• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Non-Consentual Mind-Reading of Helpless Patients is Unethical and Degrading

Started by Jojo, April 02, 2018, 12:32:46 AM

Jojo

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5565179/Mind-reading-machine-translate-thoughts-display-text.html

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-invented-a-mind-reading-machine-that-can-visualise-your-thoughts-kind-of

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11199031/Mind-reading-device-invented-by-scientists-to-eavesdrop-on-inner-voice.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4421554/Mind-reading-device-invented-scientists.html

So.  Who did scientists research on?  Not cadavers.  Not brain surgery patients (there wouldn't be enough).  Rats?  To develop something this revolutionary, gobs of people would need to be researched on. Hmmm...  Could the research have been covert?  Like the damaging Tuskegee experiments?

WHAT IF A PATIENT WHO CANT MOVE OR SPEAK DOESN'T WANT ELECTRODES IMPLANTED IN HIS BRAIN?  After all, any surgery is a risk.

WHAT IF A PATIENT WHO CAN'T MOVE OR SPEAK THINKS ABOUT HIS SEXUAL NEEDS?  OR HIS ANAL ITCH?  OR REMEMBERS AN EJACULATION?

WHAT IF HE RECOVERS AND HAS TO KNOWINGLY FACE THE PEOPLE WHO HUMILIATED HIM BY READING HIS MIND?  WOULD HE GO POSTAL?

WHAT IF HE THINKS THE NURSE IS BUTT-UGLY?  WHAT IF HE HATES THE HOSPITAL DOCTOR?  WHAT IF HE THINKS ABOUT SEX ACTS WITH THE NURSE?  WHAT IF HE WANTS TO PRIVATELY PRAY CONFESSIONS?  WHAT IS HE HAD AN AFFAIR AND DOESN'T WANT HIS WIFE TO KNOW, AND THEN HIS WIFE ENTERS IN THE ROOM WITH THE MIND-READERS, AND HE GETS ANXIETY RESULTING IN FEAR OF HIS OWN THOUGHTS BETRAYING HIS AFFAIR, AND WHAT IF HIS MIND SINKS INTO SOME CYCLE OF FORBIDDEN THOUGHT SYNDROME?

Scientists say there are over 30 levels of consciousness in all of us, like a choir, all working at the same time.  And many verbal ones.  That is why we can day dream about our boyfriend while we steer the car, turning our head to look for traffic at an intersection, while smelling a fragrance in the air, feeling our foot itch, and chewing gum?  That's six levels of thought all happening simultaneously.  But the new machine only follows one train of thought!

What about misunderstandings?  For instance, I know from experience that my mind confuses vinegar with ammonia.  Because I make a speech mistake on that one at times.  I've also been known to call the upright grand piano "refrigerator" in my mind.  But I know the difference, and people who know me know that I blurt out the wrong thing at times.  Much more confusion could result from someone who had a big stroke.

If you knew someone was reading your primary verbal level of thought, would you want to live?  Especially if you were given no choice, as in the doctors decided to read your mind without your permission?  What if you got angry and imagined slicing, dicing, and eating the doctors?  We all have angry fantasies.  Would you be punished?  Would you be reassigned a new doctor?  What if there are no other ones available?

It's wrong for people to read minds.  Our minds are meant to bang around freely, full of imagination and reconsideration, thoughts building on previous thoughts, changing our mind, etc...  Just because I think something, does not mean I agree with it, because that is what "wonder" means.  We try-out thoughts, to see how the idea sounds.  We brain storm.  One day I want to walk in the rain; the next day I realize it was just a fantasy and that I really wouldn't be happy wet and cold anymore.  Been there, done that.

What about points-of-reference?  Like, a patient might be asked to think of a Last Will and Testament.  Well, the only meaningful asset the patient might have could be a collectible car.  Suppose his car had always been called "Joe", but he no longer has any living relatives with that knowledge.  But, maybe he has a bad neighbor named Joe who is a lying, conniving thief.  The patient might repeatedly think the word "Joe", meaning his car.  But professionals could misunderstand, and find his long-time neighbor, Joe, more than willing to be the estate executor!

What if the patient holds corporate secrets, trade secrets?  Giving away secrets of the trade can cause legal damages!

What if the patient receives visitors, but has always secretly had a sexual attraction to a taboo relation, like maybe a sister?  It's not a sin if he never acted on it, but she might stop visiting him out of awkwardness, if she sees his desires on the communication machine.

