• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ian Punnett

Started by sillydog, April 06, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

What do you listen to when you can't take C2C anymore?

Nothing
Mainstream talk radio
Progressive talk radio
Music
TV
Podcasts

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on December 16, 2008, 05:22:43 PM
I guess I just haven't heard (all) what you have heard - because HAD I heard some of that - I would not like it either. Is this because I don't listen to every word?  Because I haven't been a c2c fan as long as many of you?  Because I am, myself, a "liberal Christian" with a similar background to Ian's and therefore he may say or imply things that fly by me because I'm just to used to it?  The answer is likely, in part "all of the above." 

That said - I also think, when I read critics of Ian's who come down hard on the Christan thing, that they are projecting negitive associations that don't really apply.  :Shrug:  - dunno for sure.

Here is what I think on these points:

he has not done one show where he does not bring it up,

I'd be hard pressed to come up with a show where he did not bring it up - true enough.  But, so what?  It's something he's been working very hard on for a very long time and is a big part of his life.  Sometimes 9though i know that this is not usually the case) it's a matter of "in the interest of full disclosure" (ie: he wants to be up-front about his bias) sometimes it's just his interest. I have never gotten the impression that he was pushing Christianity on anyone.

he has show derision for other religions he deems unworthy,

Unworthy how?  If by that you mean either narrow or not well informed - well - yeah.  I see that.  But I also DO that.  Episocopalians are - for the most part - well educated folk who are often not as acepting as they coud be of those who opperate on pure faith - sans the academic slant.

Not Chistian, how?  I've never heard Ian make light of ohter's religion.  But I don't know how to diffentiate between religion and weirdness to somene who has made the statemetn (understandbly - though I don't compely agree) that all religions are cults. While i understand there are overlap points -there are more differnces that similarities IMO. 

I was just compairing the "pet intrrest" part.

[/]
I give you credit and much earned respect for you admitting a lot of faults of your religion and all of ours really as human kind, I like you am guilty of most of them. You take me to task for pointing out that ALL, yes, ALL religions are cults. It is you whom have taken that in a negative connotation, did you look up the definition of the word cult, do not take my word for it look it up if you like to find my basis for such a statement.

The educated statement made is a little disturbing and telling to me personally, but I may be taking that wrong and if so I apologize to all. However, I have known many a religious person who knew or knows more about the bible and religion than Ian or any other "well educated" follower of dogma.

"Unworthy how?  If by that you mean either narrow or not well informed - well - yeah.  I see that.  But I also DO that." Like I said I respect you for your admission but for you to do it is one thing for Ian a supposed member of the well educated leadership is another.

Art was smart enough to stay away from religion for the most part and when he did he balanced it out. I would have more respect for Ian if he maybe had another religious proponent on and he discussed religion, however, Ian does not discuss religion as he is blinded by one.

There are more than one road that leads to your home just as there are many paths that lead to god, does it really matter how you get there just as long as you get there?

Frys Girl

Sunday night Ian made a stupid joke about one of my idols, Keith Olbermann. He compared the dumb shoe thrower in Iraq to Keith. I lost a lot of respect for Ian. He's not Rush Limbaugh and he shouldn't try.

EvB

QuoteI give you credit and much earned respect for you admitting a lot of faults of your religion and all of ours really as human kind, I like you am guilty of most of them. You take me to task for pointing out that ALL, yes, ALL religions are cults. It is you whom have taken that in a negative connotation, did you look up the definition of the word cult, do not take my word for it look it up if you like to find my basis for such a statement.

I'd like to reply to this and the rest of the related post more carefully and fully, but can't right now. I have less that 72 hours to prepare for a very heavy final and write a term paper. (same class - weighty subject)

I understand using terms in a broad sense - I use the word "myth" the same way - and refer often to "Christian myth" and "religious myth" which does not mean I don't think they have truth, meaning or value. I'll look up "cult" and think that one over. Damn - for a site that can look hateful on the surface - we sure do spend a lot of time being very kind - and enlightening toward each other - don't we?   

As for the education thing - you are quite right; I said that badly.  I'm sorry.  I not only participate in a denomination that values education in the traditional academic sense (as well as personal experience - but we just don't tend to TALK about thast as much) - I live in an academic community.  Talk about getting lost in your own context!  I DO agree that education takes many forms and faith based upon personal experience and investigation have a particular value of it's own.  In fact, at the end of the day personal experience, which can only have meaning to me, is what my own faith is based on. 

