• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Nice Little Facts

Started by MV/Liberace!, June 20, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

Hautex

Quote from: Hog on May 06, 2016, 01:27:09 PM
On Sept 13, SR-71 Pilot Captain Harold B. “Buck” Adams and his backseater RSO (reconnaissance systems officer) Major William C. Machorek flew a SR-71-A from London, England to Los Angeles, USA in 3 hours, 47 minute and 39 seconds.  The flight covered 5,447 statute miles, and required 2 arerial refuellings, thus brought its average speed down to 1,35mph.

2 weeks before, on September 1, 1974 Major James V. Sullivan, 37 (pilot) and Noel F. Widdifield, 33 (reconnaissance systems officer) went from New York to London in 1 hour 54 minutes and 56.4 seconds.  It required only a single aerial refueling, so its average speed was higher at 1,807mph.

Everytime a SR-71 had to refuel, it had to slow from around 2,200mph down to about 300mph, and descend from an altitude of about 80,000ft down to 25,000ft to meet up with waiting tankers. The SR-71 had to stay at that low speed for about 20 minutes as that's how long it took to load the jet with its 80,000 pounds of specialized JP-7 fuel.  The SR-71 took on so much fuel, that the pilot had to actually light one of the engines afterburners in order to keep up with the tanker during the last 2-3 minutes of the 20 minute refueling. At full military power(engines at max power without afterburners-or dry max thrust) there wasn't enough thrust to maintain speed with the tanker.  After the Sr-71 was filled, the pilot pulled to the side, went to max throttles, engaged both afterburners 100%, and pushed the nose down in order to make the trans sonic portion of the flight as short as possible.  Once supersonic, the SR-71 pulled up and accelerated and climbed up to 75,000ft the cruise climbed up to 80,000+feet and Mach 3.2+.

The JP-7 jet fuel was used as a heat sink to cool the jet and its engines. It was also used as a hydraulic fluid. Until the jet had made a hot run, or had a period of time above Mach 2.8, the jet leaked fuel and the fuel tanks wouldn't seal 100% until the airframe had been heated during the "hot run". The "hot run" would cause the airframe to expand by 7 inches. The canopy reached 600ºF and the wing leading edges reached 1100ºF.  Ity is often said that the plane elaked fuel so bad that it had to refuel from a tanker immediatly after takeoff.  Well yes it did have to refuel right after takeoff, but that was because the SR-71 only took off with 45,000lbs of fuel, or about 1/2 a full load.  This was done for a few reasons: 1) If during takeoff, an engine failed, the jet becomes unmanageable when trying to takeoff on a single engine, having 1/2 a tank of fuel helps to make this single engine out takeoff envelope easier to manage.b) During testing an 80,000 pound fuel oad was used, and the mechanics noticed increased wear and damage on the tires and landing gear. Being a Delta wing plane, as the jet rotates to liftoff, extra forces is applied to the already taxed landing gear. The landing gear was designed to be lightweight, the extra fuel load didn't do it any favours.  After the testing phase, the SR-71 used the 45,000 pound fuel load for takeoff with a scheduled tanker refueling right afterwards.  Then the SR-71 would light the burners, dip its nose, break the sound barrier and accelerate/climb to 16 miles up and 3 plus times the speed of sound as its Standard Operating Procedure.
If aluminum was used to build the plane, it would have heated up then failed, so a certain alloy of Titanium was used. This certain alloy was a "softer" type of Titanium so that is was "easier" to machine. The Titanium was bought from the Soviets through companies setup via the CIA. Massive quantities were needed. To this day, there are millions of dollars of raw Titanium in storage along with hundreds of millions of dollars of parts inventory.  The actual tooling used to build the major airframe components were ordered destroys by Robert McNamara in the late 60's.  This was done so that the Interceptor version of the SR-71, the YF-12 could never be manufactured.  There were 3 YF-12's built with only 1 surviving in a museum. 1 crashed and was destroyed, the other crash landed, and its tail section was mated with an SR-71 test articles front fuselage to make the only SR-71-C model.  It was aid that this C model wasn't exactly straight when the grafted the 2 pieces together.  It was nicknamed "the Bastard", because at over Mach 3 the airframe would yaw ever so slightly requiring trim corrections to fly straight.  The YF-12 was designed to fire missiles and it had the front of its chines removed in order to house the radar that was used to identify and shoot down targets.
The original Blackbird was the CIA A-12, this is the smallest and lightest of all the Blackbirds.  Its full fuel load is only  An A-12 has flown at 94,800 ft in altitude. This is just under 18 miles, straight up.  Brian Schull a former SR-71 pilot the author of Sled Driver(the SR-71 Pilots called their jets, sleds) wrote that there was a time that he was trying to avoid missiles that were fired at his SR-71. He saw Mach 3,5 on his Mach meter, yet his CIT(Compressor Inlet Temperature was within the mandated 427º maximum.  The max CIT of 427ºC was the max CIT that the makers of the J-58 engines would guarantee their engines for.  Anything higher than that and the engine could destroy itself. The cooler the atmospheric temperatures, the faster the Sr71 can travel before this CIT becomes a factor.  In CITs were exceeded the Pilots career path would abruptly change.  Exceeding this temp was a no-no.  For the final record run for the SR-71, a maximum CIT of 450ºC was authorized, but wasn't approached during the record run.
There were 13 A-12's built and 2 M-21's built. 3 YF-12s built, and 32 SR-71s
The M-21 which stands for Mother, launches the D-21 drone(D stands for Daughter).  The M-21 would launch the D-21 while travelling at Mach 3+ and the drone would fly across China or the Soviet Union, the when it was done, the data package would separate from the Drone body and then parachute its way down, but a C-130 Hercules would snatch the parachute out of the air before it hot the ground.  This was the exact same way in which the US would recover its spy satellite film canisters that returned to Earth.
It should be noted that non of the Blackbirds have ever flown over Russia or the Soviet Union.  The SR-71 would skirt its borders at 80,000+ft and use its powerful spy equipment to look at a slant angle deep into her borders.