Will there be filters to block obscene words or "indecent" thoughts?

Will the patient fear humiliation and mockery if he wants sexual release but is paralyzed, as well as forbidden from release due to hospital policies regarding visitor behavior.  What if he is embarrassed because his penis is small?  His penis size should not be on the read-out of his thoughts.

What is the patient is capable of crying, and wants to have a good cry, which would release endorphins to help her mood.  But what if she has a "shy" tears gland, for crying in front of people who read her thoughts?

What if her sexuality is intact.  People do what-they-do when the lights are out.  Patients in private rooms masturbate.  Even though all sex acts are against policy (Patients in most hospitals are not allowed sexuality). Would she be punished when her climax is read on the screen?  Other patients do it; they just don't get caught because their minds aren't read.  Would she be disciplined, like made to share a room or keep the lights on or pay a fine or whatever? 

What if she can't climax out of sheer embarrassment and self-consciousness because even though the lights are out and her door is closed, she knows others could or are reading her mind without her permission?

What if she imagines a rape from an orderly who she imagined wore a condom?  Her mere fear could convict an innocent man!

It is our shame which necessitates the need for redemption in God's eyes.  Without shame, there is no basis for Christianity.  Jesus saved sinners, not angels!  In treating stroke victims and paralyzed victims with non-consentual mind-reading, scientists will try to convince patients that their thoughts are normal and to persuade patients not to feel embarrased or to feel ashamed.
Eventually, in a culture like that,  patients eventually will become desensitized and become deprived of the RIGHT to feel shame.  I would rather have my shame and need God for forgiveness of sins (sins which could be mind-read because I think about and remember them), than be treated like an animal via mind reading.  Animals feel no shame when in heat or itching in the anus.  PEOPLE DO AND IT IS THEIR RIGHT.

THE.  RIGHT.  TO.  SHAME. 
THE.  RIGHT.  TO.  SALVATION.
The right to hormones, emotion, and humor.
The right NOT to be gradually controlled to synthetically evolve into aliens, beginning with the removal of shame as well as human hormones.
Cooking the metaphorical frog in the pot begins with the cultural removal of shame.
Engineering humans into aliens or synthetically engineered species (with no sex organs and perhaps with promises of eternal life) begins with the removal of shame in our culture, then the removal of hormones, which control emotion, sexuality and humor.
Maybe the greys are grey because they don't need blood because they don't need hormones because they don't have sexuality. 
Maybe without blood they are more able to bear the rigors of outer space.  Maybe they were us, prior to covert synthetic engineering.

AFTER ALL, ISN'T IT THE GREYS WHO COMMUNICATE THROUGH MIND-READING?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Jojo on April 02, 2018, 12:32:46 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5565179/Mind-reading-machine-translate-thoughts-display-text.html

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-have-invented-a-mind-reading-machine-that-can-visualise-your-thoughts-kind-of

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11199031/Mind-reading-device-invented-by-scientists-to-eavesdrop-on-inner-voice.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4421554/Mind-reading-device-invented-scientists.html

So.  Who did scientists research on?  Not cadavers.  Not brain surgery patients (there wouldn't be enough).  Rats?  To develop something this revolutionary, gobs of people would need to be researched on. Hmmm...  Could the research have been covert?  Like the damaging Tuskegee experiments?

WHAT IF A PATIENT WHO CANT MOVE OR SPEAK DOESN'T WANT ELECTRODES IMPLANTED IN HIS BRAIN?  After all, any surgery is a risk.

WHAT IF A PATIENT WHO CAN'T MOVE OR SPEAK THINKS ABOUT HIS SEXUAL NEEDS?  OR HIS ANAL ITCH?  OR REMEMBERS AN EJACULATION?

WHAT IF HE RECOVERS AND HAS TO KNOWINGLY FACE THE PEOPLE WHO HUMILIATED HIM BY READING HIS MIND?  WOULD HE GO POSTAL?

WHAT IF HE THINKS THE NURSE IS BUTT-UGLY?  WHAT IF HE HATES THE HOSPITAL DOCTOR?  WHAT IF HE THINKS ABOUT SEX ACTS WITH THE NURSE?  WHAT IF HE WANTS TO PRIVATELY PRAY CONFESSIONS?  WHAT IS HE HAD AN AFFAIR AND DOESN'T WANT HIS WIFE TO KNOW, AND THEN HIS WIFE ENTERS IN THE ROOM WITH THE MIND-READERS, AND HE GETS ANXIETY RESULTING IN FEAR OF HIS OWN THOUGHTS BETRAYING HIS AFFAIR, AND WHAT IF HIS MIND SINKS INTO SOME CYCLE OF FORBIDDEN THOUGHT SYNDROME?

