• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Howard Stern

Started by Marc.Knight, March 17, 2011, 10:47:57 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: henge0stone on August 26, 2015, 07:49:05 PM
The whole thing is really lame, thought he went to XM to be uncensored but now he censors himself worse than the terrestrial stations ever did.

The FCC was his greatest ally in building tension/controversy. Since "The Revolution" began in '06, it's him who has buried, if not deleted, his old un-PC material. Like his OJ trial opinions. Those shows are far down the Memory Hole. Disgraceful sell out.

Howard Stern is still alive?

I prefer to think he died when Artie left the show. It's easier that way.

chefist

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 26, 2015, 09:06:07 PM

I about blew out an intestine when I saw Artie on the short lived Joe Buck show!

Morgus

Quote from: bateman on August 26, 2015, 05:52:49 PM
This show must be miserable to listen to now.

http://pagesix.com/2015/08/21/the-woman-responsible-for-howard-sterns-pc-behavior/

Interesting. Sounds like Howard is planning on following Art Bell's lead to subscription internet broadcasting too...

QuoteInsiders say Turk has persuaded Howard to take the show to iTunes, Pandora or Spotify when his five-year contract with Sirius expires in December.
“If they can get 1 million subscribers, all paying $12 a month, they’re looking at $144 million a year,” my insider said, “with Howard pocketing $85 to $100 million after overhead.”

henge0stone

Quote from: VoteQuimby on August 26, 2015, 09:06:07 PM

Agreed! The show is so liberal now its sickening to listen to. I have a lot of liberal ideas too but my god Howard used to think for himself. The whole show is built around his don't give a shit sense of humor, now he just has no balls or guts and is too scared to say retard. Heck a guy had a cat named retard on Art's show last night! So MITD is officially less censored than howard. 

Eddie Coyle

Remember the FCC defying Howard Stern? Well if you're under 30, not really. But here's a terrific piece of literature from his gold-digging porkchop faced shiksa. Order a copy today.

Eddie Coyle

June 20, 1995. This aired across Infinity stations without issue. Just another show of the Stern canon of that era.  Can't imagine it even being on satellite these days without repercussions.

http://youtu.be/sOV9J1rT4Y4

bateman

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 09, 2015, 02:13:13 PM
   June 20, 1995. This aired across Infinity stations without issue. Just another show of the Stern canon of that era.  Can't imagine it even being on satellite these days without repercussions.

http://youtu.be/sOV9J1rT4Y4

Also consider Anthony Cumia's Twitter tirade that got him fired from Sirius - he was doing Robin Leach narration about being "nigger rich" on WNEW and who knows how many terrestrial affiliates with zero repercussions just a decade or so prior:

http://mfi.re/listen/ooxv3prapdo0oab/Opie_%26amp%3B_Anthony_-_Spaz_spent_night_at_St._Regis.mp3

(15 min mark)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on September 09, 2015, 04:57:22 PM
Also consider Anthony Cumia's Twitter tirade that got him fired from Sirius - he was doing Robin Leach narration about being "nigger rich" on WNEW and who knows how many terrestrial affiliates with zero repercussions just a decade or so prior:

http://mfi.re/listen/ooxv3prapdo0oab/Opie_%26amp%3B_Anthony_-_Spaz_spent_night_at_St._Regis.mp3

(15 min mark)

A good deal of O&A's material from 1995-2002 falls into the "wow, you could get away with that back then" category. The Sex for Sam firing reminds me of when Tommy gets shot in Goodfellas and Henry's narration says "It was revenge for Billy Batts...and a lot of other things". O&A got canned for more than pissing off fat Bill Donahue.

bateman

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 09, 2015, 06:25:17 PM
   A good deal of O&A's material from 1995-2002 falls into the "wow, you could get away with that back then" category. The Sex for Sam firing reminds me of when Tommy gets shot in Goodfellas and Henry's narration says "It was revenge for Billy Batts...and a lot of other things". O&A got canned for more than pissing off fat Bill Donahue.

I'm not sure that's true - they were a cash cow for Infinity at the height of their careers in '02. Stern's heir apparent. Sex for Sam was sponsored by Sam Adams, approved by lawyers, and done more than once. I also think Infinity would've preferred having them on the air so they could reap the ad revenue rather than bench them and still have to pay out their $6 mil+ contract for another 2 years.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on September 09, 2015, 08:36:04 PM
I'm not sure that's true - they were a cash cow for Infinity at the height of their careers in '02. Stern's heir apparent. Sex for Sam was sponsored by Sam Adams, approved by lawyers, and done more than once. I also think Infinity would've preferred having them on the air so they could reap the ad revenue rather than bench them and still have to pay out their $6 mil+ contract for another 2 years.

