• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Rix Gins

Not in my collection but I wish it was.  A nice, cheesy pic of the Imperial 400 Motel in Seattle, Washington.  Not sure if it's still there.  The Space Needle is still there, of course.  I once lived in Seattle for about five months.  Lots of fond memories of the place.   

Rix Gins

This particular motel is in my collection.  It was called the Continental Motel and Restaurant and it was located in Williamsburg, Virginia.  I'm not sure where the restaurant was, perhaps that lower addition to the left, overlooking the pool.  All gone now.  I looked the property over via Google Road Search and could only find a newer building there.  It's a Chipotle restaurant, now.     

Rix Gins

Major General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's headquarters.

By Grayghost01 at English Wikipedia - Transferred from en.wikipedia to Commons., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9444272

As we can see, the place is still there, and nicely preserved at that.

Stonewall's house has also been saved for posterity.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_Jackson_House

Rix Gins

This is a WWI German postcard showing the effects of a shell strike on a building I think, in the town of Fléville, France.

There is an interesting notation on the back that states 'Military censored and free traffic allowed.'

Rix Gins

Here we have the Magnolia Motor Hotel & Restaurant down in Mississippi.  I'm not sure if the place is still there or not.  I did see one business listing for it but I couldn't find any other information regarding the hotel. 

This postcard was sent back in 1970.  Here is another pic of the place: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hollywoodplace/8708044389

Rix Gins

Not in my collection but I wish it was.  A cool postcard showing Betty Brown's Diner Restaurant in Austin Texas, circa 1982.  I couldn't find any info on the place so am not too sure if it is still in existance.  I do know this much, I would have loved to have eaten there.

Rix Gins

Another postcard from the Seashore Trolley Museum.

Rix Gins

Here is the James River Bridge.  I think it has been replaced since the postcard was produced.

Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_River_Bridge

Rix Gins

A restaurant inside the famous Palmer House in Chicago.  I'm not too sure if this particular restaurant is still inside the building.

It is now called the Palmer House Hilton, to be more precise.

Info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Palmer_House_Hilton

Rix Gins

Not in my collection but I wish it was.  The Kay Lyn Motel in Richland, Georgia.  I read a couple of online reviews of the place.  One person thought it was a nice place to stay for the price, while another thought the establishment was dirty and questioned whether the staff had changed the sheets or not.  Judging by the postcard, I would have given the motel a chance but I guess it's all academic because when I looked it up I could only find the building below at its current address.  Definitely not a big motor motel there anymore.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 23, 2018, 08:12:58 PM

Not in my collection but I wish it was.  The Kay Lyn Motel in Richland, Georgia.  I read a couple of online reviews of the place.  One person thought it was a nice place to stay for the price, while another thought the establishment was dirty and questioned whether the staff had changed the sheets or not.  Judging by the postcard, I would have given the motel a chance but I guess it's all academic because when I looked it up I could only find the building below at its current address.  Definitely not a big motor motel there anymore.

Nice mix of colonial-revival and modern kitsch Rix!  Looks like there's not much business as of 2016

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.0935789,-84.6687959,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sEulPLQzcm5FvvTg6phR5-w!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DEulPLQzcm5FvvTg6phR5-w%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D143.67477%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Rix Gins

Ha, that's definitely the place.  I think I got the wrong address from reading these reviews...
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35219-d270934-Reviews-Kay_Lyn_Kourt_Motel-Richland_Georgia.html.

The last review is dated 2016 as you have noted.  I wonder how much that bellhop took in in tips back in the 1950's? 

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 23, 2018, 08:32:35 PM
Ha, that's definitely the place.  I think I got the wrong address from reading these reviews...
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35219-d270934-Reviews-Kay_Lyn_Kourt_Motel-Richland_Georgia.html.

The last review is dated 2016 as you have noted.  I wonder how much that bellhop took in in tips back in the 1950's?

