• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Survivalism/Prepping: Smart move or 'tard olympics?

Started by Caruthers612, October 24, 2013, 02:22:49 AM

Caruthers612

Are any of you into prepping/survivalism? If so, I'd be interested to learn your reasons, first, what sort of disaster you think is likely (the things your making ready to deal with), and what steps you've taken. I go back and forth on this one. I have no desire to associate with the conegobbers one sees in the prepper tv show, the sort of pinheads and Bible thumpers usually associated with this sort of thing. I also have no interest in living in the woods or trying to start a new society. I like the modern, high-tech civilization we have here, and don't intend to give it up for nobody or nothin'. My main interest, I guess, is autonomy, being as independent as possible. So growing food, installing solar or wind power, atmospheric water generators. I was one of the primary victims of Sandy, where I live in the NE, and learned first-hand what it was like to be sent hurtling back a hundred years. It's fun to play zombie apocalypse, and try and calculate exactly how many crossbow bolts Daryl, I mean you, could fire through the heads of walkers before they ate your balls, but in reality it'd probably come down to much more mundane things, like food prices continuing to go up so much it becomes practical or necessary to grow at least a good portion of your own, or a natural disaster depriving you of power or fresh water.

stevesh

Even more likely, I think, that our current 'quantitative easing'-based fiscal policy will reach a tipping point and inflation will spiral out of control. I'm learning to can food and I'm loading as much ammunition as I can get components for, mainly for hunting but some for self-defense.

I'm not a pinhead and don't even own a Bible, but I think we all have some responsibilty to be aware of possible trouble and provide for ourselves and, if possible, others.

Cynnie

Prepping is bullshit ..when the world comes to an end ..hordes of crazed hillbillies are going to find you , rape you , kill you,  and take all your shit

stevesh

Apparently it's officially impossible to engage in an intelligent conversation about anything since coastgab became bellgab. Too bad. I miss the old days of, say, July.

Juan

Yeah ^^^.
I live in Florida.  For many years, we've put together hurricane kits - a stock of food, flashlights, water, cooking stuff, a tent, etc.  The things you'd need if the power was off for a while, and if you needed shelter because your roof was blown off.

I've also lived in the mountains where we would sometimes be blocked in by snow for a few days.  I was ready with a similar kit.  Having supplies to sustain you for a few days or weeks is sensible.

One of the more interesting ideas is to buy an inverter for your car.  Fill the car with gas before the disaster arrives (possible with natural disasters, not so much with quantitative easing) Run the car at idle to operate electrical equipment when needed.  A full tank of gas will last a long time this way.

DanTSX

There is smart prepping and dumb prepping

Dumb prepping = buying 30 guns and 30k rounds of ammo every year, a shitty Chinese flashlight, a hand crank radio, lots of tinfoil, Chinese 2 meter HT radios thinking they have some crazy HF range to talk to Europe, giant redneck truck and not a fucking clue

Smart prepping = a few handguns, an AR-15, a cheap shotgun for game. a few thousand rounds of ammo.2 weeks of food, tested generator, stabilized gas, tested water purification, advanced first aid, quality flashlights, quality radio, new batteries every year, fire starting and fire fighting equipment,  hand powered water sump pump, decent wearable packs to get out.  Waterproof clothes for wading, etc.

Prepping for most is just an excuse to buy guns.  I don't need an excuse to buy guns.  I just buy them anyways.  No matter how well armed you are, you are not going to survive multiple firefights in a SHTF situation. 

onan

Quote from: DanTSX on October 24, 2013, 09:42:14 AM
Prepping for most is just an excuse to buy guns.  I don't need an excuse to buy guns.  I just buy them anyways.  No matter how well armed you are, you are not going to survive multiple firefights in a SHTF situation.

probably the most astute statement on surviving I have read.

area51drone

Quote from: DanTSX on October 24, 2013, 09:42:14 AM
Smart prepping = a few handguns, an AR-15, a cheap shotgun for game. a few thousand rounds of ammo.2 weeks of food, tested generator, stabilized gas, tested water purification, advanced first aid, quality flashlights, quality radio, new batteries every year, fire starting and fire fighting equipment,  hand powered water sump pump, decent wearable packs to get out.  Waterproof clothes for wading, etc.

