• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

All-Time Best Noory Shows- May Be An Empty Topic, But Who Knows?

Started by anagrammy, July 12, 2011, 07:26:51 PM

anagrammy

A poster mentioned that a certain show certainly wasn't one of Noory's best.  Got me to wondering--does anyone out there have some Noory Classic Bests to share?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Sincerely, not a spoof.

Anagrammy

He did a show on the Zodiac killer around the time the movie came out that wasn't bad. He had a roundtable of guests and pretty much let them speak and his questions weren't dumb.

Eddie Coyle

JFK commemoration editions on Nov 22 are always good for a hoot. The six guests will offer six different theories and George will agree with them all.

anagrammy

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on July 12, 2011, 08:11:05 PM
     JFK commemoration editions on Nov 22 are always good for a hoot. The six guests will offer six different theories and George will agree with them all.

To hell with those people who think George has no opinions.  He has them all.

Ana

My favorite Noory show (in a car crash kind of way) was when he convinced a bunch of callers that the stars had extinguished themselves. I heard it a number of years ago when I was out of town and I don't remember the guest or anything else about the show except that there was about 4 or 5 callers that George totally hoodwinked.

That was the turning point of c2c for me and as such holds a special place in my heart.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: anagrammy on July 12, 2011, 09:09:29 PM
To hell with those people who think George has no opinions.  He has them all.

Ana

Exactly. Whatever opinion his paymasters want,they shall get!

I just found this while casually browsing YouTube for C2C funnies. The first part of the video, with Noory detailing the news of the day, has to be one of the most bizarre things I've heard come from Noory - yet I'm not actually surprised that he made such a mess of it:

The Best of Coast to Coast AM Whackery

Around 4:40, you'll hear another classic Noory garbled comment  ;D

That is only second to my all-time favourite Ian Punnett moment was his slurred speech call about someone "threatening a hoover."

I will return with my favourite Noory show soon. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to find one for the right reasons, though...

anagrammy

Oh, my sides!  The Shroud of Urine?????  REALLY, George?

Ana

Quote from: anagrammy on July 13, 2011, 03:53:47 PM
Oh, my sides!  The Shroud of Urine?????  REALLY, George?

Ana

Huuuuuuuuuuge roflcopters when I heard that!

Likewise;

"Well, special Coast to Coast guest Dr Rupert Sheldrake was stabbed to death a few days ago - he was giving a lecture at a historic Sante Fe, New Mexico hotel when a man rushed the stage, leaped, to try and stab Rupert, missed his chest, stabbed him in the leg"

a few seconds later...;

"Coast to Coast guest Dr Rupert Sheldrake was wounded, stabbed in the leg when an individual leaped (isn't it leapt?) at him, tried to kill him, stabbed him to death in the chest - he is, er, in a hospital and hopefully those injuries are not, life threatening, and he will heal up"

WTF?  :-\

anagrammy

Quote from: Agent : Orange on July 13, 2011, 04:16:56 PM
George's old man story was pretty awesome. A cobbler?!

Yes, and after the cobbler, he'll be stopping at the tinker's.

Glorious day-- he's younger than I am and way older.

Anagrammy

Seamus Capone

A lot of guests and/or subjects, on Noory-hosted Coasts, appealed to me. The JFK shows, on which the guest posited that the president was killed by miscreants in the pharmaceutical industry, were especially intriguing. As for Noory, I have to give him credit for saying something that was quite helpful to many people who are looking for ways to help others but don't know where to start because there are so many problems in the world that need to be addressed. He said that local acts lead to global change if we all do what we can to help those around us (paraphrasing).

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Jethro Capone on July 14, 2011, 01:11:07 AM
A lot of guests and/or subjects, on Noory-hosted Coasts, appealed to me. The JFK shows, on which the guest posited that the president was killed by miscreants in the pharmaceutical industry, were especially intriguing.

This was one of my favorites as well.

QuoteAs for Noory, I have to give him credit for saying something that was quite helpful to many people who are looking for ways to help others but don't know where to start because there are so many problems in the world that need to be addressed. He said that local acts lead to global change if we all do what we can to help those around us (paraphrasing).

But poor Noory!  You're giving him credit for recycling philosophy from a bumper sticker! 

