• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Value Of Pi

Quote from: ge30542 on June 24, 2016, 01:34:45 AM
EVERY man should have red pantyhose in his wardrobe. That, and a simple black dress.

I am expecting to find these things, and more, in the men's department any day now. They may already be there. Come to think of it, is there any point in having a separate men's department any more?

ge30542

Quote from: Value Of Pi on June 24, 2016, 01:42:07 AM
I am expecting to find these things, and more, in the men's department any day now. They may already be there. Come to think of it, is there any point in having a separate men's department any more?
Touche Pi, excellent retort, excellent.

COguy

Quote from: TigerLily on June 21, 2016, 08:57:15 PM
Ahhh.  A breath of fresh air. 8)  But now what are we gonna complain converse about?  :-\

The weather of course.

VOTE FOR ME WITH THE BLOOD OF CHILDREN

malliard

sure if you want to fly me out... i can be at the meeting

Quote from: malliard on June 24, 2016, 06:41:58 PM
sure if you want to fly me out... i can be at the meeting

Jim,

You also should have The Bobo on as a guest. 

starrmtn001

Quote from: Value Of Pi on June 24, 2016, 01:42:07 AM
Too bad we're not talking.  There is some great material here.

TigerLily

Someone somewhere recently posted about an upcoming interview with Art. Does anyone have info on this?
Sorry I couldn't make this any more vague

Element 115

Quote from: TigerLily on June 25, 2016, 11:28:17 AM
Someone somewhere recently posted about an upcoming interview with Art. Does anyone have info on this?

http://thebellphiles.com/podcast/episode-11-the-art-bell-interview/

Element 115

Quote from: TigerLily on June 25, 2016, 11:28:17 AM

Oh sorry, you said upcoming, the interview above already commenced.

Element 115

Quote from: TigerLily on June 25, 2016, 11:33:00 AM
Thanks, El. But it was an upcoming show. I think non-Bellgab related

Roger that, not sure then. I will keep my eye out though.

TigerLily

Quote from: Element 115 on June 25, 2016, 11:32:25 AM
Oh sorry, you said upcoming, the interview above already commenced.
lol  We are experiencing a time slip or in an echo chamber

Element 115

Quote from: TigerLily on June 25, 2016, 11:35:58 AM
lol  We are experiencing a time slip or in an echo chamber

lol

bobo17

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 24, 2016, 06:49:32 PM
Jim,

You also should have The Bobo on as a guest.

all
i would be honoured to participate.
i could give an update on the plans for the MEETING
give people specifik info to contact me for aranging MEETING transport, food and lodging requirements ( i would like to keep my privacy, so better to do it there).
let me know when the program is on and the number to call

lets make radio great again
bobo

Dateline

I am jetting into Vegas next weekend.  Cheers to Bobo!

Value Of Pi

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 24, 2016, 10:08:45 PM
Too bad we're not talking.  There is some great material here.

We had some negative stuff going on, but not to the point of being on my no-talk list. The issue I'm having with MV, in contrast, is much, much more serious and intractable, with or without talking. Talking doesn't always help.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: ge30542 on June 24, 2016, 01:48:08 AM
Touche Pi, excellent retort, excellent.

It's coming. We used to just have "big and tall men"  and non-big-and-tall men. Now we have in the mix men with large busts (Manzier customers), men with extra large hips, men who need a tighter fit in the crotch, men with smaller feet and hands, etc.

The men's department is therefore an outdated concept. With today's technology, people will go to the store and plug in their physical characteristics in order to be directed to one place or another for the clothing and shoes that will fit them correctly. Likewise with styling, since people with one body type or another will have different self-assigned gender identities with associated tastes and style preferences.

Welcome to the 21st century. Going around naked would be an understandable reaction to all this progress.

CornyCrow

Women's clothing seems to have gotten much tighter these days.  Some women on tv appear as though they've raided their daughter's closet.  It's not a graceful look and does not appear to be comfortable.

I notice that they are doing the same thing to men.  Suits are cut much tighter.  Pant legs ride high when they sit down.  Arms appear cramped and fabric looks stingy when jackets are buttoned. 

The fashion industry must make money some way.  Constantly changing the 'look' of what's 'in' is just manipulative and people shouldn't fall for it.   

albrecht

Quote from: Segundus on June 25, 2016, 04:59:24 PM
Women's clothing seems to have gotten much tighter these days.  Some women on tv appear as though they've raided their daughter's closet.  It's not a graceful look and does not appear to be comfortable.

I notice that they are doing the same thing to men.  Suits are cut much tighter.  Pant legs ride high when they sit down.  Arms appear cramped and fabric looks stingy when jackets are buttoned. 

The fashion industry must make money some way.  Constantly changing the 'look' of what's 'in' is just manipulative and people shouldn't fall for it.   
Not to mention the quality seems to be getting worse, which shouldn't be the case as we develop new technologies. But I have suits, coats, etc that I've had for a decade and they are just fine but you buy some of the new shirts and they are faded or worn-out quickly. I don't know if intentional (so you have to buy more or a result of moving those jobs, materials, and production overseas and using inferior practices and materials?