Now - back to The Social Impact of Advertising.  Interesting - but damned depressing at times.  He is my prof's site if you want to share my angst: http://www.sutjhally.com/

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on December 17, 2008, 01:59:14 PM
I have less that 72 hours to prepare for a very heavy final and write a term paper. (same class - weighty subject)

for a site that can look hateful on the surface - we sure do spend a lot of time being very kind - and enlightening toward each other - don't we?   

As for the education thing - you are quite right; I said that badly.  I'm sorry.  I not only participate in a denomination that values education in the traditional academic sense (as well as personal experience - but we just don't tend to TALK about thast as much) - I live in an academic community.  Talk about getting lost in your own context!   
I went to the site and can feel your angst very much, wow, a paper and a final in 72 hrs I can say I do not miss those stressful days/nights, I do miss the classes and discourse though.
The reason I think most of us are civil with each other though we may disagree, be of different races and or creeds is BECAUSE GEORGE NOORY SUCKS! I fell better now thank you.
When you  talk about an academic community I hear you I live within site of Cornell and all its wonders, I like it though it can be great. You want brownie points with your prof? Ask him if Ph.D stands for piled higher and deeper or piled higher than dog shit, hahhahhaha. I had a dual Ph.D tell me that she is a great person and one of my hero's. Good luck to you and all students with finals you will be fine relax and write what you know it will come.

broruss

Quote from: Centurion73 on December 16, 2008, 10:04:42 AM
He is well into stage 3 of Noorettes disease, Ian has progressed nicely and may surpass that of his master George. I mean Ian the magnificent is surely bright enough to know better, just ask him he will tell you how bright he is, you know, when he is not busy watching football or working on his 1970 hemi Baracudda, oh I mean his manly yugo.

Noorette's Disease! That's priceless. Your comments have caused me to reflect upon one of the main differences between Ian and George. I imagine both of them like football, but Ian watches his sporting events on TV on the weekends (while preparing his little homilies and sermonettes that have more references to Marvel Comics characters than biblical characters), while George watches replays of the games events while he's actually live on the air and pretending to listen to lonely truckers and alcoholic housewives talk about being attacked by a Ouija board or a shadow person when they were 7 years old or whatever.

I wonder if Ian ever mentions Coast to Coast and drops names of guests while he is up at that lectern in front a smattering of smug suburban provincials on Sunday morning wearing his ridiculous clerical getup. "You know folks, these words of Our Lord, as he warns us of the wiles of Satan in this powerful passage from St. Matthew, reminds me a little bit of something May Pang said to me on the phone the other day about Yoko Ono. It was at the top of the third hour when May said to me ..." blahda blahda blahda....

Centurion73

Quote from: broruss on December 17, 2008, 09:53:21 PM
Noorette's Disease! That's priceless. Your comments have caused me to reflect upon one of the main differences between Ian and George. I imagine both of them like football, but Ian watches his sporting events on TV on the weekends (while preparing his little homilies and sermonettes that have more references to Marvel Comics characters than biblical characters), while George watches replays of the games events while he's actually live on the air and pretending to listen to lonely truckers and alcoholic housewives talk about being attacked by a Ouija board or a shadow person when they were 7 years old or whatever.

I wonder if Ian ever mentions Coast to Coast and drops names of guests while he is up at that lectern in front a smattering of smug suburban provincials on Sunday morning wearing his ridiculous clerical getup. "You know folks, these words of Our Lord, as he warns us of the wiles of Satan in this powerful passage from St. Matthew, reminds me a little bit of something May Pang said to me on the phone the other day about Yoko Ono. It was at the top of the third hour when May said to me ..." blahda blahda blahda....
OH WOW, funny $hit right there that is straight $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! The Centurion bows to the Primus Pilus. This powerful passage from St. John Hunt, reminds me... dude I am not even going to try and top that, cant be done, funny shit bro.

Centurion73

I present you Ian "Corky" Punnett courtesy of MV. Since I am computer tard if someone could photoshop Ian's glasses on there they be twins.

mikemcc

I'll just add my .02 here, for what it's worth. Keep in mind that I don't read Ian's blog and I haven't seen or heard anything about the Tillman controversy so I know nothing about that.