Scientists say there are over 30 levels of consciousness in all of us, like a choir, all working at the same time.  And many verbal ones.  That is why we can day dream about our boyfriend while we steer the car, turning our head to look for traffic at an intersection, while smelling a fragrance in the air, feeling our foot itch, and chewing gum?  That's six levels of thought all happening simultaneously.  But the new machine only follows one train of thought!

What about misunderstandings?  For instance, I know from experience that my mind confuses vinegar with ammonia.  Because I make a speech mistake on that one at times.  I've also been known to call the upright grand piano "refrigerator" in my mind.  But I know the difference, and people who know me know that I blurt out the wrong thing at times.  Much more confusion could result from someone who had a big stroke.

If you knew someone was reading your primary verbal level of thought, would you want to live?  Especially if you were given no choice, as in the doctors decided to read your mind without your permission?  What if you got angry and imagined slicing, dicing, and eating the doctors?  We all have angry fantasies.  Would you be punished?  Would you be reassigned a new doctor?  What if there are no other ones available?

It's wrong for people to read minds.  Our minds are meant to bang around freely, full of imagination and reconsideration, thoughts building on previous thoughts, changing our mind, etc...  Just because I think something, does not mean I agree with it, because that is what "wonder" means.  We try-out thoughts, to see how the idea sounds.  We brain storm.  One day I want to walk in the rain; the next day I realize it was just a fantasy and that I really wouldn't be happy wet and cold anymore.  Been there, done that.

What about points-of-reference?  Like, a patient might be asked to think of a Last Will and Testament.  Well, the only meaningful asset the patient might have could be a collectible car.  Suppose his car had always been called "Joe", but he no longer has any living relatives with that knowledge.  But, maybe he has a bad neighbor named Joe who is a lying, conniving thief.  The patient might repeatedly think the word "Joe", meaning his car.  But professionals could misunderstand, and find his long-time neighbor, Joe, more than willing to be the estate executor!

What if the patient holds corporate secrets, trade secrets?  Giving away secrets of the trade can cause legal damages!

What if the patient receives visitors, but has always secretly had a sexual attraction to a taboo relation, like maybe a sister?  It's not a sin if he never acted on it, but she might stop visiting him out of awkwardness, if she sees his desires on the communication machine.

Will the patient fear humiliation and mockery if he wants sexual release but is paralyzed, as well as forbidden from release due to hospital policies regarding visitor behavior.  What if he is embarrassed because his penis is small?  His penis size should not be on the read-out of his thoughts.

What is the patient is capable of crying, and wants to have a good cry, which would release endorphins to help her mood.  But what if she has a "shy" tears gland, for crying in front of people who read her thoughts?

What if her sexuality is intact.  People do what-they-do when the lights are out.  Patients in private rooms masturbate.  Even though all sex acts are against policy (Patients in most hospitals are not allowed sexuality). Would she be punished when her climax is read on the screen?  Other patients do it; they just don't get caught because their minds aren't read.  Would she be disciplined, like made to share a room or keep the lights on or pay a fine or whatever? 

What if she can't climax out of sheer embarrassment and self-consciousness because even though the lights are out and her door is closed, she knows others could or are reading her mind without her permission?

What if she imagines a rape from an orderly who she imagined wore a condom?  Her mere fear could convict an innocent man!

It is our shame which necessitates the need for redemption in God's eyes.  Without shame, there is no basis for Christianity.  Jesus saved sinners, not angels!  In treating stroke victims and paralyzed victims with non-consentual mind-reading, scientists will try to convince patients that their thoughts are normal and to persuade patients not to feel embarrased or to feel ashamed.
Eventually, in a culture like that,  patients eventually will become desensitized and become deprived of the RIGHT to feel shame.  I would rather have my shame and need God for forgiveness of sins (sins which could be mind-read because I think about and remember them), than be treated like an animal via mind reading.  Animals feel no shame when in heat or itching in the anus.  PEOPLE DO AND IT IS THEIR RIGHT.

