• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Will you go towards the light or the dark?

Started by jazmunda, October 30, 2012, 12:37:29 AM

I honestly do not understand what you expressed above.  I am interested, though.  Could you restate it in simpler terms?  I sometimes have trouble wrapping my mind around such things, my brain tends to freeze up, then I have to force quit and lose all input.  I hate when that happens  ;)

Eegah

Go to the dark side, I hear they have cookies!  :P

Quote from: Eegah on January 24, 2013, 02:06:17 AM
Go to the dark side, I hear they have cookies!  :P
Can I bring a torch, or must I remain always in the dark (both literally and metaphorically).....wait...you say there are cookies there? Well, that makes all the difference in the world! *thinks about it momentarily* what kind of cookies? I'm not going to turn for just any cookie!
:P right back atcha!
;) :)

(your avatar is adorable!!!!!!)

CrabbyOld Bat

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 23, 2013, 07:30:43 PM
I honestly do not understand what you expressed above.  I am interested, though.  Could you restate it in simpler terms?  I sometimes have trouble wrapping my mind around such things, my brain tends to freeze up, then I have to force quit and lose all input.  I hate when that happens  ;)

Sorry, I should have expressed things more clearly.  :-[

Basically, if we just enjoy life for what it is and not base that enjoyment on the possibility of there being something more after death, then there's nothing cruel about whatever created us.

Is that better or did I just muddy the water even more?

(Those dark side cookies sure are tempting, but I hear the light side is making brownies.  :-\ )

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 23, 2013, 01:47:36 PM
I’ve been thinking about this, whatever brought us to where we are now as a species, whether it is/was what we consider a god, or just evolution, it has played a mean trick on us if there is no afterlife.
Why even make us sentient, why make us love, why make us care, why make us conscious of our own eventual death?
How cruel is that?

Sounds like you might benefit from a look at Buddhism. Especially Nichiren Daishonin. Not everything is black and white. ;-)

Quote from: CrabbyOld Bat on January 24, 2013, 08:48:58 AM
Sorry, I should have expressed things more clearly.  :-[

Basically, if we just enjoy life for what it is and not base that enjoyment on the possibility of there being something more after death, then there's nothing cruel about whatever created us.

Is that better or did I just muddy the water even more?

(Those dark side cookies sure are tempting, but I hear the light side is making brownies.  :-\ )

It’s okay, it’s me, I have trouble sometimes (as in A LOT) interpreting things. I have a tendency to either read into things something that is not there, or overlook something of importance altogether.
I understand what you mean now. The sad thing is some people in ‘this’ world do not have a lot of options, so belief in an afterlife, given another chance so to speak, gives hope (even if it could be a false one.)
Like children who have terminal illnesses and have never even been given the chance to live.
(And I understand the concept of religions offering heaven to those who are good, not only as an incentive to be so, but as a means of control as well. I just want to believe there is much more to it than that.)

(Not to mention I have this insatiable curiosity of just about everything (except pro sports) and it sort of consumes me.)

And concerning those cookies vs brownies. Those brownies are extremely tempting, but I am (mildly, not the anaphylaxis type) allergic to chocolate (curse you cacao tree!) and, in fact, currently have hives from indulging to raise endorphins in a more yummy, though itchy, way.
Why is it that one may have cravings for something that is not good for them?
Now, if they are those ones called Blondies, that is a brownie of a different colour/flavour.....
hey, wait a minute, aren’t apples supposed to be the conventional offer of temptation?
And yes, I would have probably picked the forbidden fruit of knowledge and at least licked it.
And yes, someone told me it is no longer believed to be an apple but a pomegranate or olive or date or some such thing.
I would lick it anyway.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 24, 2013, 09:06:38 AM

Sounds like you might benefit from a look at Buddhism. Especially Nichiren Daishonin. Not everything is black and white. ;-)

I thank you for your suggestion  :) .
I am not all that familiar with different religious beliefs other than Christianity, which is
what I was brought up in. 
I just sort of think a lot about things, question, then try and form what for me seems rational.
Of course it is an endless quest, but I am nothing if not persistent  :)

Oh, and what I think seems rational, is not always what others might.
But it is my perogative, as it is everyones.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 24, 2013, 09:06:38 AM

Not everything is black and white. ;-)

I am a firm believer in what lies between the B&W....let's see, there is CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUV  :)
Sorry, I just could not resist. ;) :) :)

I was thinking once again about what you wrote, CrabbyOld Bat.
Maybe whatever caused us to be sentient was not cruel after all.
We, in our sentientness <(don't know if that is an actual word), created cruelty as well as love and hate and every other emotion that spurs us on.
We were given sentientness to do with as we please?