Oh yeah the bellhop is great, as is the thing that looks like a mural maybe in the lobby?  I've been driving around Richland GA for a while; looks like a sleepy hot southern afternoon and I'm trying to find a place with cold moon pies hahaha

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 19, 2018, 02:38:38 PM

Not in my collection but I wish it was.  A cool postcard showing Betty Brown's Diner Restaurant in Austin Texas, circa 1982.  I couldn't find any info on the place so am not too sure if it is still in existance.  I do know this much, I would have loved to have eaten there.

http://www.threadgills.com/#locations-section
https://www.amazon.com/Threadgills-Restaurant-Original-Vintage-Postcard/dp/B00PB9FETM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Threadgill#Threadgill's_Tavern
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Osbourne_Wilson

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 23, 2018, 08:42:26 PM
Oh yeah the bellhop is great, as is the thing that looks like a mural maybe in the lobby?  I've been driving around Richland GA for a while; looks like a sleepy hot southern afternoon and I'm trying to find a place with cold moon pies hahaha

Love those banana moon pies.

Rix Gins

A typical comic pin up postcard from the 1950's most likely.

Rix Gins

Here is a postcard showing the flames on Market Street in San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake.  Courtesy, by the way, of old William Randolph Hearst himself.  The publisher must have hired someone to paint some earthquake depictions for his newspapers.  When I bought this card I thought that it was a reproduction but according to my magnifying glass, it has a copywrite date of 1906, thus making this card possibly one of the oldest in my collection.

But still I wasn't convinced that the card was that old, until I went online and found one just like it.  The one online is a used postcard and it has a 1907 postal cancellation date on it.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 25, 2018, 04:54:29 PM
Here is a postcard showing the flames on Market Street in San Francisco after the 1906 earthquake...

Nice find, Rix!  It kind of looks like one of those artist-enhanced photographs they used back then, but doesn't match one I've seen before.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 25, 2018, 05:04:44 PM
Nice find, Rix!  It kind of looks like one of those artist-enhanced photographs they used back then, but doesn't match one I've seen before.

Thanks, K.  This card was up for bid several weeks back and when I bid on it, I was bidding on what I thought was a reproduction of an old card.  I kind of think that everyone else thought so too because my initial bid of fifty cents wasn't challenged.  I'm keeping a lookout for other cards in the series, now.  haha

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 10, 2018, 03:54:52 PM

Not in my collection but I wish it was.  A nice, cheesy pic of the Imperial 400 Motel in Seattle, Washington.  Not sure if it's still there.  The Space Needle is still there, of course.  I once lived in Seattle for about five months.  Lots of fond memories of the place.

I didn't know you lived here, Rix!  It is still here; driven past it many times.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6218353,-122.3437707,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sM_8_iSeRthMWBvytLz8nHQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 25, 2018, 05:22:52 PM
I didn't know you lived here, Rix!  It is still here; driven past it many times.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6218353,-122.3437707,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sM_8_iSeRthMWBvytLz8nHQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

My goodness, K, it's great to know that the building is still there.  Thank you so much for the update.  Yes, I have lived up and down (and back up again) the great West Coast.  As far as Seattle goes, I hitchhiked there a couple days after graduating from high school.  Got a job at the IHOP on Madison Ave. and found a nice apartment on John Street.  I had been there for the World's Fair as a kid and ever since then, I had always wanted to go back.  Fun times.     

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 25, 2018, 05:41:25 PM
My goodness, K, it's great to know that the building is still there.  Thank you so much for the update.  Yes, I have lived up and down (and back up again) the great West Coast.  As far as Seattle goes, I hitchhiked there a couple days after graduating from high school.  Got a job at the IHOP on Madison Ave. and found a nice apartment on John Street.  I had been there for the World's Fair as a kid and ever since then, I had always wanted to go back.  Fun times.   

Ha I am only too familiar with that IHOP from 3AM fine dining in my younger days  8)  Good to know our paths have crossed in space, if not in time.

I wish I was alive for the fair; my folks always talked about it and the relicts were all around of course, and we had this record (it kind of scared me as a kid):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgHwLzci2PY

Rix Gins

I am tickled pink that you visited the restaurant.  It used to run till 11:00 pm when I was there.  I closed the place up each night.  In fact, I would exit out the back storage door and once, when I locked it up, two plains clothed police offices came along and thought I was trying to break in.  I was able to persuade them that I worked there.  The owner was a cool Italian dude by the name of Angelo Citoli.  He hired me on the spot because they were short handed.  He showed me how the dishwashing machine worked and then puffed his chest out and proudly announced, "I started out as a busboy!"  Oh, and that is a very cool record.     