Here is a video of a M-21 attempting to launch a D-21 at over Mach 3.  The video is being taken from another Blackbird.  The Pilot and the backseater (called a LCO in the M-21- stand for Launch Control Officer)eventually ejected, but the LCO had opened his visor and water streamed into his pressure suit causing him to drown.
This video is narrated by the creator of the Blackbirds and the U2, Kelly Johnson, the M21-D21 project was cancelled after this accident.  The D-21 was then launched from B-52 bombers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMyC2urCl_4

The ejection seats and the pressure suits worn by the crew were used for the first 4 Space Shuttle missions aboard Columbia and for the manned portion of the Approach and Landing Test (ALT-where the launched Enterprise from the top of a modified 747 jet) aboard Enterprise.  During Sts-1,STS-2,STS-3 and STS-4, as Columbia crossed the 100,000ft mark, the CAPCOM(CAPsule COMmunicator) would say "Columbia Negative Seats"  this meant that at that point, Columbia was too high to use the ejection seats in case of a contingency.  Ejecting from Columbia or any of the Blackbirds was followed by a long and cold controlled-freefall down to 15,000ft where the main chutes deployed. Depending on how high you were upon ejection, the fall could take 10 minutes.

At 7:07 of this video you get a great shot of the air spikes moving into the engine.  During flight, the spikes move inwards about 27 inches which position the supersonic shockwave just within the entrance of the engine.  Anytime the shockwave is uncontrolled and comes out of the engine intake is a condition called an "unstart". Its a violent and immediate lost of thrust, and causes yawing as the opposite engine is still in afterburner producing big thrust. If one engine unstarts, the other engine also sometimes would unstart.
At 2;10 of this video(and again at 7:06 you get a nice closeup), you can see the shots of TEB(triethylborane) which burn in a greenish flame. TEB combusts on its own when exposed to oxygen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk7DLUxIp1w

It was used to both start the engines, and to ignite the afterburners whenever the throttles were lifter UP and pushed forward.  Each jet had enough TEB for 16 shots per engine. 1 engine start, 1 to light the burners on takeoff, another when coming off the tanker.  So you have used 3 already and you have just left the tanker.  The SR-71 cruises with the J58's in afterburner. They actually get more efficient in regards to pounds of fuel per mile travelled, the faster the jet travels.

Aluminum aircraft "work harden" and eventually become brittle and have to be taken out of service.  The Titanium that the Sr-71 is made of actually becomes stronger after each flight because the Titanium airframe retempers itself after each "hot pass" above Mach 2.8.

