• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

ItsOver

Quote from: ShayP on June 19, 2015, 03:00:40 PM

Thank you for this.
You're welcome.  If nothing else, it was one more post for Art's thread.

CornyCrow

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 19, 2015, 01:43:06 PM
Not really. We don't have anything like syndication and affiliates, so a promising host couldn't build from something small and work his way up as Art did so successfully. It is no exaggeration to say that The BBC has a near monopoly when it comes to radio, especially American-style talk radio, of which barely anything even remotely comparable exists. You can get small low-wattage stations on the coast, say, but they will only play music. I can't see a place for Art in the UK anywhere, sadly. Also, Brits are very conservative about things like radio, and however good Art was they would find something to whine about because it wasn't home-grown content.
But there is a lot of UFO news there.  Information comes to us about ghostly activities in old buildings.  You have Druids, you have a large Theosophical contingent and a VERY old contingent of Wiccans.  There just HAS to be a huge interest in the unusual over there.  It's very sad that there is no radio to address that. 

BobGrau

Quote from: BobGrau on June 19, 2015, 03:07:43 PM

Second that. Unusual doesn't have to mean Unlikely.

This soundbite is unsatisfactory; what I mean is that the "paranormal" theme should really include 'legit' science that you don't hear about everyday.

CornyCrow

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 19, 2015, 02:31:18 PM
Yes, through the good old licence fee. Which means you have to pay (just short of 250 bucks a year would be the equivalent) just for owning a TV, whether you watch the BBC or not. I don't have a TV and they make me sign a 'declaration' every couple of years just to affirm that I don't have one, and then they warn me that they might sent an inspector round to make sure I am not a filthy liar.
There is so much that can now be viewed on the internet.  You'd think that would be taking away from the tv tax and there would be some similar charge on computers. 

CornyCrow

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on June 19, 2015, 02:52:50 PM
Insanity in the modern age. I'd go without a TV as well under those circumstances. Funny  considering that BBC World Service is free and BBC America is usually a bundled channel in the US. i.e. almost costless.
I thought BBC programming was so good and am surprised to see so much US programming, like old Star Trek episodes carried by it.
My husband says the new comedy SPY is amusing.  THe last comedy that I really liked was Yes, Prime Minister.  Orphan Black is good.  Naturally, Dr. Who - Dr. Who sometimes deals with interesting issues.   

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: CornyCrow on June 19, 2015, 03:34:49 PM
I thought BBC programming was so good and am surprised to see so much US programming, like old Star Trek episodes carried by it.
My husband says the new comedy SPY is amusing.  THe last comedy that I really liked was Yes, Prime Minister.  Orphan Black is good.  Naturally, Dr. Who - Dr. Who sometimes deals with interesting issues.

Dr. Who is good, and the BBC sometimes does some good period pieces. I watch so little TV anymore though that I rarely see any of it other than what's on Netflix.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: CornyCrow on June 19, 2015, 03:34:49 PM

'Yes, Prime Minister' was about thirty years ago. Doctor Who stopped being any good when Tom Baker hung up his scarf, which is longer ago than that. All those CG special effects they use these days look awfully cheap, it makes me pine for the wobbly sets and monsters make out of egg cartons. The BBC does have a lot to offer, but is so often throttled by bureaucracy and they try too hard to please everyone. It is no coincidence that Orwell wrote 1984 after a spell working for the BBC. 

Belated birthday wishes, Art. Remember, you are a mere 46 in hexadecimal years.  8)

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 19, 2015, 04:06:34 PM
'Yes, Prime Minister' was about thirty years ago. Doctor Who stopped being any good when Tom Baker hung up his scarf, which is longer ago than that. All those CG special effects they use these days look awfully cheap, it makes me pine for the wobbly sets and monsters make out of egg cartons. The BBC does have a lot to offer, but is so often throttled by bureaucracy and they try too hard to please everyone. It is no coincidence that Orwell wrote 1984 after a spell working for the BBC.