Add to this NV and thermal cams to take total tactical advantage, and give you the capability to hunt at night.  Even the cheap Jakks NV goggles for kids are better than nothing.  Batteries should be rechargeable, and have yourself a charger.   You say fire starting equipment, but specifically, an axe, a hatchet and a way to sharpen them.   Chainsaw is great if you can spare the gas and oil.   General tools like a sledge hammer, hammer, nails, shovel etc.   Quality kitchen supplies like a cast iron pot and pan.  Seeds kept airtight, and replaced every now and then.   Tarps.   I know an AR15 can be used for deer hunting, but a good deer rifle also can't hurt.   I personally picked up a BB guns and a break action pellet gun and tens of thousands of BB's and thousands of pellets.   They are dirt cheap to buy both the gun and ammo, and even a .22 pellet gun has been known to take down a deer  :o    Certainly small game can easily be killed with a bb or a .177 pellet, and you'll definitely be a good (and relatively silent) shot since you have lots of ammo left over to practice with.    We also bought some homesteading books to reference if we need.

Next question - why..  why the hell not?   Most of this stuff I have anyway.   I hope nothing happens, but you never know.  The bioterrorism stuff could become a reality.   The planet could get hit with a meteor or Yellowstone could blow its top.   The world may not end, but it is certainly possible that areas of our planet could become "fend for yourself" for quite a while.   There is nothing wrong with having provisions and being prepared.  As long as you can afford it, and you aren't being paranoid.

DanTSX

Quote from: area51drone on October 24, 2013, 10:22:12 AM
Add to this NV and thermal cams to take total tactical advantage.  Even the cheap Jakks NV goggles for kids are better than nothing.  Batteries should be rechargeable, and have yourself a charger.   You say fire starting equipment, but specifically, an axe, a hatchet and a way to sharpen them.   Chainsaw is great if you can spare the gas and oil.   General tools like a sledge hammer, hammer, nails, etc.   Quality kitchen supplies like a cast iron pot and pan.  Tarps.   I know an AR15 can be used for deer hunting, but a good deer rifle also can't hurt.   I personally picked up a BB guns and a break action pellet gun and tens of thousands of BB's and thousands of pellets.   They are dirt cheap to buy both the gun and ammo, and even a .22 pellet gun has been known to take down a deer  :o    Certainly small game can easily be killed with a bb or a .177 pellet, and you'll definitely be a good (and relatively silent) shot since you have lots of ammo left over to practice with.

Agree on the chainsaw can't believe  missed that. 
Agree on the .22lr or pellet gun.  You can live a long time on small game.  If you can only have one or two guns for SHTF, a good .22lr and a shotgun will do the trick.   

Disagree on the NVG and thermal vision enhancements.  Anything above "toy" status is in the $3000+ range.   Maybe $1700 for a better Gen 2 monocular.    That money could be better used for other prep priorities.   However, if you have the money, by all means get it.  Awesome technology and a huge advantage.  But cover the bases first.   

Juan

An advantage of the .22 pellet rifle.  The pellets don't break the sound barrier, so they don't make much noise and alert cops, starving neighbors, zombies, etc. that you are hunting.  The .22 pellet has more mass than the .177 BB, so it should be a little better at bringing down game.

area51drone

Quote from: DanTSX on October 24, 2013, 10:28:08 AM
Disagree on the NVG and thermal vision enhancements.  Anything above "toy" status is in the $3000+ range.   Maybe $1700 for a better Gen 2 monocular.    That money could be better used for other prep priorities.   However, if you have the money, by all means get it.  Awesome technology and a huge advantage.  But cover the bases first.

I bought my ATN NVM-14 Gen 3 used on ebay for $1700.  Flir HM224 was $1800 refurbished. 

I also have a pair of these:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-JAKKS-PACIFIC-Spy-Net-Night-Vision-Goggles-Monocular-Airsoft-50-ft-Vision-/331047462885  I bought them for my son, but they're actually pretty good for what they are and for less than $50, you can't go wrong.  You could also use your cell phone and an IR illuminator.   

area51drone

Quote from: UFO Fill on October 24, 2013, 10:36:02 AM
An advantage of the .22 pellet rifle.  The pellets don't break the sound barrier, so they don't make much noise and alert cops, starving neighbors, zombies, etc. that you are hunting.  The .22 pellet has more mass than the .177 BB, so it should be a little better at bringing down game.

Most break action .177 pellet guns don't break the sound barrier either, and with a pump you will have the choice of how loud you want it to be.  No pump guns will break the sound barrier that I know of.    But agreed, the .22 pellet is a very good choice.

DanTSX

Quote from: UFO Fill on October 24, 2013, 10:36:02 AM

This is quieter still...

Quote from: DanTSX on October 24, 2013, 11:35:04 AM
This is quieter still...

I would absolutely recommend such a weapon for bringing down small game, e.g., squirrels, birds, snakes, cats, etc.

There was a time when I thought the idea of "prepping" was just silly. No longer. My attitude has changed in the last few years, due mostly to the realization of what will happen when our entitlement society learns that the check will no longer be coming. And make no mistake about it; the day is coming when the checks will stop coming.