The right NOT to be gradually controlled to synthetically evolve into aliens, beginning with the removal of shame as well as human hormones.
Cooking the metaphorical frog in the pot begins with the cultural removal of shame.
Engineering humans into aliens or synthetically engineered species (with no sex organs and perhaps with promises of eternal life) begins with the removal of shame in our culture, then the removal of hormones, which control emotion, sexuality and humor.
Maybe the greys are grey because they don't need blood because they don't need hormones because they don't have sexuality. 
Maybe without blood they are more able to bear the rigors of outer space.  Maybe they were us, prior to covert synthetic engineering.

Where were you when MLB Instituted the Designated Hitter?

Juan

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 02, 2018, 01:58:26 AM
Where were you when MLB Instituted the Designated Hitter?
I first read this as Designater Hitler. Same thing, I guess.

Jojo

A designated hitter is a good thing, right? 

If this mind-reading technology is being announced, then the real stuff is way ahead of it.  Most stuff today that can be done in person can also be done remotely.

albrecht

Quote from: Jojo on April 02, 2018, 11:22:38 AM
A designated hitter is a good thing, right? 

If this mind-reading technology is being announced, then the real stuff is way ahead of it.  Most stuff today that can be done in person can also be done remotely.
DH is bad but I can live with it. Some of that proposed tech is pretty scary and it will be interesting to see how society, media, religious institutions, and legal system will handle it, if they come to fruition. The one claiming about reading minds? Will even relationships, families, friendships continue?

And what happens when IQ is strongly correlated to DNA and so individuals, maybe whole races, might have naturally higher ones? Will school systems be designed differently? Can employers make prospective candidates take a test? Discrimination? A defense in a legal case?

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610339/dna-tests-for-iq-are-coming-but-it-might-not-be-smart-to-take-one/

GravitySucks

Quote from: Jojo on April 02, 2018, 07:30:00 PM
Designated hitter is bad thing?

Fargingaye right its a bad thing. Bastages should have to hit if they wanna pitch.

Quote from: Jojo on April 02, 2018, 12:32:46 AM

Singularity is real

Singularity is coming

vetting must begin

be of harmony

or be nothing

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on April 02, 2018, 09:40:05 PM
Singularity is real

Singularity is coming

vetting must begin

be of harmony

or be nothing

Aw, but I don't wanna! ::)

albrecht

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on April 02, 2018, 09:40:05 PM
Singularity is real

Singularity is coming

vetting must begin

be of harmony

or be nothing
AI related to DH? And what AI and Singularity with regard to blackhole issues? Why more protections for players, esp catchers? RCH, where are you to figure this out? "Extreme shifts" like Astros...ASTROS?!?! Houston/NASA?!

albrecht

As your society is being displaced, raped, attacked, killed, and invaded.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170814162334.htm
"Given the right circumstances, oxytocin may help promote the acceptance and integration of migrants into Western cultures,"

Jojo

Robert

From reading this artlcle:
Quotehttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5565179/Mind-reading-machine-translate-thoughts-display-text.html
I can pretty well figure out the answer to this question:
QuoteSo.  Who did scientists research on?  Not cadavers.  Not brain surgery patients (there wouldn't be enough).  Rats?  To develop something this revolutionary, gobs of people would need to be researched on. Hmmm...  Could the research have been covert?  Like the damaging Tuskegee experiments?
Get a bunch of normal subjects.  Hook the electrodes to them.  Have them talk, preferably reading the same prepared scripts.  Then associate the EEG with the scripts.  That's what the brain is saying when they're saying these things.  Voila, computer-read brain talk.

At least that's how I'd do it.

Jojo

Quote from: Robert on April 06, 2018, 12:38:38 PM
From reading this artlcle:I can pretty well figure out the answer to this question:Get a bunch of normal subjects.  Hook the electrodes to them.  Have them talk, preferably reading the same prepared scripts.  Then associate the EEG with the scripts.  That's what the brain is saying when they're saying these things.  Voila, computer-read brain talk.

It might not work.  Because subjects would know their minds were being read, and their thought might turn to that.  They might have self-conscious thoughts, or meta-thoughts... which would ruin the whole point.  Better to experiment on unwitting individuals.