IMHO, Ian is pretty intelligent and he can conduct an interview better than lots of folks on radio. He's not the greatest I have heard, but he's far from the worst. My biggest problem with Ian is that he just doesn't seem onboard with the original C2C program format. I mean, he likes cryptozoology and he'll talk about a few conspiracies (witness his recent JFK show and his promises of an upcoming RFK show), but that's about it. I have nothing against people who like comic books, but I stopped reading them when I was a kid and I just don't find that topic particularly interesting. And maybe I'm off-base here, but I find it hard to believe that a really high percentage of the C2C audience is that interested in comic books. I dunno... maybe I'm wrong about that. And I enjoy shows about rock stars once in a while -- I lost a good part of the hearing in one ear because I like R&R so much for god's sake -- but enough is enough. I'll listen to just about any show that has R. Gary Patterson, but other than that, I wish Ian would cool it with the R&R shows. Too much of a good thing gets old pretty fast. And that show with Jesus as his guest, while it might have been charming in other contexts, just was not C2C fare... 

The thing that is different about Ian, as compared to George, is that Ian will challenge his guests when those guests make unusual or controversial comments. Nothing wrong with controversy, as far as I am concerned -- that's what makes talk radio in general so interesting. Art used to challenge his guests as well. So I don't mind Ian calling someone on the carpet, and that includes Steve Quayle. I used to like Quayle a lot and always made sure to listen to any show he was on -- even if it was with George. But he really has become a one tune jukebox. I'm not even saying he's wrong, but enough is enough. If we will within a couple of months be at the point where gold has become valueless and the only currency is ammunition, then I'll do pretty darned well in that new economy.

But we have heard it all before, and, for my part, I'm glad we did. I hope this doesn't sound utterly ridiculous, but based on C2C guests -- including Steve Quayle -- I took all of my retirement money out of equities in late April and that saved me a TON. While everyone else around me watched their retirement funds reduced by ~45%, mine declined by only 2% and that's only because bonds tanked at the same time as equities (that's not supposed to happen) and real estate was also down, though not nearly so much as equities. So I'm glad we have guys like Quayle. I paid attention and they saved my ass.

But I don't think that means that Quayle should expect to get a free ride and that's what he's used to on C2C because he is always on with George. Unless I am mistaken, that interview with Ian was his first, or at least his first in a very long time. And I really didn't think Ian was ridiculously confrontational -- it seemed like he wanted to engage in a dialogue and Quayle wasn't having any part of it. He wanted to say what he wanted to say and he didn't want to be challenged. He wanted to be interviewed like he is when he talks to George. I think it was stupid for Ian to apologize the following week because it did not seem to me that an apology was warranted -- it's a TALK SHOW, not a SOAPBOX.

One more thing -- and this is not just a jab at Quayle, but lots of other folks, like that disclosure guy (uhhh... how could I forget his name? It's right on the tip of my tongue. Oh well, probably a mini-stroke -- I'm getting to be about the right age...) -- but how many dinners with generals and TOP OFFICIALS can these guys have? I swear to god that every time I hear guests throw around the "inside scoop" they received from a general or a senator or a UN ambassador, I just want to hurl. I almost always look askance at newspaper articles or television reports that display an over-reliance on "unnamed sources." I do understand that anonymity is sometimes required, but since when does a reporter or a guest get to use those kinds of sources as the ONLY evidence upon which they base their claims? Quayle seems to be the worst offender in this regard. Or maybe not... It could be that I am just in my normal pre-Christmas bad mood...     

EvB

Well said mikemcc - you are I are more or less on the same page here; but that's not the main reason I live your post.  You remind me to make some effort in posting, and not just shoot off badly typed lines with lousy grammar.

mikemcc

Quote from: EvB on December 19, 2008, 01:31:46 PM
Well said mikemcc - you are I are more or less on the same page here; but that's not the main reason I live your post.  You remind me to make some effort in posting, and not just shoot off badly typed lines with lousy grammar.

I like your posts just fine the way they are EvB!

Centurion73

Quote from: mikemcc on December 19, 2008, 12:12:31 PM
My biggest problem with Ian is that he just doesn't seem onboard with the original C2C program format... I have nothing against people who like comic books, but I stopped reading them when I was a kid...I enjoy shows about rock stars once in a while- but enough is enough... I wish Ian would cool it with the R&R shows. And that show with Jesus as his guest, while it might have been charming in other contexts, just was not C2C fare... 
But I don't think that means that Quayle should expect to get a free ride... He wanted to be interviewed like he is when he talks to George...   
Thank you that was a very well thought out and balanced post and I agree with most of it. I agree that Quayle should not get a free pass, Ian was rude though he could have been more tactful but he is human and we all screw up now and then. His weekly book chat leaves me nothing to look forward to wish he would throw something else in once in a while, but unlike George Ian usually reads a book or at least the liner notes. Nice comments and glad to hear your opinion, thanks.

