• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bill Nye(the science guy)

Started by bobcollum, April 10, 2009, 11:54:55 AM

bobcollum

He is going to be on for the first hour tonight. I used to love the show that was on during the 90's, made me love science even more.

Has he been on C2C before? I don't recall...either way Snoory should enjoy it, because Mr Nye is used to dealing with an adolescent level intelligence.

Bill Nye's new show actually deals with more adult science subjects. For example, genetics, diseases, sexual stuff, ect. I wouldn't call it "totally serious", but it's very different from his kid's show.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up - I'll have to tune in for that.

bobcollum

QuoteBill Nye's new show actually deals with more adult science subjects. For example, genetics, diseases, sexual stuff, ect. I wouldn't call it "totally serious", but it's very different from his kid's show.

I'll have to check that out, I didn't know. I wish they'd just have him on the whole show and forget the open lines misery.

Centurion73

Quote from: bobcollum on April 10, 2009, 12:21:05 PM
I'll have to check that out, I didn't know. I wish they'd just have him on the whole show and forget the open lines misery.

Let us call it what it is SCRIPTED LINES.

bobcollum

Quote from: Centurion73 on April 10, 2009, 06:55:42 PM
Let us call it what it is SCRIPTED LINES.

I was gonna put open lines in quotation marks, but that is better.

bobcollum

Well, I heard the first hour, and it sucked. Two middle-aged men shooting the shit.

George, in reference to his previous question, "would you go to Mars if they asked you?": 'You know, if I were to go to Mars, i'd want to be able to return to see my loved ones'.

Brilliant insight.

He did stay on for another hour to take some calls, but it was too late on the right coast for me.

Frys Girl

Quote from: bobcollum on April 11, 2009, 10:00:42 AM
Well, I heard the first hour, and it sucked. Two middle-aged men shooting the shit.

George, in reference to his previous question, "would you go to Mars if they asked you?": 'You know, if I were to go to Mars, i'd want to be able to return to see my loved ones'.

Brilliant insight.

He did stay on for another hour to take some calls, but it was too late on the right coast for me.
That was awful. However, Bill said lots of good things. Lots. I liked what he said about science and no child left behind. This next generation ain't gonna give much of a shit about science in their lives. That is scary as hell. George made a semi-decent comment, which I'm glad he attributed to someone else "My friend", about science brain drain. Similar things happened in Iran after the revolution when doctors and scientists left because the univ. turned into Right wing dreams about "intelligent design" and other kinds of cuts in science.

EvB

QuoteThis next generation ain't gonna give much of a shit about science in their lives.

Well - there ARE some things being done.  The group I work for is very much focused on getting the "underrepresented" (eesh - yet another PC term) into STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) and it IS having an impact.

bobcollum

Quotewhat he said about science and no child left behind

I agree completely with what he said about it...I don't know....(sigh)

Honestly, the political platform that has become C2C is the most disturbing part about it's departure from greatness. It was formerly what I listened to in order to escape from all that real world bullshit, as it has a way of burning me out. Now I have to shut it off to avoid it....If Art was dead, he'd be rolling in his grave.

bobcollum

Also, what is it with George and robotics? There is a pic of a man wearing a robotic exoskeleton on the site. I think it is a pretty cool field of science, but when it comes to Snoory I assume its some kind of sick twisted fetish like the one he has with dead babies. This isn't the first time, and I guarantee it won't be the last.

It makes me think of the Awesome-o episode of South Park:

QuoteMovie President: You are an incredible robot AWESOM-O, I was just wondering, are you
by chance a pleasure model?

AWESOM-O: What?

Movie President: Have you been programed to satisfy the urges of humans?

AWESOM-O: AWESOM-O does not understand.

Movie President: Let me show you. (he takes off his tie and shirt)
(the scene changes to the waiting room outside)

AWESOM-O: Lame! Not Cool! Totally Lame!

EvB

Ah - but there was a scene between Data and Tasha Yar (ST_TNG) that ended quite differently.  ;:)

bobcollum

Quote from: EvB on April 11, 2009, 12:40:55 PM
Ah - but there was a scene between Data and Tasha Yar (ST_TNG) that ended quite differently.  ;:)

**COFFEESPIT**

:o

bobcollum

Well, that was only mostly disturbing...I missed that one somehow, my father is a big fan of TNG. TThey start with all that 'pleasure-based programming' talk, and it just creeps me out, and Snoors is one of them methinks.

I'm going to sound like the biggest nerd alive, but wasn't that from TNG episode 102? Farpoint was a two-parter I thought..

Frys Girl

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on April 11, 2009, 02:45:21 PM
I'm going to sound like the biggest nerd alive, but wasn't that from TNG episode 102? Farpoint was a two-parter I thought..
YES! The first season of TNG is amazing. I never get sick of it. EvB - AMAZING pull. M ' Hat's off to you.