I always wondered how much Stern's complaints to Karmazin about them factored in. He hated their hiring to begin with, and unlike most of his radio enemies(Imus,Mancow,Greaseman) he almost never mentioned their name. They were the first real "threat" to him. When they mentioned that Page Six blind item about Stern's daughter's "adventures" at a party in late 2001, supposedly Stern wanted them fired right then.

bateman

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 09, 2015, 08:48:33 PM
    I always wondered how much Stern's complaints to Karmazin about them factored in. He hated their hiring to begin with, and unlike most of his radio enemies(Imus,Mancow,Greaseman) he almost never mentioned their name. They were the first real "threat" to him. When they mentioned that Page Six blind item about Stern's daughter's "adventures" at a party in late 2001, supposedly Stern wanted them fired right then.

He had it out for them from day one. When Infinity brought them to NY in 1998, the thinking was to put them on in the afternoons at K-Rock. Which would've made it a powerhouse of a station, but the yenta in AM drive put the kibosh on that idea, so they ended up at 23rd place WNEW with a different yenta named Carol Miller.

https://youtu.be/bhQ3cifzFCA

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on September 09, 2015, 09:05:40 PM
He had it out for them from day one. When Infinity brought them to NY in 1998, the thinking was to put them on in the afternoons at K-Rock. Which would've made it a powerhouse of a station, but the yenta in AM drive put the kibosh on that idea, so they ended up at 23rd place WNEW with a different yenta named Carol Miller.

Ha! Carol Miller still using those 1978 press photos? I knew by early '97 they wanted out of WAAF(which barely had a signal in Boston), and was surprised it took until April, 1998 for them to finally escape. I didn't realize Stern killed their gig in '98. Stern was already paranoid about them, WAAF had a tv program on Friday nights on the mostly Spanish station in Worcester. Anthony would do a pretty good impersonation of Stern on that show and Stern found out about it and threatened to sue the station.

O&A should be proud of this. I know of at least 2 books: "FM" by Richard Neer, and Carter Alan's book about WBCN, that lay the "deaths" of their station at their feet. Neer really hates them personally, and the WBCN book says the addition of their show lead to more talk/less music.  Which actually began in March '93 with Stern being added(on from 7pm to 12a from 3/2/93 to 3/29/96...and it was awesome at night-even on a 12 hour delay)and the Patriots going to WBCN in '95...

Though the WBCN book does say that David Lee Roth's disaster was the worst thing to ever happen to the station.

bateman

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 09, 2015, 09:27:01 PM
   Ha! Carol Miller still using those 1978 press photos? I knew by early '97 they wanted out of WAAF(which barely had a signal in Boston), and was surprised it took until April, 1998 for them to finally escape. I didn't realize Stern killed their gig in '98. Stern was already paranoid about them, WAAF had a tv program on Friday nights on the mostly Spanish station in Worcester. Anthony would do a pretty good impersonation of Stern on that show and Stern found out about it and threatened to sue the station.

O&A should be proud of this. I know of at least 2 books: "FM" by Richard Neer, and Carter Alan's book about WBCN, that lay the "deaths" of their station at their feet. Neer really hates them personally, and the WBCN book says the addition of their show lead to more talk/less music.  Which actually began in March '93 with Stern being added(on from 7pm to 12a from 3/2/93 to 3/29/96...and it was awesome at night-even on a 12 hour delay)and the Patriots going to WBCN in '95...

Though the WBCN book does say that David Lee Roth's disaster was the worst thing to ever happen to the station.

You mean this?  ;D

https://youtu.be/B9s2xv6AMEg

bateman

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 09, 2015, 09:27:01 PM

Oh god... After that disaster with a capital D, they flipped back to K-Rock in '07, which is when I was hired. I did my show out that studio (the old Stern studio) which had a $20k window with motorized blinds installed for Diamond Dave.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on September 09, 2015, 09:36:46 PM
You mean this?  ;D

https://youtu.be/B9s2xv6AMEg

Fuckin' Beautiful! Like's 1996 all over again. The rest of that show was awful thanks to the talentless WAAF hacks, but I'd watch just hoping to see Ant do that.