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 25, 2018, 08:06:50 PM
I am tickled pink that you visited the restaurant.  It used to run till 11:00 pm when I was there.  I closed the place up each night.  In fact, I would exit out the back storage door and once, when I locked it up, two plains clothed police offices came along and thought I was trying to break in.  I was able to persuade them that I worked there.  The owner was a cool Italian dude by the name of Angelo Citoli.  He hired me on the spot because they were short handed.  He showed me how the dishwashing machine worked and then puffed his chest out and proudly announced, "I started out as a busboy!"  Oh, and that is a very cool record.   

Awesome story, Rix!  When I frequented it, it was an entertaining mix of the bar crowd and indigents.  I will go back soon for old time's sake.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 25, 2018, 08:32:46 PM
Awesome story, Rix!  When I frequented it, it was an entertaining mix of the bar crowd and indigents.  I will go back soon for old time's sake.

Oh, that would be so cool.  I'll be with you in spirit.  I recently visited their website and noticed a wooden partition running down the middle of the dining area. It wasn't there when I worked there.  I think there are still some side booths situated in the hall that leads to the dishwashing room.  A couple of uniformed police officers used to sit there and pour whisky into their glasses of coke.  I always thought it was kind of cool that they trusted me to keep my mouth shut about it. haha

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 25, 2018, 08:44:37 PM
Oh, that would be so cool.  I'll be with you in spirit.  I recently visited their website and noticed a wooden partition running down the middle of the dining area. It wasn't there when I worked there.  I think there are still some side booths situated in the hall that leads to the dishwashing room.  A couple of uniformed police officers used to sit there and pour whisky into their glasses of coke.  I always thought it was kind of cool that they trusted me to keep my mouth shut about it. haha

Oh the bad old days haha!  Yes it is kind of cramped in the main room with that wall.  That hallway is kind of weird (iirc the bathrooms are back that way too), but I guess necessary since it's so long and narrow.  Never got pancakes, but the sausage, biscuits and gravy sure tasted good after abusing my liver all night.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on May 25, 2018, 08:57:33 PM
Oh the bad old days haha!  Yes it is kind of cramped in the main room with that wall.  That hallway is kind of weird (iirc the bathrooms are back that way too), but I guess necessary since it's so long and narrow.  Never got pancakes, but the sausage, biscuits and gravy sure tasted good after abusing my liver all night.

It's funny how you're posts are making me remember certain occurrences there.  I recall one night when a man walked into the dishwashing station and his head was just totally wet.  "You better do something about that damn urinal." he said, sputtering water out of his mouth.  After he left, I went to investigate and pushed the urinal flusher.  Sure enough a jet of water sprayed out the top of it.  Then I noticed that the entire flush/plunger mechanism had been twisted around.  I turned it back to the correct position and it didn't leak anymore.  Somebody in the guy's party had apparently sabotaged it in order to get his buddy all wet. haha     

Rix Gins

A "Best Wishes" postcard from 1914.  Not a hundred percent sure, but I think those are roses.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on May 25, 2018, 09:14:13 PM
It's funny how you're posts are making me remember certain occurrences there.  I recall one night when a man walked into the dishwashing station and his head was just totally wet.  "You better do something about that damn urinal." he said, sputtering water out of his mouth.  After he left, I went to investigate and pushed the urinal flusher.  Sure enough a jet of water sprayed out the top of it.  Then I noticed that the entire flush/plunger mechanism had been twisted around.  I turned it back to the correct position and it didn't leak anymore.  Somebody in the guy's party had apparently sabotaged it in order to get his buddy all wet. haha     

Hahaha good story, Rix!  That is a new one on me.  I remember the bathrooms being much in demand; in fact, the place was often so crowded we had to wait outside for a table.  Whoever decided to keep it open made a good call, though I feel sorry for the hard-working staff.