I have quietly built a 6 month food and water supply along with ample weaponry and caches of ammunition -- along with some other goodies. I look at it as insurance.

Sardondi

Quote from: stevesh on October 24, 2013, 06:55:18 AMEven more likely, I think, that our current 'quantitative easing'-based fiscal policy will reach a tipping point and inflation will spiral out of control. I'm learning to can food and I'm loading as much ammunition as I can get components for, mainly for hunting but some for self-defense.

I'm not a pinhead and don't even own a Bible, but I think we all have some responsibilty to be aware of possible trouble and provide for ourselves and, if possible, others.
The only people living in a metropolitan area when a life-changing disaster strikes (pandemic, famine, grid destruction) who will survive will be the most vicious of criminals who can organize. Also known as current gang members. But food in the cities should be no problem for awhile, at least for those willing to be cannibals, at least until the population dies out and protein becomes harder to find. Then the gangs will have to migrate. Suburbs will be in just as much trouble and will be just as indefensible if not moreso.

Only large families or groups of families organized into small communities who live on 100+ rural acres (and of course significantly more land as the number of group members rises) with a fortified, defensible central site can hope to survive. If they act quickly enough and with enough violence the ones with the best chance of survival will be successful in sending teams to intelligently loot pharmacies and hardware stores in nearby towns - supermarkets will probably be swarmed over immediately. They must have access to an infantry unit National Guard armory for crew-served automatic weapons, grenades, claymores and ammunition; plus any MREs, water and fuel supplies. If they're very lucky they'll score mortars and LAWS rockets. And then they might expect to survive only if they are constantly vigilant and ruthlessly protect their crops and livestock from the starving masses streaming out of the metro areas, and are willing to peremptorily kill refugees on sight.

Bottom line: any urban or suburban area will soon become a dead zone in a life-changing disaster.

area51drone

Agree with Sardondi.   I think unless you're hiding out in the middle of no where, you would not be safe in such a situation.   Even then, people will watch for smoke from your camp fire and try to hunt you down.  It would be a very sad and dangerous situation to be in.   I encourage any who haven't read The Road, to do so, or at least to watch the movie.   

onan

Quote from: Sardondi on October 24, 2013, 02:09:30 PM
The only people living in a metropolitan area when a life-changing disaster strikes (pandemic, famine, grid destruction) who will survive will be the most vicious of criminals who can organize. Also known as current gang members. But food in the cities should be no problem for awhile, at least for those willing to be cannibals, at least until the population dies out and protein becomes harder to find. Then the gangs will have to migrate. Suburbs will be in just as much trouble and will be just as indefensible if not moreso.

Only large families or groups of families organized into small communities who live on 100+ rural acres (and of course significantly more land as the number of group members rises) with a fortified, defensible central site can hope to survive. If they act quickly enough and with enough violence the ones with the best chance of survival will be successful in sending teams to intelligently loot pharmacies and hardware stores in nearby towns - supermarkets will probably be swarmed over immediately. They must have access to an infantry unit National Guard armory for crew-served automatic weapons, grenades, claymores and ammunition; plus any MREs, water and fuel supplies. If they're very lucky they'll score mortars and LAWS rockets. And then they might expect to survive only if they are constantly vigilant and ruthlessly protect their crops and livestock from the starving masses streaming out of the metro areas, and are willing to peremptorily kill refugees on sight.

Bottom line: any urban or suburban area will soon become a dead zone in a life-changing disaster.

Hypotheticals are always so difficult to define. First, depending on the crisis, how one responds will be different. I suspect if we were attacked by another country we would all join together. Reagan made a similar point, but so did every 1940's sci fi movie. If we have some form of global disaster, such as a large meteor or Yellowstone explodes... just give it up; dying the first week or the second is kind of a silly line in the sand.

I think someone in another thread made the point that only the victors write history. So, if that is the case, criminals would soon be the founding fathers.

I don't spend a bunch of time in pollyannaville. I am fully aware if all the grocery stores run empty with no supplies coming in, it will get ugly. How ugly really depends on how well decent society responds.

I mean really, when will you fire the first shot? When your neighbor knocks on your door or a stranger that may just be looking for help?

area51drone

I think people will fire the first shots when they are threatened.    Once someone brandishes a gun and takes everything they can from you, you'll be once bitten twice shy.   I think things will be civil until there is real hunger.  True hunger does incredible things to the mind.

onan

Quote from: area51drone on October 24, 2013, 02:26:29 PM
I think people will fire the first shots when they are threatened.    Once someone brandishes a gun and takes everything they can from you, you'll be once bitten twice shy.   I think things will be civil until there is real hunger.  True hunger does incredible things to the mind.

