• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

EvB

I, too, am a Salinger fan.  But to be perfectly honest, when i heard he'd passed at the ripe age of 91 - my reaction was not so much sorrow as "Oh GOOD JOB J.D.!!"

xpmark12

My dislike of Snoory has reached the point where I will not listen to any of his shows.The more I did listen to him, the more I began to see what a lazy,unschooled person he really is.He is good at reading commercials on the radio and a shallow level conversationalist.George Knapp is the only one I listen to. Snoory knows many surface level topics on C2C but no depth or detailed knowledge whatsoever.

The Bodach

Quote from: xpmark12 on January 29, 2010, 05:03:20 PM
My dislike of Snoory has reached the point where I will not listen to any of his shows.The more I did listen to him, the more I began to see what a lazy,unschooled person he really is.He is good at reading commercials on the radio and a shallow level conversationalist.George Knapp is the only one I listen to. Snoory knows many surface level topics on C2C but no depth or detailed knowledge whatsoever.
What about Ian?  I'm really starting to like him.  He seems to really care about the topics, and engage in actual conversation with the guest -- pointing out any questions that the average listener may have.  Knapp is a decent host; to be honest, I haven't given him much of a chance.  It seems whenever I catch his show, it's some terrible guest/topic.  Like wild horses.  I mean, come on.  I will be trying to listen to him more, though.

Ian comes across as more of a technician -- good at engaging with a guest and conducting an interview with intelligence, but lacking that intangible entertainment value that Art Bell had.  Knapp has that intangible capability -- just listen to his intros on his show.

Again, what a shame that Premier doesn't dump Snoory and put Knapp on full time.  I wonder to what degree Knapp has to walk on eggshells so as not to offend an self-conscious Snoory.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Tom from Hong Kong on January 30, 2010, 10:02:05 AM
I wonder to what degree Knapp has to walk on eggshells so as not to offend an self-conscious Snoory.
i suspect there's more truth behind this question than one might believe at first glance.  the producers who "make c2c happen" are probably well invested in the idea of making sure noboby upstages snoors.  problem is every other host has done so with ease... from punnett and knapp to rollye james and even barbara simpson.  actually, i always kinda liked simpson. 

god, i wish it were 1996 again.

mikemcc

I agree about Barbara Simpson -- didn't she used to be a regular host on Saturday or Sunday nights years ago?

I'll add one more thing about why GN is such a poor host:

I was listening to Art on Michael's streaming shoutcast the other day and Art was talking about one of his (many) impending retirements. One of the reasons he gave, and I'll paraphrase here, is that to do the show right 5 or 6 nights a week -- to do it the way it should be done -- the host has to practically eat/breathe nothing but C2C. That included reading some of the guest's written work, conducting pre-interviews, and engaging in research related to the guest's topic. The reason Art could engage in such interesting CONVERSATIONS is because he knew something about each guest and the topic the guest would discuss.

I am sure that George pretty much goes into each show cold. GN has such hubris that he believes he doesn't have to prepare for a show beyond reading the guest's bio. From what I have heard of his interviews, GN reads one book written by a guest for every 40 shows he does. When he HAS actually read a guest's book, his interviews are somewhat better, as one would expect, though still not up to par with Art's. Why not? Because he is so unused to being engaged in a conversation that he doesn't quite know how to pull that off, even when he is fairly well prepared.

I believe that Art invested quite a lot into each show and that's one of the reasons he was so very good. Ian is even more prepared than Art was, though he has readily admitted on the air that he usually has to prepare for only one show each week, so it is much easier for him than for other hosts. I think the same is true for George Knapp, though as a long-time TV news guy, he is quite used to conducting research and preparing for all of his appearances. (I lived in Vegas for quite a while so had a chance to see him pretty regularly.)     

Still, this is no excuse for George. He is the one who wanted C2C and he is the one making somewhere in the range of $350K in salary. Anyone who is going to host C2C should expect this level of preparation -- anything less is simply cheating the audience. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that if Art, Ian, George Knapp, or any of GN's current producers read this, they'll know that what I have just written is true. They'll never acknowledge this, but they know it is true...

Someone should send this, and/or other relevant threads, into Premier management .  It would only take one glance through the comments here and a modicum of reflection to realize they are jeopardizing the C2C franchise.  I wonder what has actually happened to the number of listeners and revenues since Snoory took over the show; it can't be good, particularly if you adjust for other revenue streams such as internet access.  Does anyone know what the statistics actually are around number of listeners and revenues? Does anyone have views on whether Knapp would accept the role as a full time host if it was offered to him?

My comment above about Knapp walking on eggshells was 100% serious -- this is how organizations hampered by incompetence actually behave.  I have seen it firsthand.

valdez

You missed nothing with Richard Dolan talking about UFOs, and Zacharia Sitchin in the last hour mumbling something about ancient alien visitations, and the next time anyone on C2C uses the word "disclosure", I'm gonna scream.       

Hasn't Richard Heiser pretty much discredited the scholarship (or lack thereof) of Sitchin?  Heiser, who is a classic language scholar who has publicly disclosed his academic credentials (unlike Sitchin), claims Sitchin has effectively manufactured much of his translations supporting his theses. I'm sure that makes no difference to clown Noory.