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Lovely Bones on July 14, 2011, 06:35:49 AM
But poor Noory!  You're giving him credit for recycling philosophy from a bumper sticker! 

LOL I guess that's a step up from Chinese fortune cookies (not to be confused with the ones from Japan). And they're one step up from lines from old movies (see "Network").

El Kragen

The one that comes to mind is George's show from March 2004 featuring Wayne Green and David Booth. One of the few times I've heard George call BS on a guest and kick them off the show for good. At that time I still thought George was a decent host and doing a good job.

This is the description from the C2C website: Booth said he met Sister Lucia, now 97, at a Carmelite convent in Portugal and held a private conversation with her for five minutes. He would only reveal that he was told that a "new star" that had been prophesized about would begin to shine. Because Booth had been booked on the show to discuss his meeting with Lucia, and refused to elaborate further upon it, the interview was cut short, and the last 90 minutes of the program was reserved for Open Lines.

Both these guys were on the week prior and were brought back on after reporting this visit with the Sister. BS of course because they were just trying to sell more books and survival products. George was really annoyed wasn't shy about telling them so. He refused to talk about anything else and threatened them with the boot at the bottom of the hour if nothing was said. Green tried to change the subject by talking about what people could do to prepare. George cut him off with "NO ONE'S GOING TO BUY PLASTIC TUBES AND BURY THEM IN THE GROUND TO LIVE IN!", something he had been pushing in the last appearance. Booth suggested that he couldn't speak about what was said due to threats on his life.  George wasn't having any of it: "You were on here last week for a full show, crying, talking about your grandkids...". He rode out the 1/2 hour and sure enough they were gone after the commercial break. Wayne Green hasn't been on since and I thought the same for Booth but I saw he was on briefly in 2007. I find that somewhat surprising because the guy was a jackass but then again that version of George Noory and C2C no longer exists.

Afixer

My favorite Boory shows would be the ones he took-off and Art sat in. But seriously, he did a show way back in 2004 (July 15th) named "Musical Legends". The guest talked about how many famous rock legends died around the same age...I think it was 26 or 27 if I remember correctly. He also mentioned the infamous "crossroad" in Georgia where  famous guitar legends made a pact with the devil. That was an interesting show.

anagrammy

Quote from: El Kragen on July 15, 2011, 05:32:34 PM
The one that comes to mind is George's show from March 2004 featuring Wayne Green and David Booth. One of the few times I've heard George call BS on a guest and kick them off the show for good. At that time I still thought George was a decent host and doing a good job.

This is the description from the C2C website: Booth said he met Sister Lucia, now 97, at a Carmelite convent in Portugal and held a private conversation with her for five minutes. He would only reveal that he was told that a "new star" that had been prophesized about would begin to shine. Because Booth had been booked on the show to discuss his meeting with Lucia, and refused to elaborate further upon it, the interview was cut short, and the last 90 minutes of the program was reserved for Open Lines.

Both these guys were on the week prior and were brought back on after reporting this visit with the Sister. BS of course because they were just trying to sell more books and survival products. George was really annoyed wasn't shy about telling them so. He refused to talk about anything else and threatened them with the boot at the bottom of the hour if nothing was said. Green tried to change the subject by talking about what people could do to prepare. George cut him off with "NO ONE'S GOING TO BUY PLASTIC TUBES AND BURY THEM IN THE GROUND TO LIVE IN!", something he had been pushing in the last appearance. Booth suggested that he couldn't speak about what was said due to threats on his life.  George wasn't having any of it: "You were on here last week for a full show, crying, talking about your grandkids...". He rode out the 1/2 hour and sure enough they were gone after the commercial break. Wayne Green hasn't been on since and I thought the same for Booth but I saw he was on briefly in 2007. I find that somewhat surprising because the guy was a jackass but then again that version of George Noory and C2C no longer exists.

Fascinating--I'm going to dig that one up and listen again.  You bring up an excellent point, El K, that has been hinted at but not explored fully.  There may have been something happen politically at Premiere that changed the environment, making George the milquetoast agree-with-everyone host that he's become. 

Your post got me thinking about a certain betrayal that took place while I was still working.  The Vice President did not stick up for me as I ventured into the new ideas he and I had discussed.  Thereafter, I was just phoning it in, going through the motions, having lost all interest in the creativity I thought I could bring to the job. 

