• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Aviation Thread - News, facts, questions, photos, videos, etc.

Started by Taaroa, June 04, 2017, 09:15:23 AM

Up All Night

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 12, 2018, 06:00:54 PM
So the US Military Industrial Complex makes a profit on both the aircraft and on the anti-aircraft weapon?  Cool!

That would be like if we could draw back the curtains, and find out that the same ownership is behind corn-syrup production and Diabetes treatments.

albrecht

Quote from: Taaroa on February 12, 2018, 10:53:49 PM
Europe really seems to let Airbus get away with murder. I wonder what the capabilities are that it can't achieve:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-a400m-exclusive/exclusive-europes-a400m-army-plane-may-see-some-features-axed-idUSKBN1FW1TR

Israel acts all indignant over losing a plane when it was the one conducting airstrikes in another country's airspace.
"A spokesman for U.S. Central Command, which oversees U.S. military operations in the Middle East, declined to comment."

"Tal Inbar, head of the Space and UAV Research Center at the Fisher Institute for Air and Space Strategic Studies, said the similarities were clear. Syria, he added, is “a laboratory for Iran to test out new weapons and new tactics.”*

*where have we seen this type of idea before!  ;) And, laughing, that only Iran would be testing out new weapons and tactics there or elsewhere!

ps: I swear originally I saw some article than Iran "drone" took out the Israeli plane but it would seem separate incidents, provocations, etc. And time-line I can't tell? But I wonder, for the future, if one, if lacking attacking capability, using drones to lure planes etc into traps?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Up All Night on February 12, 2018, 11:45:57 PM
That would be like if we could draw back the curtains, and find out that the same ownership is behind corn-syrup production and Diabetes treatments.

It is. Duh. ::)

Taaroa

Leaping elk brings down low-flying Utah research helicopter
QuoteA research helicopter has crashed after an elk it was trying to capture jumped into its tail rotor, authorities in the United States state of Utah reported.

The accident happened as crew tried to drop a net on the animal as the aircraft flew about three metres above ground in a mountainous part of eastern Utah, the Wasatch County Sheriff's Office's Jared Rigby said.

The two people on board were not seriously hurt, but the elk died of its injuries Monday afternoon.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-14/utah-helicopter-crashes-after-elk-it-was-pursuing-leaps-at-it/9446066

Taaroa

Charleston helicopter accident could be 1st drone-caused aviation crash in U.S.
QuoteInitial reports indicate a low-flying helicopter that had been hired for a flight lesson crashed Wednesday while trying to avoid a drone buzzing nearby.
The flight instructor made a hard turn about 50 feet above the tree line, and as he moved to dodge the drone, the helicopter’s tail nicked something â€" brush or a small tree. The pilot lost control as the helicopter fell to its side.

"The NTSB is aware of the pilot’s report that he was maneuvering to avoid a drone, but the NTSB has not yet been able to independently verify that information," NTSB spokesman Christopher O'Neil said.

Under federal law, drones have to be flown within eyeshot of their pilots and they have to keep clear of manned aircraft to avoid accidents.

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/charleston-helicopter-accident-could-be-st-drone-caused-aviation-crash/article_bee82a7e-133f-11e8-bf2d-cf5b3f26c09b.html

albrecht

through the Freedom of Information Act, we present what could be one of the most insightful instances of official documentation surrounding such an encounter that had already been confirmed to have occurred by both the FAA and the USAF. These materials include fascinating audio recordings of radio transmissions and phone calls made as the incident was unfolding, as well as pilot interviews, and conversations between FAA officials made in the aftermath of the highly peculiar incident.
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18473/faa-recordings-deepen-mystery-surrounding-ufo-over-oregon-that-sent-f-15s-scrambling

pate

Quote from: Taaroa on February 16, 2018, 08:02:40 PM
Charleston helicopter accident could be 1st drone-caused aviation crash in U.S.

Reading only the headline, I now feel like it is my duty to ensure the safety of my fellow Americans to use any Jeff Bezox operated delivery drones as shotgun target practice clay pigeons...

PULL!

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taaroa on February 21, 2018, 06:36:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ0ZQesixms

World's first ducted fan powered a/c?

Lots of very ugly aircraft in the later interwar years, with the French and Italians taking a back seat to no one in that department.

Taaroa

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 21, 2018, 08:23:07 AM
World's first ducted fan powered a/c?

