phil turned on him and started accusing him of being a worthless lump of shit who was pirating his material. it was unreal... like jekyll/hyde unreal.  who knows how much free publicity phil's show was getting as a result of this podcast and all of the work this fan was putting into it on a daily basis.  the problem is, phil is old and thinks like an "old media" guy.  he doesn't understand publicity in 2011.  he doesn't comprehend the benefit of a fan expressing his appreciation by promoting phil's work, completely free of charge to phil and the podcast's listeners.  in his eyes, it's just some dude "stealing my product."  it's almost like he's been infused with the DNA of rupert murdoch... another senile old man who doesn't understand new media.

when the "new phil hendrie show" started (after phil's lame attempt at becoming a tv star failed), there were no characters on the show AT ALL... well, at least not in the same context as before.  it was just a straight-up political show... you know... the type phil himself used to make fun of on a nightly basis back when he was funny.  i think phil consciously made the decision not to continue hosting a comedy show because he wanted to raise the middle finger to his old fans even more prominently.  he then realized he wasn't going to pull it off as a hacky AM radio political host, and decided he'd better go back to the old show format if he had any interest at all in staying on the radio.  problem was... the magic was gone.  he left his old show for all the wrong reasons, returned for the wrong reasons, and failed to deliver the product that made him a success to begin with.  he's alienated his old fans to such an extent that i think there's just a funk... a festering black cloud hanging over the show... and you can hear it when you listen now.  it's like listening to a guy named phil hendrie trying to do in impression of a once great radio host named phil hendrie.  it saddens me greatly, because i continue to list hendrie in my top 5 greatest radio hosts of all time.  however, it's over, johnny.

i believe this is the episode of that SFJ podcast where they talk to the fan who set up that hendrie podcast only to have phil pull a bat-shit-crazy 180 on him.  an interesting listen for any former phil fan.

It's all true, and very,very depressing indeed. Hendrie and Howard Stern are probably my two favorite radio personalities of all time, and now the both of them are so far over the hill and out of touch. Different paths, of course, Stern got too big(Hollywood Howie/Hamptons Howie) and Phil seems quite bitter about never breaking through and becoming a household name.

I think he wants TRN to fire him...