Maybe he took some kind of a reaming for making a statement like, "Nobody's going to buy a ------" since he is now hawking some pretty strange personal products.   Reminds me of the advice that new 12 year old runway model got from her mother, "Never say anything negative about any product EVER.  You never know who may want to hire you to sell their product in the future."

Or maybe he is guilty of confronting a guest, saying in effect, "BAD GUEST!" Thus making it harder for Lisa to get the inexperienced public speaker who has written a book and agreed to be a guest for free to hawk it.

It's hard to imagine anyone would deliberately become the kind of host George has become.  He definitely acts like it's not his show, that he has no authority, that he is just going along for the ride.  Even though he says it's "his show" and he has control, people who feel the need to say that usually have doubts or are trying to cover up the fact that they don't have control.

Anagrammy

I would love to hear this. Any chance of pointing us in the right direction to find it?

anagrammy

Quote from: Agent : Orange on July 19, 2011, 09:21:44 PM
I would love to hear this. Any chance of pointing us in the right direction to find it?

Me too! Anyone know?

Ana

El Kragen

I checked my C2C archive and unfortunately I do not have that day. I'll keep looking around online for it. Of course it probably won't be nearly as good as I remember so I hate to build it up too much.

anagrammy

What day was it, El K - we can all check our sources.

Ana

El Kragen

It's listed as Thursday March 18th 2004 "Meeting With Lucia?"

Quinn

Oh! A really great one was his 2006 interview with George Knapp and Colm Kelleher where they discussed Skinwalker Ranch - the ranch in Utah that is supposed to be on the path of the skinwalker, which is a sort of Native American shape-shifter. It's a legitimately creepy program - especially the part where Knapp mentions the account of a man's encounter with a being that had the body of a man and the head of a dog. I downloaded that one and have it on my iPod.

Knapp is the best part of the interview, which isn't a surprise!

Jackstar

Blast from the past... of note today, is that whatdoesitmean.com has now started plastering Wayne's name, openly on the site.

"Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice.

Robert

Thanks, Jackstar, for bumping this thread.

Quote from: anagrammy on July 17, 2011, 01:51:14 PM
Fascinating--I'm going to dig that one up and listen again.  You bring up an excellent point, El K, that has been hinted at but not explored fully.  There may have been something happen politically at Premiere that changed the environment, making George the milquetoast agree-with-everyone host that he's become....

It's hard to imagine anyone would deliberately become the kind of host George has become.  He definitely acts like it's not his show, that he has no authority, that he is just going along for the ride.
I don't remember that program, but I did have the impression that Noory was not bad as m.c. of C2C at that time.  People here are focused on the drop-off in satisfaction from listening to C2C going from Bell to Noory, but the diminution didn't seem that great to me at the time.  Much greater has been the diminution in satisfaction during the time that Noory's been the regular m.c.  I'd taken it as complacency on his part, but maybe there's something else there.

136 or 142

I was also going to mention the show he did where he kicked the guests off the program. 

The last show with Richard Hoagland, where Noory got angry with him for asking to do the five hour live program after Noory (according to Noory) told Hoagland to not bring it up on the air is also pretty good.

136 or 142

Also the show with the phony famous psychic who claimed to have predicted both that those miners (I think in Virginia) would be found dead and would be found alive.

Zetaspeak

Talking about times Noory kicked a guest off, I recall something about Big Foot once. A guy claiming he captured/shot a Big Foot and can prove it, but when it was time to prove it he would always come up with an excuse and string Noory on. I think Noory had him on as a guest and the guest said if he's invited back next week he will show proof and then when he came on air again the week after he tried to delay the "proof" again. Anybody remember this?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Zetaspeak on September 02, 2016, 10:28:37 AM
Talking about times Noory kicked a guest off, I recall something about Big Foot once. A guy claiming he captured/shot a Big Foot and can prove it, but when it was time to prove it he would always come up with an excuse and string Noory on. I think Noory had him on as a guest and the guest said if he's invited back next week he will show proof and then when he came on air again the week after he tried to delay the "proof" again. Anybody remember this?

Sounds like Bobo