Pretty much. Read about the designer and he seemed to have had a chip on his shoulder for not receiving more credit for leading to the creation of the turbofan.

https://youtu.be/qsGR8BLhbr8

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Taaroa on February 23, 2018, 05:48:08 AM
Pretty much. Read about the designer and he seemed to have had a chip on his shoulder for not receiving more credit for leading to the creation of the turbofan.

https://youtu.be/qsGR8BLhbr8

Syria has become the Spanish Civil War of this century.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on February 23, 2018, 07:43:45 AM
Syria has become the Spanish Civil War of this century.
See my post a few posts above. It is ADMITTED:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airbus-a400m-exclusive/exclusive-europes-a400m-army-plane-may-see-some-features-axed-idUSKBN1FW1TR
"A spokesman for U.S. Central Command, which oversees U.S. military operations in the Middle East, declined to comment."
""Tal Inbar, head of the Space and UAV Research Center at the Fisher Institute for Air and Space Strategic Studies, said the similarities were clear. Syria, he added, is “a laboratory for Iran to test out new weapons and new tactics.”

Taaroa

EA-18G crew suffered from frostbite after ECS failed in flight
QuoteThe two-seater EA-18G was cruising at 25,000 feet Jan. 29, about 60 miles south of Seattle on a flight from Washington State’s Naval Air Station Whidbey Island to Naval Weapons Station China Lake. The crew received a warning that the system that controls the cockpit air temperature and cabin pressure, known as the environmental control system, was icing.

By the time the flight was over, an elite aircrew with Air Test and Evaluation Squadron Nine was being rushed for medical treatment, and yet another failure of the EA-18G Growler’s environmental control system.
The temperature inside the cockpit suddenly plunged to temperatures reaching -30 degrees and a mist pumped into the the cockpit, covering the instruments and windows in a layer of ice, rendering the pilots almost completely blind, according to several sources familiar with the incident and an internal report obtained by Defense News.

The fog inside the aircraft iced over the instrument panel, forcing the pilot and electronic warfare officer to use a Garmin watch to keep track of their heading and altitude while air controllers began relaying instructions to the crew. The pilot and EWO were forced to use the emergency oxygen supply, which was completely depleted by the end of the flight.

A heroic effort by the two-person crew and the ground-based controllers managed to guide the aircraft back to Whidbey Island, but both pilot and EWO suffered serious injuries due to frostbite. The aircrew suffered from “severe blistering and burns on hands,” according to the Navy internal report.
https://www.defensenews.com/breaking-news/2018/02/23/flying-blind-and-freezing-navy-investigating-terrifying-ea-18g-growler-flight/

This is a bit unclear to me - did their environmental system fail and start spewing out extremely cold air, or did it fail and the crew just stayed at a cold altitude (25000ft ~ -34C)?

Japan designed Izumo-class to operate STOVL fighters
QuoteAnonymous former Japan former Maritime Self-Defense Force officials told the Asahi Shimbun that the Izumo-class helicopter destroyers were design to operate short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) fighters from the beginning. One person said during the design phase of the ship, consideration was given to have the F-35B operate from the Izumo someday.

The former MSDF executives added that a skijump was to be added when the ship is required to operate the F-35B.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201802230054.html

Taaroa

I feel like what they're talking about in this article is way too optimistic, and it doesn't really address the amount of fuel needed and the noise issues that have been barriers to another supersonic airliner. 

Speed chaser â€" Boom and the rebirth of the supersonic airliner
http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/02/speed-chaser-boom-and-the-rebirth-of-the-supersonic-airliner/

I like the logo apart from the giant â,,¢ in the corner.

BELL HELICOPTER REBRANDS TO “BELL”
QuoteTextron subsidiary Bell Helicopter has been rebranded and the company is now simply known as Bell. The company also rolled out a new logo along with the name change.

http://news.bellhelicopter.com/en-US/164199-aviation-pioneer-bell-helicopter-rebrands-to-bell-reflecting-expanded-vision-for-the-future

Hog

Quote from: Taaroa on February 12, 2018, 10:53:49 PM
Europe really seems to let Airbus get away with murder. I wonder what the capabilities are that it can't achieve:

Israel acts all indignant over losing a plane when it was the one conducting airstrikes in another country's airspace.
What are some of the Pro's and Con's when choosing a Turbo-prop vs. Turbo-fan technology on such heavy lifters?

peace
Hog

Taaroa

Quote from: Hog on February 27, 2018, 03:03:38 PM
What are some of the Pro's and Con's when choosing a Turbo-prop vs. Turbo-fan technology on such heavy lifters?