See, this is what frustrates and confuses me.  There are so many sides to everything.  So many opinions.
Sometimes I think all we really know for sure is we are physically born and then we physically die (and even then I wonder is it so?)
Then there is that time in-between, that slate we fill in.

CrabbyOld Bat

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 25, 2013, 07:06:09 AM
I was thinking once again about what you wrote, CrabbyOld Bat.
Maybe whatever caused us to be sentient was not cruel after all.
We, in our sentientness <(don't know if that is an actual word), created cruelty as well as love and hate and every other emotion that spurs us on.
We were given sentientness to do with as we please?

Hmm. So maybe our sentience was a clean slate initially and we built our own library of emotions out of it? Interesting! Too bad we didn't stop with joy, happiness, and love, eh? 

QuoteSee, this is what frustrates and confuses me.  There are so many sides to everything.  So many opinions.
Sometimes I think all we really know for sure is we are physically born and then we physically die (and even then I wonder is it so?)
Then there is that time in-between, that slate we fill in.

Here's another thought to add to the confusion. Science is practically on the verge of figuring out how to make us immortal, though there are all sorts of potential problems if that ever became a reality. Talk about having a lot of time to fill! And what happens to religious afterlife beliefs then?

Quote from: CrabbyOld Bat on January 26, 2013, 02:05:08 AM
Here's another thought to add to the confusion. Science is practically on the verge of figuring out how to make us immortal, though there are all sorts of potential problems if that ever became a reality. Talk about having a lot of time to fill! And what happens to religious afterlife beliefs then?

Oh, geez!!! Back to the drawing board!  :)
I did read recently about the Immortal Jellyfish, which was interesting.
Aren't scientists trying to find ways to download our psyche into something inorganic (like in robotics, not a rock.)

CrabbyOld Bat

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 26, 2013, 10:55:32 AM
Aren't scientists trying to find ways to download our psyche into something inorganic (like in robotics, not a rock.)

I'm not familiar with that.

Are they trying to create robots that have human emotions? Or some sort of hybrid computer to solve Homo sapien science mysteries ? Or...?

CrabbyOld Bat

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 28, 2013, 05:05:18 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/may/22/theobserver.technology
Only 37 more years, if his prediction is correct.  For the wealthy, at least.

http://www.gizmag.com/avatar-project-2045/23454/
and this even sooner!

Or maybe this-
SHUT UP DAMN IT!!!
Futurama - Ah, Booze Money

Interesting possibilities. At the rate science progresses, who knows? It might happen. But I'm not sure I'd want to live forever even if I could. Fortunately (?), one way or another humans will probably destroy Earth and all life on it before I have to decide.

BobGrau

Light moves rather quickly. Even if you go towards it, you'll never catch it.
On the other hand, if it wants to catch YOU, it can.

yikes.

Quote from: CrabbyOld Bat on January 28, 2013, 05:35:49 PM
Interesting possibilities. At the rate science progresses, who knows? It might happen. But I'm not sure I'd want to live forever even if I could. Fortunately (?), one way or another humans will probably destroy Earth and all life on it before I have to decide.

I do not know that I would want to live forever, although there is just so much to experience in this world that one realized physical lifetime is, sadly, not enough.

The continued destruction of earth by humans is of grave (not meant as a pun) concern.  Whether all life is wiped out in an instant by human folly, or we just continue feeding off it until, sooner than later, use it up until nothing is left with which to support life. :(

Quote from: BobGrau on January 28, 2013, 06:47:53 PM
Light moves rather quickly. Even if you go towards it, you'll never catch it.
On the other hand, if it wants to catch YOU, it can.
yikes.

Maybe I do not wish to catch it, just bathe in it.

