• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

I can only go by my own kid, but I think it's unusual to see such a young baby giving you a belly laugh like that. Olivia is too, too cute in her USCG uniform!

lonevoice

I'm guessing sardondi will be coming back infrequently, if at all. 

There was a disturbance in the force that began with Art posting on facebook that his non-compete with Premiere had just expired and he was considering a return to broadcasting.  Prior to that, my favorite thing to do on this forum was to read old posts, mostly those between sardondi and eddie coyle.  They were amazing, and kept me doing searches on wikipedia to understand some of the topics and references they discussed.  I learned from them.  I also enjoyed reading the old political debates between sardondi and onan before the politics thread went to hell.  It was so unusual to see two people with such utterly opposing political views have such civil discourse as sardondi and onan once managed.  I learned from them.

I'm feeling nostalgic.

ETA:  Oh, my, HorrorRetro!  Just saw your Olivia pic, and she is one of the cutest babies ever.

McPhallus

Quote from: analog kid on November 23, 2013, 04:07:56 PM
Well Eddie Coyle isn't currently around, which is lame. And I blame those trolly newbs, and I'll take a pass on the whole infernal Art Bell Quits thread.

That thread really is turning into a sewer. 

Ravenna

Quote from: lonevoice on November 23, 2013, 04:15:30 PM

There was a disturbance in the force that began with Art posting on facebook that his non-compete with Premiere had just expired and he was considering a return to broadcasting.  Prior to that, my favorite thing to do on this forum was to read old posts, mostly those between sardondi and eddie coyle.  They were amazing, and kept me doing searches on wikipedia to understand some of the topics and references they discussed.  I learned from them.  I also enjoyed reading the old political debates between sardondi and onan before the politics thread went to hell.  It was so unusual to see two people with such utterly opposing political views have such civil discourse as sardondi and onan once managed.  I learned from them.

I'm feeling nostalgic.

I miss Sardondi's posts too:  he was one of my favorite posters.  Very intelligent guy.

BobGrau

Quote from: analog kid on November 23, 2013, 04:36:54 AM
A lack of friends carries a higher risk of death than obesity and is the equivalent health risk of smoking 15 cigarettes a day.

Plus, if you smoke it means you're cool and will have lots of friends. So it all balances out in the end.

eddie dean

Quote from: McPhallus on November 23, 2013, 04:21:24 PM
That thread really is turning into a sewer.

+100
I need to find a fun replacement thread, any suggestions?

Quote from: Ravenna on November 23, 2013, 03:37:26 PM
Is that stuff super sweet though?  I like a less sweet whiskey than most of the Irish ones seem to be.  Chivas Regal is my fave, although I also like Black Label and Glenfiddich.

It is sweet. I was drinking out of a high-ball glass last night so didn't really notice it. I read your comment and then poured an ounce into a snifter just now and yep pretty sweet. Not as sweet as a Rusty Nail or any kind of whiskey/vanilla liquor mix.

You don't like sweet liqours or just sweet whiskey? I drink anise-flavored liquors all the time after dinner (Sambuca or Pernod) but I know people that hate them. I also drink Cointreau up.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on November 23, 2013, 04:11:27 PM
I can only go by my own kid, but I think it's unusual to see such a young baby giving you a belly laugh like that. Olivia is too, too cute in her USCG uniform!

Quote from: lonevoice on November 23, 2013, 04:15:30 PM

I'm feeling nostalgic.

ETA:  Oh, my, HorrorRetro!  Just saw your Olivia pic, and she is one of the cutest babies ever.

Thanks for the baby compliments!  She's a keeper, for sure.

I agree.  It would be a shame if members such as EC and Sardondi were no longer active here. I've looked forward to their posts since I joined.

analog kid

Quote from: BobGrau on November 23, 2013, 05:23:40 PM
Plus, if you smoke it means you're cool and will have lots of friends. So it all balances out in the end.