EvB

QuoteHis weekly book chat leaves me nothing to look forward to wish he would throw something else in once in a while, but unlike George Ian usually reads a book or at least the liner notes.

I can understand that - but - as you said in a different way, at least he's prepared.

Ian's shows are my favorite shows as of late.  He's got the most varied topics, or at least his topics can be the farthest away from C2C norm.  I don't love all his topics, but compared to the weekly line-up of shows over the last couple months (although the last 2 weeks had a few cool shows) they seem more interesting , to me at least.  Maybe I wouldn't feel that way if the weekly shows weren't the same 15 guest and 10 topics regurgitated ad nauseum.

mikemcc

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on December 20, 2008, 12:06:36 PM
Ian's shows are my favorite shows as of late.  He's got the most varied topics, or at least his topics can be the farthest away from C2C norm.  I don't love all his topics, but compared to the weekly line-up of shows over the last couple months (although the last 2 weeks had a few cool shows) they seem more interesting , to me at least.  Maybe I wouldn't feel that way if the weekly shows weren't the same 15 guest and 10 topics regurgitated ad nauseum.

Oh that's absolutely on target. I don't mind hearing repeat guests on repeat topics that are interesting. But the M-Th shows really have become nothing but the same people and topics over and over again. I have got to believe that there are plenty of people out there who could make great contributions to the show. I don't know how much this has to do with George and how much it has to do with the producers. I would love to be a producer for C2C -- all I would have to do is pick up the phone and call the same folks and invite them to the show week after week. I don't know what is going on; maybe the show has such high ratings that it warrants keeping around a low-talent host like George and producers who only produce the same show over and over again.   

Centurion73

Quote from: mikemcc on December 21, 2008, 01:24:26 PM
...  maybe the show has such high ratings that it warrants keeping around a low-talent host like George and producers who only produce the same show over and over again.
I think they got Snoory and Ian cheap that is why they stay with them. According to some figures from a court case Art was in in 2000 under oath he stated he had at that time 9 million listeners a week and 480 stations. According to Clear Channels website Noory has under 3 million a week this year. So Noory has caused a loss of approx 6 million listeners a week, go George.

Note to Ian and Noory: Listen to Knapp and learn how to do an interview!

Centurion73

Ian took offense to Scientific findings of a "God" Part or site in the human brain. The "Educated"Ian suggested anti to the theory that "maybe it's a receiver" instead of a projector? This can only lead one to believe that Ian has not read the studies and findings, is not "educated" enough to understand them or is once again manipulating information to align with HIS views.

Note to the brilliant Ian: If it was a "receiver" of God as you stated and not organic then why the difference in what people "receive" I.E. religions, messages, beliefs?

EvB

QuoteIan took offense to Scientific findings of a "God" Part or site in the human brain.

Was this on a recent show?  I must have missed it - since that topic is one that would have caught my attention. If you remember when - I'd love to see if i can get a copy of that show - or at least that part of it.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on December 27, 2008, 01:08:22 AM
Was this on a recent show?  I must have missed it - since that topic is one that would have caught my attention. If you remember when - I'd love to see if i can get a copy of that show - or at least that part of it.
Was just on first half hour of the show. He also just would not answer a callers questions about religion and free will, caller asked if he (Ian) believed in it and why? Then Ian pulled a Noory acted like the caller was gone. Ian opened that door tonight and then once again when challenged about it and using C2C for his pulpit he shrinks away from a fair question.

Centurion73

Ian had to dig these two up when he was hanging out at the comic book store after riding his vespa and wearing his riding leathers (assless chaps). Gnomes working at Starbucks, no wonder the service fucking sucks, they like to work where there is change dropped, WTF? Who the fuck picked these two mental fucking midgets (no offense to little people) Noory pick this one? Makes me want to hear a Sonny Bono show again, I would rather listen to and watch the Shamwow guy for 4 hrs because compared to this shit Shamwow is like mensa material. 

EvB

I kinda like the gnome that did his laundry in one of these guy's hot tub.