Caruthers612

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on October 30, 2012, 01:03:17 AM

I'm a Cancer(a crab who lives under rocks) who is photophobic, heliophobic and burns easily. I'm an insomniac who hates the sun more than Johnny Winter and the guy in "The Eiger Sanction"

Merely using that as a baseline...not including my agnosticism,cynicism,skepticism...It's likely I'm headed on a Downbound Train into an abyss.

Holy crap, where have you been all my life, EC? I offer you my anus in the traditional sufi act of devotion. Add to that your use of a Mahavishnu Orchestra album cover and it's true love. That and a few stitches.

Not a morning person, so I'll take the dark. . .otherwise, I, too, will be headed, most likely, for the Waffle House.

mombird3

What about the free will aspect of life?  Was that what you are talking about. There are a lot of cruel people in the world. I have met some of them. It makes me wonder how this happens.  I believe there is a direct link between what we do in our lives and the way we must pay for it, either in this life and/or the after life. i am not talking about sin. Just acts of every day life.

Here’s a thought, if we are discussing death and not Star Wars.
If all time remains, both past, present and future, on some plane or dimension of existence,
then we never really die because at some point, we are still in existence maybe?
Forever being born, forever living, forever dying always there somewhere?
At first I thought it would explain the past and possibly the present, but not the future, but
if tomorrow is already there (barring as an individual or whatever, we die today) then so are we. Already there.
Or something like that.
I don’t know if I explained that very well.

Because if there would be such a thing as time-travel (and not just in our imagination, in which you can travel anywhere you want), then the past and future has to still be there, right?

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on February 06, 2013, 06:56:40 AM
Here’s a thought, if we are discussing death and not Star Wars.
If all time remains, both past, present and future, on some plane or dimension of existence,
then we never really die because at some point, we are still in existence maybe?
Forever being born, forever living, forever dying always there somewhere?
At first I thought it would explain the past and possibly the present, but not the future, but
if tomorrow is already there (barring as an individual or whatever, we die today) then so are we. Already there.
Or something like that.
I don’t know if I explained that very well.

Because if there would be such a thing as time-travel (and not just in our imagination, in which you can travel anywhere you want), then the past and future has to still be there, right?

Our minds need to understand and measure time relationally.  Perhaps the "present" is more unknown than what we identify as the past and future.  For, although we quantify time in the past, and time in the future, how do you quantify or define "The Present"?  Essentially, every millisecond is devoted to incrementally moving into future-time.  Dictionaries define "The Present" as a period of time now occurring - but that is intimating a static nature of time 'The Now', which actually is no different than saying "moving into future-time".  Time can also be defined by perspective and relativity.  As far as the future existing, we're in it "now".

So what you are saying is the only 'now' is the millisecond in which I thought of writing this, and it is now the past and I am in the future?
Ooops, no, now I'm in the past writing this  :)

Escaping the Matrix - Breaking the Cycle of Reincarnation to a Prison Planet/Body - THEY RECYCLE YOUR SOUL by Wes Penre: http://debunkingdeath.blogspot.com/2016/07/david-icke-vs-today-show-hosts-on.html

henge0stone

John Lear was actually quoting what Whitley strieber told him and he apparently didn't even say it right since years later Whitley was like I don't remember that.

Spookingtons

I don't see why that's the option; if the choice is binary, assume the 3rd option then pursue it.

albrecht

Quote from: Spookingtons on January 21, 2018, 04:58:50 AM
I don't see why that's the option; if the choice is binary, assume the 3rd option then pursue it.
According to Karla Turner, RIP, that is the point of the UFO abductions; causing evolution to make us have a tricameral brain. Not sure why the ETs or our "evolution" stops at only a 3rd choice though.

Jojo

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on January 28, 2013, 08:16:50 PM
Maybe I do not wish to catch it, just bathe in it.
One time a rainbow ended on the freeway against an immediate hill.  The golden light transformed everything!  People in cars all looked at each other, amazed.  It was one of my best days ever.  I got to see first hand why they say there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Jojo

Quote from: CrabbyOld Bat on January 27, 2013, 07:07:36 PM
I'm not familiar with that.

Are they trying to create robots that have human emotions? Or some sort of hybrid computer to solve Homo sapien science mysteries ? Or...?
I'm concerned they will introduce hormones to AI.  Scary.  Then robots would have organic drive.

I wonder what it would take for robots to comprehend humor.