I'm 42, smoke, drink heavily, eat mainly junk food, have major depression, dysthymia, OCD, social phobia, all extreme and untreated, and I'm a friendless recluse living in a remote area in the woods of Southern Louisiana. I'd say my odds aren't very good.  ;)

Quote from: analog kid on November 23, 2013, 06:58:32 PM
I'm 42, smoke, drink heavily, eat mainly junk food, have major depression, dysthymia, OCD, social phobia, all extreme and untreated, and I'm a friendless recluse living in a remote area in the woods of Southern Louisiana. I'd say my odds aren't very good.  ;)

Turmeric.  ;)

HorrorRetro

I made stew tonight.  I usually make Guinness stew.  If I don't have Guinness, I'll use Sheaf stout or Sam Adams' cream stout.  All I had on hand was chocolate stout, so I took a gamble and used two large bottles of that.  Sweet baby Jesus, that was good stew! I think I'll make it this way from now on.

BobGrau

Quote from: analog kid on November 23, 2013, 06:58:32 PM

Most of my friends are recluses. Not sure what that makes me.

Has Sardondi officially checked out of this forum?  I know he was threatening to do so a couple weeks ago but then got a big dose of love -- I got the vibe he decided to stick around.  I haven't see Paperboy's name in the last couple days.  Even QuickKarl has been absent on the political threads of late (and considering he was the most frequent poster over the last couple months, his departure is evident).  I haven't encountered NowhereinTime on the poli threads in a few days either. 

Has everybody got a major "butt hurt" going on?

McPhallus

I was under the impression Sardondi was taking a break due to the pallid stench emanating from a certain thread and the way it's been taken over by the boorish noobs. 

Things are always changing on forums, although I have to say this one has seen happier times.  People come and go.  I myself was absent for about six months before I recently came back.  Stick around; things will change.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on November 23, 2013, 09:36:16 PM
Has Sardondi officially checked out of this forum?  I know he was threatening to do so a couple weeks ago but then got a big dose of love -- I got the vibe he decided to stick around.  I haven't see Paperboy's name in the last couple days.  Even QuickKarl has been absent on the political threads of late (and considering he was the most frequent poster over the last couple months, his departure is evident).  I haven't encountered NowhereinTime on the poli threads in a few days either. 

Has everybody got a major "butt hurt" going on?

zeebo

Quote from: Ravenna on November 23, 2013, 03:37:26 PM
Is that stuff super sweet though?  I like a less sweet whiskey than most of the Irish ones seem to be.  Chivas Regal is my fave, although I also like Black Label and Glenfiddich.

Ravenna, my Chivas pal!  How I'd hoped we'd have many more nights together sipping that rich, caramel elixir of the earth whilest listening to Art and posting various witticisms on the Bellgab live forum.  However, those times were fleeting it seems, and I can only hope that one day we may be so blessed again in the future. 

In the meantime btw, I've picked up another copy of Storm of Swords, as you recommended, and, Westeros family tree in hand, will pick up where I left off somewhere in the middle and take another shot at finishing it.  I do so want to see how Tyrion and Arya fare - No don't tell me!  :) 

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on November 23, 2013, 02:35:23 AM
I'm drinking Bushmills Irish Honey (for the first time). I recommend it.

Monk, have you tried Johnny Walker Gold?  I tasted it once at a JW marketing event, and it has a lightly honey flavor.  Good stuff as I remember.

Btw I'm starting to think you're a kindred spirit, what with your double affinity for whiskey and scifi/fantasy books. 

Ravenna

Quote from: BobGrau on November 23, 2013, 08:26:27 PM
Most of my friends are recluses. Not sure what that makes me.

I wish I could be a recluse.  Alas, I have to work.  But I prefer online friends to real life ones:  hence, I think I'd make a good recluse.  Plus, I love to drink and I enjoy junk food.  Alas, I do not smoke (at least "tobacco").

Ravenna

Quote from: zeebo on November 23, 2013, 10:44:23 PM
Ravenna, my Chivas pal!  How I'd hoped we'd have many more nights together sipping that rich, caramel elixir of the earth whilest listening to Art and posting various witticisms on the Bellgab live forum.  However, those times were fleeting it seems, and I can only hope that one day we may be so blessed again in the future. 

In the meantime btw, I've picked up another copy of Storm of Swords, as you recommended, and, Westeros family tree in hand, will pick up where I left off somewhere in the middle and take another shot at finishing it.  I do so want to see how Tyrion and Arya fare - No don't tell me!  :)

Chivas is my go-to blended scotch.  So smooth.  One of the few I drink straight by preference.  And, only *slightly* sweet.  If I want a blended scotch with a bit more bite to it, I go for Black Label. 