Turboprops as a general rule are more efficient for slow speed short range flights at a lower altitude, while turbofans are better for long range higher speed flights at higher altitudes:

I would guess for the A400:
-it's not meant for long range and heavy cargo flights like the C17, but rather intended for use like the C130
-shorter takeoff/landing performance
-reduced risk of damage from landing on rough strips

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Up All Night on February 12, 2018, 05:12:48 AM
Pilots ejected before this Israeli F-16 crashed inside Israel after being hit by an anti-aircraft missile inside Syria. I assume the missile system was made in Russia and sold to Iran initially.

https://warisboring.com/50408-2/

Assuming the article is correct, the F-16 was lost because the crew were doing real time BDA.  No drones or satellite coverage?

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Taaroa on February 27, 2018, 09:42:01 PM
Turboprops as a general rule are more efficient for slow speed short range flights at a lower altitude, while turbofans are better for long range higher speed flights at higher altitudes:

Aren't there also concerns with turbofans getting FOD into the intakes (at less improved airfields, for example) that turboprops don't have?

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Lord Grantham on March 01, 2018, 01:24:09 PM
Aren't there also concerns with turbofans getting FOD into the intakes (at less improved airfields, for example) that turboprops don't have?

Turboprops have air intakes as well, but they are generally less prone to FOD due to their location (height above the ground) compared to low slung, pod mounted turbojets/turbofans.  Some jets, such as the A-10, reduce FOD potential by placement of the engines.

Hog

Quote from: Taaroa on February 27, 2018, 09:42:01 PM

I would guess for the A400:
-it's not meant for long range and heavy cargo flights like the C17, but rather intended for use like the C130
-shorter takeoff/landing performance
-reduced risk of damage from landing on rough strips

Thanks Taaroa, it looks like the A-400 fills a niche between the Super Herc and the GlobeMaster-III.

max takeoff weight:
C-130J:  164,000 lb (74,393 kg) for C-130J-30
A-400M:  310,852 lb (141,000 kg)
C-17:  585,000 lb (265,350 kg)
C-5:  840,000 lb (381,000 kg)
A225:  1,410,958 lb (640,000 kg)

The A-400M's Tactical takeoff distance: 980 m (3,215 ft), aircraft weight 100 tonnes (98 long tons; 110 short tons), soft field, ISA, sea level is also impressive.

peace
Hog

Hog

White House announcement of Feb 27, 2018.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/27/the-white-house-has-cut-a-deal-with-boeing-for-two-new-air-force-ones-nbc-news.html

US$3,900,000,000 contract with Boeing for 2 unsold 747-8I's to replace the 2 AirForce VC-25-A.  The 2 new aircraft will be designated as VC-25B.  The deal is supposed to save taxpayers US$1.3 billion by not ordering new a/c by using new unsold units that are currently stored in the Mojave Desert for corrosion reduction.
Stock the Intercontinentals can cruise at Mach 0.855 for 8,000 N/M(15,000km).

Max Operating Speed=Mach 0.9
Boeing states that the 747-8I is the world's fastest commercial jet. (516 kn; 956 km/h)

It would be cool to see the "Options List" after all the modifications are completed.

peace
Hog

Taaroa

Quote from: Lord Grantham on March 01, 2018, 01:24:09 PM
I said that didn't I? Uncle Duke is right, but I'd also add that with a turboprop the intakes are a bit smaller or in 'weird' places (there are some where the engine layout is reversed, so you have air intake and compression at the rear and exhaust at the front). You generally see turboprops used on fields that are unprepared - and more likely to cause FOD - because 1) they perform better there and 2) they're less likely to get damaged.

In Australia there's a flying medical service called the Royal Flying Doctor which helps people living in the outback, and due to the small and unprepared strips they normally use their fleet is a combination of PC-12s and Kingairs. With that said, Pilatus have a new light jet in development which is meant to be operated into the same type of fields without any issues and one of their target customers was the Royal Flying Doctor.

Quote from: Hog on March 01, 2018, 04:35:15 PM
it looks like the A-400 fills a niche between the Super Herc and the GlobeMaster-III.
And it's built by the Europeans so they don't have to rely on American or Russian designs and manufacturing.  ;)