And, oh - elfs don't make shoes anymore - but they can fix your techno gear.  ;D

Centurion73

I was hoping someone caught the hot tub clothes washing Gnome other than myself I thought I was having auditory hallucinations. I know this was a Noory plot he it would have been the only interview he would nail ever. Was it me or did Ian read the Noory question cards or did he just give up because these guys paid the fee to Clear Channels for their infomecial time?

EvB

QuoteWas it me or did Ian read the Noory question cards or did he just give up because these guys paid the fee to Clear Channels for their infomecial time?

Ian seemed to fluctuate through the night, between real interest (even if just in the fantasy of it all), barely disguised amusement, and "Awww COME ON!" 

But, you and I have different ideas of what kinds of questions were Nooryesqe. I liked the Nazi Gnome question.  Others seemed like grasping at straws.  But I would not have lasted more than 30 minutes with these guys. It wasn't just their topic, it was their presentation.  WAY over the top.

Centurion73

Quote from: EvB on December 28, 2008, 11:48:12 AM
Ian seemed to fluctuate through the night, between real interest (even if just in the fantasy of it all), barely disguised amusement, and "Awww COME ON!" 

But, you and I have different ideas of what kinds of questions were Nooryesqe. I liked the Nazi Gnome question.  Others seemed like grasping at straws.  But I would not have lasted more than 30 minutes with these guys. It wasn't just their topic, it was their presentation.  WAY over the top.
It seemed he was asking Noorish questions you know moron level, I was waiting for "could they be angles" I agree they were, how to put it, um, "flamboyant" to say the least. The Gnomes get the guys baggage to him and stop the belt for him because the want to do nice things for people? I was hoping Ian would say what about the people they hold up doing that for you is that nice to them? But Ian was I will say stunned by their "flamboyancy" it was kind of funny in a way, they are def Noory guest in a week or so.

Boomer

Great...I see this fat little weasel is doing the Jan 1 and 2 shows, one is on predictions. I'm gonna call in and predict that Obamfart announces that he's the Real Jesus and Mesiah and save all our asses from this global economic mess we're in.

Hell...why don't they just give us a guest host (refreshing) instead of dragging us through this idiots diatribe. http://www.jesussucks.com/

Centurion73

Quote from: Boomer on December 29, 2008, 09:49:28 AM
Great...I see this fat little weasel is doing the Jan 1 and 2 shows...

Hell...why don't they just give us a guest host (refreshing) instead of dragging us through this idiots diatribe. http://www.jesussucks.com/

Boomer, why do you have to insult little fat weasels like that?

Frys Girl

Since I got my streamlink back up, I've got to say.....IAN PUNNETT SUCKS! George Knapp is the big daddy.

Centurion73

Last night at the end Ian was saying how great the south is and that it teaches manners and respect unlike the great unwashed masses of those in the north and his delusional guest agreed saying how gentile and correct the south is. I guess Ian forgot about Slavery that was about respect and manners right Deacon Ian?

Centurion73

Shit, he has not only infected weekends now the vileness has metastasized into the week nights as well.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Centurion73 on January 02, 2009, 10:40:45 AM
Last night at the end Ian was saying how great the south is and that it teaches manners and respect unlike the great unwashed masses of those in the north and his delusional guest agreed saying how gentile and correct the south is. I guess Ian forgot about Slavery that was about respect and manners right Deacon Ian?
I purposely don't listen to Ian anymore. Like George, he sucks ass. But he's a different kind of suck.

As for these generalizations about the South. What the hell is he talking about? Shut the hell up Ian. I've met tons of jerks from the South AND North. He needs to turn on the lights when he broadcasts and use his brain.

Centurion73

Quote from: Frys Girl on January 02, 2009, 11:19:03 AM
I purposely don't listen to Ian anymore. Like George, he sucks ass. But he's a different kind of suck.

As for these generalizations about the South. What the hell is he talking about? Shut the hell up Ian. I've met tons of jerks from the South AND North. He needs to turn on the lights when he broadcasts and use his brain.

Ian is a more dangerous kind of suck than Noory because Ian hides behind and uses a the fake guise of religion to do his evil.

Great observation that there are jerks on both sides and in the middle as well and with false values being placed on entire sections of geography and deeming them as being more moral or respectful than others just by the mere fact of geography is insane.

Ian has had his brain removed and replaced by dogma that was written by Man (humans) and purported as being the words of a unknown, unseen, vengeful god of hate.