It was great timing to mock Stern, too. His "Hollywood Howie" phase was just underway and getting worse with each week of filming Private Parts.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on September 09, 2015, 09:38:37 PM
Oh god... After that disaster with a capital D, they flipped back to K-Rock in '07, which is when I was hired. I did my show out that studio (the old Stern studio) which had a $20k window with motorized blinds installed for Diamond Dave.

The dry run for that show happened the previous spring on the CBS-owned classic rock station WZLX in Boston. He hosted their morning show for a week and it sucked. But CBS still went with him, despite WZLX people openly voicing their concern about his unwillingness to even learn the basics. And not communicating with anybody during the week

The extravagant spending on DLR's show was obscene. The motorized blinds being a perfect example, the "tv talk show" decor...for a radio show nobody could see. Tons of food for the "green room" that would go uneaten. What a weird motherfucker.

bateman

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 09, 2015, 09:51:41 PM
   The dry run for that show happened the previous spring on the CBS-owned classic rock station WZLX in Boston. He hosted their morning show for a week and it sucked. But CBS still went with him, despite WZLX people openly voicing their concern about his unwillingness to even learn the basics. And not communicating with anybody during the week

The extravagant spending on DLR's show was obscene. The motorized blinds being a perfect example, the "tv talk show" decor...for a radio show nobody could see. Tons of food for the "green room" that would go uneaten. What a weird motherfucker.

Oh the dumbassery didn't end there. The next PD came from Hot 97. No rock programming experience.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on September 09, 2015, 10:02:06 PM
Oh the dumbassery didn't end there. The next PD came from Hot 97. No rock programming experience.

Jesus. If previous employment has "Hot" or "Kiss" in the title, then rock PD should never be considered. The "Hot 96.9" Boston is cursed with is believed to have a roughly 80%+ female listenership. Chubby white girls listening to P Diddy pushing a stroller in the projects.

bateman

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on September 09, 2015, 10:13:36 PM
   Jesus. If previous employment has "Hot" or "Kiss" in the title, then rock PD should never be considered. The "Hot 96.9" Boston is cursed with is believed to have a roughly 80%+ female listenership. Chubby white girls listening to P Diddy pushing a stroller in the projects.

I have no idea what the thinking was there. She used to call me into her office to check out some new song. It was always garbage like Seether or 3 Doors Down or some other completely forgettable dreck. But being 22 year-old "just happy to be here" guy I kept my mouth shut for the most part. She was fired within a year but the music got even worse. By 2009 I was playing Van Halen, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Aerosmith every. goddamn. hour. I'm not kidding. They had no idea what to do so they just copied the Q104.3 playlist. K-Rock was an abortion by the time they got done with it.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: bateman on September 09, 2015, 10:26:38 PM
I have no idea what the thinking was there. She used to call me into her office to check out some new song. It was always garbage like Seether or 3 Doors Down or some other completely forgettable dreck. But being 22 year-old "just happy to be here" guy I kept my mouth shut for the most part. She was fired within a year but the music got even worse. By 2009 I was playing Van Halen, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Aerosmith every. goddamn. hour. I'm not kidding. They had no idea what to do so they just copied the Q104.3 playlist. K-Rock was an abortion by the time they got done with it.

You just perfectly summed up WBCN's last decade. Bouncing from every tired genre, going from alternative to classic rock to active rock, with declining ratings each quarter. Playing Jewel for a month, switching to Stain'd, pretending they never played Jewel. Then play Eminem or The Roots out of some "we're street, too!" idiocy.

Playing Motley Crue next to Nirvana in 2008, knowing full well they thought Nirvana killed off Motley Crue in 1991, yet all those years later, having to play them back to back without irony.

Bavarian Joe

I suppose all the stuff Stern did with Ike Turner went down the memory hole. Joking about the little lady getting smacked around isn't as popular as it used to be.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Bavarian Joe on September 14, 2015, 07:31:30 PM
I suppose all the stuff Stern did with Ike Turner went down the memory hole. Joking about the little lady getting smacked around isn't as popular as it used to be.

"Hoo hoo, Jackie wrote those bits...uh, I think Billy West must have said those things. It wasn't me, Robin. Tell 'em, Fred"

Even DICE got pissed at Stern for making an Ike Turner/wife beating reference(Feb, 1994) and they argued on air and Dice wasn't on again until March 1996. Stern calling him "Andrew Nice Clay" just trying to win friends in Hollywood.

