• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Star Trek: The Next Generation (STTNG)

Started by MV/Liberace!, January 07, 2014, 11:16:56 AM

Sambo

Quote from: valdez on January 08, 2014, 06:20:42 AM
     It was the best of the franchise. 

Nah. People just like to say that because it was a little more dark and gritty. TNG was the best. Gene would agree

aldousburbank

I am not a big Trek dude but I enjoy Voyager. 7of9. The final episode(s) are the best time travel weirdness conundrums ever IMO.

Sambo

I dig voyager as well. It kept close to the same model as tng

gbneely

There was something about Star Trek: Enterprise that made it my favorite spinoff. Maybe it was more of a wild west feel than the more sterile feel of the other spinoffs. Maybe it was something else, I just don't know.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Sambo on January 08, 2014, 10:15:09 AM
I dig voyager as well. It kept close to the same model as tng
With the consistent subtexts of "honor" and devotion to duty (as in TNG), Voyager tends to focus more on the concept of "The Quest", "home", and friendship.

area51drone

Quote from: aldousburbank on January 08, 2014, 09:35:28 AM
I am not a big Trek dude but I enjoy Voyager. 7of9. The final episode(s) are the best time travel weirdness conundrums ever IMO.

That one where Tom Paris went Warp 10 and went infinitely fast so that he became everything and this mess of weirdness was pretty funny.

ziznak

I loved Jordy's reading rainbow series.  When did he get his eyes fixed?

eddie dean

Quote from: gbneely on January 08, 2014, 10:20:17 AM
There was something about Star Trek: Enterprise that made it my favorite spinoff. Maybe it was more of a wild west feel than the more sterile feel of the other spinoffs. Maybe it was something else, I just don't know.

the doctor character in enterprise was terrific! I really enjoyed the series and have it on dvd!
I haven't indulged in voyager or deep space nine yet.  I'm waiting for the right mood, then I will plow through each series in a couple weeks on netflix.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Sambo on January 08, 2014, 09:27:37 AM
Darmok was my fave episode

oh man.  i really get annoyed by that episode.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: ziznak on January 08, 2014, 12:09:31 PM
I loved Jordy's reading rainbow series.  When did he get his eyes fixed?

i'm glad you mentioned geordi (jordy will suffice).  while i like his character and wouldn't want to see geordi played by anyone else, levar burton's acting in tng was sometimes reeeeeeally bad.  he had a tendency to do that fake stutter thing actors sometimes do in order to try and look like they're not acting.  a lot of child actors are known for this.  the kid from walking dead comes to mind.

Kinda cool. You can go to the CBS web site, pull down the shows 'drawer' and all the Trek series are available to play there...... and some other blasts from the past.

ziznak

Quote from: Unquenchable Angst on January 08, 2014, 01:55:18 PM
Kinda cool. You can go to the CBS web site, pull down the shows 'drawer' and all the Trek series are available to play there...... and some other blasts from the past.
fo free!?  I was actually thinking I may go back and watch some.  I was never a big fan and only watched random re-runs off all the spin offs.  I liked deep space nine the most... i think.  Which one was whoopi on again?

Sambo

Quote from: MV on January 08, 2014, 12:19:25 PM

It makes me cry. And it's another great example of TNG passing on cultural/historical capital. I never heard of the epic of Gilgamesh until that episode

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on January 08, 2014, 12:19:25 PM

Falkie and Bart Ell at Bellgab.

ziznak

Quote from: Sambo on January 08, 2014, 03:02:32 PM
It makes me cry. And it's another great example of TNG passing on cultural/historical capital. I never heard of the epic of Gilgamesh until that episode
I remember back in the day there was a graphic novel series called Gilgamesh.  It was really well done and was my introduction to the story. 

I hate TV shows when they start bringing in relatives of the major characters.  NG did a lot of that.  Think about Seinfeld - the lamer shows were the ones featuring George's and Jerry's parents (the episode with Elaine's dad being the exception to the rule - that guy apparently scared them on the set in real life and they didn't have him back).

My least favorite of the original series was the Trouble with Tribbles.  Apparently that one ranks high on the fans favorite list AND the most disliked list.

jazmunda

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 08, 2014, 03:38:01 PM
I hate TV shows when they start bringing in relatives of the major characters.  NG did a lot of that.  Think about Seinfeld - the lamer shows were the ones featuring George's and Jerry's parents (the episode with Elaine's dad being the exception to the rule - that guy apparently scared them on the set in real life and they didn't have him back).

My least favorite of the original series was the Trouble with Tribbles.  Apparently that one ranks high on the fans favorite list AND the most disliked list.

George's parents are hysterical. Jerry's not as much but they certainly don't ruin the show.

Quote from: ziznak on January 08, 2014, 03:02:21 PM
fo free!?  I was actually thinking I may go back and watch some.  I was never a big fan and only watched random re-runs off all the spin offs.  I liked deep space nine the most... i think.  Which one was whoopi on again?

Fo Free, Fo Sure! all CBS shit and many classics.

Earth: Final Conflict and Andromeda , Two other Roddenberry project shows~~~~ Any one follow those? I watched but kind felt indifferent to them.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Sambo on January 08, 2014, 03:02:32 PM

darmok and gilad!!!!   at tanagra!!!!!!!!!!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Paper*Boy on January 08, 2014, 03:38:01 PM
...(the episode with Elaine's dad being the exception to the rule - that guy apparently scared them on the set in real life and they didn't have him back).

lawrence tierney.  he was stealing silverware from the lunch table.  they were probably going to have him back had he not been so troublesome to work with.  did you ever see the interview with chris penn where he talks about working with tierney on reservoir dogs?  what a crazy cat.

nbirnes

Quote from: MV on January 08, 2014, 05:12:14 PM
lawrence tierney.  he was stealing silverware from the lunch table.  they were probably going to have him back had he not been so troublesome to work with.  did you ever see the interview with chris penn where he talks about working with tierney on reservoir dogs?  what a crazy cat.

How do you *know* these things?!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: nbirnes on January 08, 2014, 05:17:27 PM
How do you *know* these things?!

generally, i just piece together concocted facts which are seemingly plausible and present them as reality.  it usually works.

nbirnes

Quote from: MV on January 08, 2014, 05:19:21 PM
generally, i just piece together concocted facts which are seemingly plausible and present them as reality.  it usually works.

et voilà! fruitcake!

MV/Liberace!

actually, it was a butcher knife tierney tried to steal.

nbirnes

Quote from: MV on January 08, 2014, 05:34:18 PM
actually, it was a butcher knife tierney tried to steal.

Here is an amazing link by an amazing writer. Tierney at 80. http://www.eddiemuller.com/tierney.html