• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Ask Jackstar Anything

Started by Jackstar, October 08, 2018, 11:47:27 PM

Kidnostad3

Wouldn't it be necessary for one to be gruntled before one can become disgruntled? 

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Jackstar on August 29, 2019, 08:27:40 AM
https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/thesaurus

I was thinking more of a single word that conveys the exact and unambiguous meaning when used in common parlance.  How about "Roget's" as in "He consulted his Roget's to avoid hum drum repetition..."

Taaroa

How do you feel about the USS Liberty incident?

K_Dubb

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on August 29, 2019, 12:16:00 PM
Wouldn't it be necessary for one to be gruntled before one can become disgruntled?

I've actually looked this one up before.  The problem isn't the word "gruntled" which is attested, though rare, and means about what it sounds like.  It's the dis- prefix which would normally negate it and I have yet to encounter a satisfactory explanation as to why it behaves differently here than anywhere else.

Dr. MD MD

Is it OK to abbreviate Asking For A Friend?

AFAF

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on September 15, 2019, 11:44:12 PM
I've actually looked this one up before.  The problem isn't the word "gruntled" which is attested, though rare, and means about what it sounds like.  It's the dis- prefix which would normally negate it and I have yet to encounter a satisfactory explanation as to why it behaves differently here than anywhere else.

Do you feel the same way about 'disturb' or 'dispatch' or 'dismay'? I think it's a bit late for Americans to start worrying about linguistic purity after blithely micturating over it the past couple of centuries.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on September 16, 2019, 02:31:19 AM
Do you feel the same way about 'disturb' or 'dispatch' or 'dismay'? I think it's a bit late for Americans to start worrying about linguistic purity after blithely micturating over it the past couple of centuries.

"Dispatch" and "dismay" show the prefix behaving normally, but "disturb" might actually be the answer!  The etymology cites a Latin word or prefix meaning "utterly" that, now that I think of it, is probably responsible for "despoil", too, though it isn't listed.

Asking "why?" is not the same thing at all, as you well know.  I would probably be the last person to worry about purity since I love the messiness and think that while the dictionary movement provided invaluable documentation it also birthed a lot of tiresome lowbrow pettifoggery over spelling and what is and is not a word that stifles the natural life of a language -- as a poet I coin freely, though you rarely attend.

K_Dubb

Let me squelch the inevitable charge of inconsistency that will arise since I have complained about importing foreign words, specifically "lahar" (from Indonesian) and "lagerstätte" (from German):  These words are used in academic contexts with a specificity they do not possess in their original language.

"Lahar" simply means any volcanic effluvium, not the hot mudflows geologists attempt to describe, and is probably itself a borrowing of "lava" as you might guess.  Since the word must always be defined for a lay audience, it defeats the purpose and is just academic preening.  "Mudflow" works just fine without the exotic cachet.

Similarly, "lagerstätte" just means a resting state, not the diverse fossil assemblages for which it is used that give a snapshot of an era's plants and animals all living together, and (what is worse) is nearly always pronounced in an extravagant approximation of the German original, emphasizing its foreignness in violation of all the rules by which a word is borrowed, and, when written, preserves the umlaut for the same reason.  "Snapshot" is a far better word and is easily understood, which is why academics avoid it.

Jackstar

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 16, 2019, 01:02:51 AM
Is it OK to abbreviate Asking For A Friend?

AFAF

That seems okay... for fags.

Jojo

You have loosened up your syntax.

paladin1991

Quote from: Jackstar on September 18, 2019, 01:01:12 AM
DIAF FBI

But I thought we were bubbas.  Sharing the same sky and all.  And JackstarSEX.  Remember how we would laugh together while she bled out in the threads?  I'll never laugh that way again with anyone else.

Jackstar

Quote from: paladin1991 on September 19, 2019, 12:31:43 AM
But I thought we were bubbas.

Do please let me know when you've decided to renounce Satan.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on September 19, 2019, 02:31:06 AM
Do please let me know when you've decided to renounce Satan.
Oh that's a little overboard.  And he's not the only dog that rolled in that patty.  It was the best!

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jojo on September 21, 2019, 01:53:20 AM
Oh that's a little overboard.  And he's not the only dog that rolled in that patty.  It was the best!

Right! Citizens of California are required to worship Satan.

paladin1991

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on September 21, 2019, 04:13:47 AM
Right! Citizens of California are required to worship Satan.
But Jackyboi is not in Cali.

Jackstar

I'm not gonna lie--if it came down to a choice between living in California and worshiping Satan, I'd have to sit down and think it over.

Quote from: Jackstar on September 27, 2019, 10:57:56 AM
I'm not gonna lie--if it came down to a choice between living in California and worshiping Satan, I'd have to sit down and think it over.

I'm not gonna lie--if it came down to a choice between living in New York City and worshiping Satan, I'd have to sit down and think it over.

Jojo

Save your souls.  Don't worship Satan because to do so is a renunciation of Christ.

YWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BELLBLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB BVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Ask Jackstar anythng - right, what's the diameter of the largest potato-based turd you ever dropped?