Ruteger

"Snoory Slurs."  ;D 

Thanks for the guffaw! I feel better now...

MABUSE

Quote from: valdez on February 02, 2010, 05:31:38 AM
     You missed nothing with Richard Dolan talking about UFOs, and Zacharia Sitchin in the last hour mumbling something about ancient alien visitations, and the next time anyone on C2C uses the word "disclosure", I'm gonna scream.       

Sitchin...Zacky the Wonder Poodle...The Tricky Dick Hoaxland of linguistics and ancient history and a Class A Tw*t of the first water.  It goes without saying that in Nuri's pantheon of pathetic paragons of prevarication he is sephiric. 

I recall the old joke retold about Nuri: How can you tell he is lying? His lips are moving.

I herewith present Mabuse's Postulate to the foregoing law:  If a guest is a beloved idol, worshipped by Nuri as a profound life-influence, then said guest is either:
1) a brazen fraud
2) batshit crazy
3) an ubershill or
4) some combination of 1-3.     

Go in peace, the rant is ended

**M**

(PS Sitchin's credentials make Hoxland's look like legitimate achievements of scholarly hard work, Tom)

valdez

I was looking forward to hearing what Richard C. Hoagland thought about the proposed cuts in NASA funding by the Obama administration that will end any future moon missions,  but I wasn't expecting him to go completely nuts.  Something about former Nazis creating a secret space program that knocked out the Russion missile over Norway to intimidate the world governments to cease all space activities outside the earth's orbit.
     I like Richard, and I suppose I should at least read the case he has laid out, but his website gives me a headache, and all his photos look fake, and he uses dashes and ellipses way too much, and you can forget about finding anything that even remotely resembles a paragraph, and...
     Heck.  I'll just take his word for it.

valdez

At first I was distracted by how much Nassim Haramein sounded like Peter Lorre (contemplating a crime) that I couldn't focus on what he was saying, but once I got over that, and I started to listen, I realized how "out of the box" this guy was thinking.  Matter, according to him, is created by the vacuum of space, which is really like a fluid, and when it creates matter it does so in a funnel like vortex which explains why most things, from galaxies, to stars, to atoms, are spinning.  And maybe every atom has, at its core, a black hole.  And maybe our entire universe exist within a black hole.  And maybe this might have been one of George's best shows, and he'll never even know it.

valdez

Fred Bell, a "flying saucer contactee", and generally all around paranoid guy, went as far as to warn us about water, because its radioactive, with all those nuclear bombs that were set off oh so many years ago.  But when he admitted to wearing a pyramid on his head for fifteen years, well, that was all I needed to know.
     I'm really diggin' those Hubble pictures of Pluto.  How could this not be a planet?  I demand it's immediate reinstatement!

brugvu

it's only a conspiracy to a "skeptic"

Ps... a "skeptic" usually makes rash decisions, without properly researching or understanding the "conspiracy" at hand.
and is more times then not too lazy to do any research.

just my personal opinion.  right Mr. Shermer?

waves

Re: Hoagland squawking about Nasa

The thing that really drops my trust in Hoagland is that he pretended for a whole show with great histrionics to be frustrated about Nasa's announcement to halt space station and moon visit plans.......... BUT totally ignored the facts he knows full well - that Nasa's space program is and will always be in full swing out of the public eye, that they're hiding long established bases on the Moon and Mars and maybe all the planets already and technology is mind-bogglingly way more advanced than they're showing.

THAT's the topic, not Nasa's diversionary announcement for whatever reason.

valdez

Dream interpreter Gillian Holloway made for a pleasant couple of hours, and during open lines a lady called to thank George for helping her to make contact with her dead husband, and she began to cry and sob, and it was genuinely sad and moving, and George handled the situation better than I thought he would.
     I been watching some lectures by Nassim Harramein (Wensday's guest) on youtube.  Fascinating.

Oh George Noory occasionally goes off the track of the pre-written script questions ... it's just he only does it to throw in some non-sequitor reference to The Twilight Zone. If there's one sure-fire way to cast doubt and disparagement onto topics of the paranormal it's to make yourself look like a sci-fi fanboy.

valdez

Confusing interview with Dr. John Hall talking about people who hear voices, and are being stalked, and attacked, and all this is being done by the shadow government in their white vans parked across the street.  Adding to the confusion were George's erratic questions like, "could this be connected to Morgellons Disease?"
    Absolutely.

valdez

Jim Steinmeyer, magician and inventor of illusions, who has worked with the likes of Doug Henning and creepy guy David Copperfield, and biographer of a guy named John Fort, who supposedly invented the "supernatural".  George says hes allways talking about this Fort guy, but I've never heard George mention him at all.
     Last hour with Jeffrey Smith ranting against genetically modified food and especially angry with a company called Monsanto.  I visited the Monsanto website.  They seem alright to me.  Sometimes these environmentalist get all worked up over nothing.

Mops

Of Fred Bell someone once said:  He is his own kryptonite.