Quote from: Robert on April 06, 2018, 12:38:38 PM
From reading this artlcle:I can pretty well figure out the answer to this question:Get a bunch of normal subjects.  Hook the electrodes to them.  Have them talk, preferably reading the same prepared scripts.  Then associate the EEG with the scripts.  That's what the brain is saying when they're saying these things.  Voila, computer-read brain talk.

that's it. I didn’t know EEG was sensitive enough. Other researches use fMRI because it looks deep into the brain and has higher résolution than EEG. They build up a kind of dictionary for each patient for each word or idea . Have them think of a dog and see what part of the brain lights up.

albrecht

Not mind reading, presumably, but more American diplomats apparently getting sick by some mysterious sonic weapon. This time in China.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/world/asia/china-guangzhou-consulate-sonic-attack.html

Metron2267

Quote from: albrecht on June 06, 2018, 03:48:36 PM
Not mind reading, presumably, but more American diplomats apparently getting sick by some mysterious sonic weapon. This time in China.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/06/world/asia/china-guangzhou-consulate-sonic-attack.html

The latest "explanation" for the Cuban diplomats brain melting is "crickets"...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/science/sonic-attack-cuba-crickets.html

Exams of nearly two dozen of them eventually revealed signs of concussions or other brain injuries, and speculation about the cause turned to weapons that blast sound or microwaves. Amid an international uproar, a recording of the sinister droning was widely circulated in the news media.

On Friday, two scientists presented evidence that those sounds were not so mysterious after all. They were made by crickets, the researchers concluded.
To search for a match, the researchers analyzed field recordings of North American insects stored in an online database at the University of Florida. They found a striking resemblance to one species in particular: the Indies short-tailed cricket.

Yet the cricket’s song differs from the Cuban recording in one important respect. The noises heard by the diplomats were erratic, while the insects make high-pitched, rapid-fire pulses.

::) ::) ::)

albrecht

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 15, 2019, 05:29:36 PM
The latest "explanation" for the Cuban diplomats brain melting is "crickets"...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/science/sonic-attack-cuba-crickets.html

Exams of nearly two dozen of them eventually revealed signs of concussions or other brain injuries, and speculation about the cause turned to weapons that blast sound or microwaves. Amid an international uproar, a recording of the sinister droning was widely circulated in the news media.

On Friday, two scientists presented evidence that those sounds were not so mysterious after all. They were made by crickets, the researchers concluded.
To search for a match, the researchers analyzed field recordings of North American insects stored in an online database at the University of Florida. They found a striking resemblance to one species in particular: the Indies short-tailed cricket.

Yet the cricket’s song differs from the Cuban recording in one important respect. The noises heard by the diplomats were erratic, while the insects make high-pitched, rapid-fire pulses.

::) ::) ::)
Yeah, right. At least blame a group psychosis due to the crickets.  ;)   

https://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tech/2018/07/pentagon-wants-bring-mind-controlled-tech-troops/149776/

"DARPA seeks proposals to design, build, demonstrate, and validate a nonsurgical neural interface system to broaden the applicability of neural interfaces to the able-bodied warfighter. The final technology aims to enable neural recording and stimulation with sub-millimeter spatial resolution. "

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=767054e365fc2ac4cd05a338a6d35a1d&tab=core&_cview=0   

"Neuropolitics"
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/611808/the-neuropolitics-consultants-who-hack-voters-brains/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-mechanics-of-mind-reading/
Not subscriber?
https://www.scribd.com/document/380165908/The-Mechanics-of-Mind-Reading

https://www.wired.com/story/scientists-are-developing-a-unique-identifier-for-your-brain/   

Let me wipe your mind so you can rewatch Hollywood "programming" again, says Samsung. 

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/computers/item/28551-samsung-wants-to-wipe-your-memory-so-you-ll-watch-tv-shows-again 

https://www.samsung.com/se/unspoilme/eng/ 

Metron2267

Super troubling set of links, saved and also shared - TNX!

They have obviously improved the technology since the '70s...

albrecht

Quote from: Metron2267 on January 15, 2019, 06:21:08 PM
Super troubling set of links, saved and also shared - TNX!

They have obviously improved the technology since the '70s...

Yeah. Much so. Now those are "old links" that I grabbed off some of my posts on EG when BG was gone.  There has been more stuff in the news recently, like "reading" thoughts via very advance MRI machines and super-computers. And stuff China was claiming about "finding the soul," though that was the news lead, really more like trying to find the source of consciousness/self-awareness and morality....wonder what THAT could be used for....?

Metron2267

Albrecht you have been posting some ah-mazing links of late. Can't believe you twigged on Delgado - read his "Physical Control of the Mind" as part of a college psych class back in the day, and it was creepy even then as a youngster. All those shaved monkey heads and electrodes. Dude, you're going to stuff my bookmark folders with this bounty of archival and revealing data tours of just what DARPA net was always designed to be. :-X