The sad thing is that this also describes modern Hollywood very well. In trying to please everyone, they end up pleasing no one with the resulting mediocre products.

albrecht

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 19, 2015, 02:44:31 PM
O tempora o mores!
It is so funny how even "in the good old days" people were complaining about the younger generation, societal change, etc. And how those ancient writers' and orators' work still apply to today. Do they make kids read them anymore in school? Somehow I doubt it.
haha, even Ted Cruz
https://youtu.be/GVYfPKzZY9Y

SredniVashtar

Quote from: albrecht on June 19, 2015, 04:17:00 PM
It is so funny how even "in the good old days" people were complaining about the younger generation, societal change, etc. And how those ancient writers' and orators' work still apply to today. Do they make kids read them anymore in school? Somehow I doubt it.

I think even in the ruins of Pompeii there can be found (among all the rude stuff) graffiti saying that youths these days are a hot mess and that the world has been irretrievably fucked in half. No doubt there were cave paintings along similar lines.

Mind you, the way these bloody young people can't keep their noses out of their phones for 10 seconds without getting withdrawal pisses me off no end. It wasn't like that in my day...[etc etc, degenerates into senile rambling]

albrecht

Quote from: SredniVashtar on June 19, 2015, 04:35:46 PM
I think even in the ruins of Pompeii there can be found (among all the rude stuff) graffiti saying that youths these days are a hot mess and that the world has been irretrievably fucked in half. No doubt there were cave paintings along similar lines.

Mind you, the way these bloody young people can't keep their noses out of their phones for 10 seconds without getting withdrawal pisses me off no end. It wasn't like that in my day...[etc etc, degenerates into senile rambling]
What I worry about is the younger children I know not only can't keep off their phones and computers but seem to lack any interest in how the stuff works. And when a friggin' phone is more "fun" than going outside, playing games, playing sports, fishing, going swimming, hunting, going to a museum, reading, etc we've reached a tipping point! Even the games they play seem to consist of simply pressing a place on a screen without much strategy. Though, I guess, Minecraft could be considered like Legos so maybe that is ok.

ps: Get Off My Lawn!!

I am listening to an old open lines show (not sure of the date but Hal Bop is incoming) and Art brought up how someone claimed he was a member of the trilateral commission... Later he asks a caller "if I was a member of the trilateral commission would you still love me?"

That tickeled me in a way I've never been tickeled before

MAX

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on June 19, 2015, 04:09:23 PM
Belated birthday wishes, Art. Remember, you are a mere 46 in hexadecimal years.  8)

Or 490 in dog years ... I should know being a dog...

ItsOver

Quote from: The Neverender on June 19, 2015, 06:34:30 PM
I am listening to an old open lines show (not sure of the date but Hal Bop is incoming) and Art brought up how someone claimed he was a member of the trilateral commission... Later he asks a caller "if I was a member of the trilateral commission would you still love me?"

That tickeled me in a way I've never been tickeled before
Ha!  Maybe only a little more vaguely.  ;)

Heather Wade

Quote from: MAX on June 19, 2015, 06:39:19 PM
Or 490 in dog years ... I should know being a dog...

We've got El Hefe the squirrel, Popple the hedgehog (or porcupine?), I think there's a spider around here somewhere, and a couple of skulls... point is... I dig having you around Max.   

akwilly

Quote from: (Redacted) on June 19, 2015, 07:17:40 PM

We've got El Hefe the squirrel, Popple the hedgehog (or porcupine?), I think there's a spider around here somewhere, and a couple of skulls... point is... I dig having you around Max.
You're avatar is the best redacted.. And game of thrones did a great job casting natalie dormer as her grandaughter, she looks just like a young version of miss Riggs

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: albrecht on June 19, 2015, 04:45:00 PM
What I worry about is the younger children I know not only can't keep off their phones and computers but seem to lack any interest in how the stuff works.

