• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Survivalism/Prepping: Smart move or 'tard olympics?

Started by Caruthers612, October 24, 2013, 02:22:49 AM

area51drone

By the way, when SHTF, I'm headed to Area 51.   Even if the saucers are gone, I should be able to find some documentation on them, proving to myself they're real before I die of thirst and or starvation.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Cynnie on October 24, 2013, 07:03:15 AM
Prepping is bullshit ..when the world comes to an end ..hordes of crazed hillbillies are going to find you , rape you , kill you,  and take all your shit

You say that like it's a bad thing. :-0

Caruthers612

Quote from: DanTSX on October 24, 2013, 09:42:14 AM
There is smart prepping and dumb prepping

Dumb prepping = buying 30 guns and 30k rounds of ammo every year, a shitty Chinese flashlight, a hand crank radio, lots of tinfoil, Chinese 2 meter HT radios thinking they have some crazy HF range to talk to Europe, giant redneck truck and not a fucking clue

Smart prepping = a few handguns, an AR-15, a cheap shotgun for game. a few thousand rounds of ammo.2 weeks of food, tested generator, stabilized gas, tested water purification, advanced first aid, quality flashlights, quality radio, new batteries every year, fire starting and fire fighting equipment,  hand powered water sump pump, decent wearable packs to get out.  Waterproof clothes for wading, etc.

Prepping for most is just an excuse to buy guns.  I don't need an excuse to buy guns.  I just buy them anyways.  No matter how well armed you are, you are not going to survive multiple firefights in a SHTF situation.

Ah, but in the People's Republic of New York we ain't allowed to buy guns. ;-) I liked this post, very intelligent.

Caruthers612

QuoteThere was a time when I thought the idea of "prepping" was just silly. No longer. My attitude has changed in the last few years, due mostly to the realization of what will happen when our entitlement society learns that the check will no longer be coming. And make no mistake about it; the day is coming when the checks will stop coming.

I agree with this and with what Stevesh said above about current fiscal policy resulting in disaster. Add to this the way advancing technology is about to permanently displace more and more employed people. For example, 3D printers will likely soon make manufacturing as we have known it a thing of the past, certainly when combined with other technologies like nanomanufacturing, materials science and so on--no more need for factories, assembly lines and all the other industries related to traditional manufacturing, wholesale and retail. It all means that with every year that passes, more and more types of jobs will cease to exist. More people will never again have a way to earn money. Survival at that point may get uglier than Rosie O'Donnell after a long day of fiddling with children and eating their charred corpses.

Heather Wade

Quote from: area51drone on October 24, 2013, 02:26:29 PM
True hunger does incredible things to the mind.

That's it, man.  Totally IT. 

How many days can you go without, or with very little?