• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151204 - Art Bell Open Lines - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, December 04, 2015, 04:13:10 PM

trostol

Quote from: zeebo on December 05, 2015, 01:11:36 AM
Heck I only made it thru GRRM's book 3.   ::) :D
The TV series is better than the books. One of the few I can say that about. It holds exactly to the books though, but GRRM was a technical advisor on the production.

trostol

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on December 05, 2015, 01:18:38 AM
The TV series is better than the books. One of the few I can say that about. It holds exactly to the books though, but GRRM was a technical advisor on the production.

eh..i will disagree lol

chefist

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 05, 2015, 01:16:02 AM
He was also crucified, the highest punishment in the Roman Empire reserved for sedition, instead of stoned to death as the Jews of the period would have done. Not a great idea to try to establish yourself as a monarch in an occupied country.

It was a political killing...threat to the temple elders power...Pilot only abliged in an effort to keep the overall peace in the region...

popple

"It gave me some kind of reward"
"Well, obviously. Again and again and again"

Quote from: zeebo on December 05, 2015, 01:08:01 AM
A common sentiment as well.   ;)

Simmons tried to stay true to the original story which I admire but the story needed more character interplay...some sort of other conflict to juice up the story.  A love interest or a nasty captain.

Yeah, I know a love interest isn't really practical or believable but something needed to be done.

henge0stone

the paranormal stories have been top notch tonight bravo

Zenman

Fast Blast on Periscope would be cool, I think. Art with arms flailing and such, lol.

Catsmile

She had an experience alright, of smoking 2 packs of smokes a day for 20 years.

Like like been like... like how like lights flash like.

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on December 05, 2015, 01:12:52 AM
He really is. He wastes so much time complaining about bad audio, that to the listener, isn't that bad.

Somebody needs to point that out to him.  Let it slide unless it really is incoherent.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 05, 2015, 01:24:17 AM
Somebody needs to point that out to him.  Let it slide unless it really is incoherent.

And the ironic thing is, when I was listening to Art over the Internet in the early 90's, the sound was just awful sometimes, yet you could still understand the callers and guests usually.

It's true.  Art needs to relax his standards on the audio side.  We can hear and understand more than he realizes.

That other call about 1,000s of simultaneous orgasms brings to mind this fine lady....

Mild Bill

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 05, 2015, 01:16:02 AM
He was also crucified, the highest punishment in the Roman Empire reserved for sedition, instead of stoned to death as the Jews of the period would have done. Not a great idea to try to establish yourself as a monarch in an occupied country.

Curiously, when Pontius Pilate petitioned the crowd to release a prisoner, named Barabbas, the crowd demanded Jesus. Barabbas translates as "Son of the Master." Jesus led a failed revolt against Rome, which as you wrote, was a really bad idea and condemned him to crucifixion, with the placard nailed above his head; "Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews."

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: chefist on December 05, 2015, 01:19:17 AM
It was a political killing...threat to the temple elders power...Pilot only abliged in an effort to keep the overall peace in the region...

It had to be more complicated than that. The temple priests had every ability to have him stoned to death on the grounds of a religious transgression. That it went to the Romans was telling and so was the method of execution, crucifixion being reserved mainly for sedition. There was also Pilate washing his hands of the religious transgression argument in order to try the political crime and the fact that they placed a placard on his cross, the famous INRI, Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum, Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews to mock his claim.

He was just a political/religious subversive. A guy against the political order of the day at best, a subversive that wanted a throne at worst. As the religion grew, the Roman/Byzantine empire did away with all the subversive stuff and molded it into a compliant state religion. Internal ideas of peace are a good thing if you're an emperor hoping to keep everyone in line. There are no Christians in this world, those people died in the first century. All that we have are people that follow a mythos.

Quote from: trostol on December 05, 2015, 01:25:59 AM
long time man
You were missed as well! Been trying to call Art for a bit. I think I am black listed lol.

chefist

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on December 05, 2015, 01:29:25 AM
It had to be more complicated than that. The temple priests had every ability to have him stoned to death on the grounds of a religious transgression. That it went to the Romans was telling and so was the method of execution, crucifixion being reserved mainly for sedition. There was also Pilate washing his hands of the religious transgression argument in order to try the political crime and the fact that they placed a placard on his cross, the famous INRI, Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum, Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews to mock his claim.

He was just a political/religious subversive. As the religion grew, the Roman/Byzantine empire did away with all the subversive stuff and molded it into a compliant state religion. Internal ideas of peace is a good thing if you're an emperor hoping to keep everyone in line. There are no Christians in this world, those people died in the first century. All that we have are people that follow a mythos.

The elders were frightened of all of the followers Jesus had made...they needed Roman power to eliminate him...