Over 4,000 missiles were fired at the Blackbird family, but none were ever hit.  These planes fly at about 3200 feet per second, handgun bullets travel at about 800-1200 fps, a .308 Winchester bullet travels at 2800 fps, so the SR-71 Blackbirds were literally "faster than a speeding bullet"

So many "Nice Little Facts" is such an "Awesome Little Plane".

peace
Hog
Every Wednesday, I would plan to be next to plant 42 so I could see the SR-71's take off. They had to fuel the plane on the tarmac because it leaked so bad. When plane reached speed and altitude, with the accompanying heat, the metal expanded and sealed the fuel tanks. When it was retired on March 6, 1990, I parked myself on Sierra Hwy, at the end of the runway, to witness the tribute to this fantastic vehicle as it left to set a still unbroken record for a trip from the west coast to the east coast. They did demos of a B-1 bomber and U-2 spy plane before the SR-71 took off, and circled back to buzz the crowd at low altitude with full afterburners.... heart stopping presentation.

MR. Spock

Quote from: HAUnted TEXan on May 23, 2016, 08:42:57 PM
Every Wednesday, I would plan to be next to plant 42 so I could see the SR-71's take off. They had to fuel the plane on the tarmac because it leaked so bad. When plane reached speed and altitude, with the accompanying heat, the metal expanded and sealed the fuel tanks. When it was retired on March 6, 1990, I parked myself on Sierra Hwy, at the end of the runway, to witness the tribute to this fantastic vehicle as it left to set a still unbroken record for a trip from the west coast to the east coast. They did demos of a B-1 bomber and U-2 spy plane before the SR-71 took off, and circled back to buzz the crowd at low altitude with full afterburners.... heart stopping presentation.
Have you checked out the Blackbird Air Park that is by Plant 42? It has the SR-71 and the A-12 next to each other and its cool.

cosmic hobo

Quote from: MR. Spock on May 23, 2016, 08:45:45 PM
Have you checked out the Blackbird Air Park that is by Plant 42? It has the SR-71 and the A-12 next to each other and its cool.

You're making this too easy for me.

You'd know all about SR-71 wouldn't you?

Hautex

Quote from: MR. Spock on May 23, 2016, 08:45:45 PM
I wish... But I have not been back to the high desert since 1993. Loved that area, but I went where the company needed me. Peace

akwilly

Never in history has a woman with big boobs died alone

effluenza

There are 3 active Falkie threads on bellgab which is almost 3 more active threads than on Falkie's forum.

Hautex

Like it or not, you will leave an impression on every single person you deal with. The quality of that impression is completely up to you.....

Hautex

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 30, 2016, 10:49:19 PM
There is such a thing as a butt load.

http://factually.gizmodo.com/butt-is-an-actual-unit-of-measurement-1622427091
So,  If I go to the bar do I now need to ask to drink from a butt of whiskey? I see some serious potential issues if that happened in a Texas bar....

GravitySucks

The USS Constitution, built in 1794, is the only active ship in the US Navy to have sunk an enemy ship.

Tutankhamun had a space dagger: Blade found beside ancient Egyptian boy king's mummy was made from a METEORITE

-Scientists used x-ray scans to analyse the blade of Tutankhamun's dagger
-It was found inside the boy king's sarcophagus beside his right thigh
-Study found the iron blade contained high levels of nickel and cobalt
-Chemical composition matched that of a meteorite found in Maras Matruh

When the tomb of Tutankhamun was discovered nearly 100 years ago in the Egyptian desert, the treasures found inside had an other-worldly quality to them that captured the global imagination.
But new research has discovered that one of the items found alongside the mummified remains of the young ancient Egyptian pharaoh really is from out of this world.
Analysis of a dagger, intricately decorated and encased within a golden sheath, has found the blade was made from iron from a meteorite.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3619841/Tutankhamun-space-dagger-Blade-ancient-Egyptian-boy-king-s-mummy-METEORITE.html

akwilly

American Indians sex is intents.

Lilith

There is only ONE forum: Bellgab, and MV is its' Leader.

Praise MV!

So Say We ALL!