Value Of Pi

Quote from: Segundus on June 25, 2016, 04:59:24 PM

You're right about the fashion industry, of course. And aside from trying to dictate style, my suspicion is that they were way ahead of their time in terms of making lots of men's clothing that didn't fit men properly and women's clothing that didn't fit women properly. We've all had the experience of trying things on and asking "Who in the world would this stuff fit?".

Well, in this new, multi-genderized world, lots of those badly-fitting clothes are going to fit someone very well. Men, for example, who happen to be in women's bodies might not find the suits you talk about too tight since their torsos are smaller and likewise with the cramped arms problem.

So, while shopping for clothing was never fun for many people, I predict that it's going to become even less fun.

akwilly

Quote from: albrecht on June 25, 2016, 05:46:50 PM
Not to mention the quality seems to be getting worse, which shouldn't be the case as we develop new technologies. But I have suits, coats, etc that I've had for a decade and they are just fine but you buy some of the new shirts and they are faded or worn-out quickly. I don't know if intentional (so you have to buy more or a result of moving those jobs, materials, and production overseas and using inferior practices and materials?
even more than clothing I find the new vehicles to suck. I have a 1990 GMC Sierra pickup. I can change the starter in about 5 minutes. My brother has a brand new car that has to have half the front end taken off to get it changed. I also spill beer and whatnot in my truck. If he spilt something in his dash, with all the electronics, I think his car would be totaled

albrecht

Quote from: akwilly on June 25, 2016, 06:00:49 PM
even more than clothing I find the new vehicles to suck. I have a 1990 GMC Sierra pickup. I can change the starter in about 5 minutes. My brother has a brand new car that has to have half the front end taken off to get it changed. I also spill beer and whatnot in my truck. If he spilt something in his dash, with all the electronics, I think his car would be totaled
I tend to agree with you but having said that I find the modern vehicles are a bit more reliable but so much more to fix when they do break and the cram so much "stuff" in a small space it makes having to tear so much apart to fix some basic thing (like you mentioned.) And you add 'computer' problems and so many more potential electric problems to chase down some short or something. Even changing out a bulb is a pain in the ass on some models. And all of those "conveniences" and bells and whistles just means more things that can break. The commercials for the latest GMC pickups bragging about adjusting suspension etc as you drive makes me think of how more complicated it will be to replace parts or work on it.

akwilly

Quote from: albrecht on June 25, 2016, 06:06:16 PM
I tend to agree with you but having said that I find the modern vehicles are a bit more reliable but so much more to fix when they do break and the cram so much "stuff" in a small space it makes having to tear so much apart to fix some basic thing (like you mentioned.) And you add 'computer' problems and so many more potential electric problems to chase down some short or something. Even changing out a bulb is a pain in the ass on some models. And all of those "conveniences" and bells and whistles just means more things that can break. The commercials for the latest GMC pickups bragging about adjusting suspension etc as you drive makes me think of how more complicated it will be to replace parts or work on it.
my brother got a new Subaru. I bet him that his car won't even come close to making the milage of my truck (269000). Even if it does I will beat him on the repair costs and parts.

albrecht

Quote from: akwilly on June 25, 2016, 06:13:30 PM
my brother got a new Subaru. I bet him that his car won't even come close to making the milage of my truck (269000). Even if it does I will beat him on the repair costs and parts.
Yep, and he, likely, has a car payment every month. Although they claim to be against I could see the mfg actually supporting all these environmental laws because it forces them to mfg vehicles to meet those new MPG and exhaust standards- so more expensive, harder to repair, and more parts to break, etc.

ItsOver

Not all of today's clothes suck.  Bcg t-shirts.  Very comfortable, moisture-wicking.  Lightweight, 94% polyester, 6% spandex, with a very soft, silk-like feel.  If you get a stain, just spray with a stain remover and wash, like new.  Damn things seem indestructable, much better than cotton, around $8 - $10 a shirt.

WOTR

Quote from: TigerLily on June 25, 2016, 11:33:00 AM
Thanks, El. But it was an upcoming show. I think non-Bellgab related
So, you are either looking for a fictional show, or an unimportant show...

akwilly

Not only do new autos suck but so do newer small airplanes. I used to fly a Cessna 150. That little bastard was tough as nails. Now when I see these float planes crashing around here they are usually the newer turbo props. The new planes cost 10 times the amount to redo every 500 hours as the ones made 40 or 50 years ago and still are no more reliable or safer.

norland2424

Quote from: akwilly on June 25, 2016, 06:31:19 PM
Not only do new autos suck but so do newer small airplanes. I used to fly a Cessna 150. That little bastard was tough as nails. Now when I see these float planes crashing around here they are usually the newer turbo props. The new planes cost 10 times the amount to redo every 500 hours as the ones made 40 or 50 years ago and still are no more reliable or safer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u662CkHMLwQ