i knooooooow.  it really is something to see.  conventional wisdom says the younger someone is, the more they know about electronics/computers.  well, think again.  i own a computer services/repair business.  of my residental customers, most are either old or young, with few in between (i define "in between" as 30-50, give or take).  the old people don't know anything about this stuff because they simply didn't grow up with it.  the young (15-25) simply don't care and have no clue by choice.  as long as facebook loads, nothing else matters to them and they see this as the extent to which they should know anything about computing. 

there is an entire generation of technically illiterate dunces getting ready to take their place in the world. 

serenity

Quote from: MV on June 19, 2015, 07:36:12 PM

i knooooooow.  it really is something to see.  conventional wisdom says the younger someone is, the more they know about electronics/computers.  well, think again.  i own a computer services/repair business.  of my residental customers, most are either old or young, with few in between (i define "in between" as 30-50, give or take).  the old people don't know anything about this stuff because they simply didn't grow up with it.  the young (15-25) simply don't care and have no clue by choice.  as long as facebook loads, nothing else matters to them and they see this as the extent to which they should know anything about computing. 

there is an entire generation of technically illiterate dunces getting ready to take their place in the world.

Wow MV, I'm hurt.  I guess I don't fit in. Not gonna date my self but I built my first computer before I went to Woodstock. All of 8k. had to program each byte by hand. It would flash in sequence or sequencial. ( still can't spell though) State of the art back then. Yes MV my friend, there are some of us that actually know some of this stuff because we DID grow up with it, Right Art? Radio, Computers, broadcasting etc etc...yada yada.  (Feel chastized yet?)

All in fun Mike  :)

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: serenity on June 19, 2015, 08:07:37 PM
Wow MV, I'm hurt.  I guess I don't fit in. Not gonna date my self but I built my first computer before I went to Woodstock. All of 8k. had to program each byte by hand. It would flash in sequence or sequencial. ( still can't spell though) State of the art back then. Yes MV my friend, there are some of us that actually know some of this stuff because we DID grow up with it, Right Art? Radio, Computers, broadcasting etc etc...yada yada.  (Feel chastized yet?)

I read in a magazine that computers are entirely unknown to anyone born before 1951. I believe everything I read, sir.

serenity

Quote from: MV on June 19, 2015, 08:10:37 PM
I read in a magazine that computers are entirely unknown to anyone born before 1951. I believe everything I read, sir.

Thankfully I was born after, not by much but after. But your right. Most kids are appliance operators. NooBs forever

BobGrau

To be honest I don't really know how magazines work either.

serenity

Quote from: BobGrau on June 19, 2015, 08:19:13 PM

To be honest I don't really know how magazines work either.

I'm still looking for the on switch

gabrielle

Quote from: serenity on June 19, 2015, 08:07:37 PM

wonder if Art should make an Art bell game....with ghosts, aliens, thrones, swords, all of that....for the young ones.?  Beats a dating site.

serenity

Quote from: gabrielle on June 19, 2015, 08:40:54 PM
wonder if Art should make an Art bell game....with ghosts, aliens, thrones, swords, all of that....for the young ones.?  Beats a dating site.

I heard that Dave changed the name form Paranormal Date to Abby Normal Date

Aussie Dave

Quote from: jazmunda on June 18, 2015, 05:52:49 PM
You can copy the link to the trailer and paste that in an email.

"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjURLfKTwLc"

Click the symbol in the top right corner of the thumbnail of the video and share that address.

Absolutely brilliant jazmunda. Doing us convicts proud.

Lilith

Quote from: serenity on June 19, 2015, 08:19:50 PM
I'm still looking for the on switch

Oh My!  That reminded me of the old joke that used to be so prevalent back in my day.  Question "How do I turn my computer off?"  Answer "Click the Start button."

nbirnes

But who do you think invented all of this? And if we're lucky, the brain only gets better with age (and google). And granny bakes cookies for you.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: nbirnes on June 19, 2015, 09:00:06 PM
But who do you think invented all of this? And if we're lucky, the brain only gets better with age (and google). And granny bakes cookies for you.

Everyone knows this stuff was brought here by aliens who crash landed. Duuuuuuuh.