I solved the "mystery". That's just the prod code. It's still technically the second episode, but it's labeled 103. So the guy was right on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Now

And yes, season 1 TNG rocks. However my favorite episode is probably from the second season, episode 2 - "Where Silence Has Lease". Or perhaps even "Phantasms" from season 7. Remember this Fry?

Nboy

Sorry to stray from TNG, but I loved the bit where Bill Nye begins talking about the possibility of bacterial life on mars and the jism satchel in all his glory blurts out "Worms!"

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: bobcollum on April 11, 2009, 11:41:03 AM
If Art was dead, he'd be rolling in his grave.
haha... god damn there are some funny assholes on this site.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Frys Girl on April 11, 2009, 05:12:20 PM
YES! The first season of TNG is amazing. I never get sick of it.
wow! i've never heard anybody say that about season 1.  even the cast of sttng doesn't speak terribly highly of season 1.  is it your favorite season?  or do you just enjoy it along with the others?

MV/Liberace!

oh... and one more thing...

tasha yar?   bleh!  i always feel warm when i see her character killed off.  she was perhaps the worst character ever in the entire star trek franchise, followed by alexander roshenko.  you can throw wesley crusher in after alexander, although many would put him at the top of their list.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 21, 2009, 01:13:16 AM

tasha yar?   bleh!  i always feel warm when i see her character killed off.  she was perhaps the worst character ever in the entire star trek franchise, followed by alexander roshenko.  you can throw wesley crusher in after alexander, although many would put him at the top of their list.

Not the gorgeous, gay son of the radiant Dr. Beverly Crusher! 

Tasha Yar sucked balls, and not in any positive way. Flat, uninteresting character who was on the show 1 season too long.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on May 22, 2009, 02:49:10 AM
Not the gorgeous, gay son of the radiant Dr. Beverly Crusher! 

Tasha Yar sucked balls, and not in any positive way. Flat, uninteresting character who was on the show 1 season too long.
it's my understanding that she left because she wanted more money and they wouldn't give it.  also, she wanted a more principal role in the series, which, again, they wouldn't give.

flat and uninteresting, indeed.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 23, 2009, 12:05:50 AM
it's my understanding that she left because she wanted more money and they wouldn't give it.  also, she wanted a more principal role in the series, which, again, they wouldn't give.

flat and uninteresting, indeed.

I read that night that she was supposed to be Troi but the roles got switched just before shooting.  One of the all time great last minute casting decisions  IMO.  I bet it drove her crazy thinking that it could have been her & her jumpsuit crotch Frakes was shredding with his beard.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on May 23, 2009, 05:14:10 AM
I read that night that she was supposed to be Troi but the roles got switched just before shooting.  One of the all time great last minute casting decisions  IMO.  I bet it drove her crazy thinking that it could have been her & her jumpsuit crotch Frakes was shredding with his beard.
not so sure about that, myself.  i never really saw her as enjoying the company of a man.  however, i'm probably applying the sensibilities of the character to the actress.

and i also heard that about the casting switch.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 24, 2009, 10:13:26 AM
not so sure about that, myself.  i never really saw her as enjoying the company of a man.  however, i'm probably applying the sensibilities of the character to the actress.

and i also heard that about the casting switch.

Yeah, she looked like she had just got back from either a rally or a Sweedish doctor.  I just had to have a vehicle to carry #1's beard.

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on May 21, 2009, 01:13:16 AM

I thought Wesley was okay due to the whole "Traveller" thing. Other than that he bored me. Although he sometimes brought interesting moments out of Picard, who we all know has trouble dealing with children.

Alexander Roshenko episodes literally put me to sleep.

And if the episode beings with Troi's mother showing up, I let out a quiet sigh and mutter "dammit." Those episodes tend to revolve around romance more than science fiction, which isn't a bad thing - but I prefer the more hard sci-fi episodes where people get killed or they discover space/time anomalies and shit. Like when Picard's body shows up in a shuttle but he's still alive, or when they got stuck in the continuity loop, or when they lost a day and had to piece together what happened. Badass episodes like that were what prime time television was made for. 

xpmark12

The last time I heard Bill Nye on the show, Snoory must have given him irritable bowel syndrome.Nye didn't agree with anything Snoory said.I was a little disappointed with Nye when he discussed inventions he had patented.One was a device to throw a baseball in the proper way.Somehow I expected more from a scientific mind.The only device Snoory holds a patent for is something he cobbled together when he was cleaning toilets in the Greyhound bus terminal in Bakersfield.

EvB

QuoteOne was a device to throw a baseball in the proper way

The initial applications seems a bit lame - but prototypes like that are made all the time to prove theories in physics and kinetics.Then again - Baseball is $$$ - so if it evolves into a trainer application of some kind, it could be a good study that also makes Nye some bucks.

Borr

Was it me, or did Bill Nye sound drunk and/or exhausted when he was on? He was a little belligerent with George and the callers (I especially love how he flatly dismissed astrology), and that was highly entertaining.

I was more of a Beakman's World kid, back in the day, btw.