Yeah I think so too, But no one is going to just walk up to your house brandishing a gun.

Cynnie

Quote from: stevesh on October 24, 2013, 07:35:30 AM
Apparently it's officially impossible to engage in an intelligent conversation about anything since coastgab became bellgab. Too bad. I miss the old days of, say, July.

The good old days of everyone agreeing with you?

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 24, 2013, 11:57:01 AM
I would absolutely recommend such a weapon for bringing down small game, e.g., squirrels, birds, snakes, cats, etc.
I may have to get something like that. A raccoon and a possum seem to living in sin in my backyard.

I blame Obama.

Cynnie

Prepping is stupid , what are you preparing yourself for ?

I have a house on 4 acres . The land is paid for ..the house and the lot its on isnt  ..but no matter ,
I have my own well ( im putting in a hand pump soon) and most of the acreage is heavily wooded . Im building a chicken coop next spring  . And im looking into installing solar
Im trying to keep a certain amount of money free in case im ever laid off or fired .
I have a hunting rifle and a shotgun .

Im just trying to be frugal and self sufficient in case something ever happens where i cant depend on electricity or water .

But if it were the end of civilized america ..i would rather just not be alive

stevesh

Quote from: Cynnie on October 24, 2013, 02:34:24 PM
The good old days of everyone agreeing with you?

No, no one has ever agreed with me much. The good old days when someone like Caruthers could start a thread that asked an important question and asked for serious replies and didn't get the kind of garbage you and your little friends in the Art Bell chat threads amuse one another with.

Take a look at Sardondi's post #14. He made essentially the same point you did, but he did so as an adult.

I am prepped for an earthquake. I have food and water spread out in the house. I have elderly neighbors on both sides. I keep a small supply of tools that can be used to dig people out (like elderly neighbors) of rubble and lift heavy beams/wood. It also doubles as tree trimming equipment which I loan out to friends in exchange for beer (usually home-brewed).

That's pretty much the extent of my prepping.

Cynnie

Quote from: stevesh on October 24, 2013, 02:58:03 PM
No, no one has ever agreed with me much. The good old days when someone like Caruthers could start a thread that asked an important question and asked for serious replies and didn't get the kind of garbage you and your little friends in the Art Bell chat threads amuse one another with.

Take a look at Sardondi's post #14. He made essentially the same point you did, but he did so as an adult.

The topic asked if it was a smart move or tard olympics ..
So i said stupid ..sorry i didnt use the classier word tard

Cynnie

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on October 24, 2013, 03:06:20 PM
I am prepped for an earthquake. I have food and water spread out in the house. I have elderly neighbors on both sides. I keep a small supply of tools that can be used to dig people out (like elderly neighbors) of rubble and lift heavy beams/wood. It also doubles as tree trimming equipment which I loan out to friends in exchange for beer (usually home-brewed).

That's pretty much the extent of my prepping.

Oooo! I make beer too!  I dont want to live like an animal while im hunkered down in my basement

Nighthawk

Sure I have lots of preps. All the usual things. But I am not excessive. If the world is going to end and SHTF I don't really care. If I end up dieing then so be it. I will go out with a bang and a fun time for sure. Those people on those prepper shows you see on TV must be very happy people. Not depressed at all. Very high on themselves. (I guess they also really want their families to survive)

onan

I have friends, acquaintances that take this real seriously. Trust me FTF, unless you are hiding more of your expertise, you have nothing on these guys. They know where the major grocery store warehouses are. some of them actually drive trucks into those warehouses. I won't bore anyone with the details of their "supplies" but they are extensive.

I have been invited to join them in their plans to survive whatever may come. Mostly I like these guys even the ones that make Karl look like a schoolgirl. I pretty much acknowledge their plans as logical if the apocalypse comes and then go home and hug my wife.

I have no doubt I would be welcome if the scenario ever presented itself. But most likely, as much as I think some of you would welcome the governmental collapse, is not going to happen.

But if it does, I have made good friends that see past the politics (well at least partially) to understand a community is needed to ever survive long term.

area51drone

I do not know anyone personally who is that crazy.  However, I do have a good friend of mine whose fiance's family in Eastern Washington is totally into the prepper stuff.   They even have plans to blow up the passes between Western and Eastern Washington to keep the Seattle Metro population from getting there easily.   Some people are nuts.   Plans are great, but I think ingenuity, mobility and ruthlessness will be key factors to survival.

Cynnie

I lived in texas for a few years ..
They're gonna be soo sad when the apocolypse comes and they cant eat their guns