Within 2 years, the Hollywood Howie phase begins. Where he kissed more ass than Dice ever could.

henge0stone

I got quoted on the main page! This is better than getting employee of the month.  8)

Bavarian Joe

Speaking of WBCN, why did they let Charles Laquidera hang around as long as he did. I know Stern claimed that he didn't want the morning slot out of respect for Chuckie.

The Big Mattress is the reason I started listening to AM talk radio. That's right, he drove me to Claprod and Witless.

Stern hated O&A because he had to get off his ass and work for a change. Osric the Usurper, grown old and sated...

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Bavarian Joe on September 17, 2015, 06:34:50 PM
Speaking of WBCN, why did they let Charles Laquidera hang around as long as he did. I know Stern claimed that he didn't want the morning slot out of respect for Chuckie.

The Big Mattress is the reason I started listening to AM talk radio. That's right, he drove me to Claprod and Witless.

Stern hated O&A because he had to get off his ass and work for a change. Osric the Usurper, grown old and sated...

Ha! Marjorie and Pat Wigsley. Cancer throat and the king of the Kowloon(apologies to Andleman) leading up to Jerry Williams latest sex survey.

Apparently Laquidara was still making them money and there's a story that Chuck agreed to step aside to newly acquired WZLX after a few months, but then Stern no showed their 25th anniversary party in March '93(after saying he would show) and whined on air about being on at night. Laquidara supposedly deciding to stay on WBCN a little longer as a fuck you to Stern. A little longer ended up being nearly 3 years. As Chuck confused Soundgarden with Alice in Chains and Alice in Chains with Jane's Addiction.

Bavarian Joe

I never knew that in regard to Chuck. Figures Howard would screw the pooch like that.

I liked Jerry Williams. He was a lot smarter than he let on. Gene Burns as well. Now there was a tale. The bizarre interregnum when they tried just about anyone in that slot. First it was Howie Carr, who did well, but scared the execs, so they hired Victoria Jones, and then settled on Tom Leykis. Which might have worked, except for that whole using his wife's head for a Duraflame log thing.

Now, it's just a wasteland.

And Greg Hill laughs his ass off, knowing he's the last man standing. Kinda like Howie Winter...

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Bavarian Joe on September 17, 2015, 07:42:17 PM
I never knew that in regard to Chuck. Figures Howard would screw the pooch like that.

I liked Jerry Williams. He was a lot smarter than he let on. Gene Burns as well. Now there was a tale. The bizarre interregnum when they tried just about anyone in that slot. First it was Howie Carr, who did well, but scared the execs, so they hired Victoria Jones, and then settled on Tom Leykis. Which might have worked, except for that whole using his wife's head for a Duraflame log thing.

Now, it's just a wasteland.

And Greg Hill laughs his ass off, knowing he's the last man standing. Kinda like Howie Winter...

Very strange relationship with Stern/WBCN, in his nearly 13 years on WBCN he never once made a visit to the station(Baba Booey and Jackie however were frequent visitors) and apparently grew to despise Odeipus. But in the early days(93-95) the King of All Media did supposedly fear having Laquidara and his sponsors turn on him, so for all his whining, he never went after Chuck by name. And spoke effusively about Sandusky, I mean Parenteau...

Entercom has obliterated WRKO. Those tulmutuous early 90's days seem like halcyon days compared to the last decade. Howie was as faithful to Jerry Williams as he was to wife number 1. But that's Howie. I really thought "Jackson and Jurkowitz" had a chance at big things ::) hell, that show was bad enough to be on WRKO today.

I swore I read that Greg Hill is beating D&C and Toucher and Rich in the latest book. That's incredible.

bateman

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/howard-stern-responds-artie-lange-stuttering-john-melendez/

Quote“I know, I hear that all the time that I’m PC, that I’m politically correct,” Stern said. “All right I’m politically correct, what can I tell you?”

Quote“You’ve lived long enough to become Don Imus now,” Hanzi said, which sent Stern into a profane, pointed rant.

“F*ck off! You’re nothing, you’re nobody, you’re a loser,” Stern told him. “I make a living, I don’t live in my parents basement! I’m done with this f**king a**hole, I don’t know why even entertain him.”

Eddie Coyle

People always reference Willie Mays looking pathetic in the outfield in '73 as an example of a legend having lost his skills.

Stern in 2015 is like Willie Mays. Willie Mays in 2015, that is.