Lasted halfway through the theme song tonight.  Don't know if they discussed Monsanto's genetically altered seed, but it has got a lot of farmers I know riled up.  The past few years Monsanto has been sueing farmers for patent violations because pollen from their seed  crossed with the crops of family farmers.  Some of these farms are a long way from Monsanto's lab crops and the family farmers are not happy about their crops being "infected" by the pollen from genetically altered crops.  Also, the suits have in effect given Monsanto the right to trespass.   

valdez

Robert Young Pelton wondered why we were "picking on Iran", called its government a "functioning democracy", and saw no problem with it's nuclear program.  In spite of this I enjoyed the show.  He knew a lot about a lot of places, and spoke common sense to complex issues.  He also noted the British Empire's unique ability to enter a country, steal it's resources, leaving the natives with funny accents, a weird affinity for tea, screwed up geographic borders, and the necessity for the American Soldier to come in to keep everybody from killing each other when all hell breaks loose.
     George also googled something and sounded smart about it.

The things I hate most about George Noory:

His complete lack of understanding when it comes to anything technical.

I think the best recent example of this was when George had a guest (can't remember her name) who was an expert on the Antikythera Mechanism. She was trying to tell him that it would have been impossible for the Antikythera Mechanism to be the only machine of its kind, and like all technological innovations throughout history, it would have been built with the knowledge accrued from a long line of less sophisticated versions.

Of course George did not understand that, and kept insisting -- with absolutely nothing to back up his claim -- that the mechanism was probably unique in history.

Another great example: I was listening to the 2004 "ancient mysteries" interview with Graham Phillips, and Phillips was talking about New Kingdom-era ancient Egypt and pre-classical Greece. All of a sudden, our buddy George interrupts Phillips to ask, "Now the Romans were pretty strong back then too, weren't they?"

WTF WTF WTF WTF?!?!?!

But the thing that drives me absolutely nuts is when he lets callers walk all over him. You know the kinds of callers I'm talking about -- these delusional guys who call up bragging about CIA or military special forces backgrounds, with no real point to the call other than to make themselves seem like Rambo and hint at having some secret knowledge so Noory can make impressed noises.

There was a caller a few months back who was so full of shit and so obviously intent on taking 10 minutes of show time to relate his own invented mythology about himself, that it was just...bad radio. Terrible radio. Like WFAN at 4:30 a.m. when the hosts are so desperate for callers, they'll let a drunk ramble about the Mets for 15 minutes until they fall asleep on the air.

As a listener, I'll tolerate some of the more ridiculous guests (though I can't tolerate the Jose Escamillas and Richard Hoaglands) but I really can't stand listening to guys who paint themselves as some sort of Frank Dux/Steven Seagal hybrids, with their imagined covert CIA operations and their supposed knowledge of mind-blowing government plots, which of course they can't tell us about.

Entertainment can blur the line between fact and fiction, but bullshit is just bullshit.

"I think someone might have dropped me on the head as a kid."

Finally the truth.

valdez

Giving away books to anyone who sounds like Woody Woodpecker.   Whitley Strieber doesn't sound like Whitley Strieber when he's in the studio.  George wonders why people are fascinated by other people who turn into wolves.  George very happy with his new Boston affiliate, and reminds his friends at the Night Hawk Zone that they live for him.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: EvB on January 21, 2010, 01:31:07 PM
But, but -- VALDEZ!  The damned things try to HIDE on you!  haven't yo uever seen Whitley's video that proves it?!
isn't that the video that whitley makes you pay to see?  i've not seen it, but i can assure you i'll be forking over approximately $0.00 to mr. strieber for the pleasure.  anybody got a copy?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: valdez on February 10, 2010, 05:08:01 AM
     Jim Steinmeyer, magician and inventor of illusions, who has worked with the likes of Doug Henning and creepy guy David Copperfield, and biographer of a guy named John Fort, who supposedly invented the "supernatural".  George says hes allways talking about this Fort guy, but I've never heard George mention him at all.
     Last hour with Jeffrey Smith ranting against genetically modified food and especially angry with a company called Monsanto.  I visited the Monsanto website.  They seem alright to me.  Sometimes these environmentalist get all worked up over nothing.
you might consider a "documentary" (if that term is applicable) called the world according to monsanto.  interesting piece.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Mops on December 02, 2009, 01:33:28 AM
Of course one can only imagine what George inhales during normal breathing -- Brylcreem in his mustache, salves for ingrown ear hair and Lysol to mask the smell of BS.
HAHA

Curtis Loew

Quote from: Mops on December 02, 2009, 01:33:28 AM

Brylcreem in his mustache, salves for ingrown ear hair and Lysol to mask the smell of BS.     

I feel sick now.   :o

coastfan

Agreed. Noori is a complete bore. Can't even make Ed Dames interesting and entertaining like Art could.

However, the Antikythera Mechanism show was hosted by Ian Punnet, intereviewing Jo Marchant, author of Decoding the Heavens.  Anyway, the device actually is something of an anomaly in history. Nothing else even as remotely advanced has ever turned up from the ancient world. So in a way, it is unique. We just don't know what knowledge it was based on.

(Unless I missed the Noory interview.)