Glad you picked 'A Storm of Swords' back up.  Srsly, at the halfway mark is just when it starts getting good.  The last quarter of that book is near unputdownable, and it has one of the best endings I've read *ever.*

Next for your reading assignment is 'The Crystal Cave' by Mary Stewart.  The best re-telling of the King Arthur legend that exists, especially as seen from the eyes of Merlin.  Probably my fave book *ever.*

Heather Wade

Wow, I didn't know anyone else on Earth had read The Crystal Cave.  Love that story, so beautifully written, every page.

Ravenna

Quote from: McPhallus on November 23, 2013, 10:12:40 PM
I was under the impression Sardondi was taking a break due to the pallid stench emanating from a certain thread and the way it's been taken over by the boorish noobs. 

Things are always changing on forums, although I have to say this one has seen happier times.  People come and go.  I myself was absent for about six months before I recently came back.  Stick around; things will change.

I think things will quiet down after all the furor over Art Bell quitting Dark Matter dies down.  And it will, and in about a month when there is finally nothing more to feed it.  (If Art does decide to sue Sirius to get out of the non-compete, as I am in no way really sure that he will, things on the Art Bell News Cycle will come to a near-halt for many months, other than what latest paranormal podcaster is going to be streaming his show from Art's website).

Ravenna

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 23, 2013, 11:53:55 PM
Wow, I didn't know anyone else on Earth had read The Crystal Cave.  Love that story, so beautifully written, every page.

That book is a masterpiece.  It is the most sympathetic, most spiritual rendering of Merlin that has ever been written:  plain and simple.  I re-read it every 5 years or so as a kind of pilgrimage.  (The book that is its follow-up, The Hollow Hills, is nearly as good.  Mary Stewart was deeply inspired when she wrote those books, obviously).

Heather Wade

Quote from: Ravenna on November 24, 2013, 12:00:01 AM
That book is a masterpiece.  It is the most sympathetic, most spiritual rendering of Merlin that has ever been written:  plain and simple.  I re-read it every 5 years or so as a kind of pilgrimage.  (The book that is its follow-up, The Hollow Hills, is nearly as good.  Mary Stewart was deeply inspired when she wrote those books, obviously).

I have not read it in a long time.  You've inspired a re-read.   :D

Quote from: zeebo on November 23, 2013, 10:49:05 PM
Monk, have you tried Johnny Walker Gold?  I tasted it once at a JW marketing event, and it has a lightly honey flavor.  Good stuff as I remember.

Btw I'm starting to think you're a kindred spirit, what with your double affinity for whiskey and scifi/fantasy books.
I haven't tried JW Gold, but I will keep a look out for it. This is my first try of alternate scotches. I just noticed there were like chili scotches and lots of flavored scotches out there so I though I would give one a try. Usually if I want a sweeter scotch I will just make a Rusty Nail.

Thanks and it goes both ways, so if you read a good sci-fi book let me know so I can check it out!
As a weird side note when I went to India everyone wanted to talk to me about--Whiskey and SciFi novels. People are serious whiskey officiandos over there.

McPhallus

Don't people actually meet in real life anymore?  I haven't had a regular group of "hangout" friends since sometime in 2001.

Quote from: Ravenna on November 23, 2013, 11:47:17 PM
I wish I could be a recluse.  Alas, I have to work.  But I prefer online friends to real life ones:  hence, I think I'd make a good recluse.  Plus, I love to drink and I enjoy junk food.  Alas, I do not smoke (at least "tobacco").

Noorynoid

Feeling the deep, dark sadness of the loss of Dark Matter, I have decided to embark upon on a nicotine addiction habit.

If it feels right, then do it, right?

(edited for political correctness)

Noorynoid

Quote from: McPhallus on November 24, 2013, 12:07:50 AM
Don't people actually meet in real life anymore?  I haven't had a regular group of "hangout" friends since sometime in 2001.

Our group of former computer nerds meet every Friday night down at the local park, rain or shine. You like box wine?

McPhallus

Quote from: Noorynoid on November 24, 2013, 12:29:15 AM
Our group of former computer nerds meet every Friday night down at the local park, rain or shine. You like box wine?

Cool.  I'll bring the Chinese cigars.