Hautex

"That's an "E" Ticket"  That was a saying we had years ago and is sometimes heard today if you're talking to your folks or grand parents. It comes from the old Disneyland Ticket books you purchased at the gate. More expensive rides and adventures needed an "E" ticket, where the Teacups would only need an "A". If you ran out of the "E's" it could break your folks wallet to buy more.

MV/Liberace!

Nine people died in the Great London Beer Flood of 1814.

starrmtn001

Quote from: HAUnted TEXan on June 14, 2016, 12:58:19 PM
"That's an "E" Ticket"  That was a saying we had years ago and is sometimes heard today if you're talking to your folks or grand parents. It comes from the old Disneyland Ticket books you purchased at the gate. More expensive rides and adventures needed an "E" ticket, where the Teacups would only need an "A". If you ran out of the "E's" it could break your folks wallet to buy more.
Forgive me, Tex, but the saying is; "It's an E Ticket Ride."  I used it frequently back in the day.  I still do occasionally. ;D

I.e. "The End Of Days is going to be the REAL "E Ticket Ride." :o ;D

littlechris

Quote from: cosmic hobo on May 23, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
You're making this too easy for me.

You'd know all about SR-71 wouldn't you?

You keep going on and on and on. Give it a rest already.

Gruntled

Quote from: MV on June 14, 2016, 01:38:31 PM
Nine people died in the Great London Beer Flood of 1814.
Dam MV!
You"re killing me with your avatar.
:o

Hautex

Quote from: starrmtn001 on June 14, 2016, 01:52:02 PM
Forgive me, Tex, but the saying is; "It's an E Ticket Ride."  I used it frequently back in the day.  I still do occasionally. ;D

I.e. "The End Of Days is going to be the REAL "E Ticket Ride." :o ;D
Had to shorten the saying because I haven't dated in awhile.... At least you're getting some occasionally.. ;)

cosmic hobo

Quote from: littlechris on June 14, 2016, 02:41:23 PM
You keep going on and on and on. Give it a rest already.

Says the guy who has been stalking and harassing Falkie for 3 years.

Hog

In order to save metal during the WW2, the RAF (Royal Air Force) built approx. 13,000 aircraft drop tanks that were made of paper mache, with wooden anti-slosh baffles inside.

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbird-articles/necessity-mother-invention-paper-drop-tanks-wwii.html

peace
Hog

whoozit

Elephants, in general, have long noses.  This prevents them from being mistaken for mice.

akwilly

Jody Foster only pretends to be gay so that no more presidents get shot.

mikuthing01

$8 Ozark Trail tumblers at walmart are made by the same factory that makes YETI and RTIC tumblers that cost $30. Any of the 3 will keep your drink cold (or hot) for 24 hours but Ozark Trail tumbler will save you $22

Hog

Hummingbirds heart rates can approch 1300 beats/min(22/sec) and they double their body weight to cross the Gulf of Mexico(800km)

peace
Hog

Quote from: whoozit on June 29, 2016, 02:30:54 PM
Elephants, in general, have long noses.  This prevents them from being mistaken for mice.

:)

The Zone Rouge (English: red zone) is a chain of non-contiguous areas throughout northeastern France that the French government isolated after the First World War. The land, which originally covered more than 1,200 square kilometres (460 sq mi), was deemed to be physically and environmentally too damaged by the conflict for human habitation. Rather than attempt to immediately clean up the former battlefields, the land was allowed to return to nature.

The "zone rouge" was defined just after the war as "Completely devastated. Damage to properties: 100%. Damage to Agriculture: 100%. Impossible to clean. Human life impossible".

Under French law, activities such as housing, farming or forestry, were temporarily or permanently forbidden in the zone rouge...The area is saturated with unexploded shells (including many gas shells), grenades, and rusty ammunition. Soils were heavily polluted by lead, mercury, chlorine, arsenic, various dangerous gases, acids, and human and animal remains. The area was also littered with ammunition depots and chemical plants.

Each year dozens of tons of unexploded shells are recovered. According to the Sécurité Civile agency in charge, at the current rate no fewer than 700 more years will be needed to completely clean the area. Some experiments conducted in 2005â€"06 discovered up to 300 shells/10,000 m2 in the top 15 cm of soil in the worst areas.

(Sauce: Wikipedia)